Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.7  (Read 178331 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: What album are you listening to? v.7
« Reply #1260 on: January 19, 2022, 01:57:13 PM »
Testament- Practice What You Preach

H.E.A.T - II

Anthrax - Spread8ng The Disease

Giant - Time To Burn

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1261 on: January 19, 2022, 01:59:27 PM »
Mary Chapin Carpenter - One Night Lonely (Live)
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1262 on: January 19, 2022, 02:47:43 PM »
There is a guy who is a drummer who lives a few houses down from me. I recently struck up a conversation and talked about the band he is in. He told me his band released their first albums so I went to look them up thinking it was going to be some sort of lower production record. Well I was completely wrong, the album kicked a lot of ass (assuming you like that style of music)

Revel - War Inside

Link for anyone interested: https://open.spotify.com/album/4r8r5fasO3UDiPzhvf9eiG?si=WknG70EcTpe2HFPsVKyRMw

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1263 on: January 19, 2022, 02:50:01 PM »
Removed to different thread.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 02:55:42 PM by Glasser »

Offline HOF

« Reply #1264 on: January 19, 2022, 02:51:59 PM »
The Flower Kings - The Rainmaker. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1265 on: January 19, 2022, 02:54:52 PM »
Metal Church - The Dark

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1266 on: January 19, 2022, 02:55:18 PM »
I've never had a problem with re-records, especially if the show had some sort of technical issue (like the guitar cutting out in under a glass moon on score).

That said when you see the original version it can be jarring. I remember seeing the untouched PPV footage of Comfortably Numb and a chunk of the last solo is cut out because David Gilmour flubs it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0B3r8NxTq8

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1267 on: January 19, 2022, 02:57:17 PM »
There is a guy who is a drummer who lives a few houses down from me. I recently struck up a conversation and talked about the band he is in. He told me his band released their first albums so I went to look them up thinking it was going to be some sort of lower production record. Well I was completely wrong, the album kicked a lot of ass (assuming you like that style of music)

Revel - War Inside

Link for anyone interested: https://open.spotify.com/album/4r8r5fasO3UDiPzhvf9eiG?si=WknG70EcTpe2HFPsVKyRMw

Wow, that's really cool. The story that is.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1268 on: January 19, 2022, 03:07:33 PM »
I've never had a problem with re-records, especially if the show had some sort of technical issue (like the guitar cutting out in under a glass moon on score).

That said when you see the original version it can be jarring. I remember seeing the untouched PPV footage of Comfortably Numb and a chunk of the last solo is cut out because David Gilmour flubs it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0B3r8NxTq8

I was at that show and remember that.

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #1269 on: January 19, 2022, 05:45:18 PM »
Pink Floyd- A Momentary Lapse of Reason.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1270 on: January 19, 2022, 07:18:50 PM »
Testament- Practice What You Preach

H.E.A.T - II

Anthrax - Spread8ng The Disease

Giant - Time To Burn

Have you heard the new Giant album? Apparently there are no original members and I guess it was thrown together by Frontiers Records. I’m not real familiar with the original band, so I was curious how it compares.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1271 on: January 19, 2022, 07:22:52 PM »
Giant - Time To Burn

Have you heard the new Giant album? Apparently there are no original members and I guess it was thrown together by Frontiers Records. I’m not real familiar with the original band, so I was curious how it compares.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1272 on: January 19, 2022, 08:06:21 PM »
 :lol

Sarcasm much?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1273 on: January 19, 2022, 09:27:58 PM »
Giant - Time To Burn

Its actually very good.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1274 on: January 19, 2022, 11:16:02 PM »

Original or Remix/Remaster?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1275 on: January 20, 2022, 06:46:21 AM »
Giant - Time To Burn

Didn’t think it was out yet. The songs I’ve heard sound ok but it’s not giant without Dann Huff. I thought the drummer and bass player were original.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1276 on: January 20, 2022, 06:47:47 AM »

One of the first albums I remember loving/listening to.

I know this wasn't directed at me but I listened to the remaster and I didn't like it. It's probably because I spent so much time listening to the original but the remaster feels really gutted.

Today I'm listening to David Gilmour - Live At Pompeii

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1277 on: January 20, 2022, 07:04:52 AM »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1278 on: January 20, 2022, 07:09:43 AM »
The Count Basie Orchestra - Live at Birdland!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1279 on: January 20, 2022, 10:18:10 AM »
Giant - Time To Burn

Didn’t think it was out yet. The songs I’ve heard sound ok but it’s not giant without Dann Huff. I thought the drummer and bass player were original.

I thought it was out. I read the review on MelodicRock.com. I’ll check it out tomorrow.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1280 on: January 20, 2022, 11:08:39 AM »
TAC, I still have a ton of old DT bootleg shows on CD somewhere.  I may have to retrieve them and re-listen.

