Author Topic: Vinyl  (Read 1053 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Vinyl
« on: December 05, 2022, 04:08:17 PM »
Looking for suggestions as to where I can get vintage vinyl. Besides eBay or goodwill. eBay is hit and miss and goodwill is 98% Roger Williams and Sing Along With Mitch. And like I said, unless it’s like a recent release, I don’t want to get a modern release of a classic album (unless the price is right).

I also don’t want to pay an arm and a leg.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Vinyl
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 04:12:15 PM »
Get on discogs dude

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 11:50:06 PM »
Get on discogs dude
That plus look around your area for local record shops that sell used records.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 04:37:01 PM »
I would say a used record store is your best bet to start with. Discogs is great but depending on the seller you never really know what you're getting quality-wise. Discogs sellers also sometimes mistake their pressings, if that's something you care about. Besides, sometimes part of the fun is in crate digging. Also if there is a record collectors expo in your area those can be really fun and offer a wide selection.

As an aside, I'm always selling records from my personal collection. If you're in the US, drop me a PM and I'll send you my inventory list.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 08:49:07 AM »
Check out antique and thrift stores in your area.  That way you can look at the record yourself instead of taking a chance on ordering a scratched up album from the internet.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 10:16:30 AM »
Looking for suggestions as to where I can get vintage vinyl. Besides eBay or goodwill. eBay is hit and miss and goodwill is 98% Roger Williams and Sing Along With Mitch. And like I said, unless it’s like a recent release, I don’t want to get a modern release of a classic album (unless the price is right).

Discogs

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2022, 10:33:57 AM »
Aso, r/vinyldeals is a good place to keep an eye out for deals on newer releases.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2022, 10:43:55 AM »

Where are you?

Discogs is the way to go, frankly.  Even the local places to me (Redscroll Records in Wallingford for one) are on Discogs too.

I wouldn't rule out pawn shops too.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2022, 08:20:21 PM »
Never thought about pawn shops. All the thrift stores by me have 98% before 1970, with the vast majority being Roger Miller, Andy Williams, Sing Along