I thought of starting a thread on the DT side for this, but I wasn't sure I wanted to commit to running a Listening Party. Obviously, not everyone has bootlegs, so it could've been more of a Live Era or Touring Cycle discussion.

Yeah, I needed a reason to run through these for sure, and I'm happy I did.

Gosh, by all means please do so.  :tup   Had you not mentioned it in the Top 100 thread, I would not have checked this thread out, and seen some of the fantastic vids. 

btw...the Baltimore show.  Hammerjacks no longer exists (sadly).  My wife got to be backstage and got Brian May's autograph there the following year.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1281 on: January 20, 2022, 11:13:58 AM »
Finishing off 2010 ... with 10 days to spare!

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1282 on: January 20, 2022, 11:17:23 AM »
TAC, I still have a ton of old DT bootleg shows on CD somewhere.  I may have to retrieve them and re-listen.

I thought of starting a thread on the DT side for this, but I wasn't sure I wanted to commit to running a Listening Party. Obviously, not everyone has bootlegs, so it could've been more of a Live Era or Touring Cycle discussion.

Yeah, I needed a reason to run through these for sure, and I'm happy I did.

Gosh, by all means please do so.  :tup   Had you not mentioned it in the Top 100 thread, I would not have checked this thread out, and seen some of the fantastic vids. 

btw...the Baltimore show.  Hammerjacks no longer exists (sadly).  My wife got to be backstage and got Brian May's autograph there the following year.

OMG! Hammerjacks!!!!! Flashback alert. Met guitarist Drew "blood" Andriani from the band Indestroy there. Anyone remember their song "Dead Girls Don't Say No" ?  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1283 on: January 20, 2022, 05:56:10 PM »
The Moody Blues - Seventh Sojourn

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1284 on: January 20, 2022, 08:24:25 PM »
Giant - Time To Burn

I thought it was out. I read the review on MelodicRock.com. I’ll check it out tomorrow.

Didn't know people still looked at melodicrock.com!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1285 on: January 20, 2022, 09:34:26 PM »

I know this wasn't directed at me but I listened to the remaster and I didn't like it. It's probably because I spent so much time listening to the original but the remaster feels really gutted.

I got this album after Delicate Sound of Thunder, and while I liked the songs, I always preferred listening to them on the live album. Still listen to DSoT a lot but haven't listened to AMLoR in ages. Was curious about the new release, but obviously not enough to check it out.

I recall a YouTube comment on Run Like Hell David's Live at Pompeii about how you know the light show must be something when the band has to put on sunglasses.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1286 on: January 21, 2022, 06:06:09 AM »
Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1287 on: January 21, 2022, 06:30:30 AM »

And Bat Out of Hell II: Back into Hell
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1288 on: January 21, 2022, 10:14:40 AM »

And Bat Out of Hell II: Back into Hell
Yep, that one now.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1289 on: January 21, 2022, 11:18:34 AM »
Elvin Bishop & Charlie Musselwhite - 100 Years of Blues

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1290 on: January 21, 2022, 04:15:46 PM »
Finished off my Awake Era listening this week over the last couple of days.

The Denver show is a radio broadcast and the Tokyo is the Forbidden Dreams boot.

I actually don't mind Derek on this tour. I love the piano "improv" in Take The Time. Personally, I wished they'd have dropped the Awake Jam and put in another song.

Pre food poisoning, James was killing it in the fall of 1994. I only have one more boot from Europe which for some reason isn't on my iPod. His performances are definitely affected, but I feel like he sounds better in the Tokyo show fresh off his injury than he did on the FII tour. But, we'll get to that next week.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #1291 on: January 21, 2022, 04:30:34 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1292 on: January 21, 2022, 04:31:55 PM »
Love it!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1293 on: January 21, 2022, 04:32:35 PM »
Finished off my Awake Era listening this week over the last couple of days.

The Denver show is a radio broadcast and the Tokyo is the Forbidden Dreams boot.

I actually don't mind Derek on this tour. I love the piano "improv" in Take The Time. Personally, I wished they'd have dropped the Awake Jam and put in another song.

Pre food poisoning, James was killing it in the fall of 1994. I only have one more boot from Europe which for some reason isn't on my iPod. His performances are definitely affected, but I feel like he sounds better in the Tokyo show fresh off his injury than he did on the FII tour. But, we'll get to that next week.

While I haven't fully followed, have you had all these for years mate and did you just burn them to cd yourself?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1294 on: January 21, 2022, 04:36:58 PM »
I've had them all for years. I've gotten them through trading, downloading, and other means. I have them all burned to CD and I made generic covers for them.

I haven't listened to most of them in a few years, so I thought I'd theme out some listening like Chad is doing. So I'll spend a week or so going through each album's tour cycle.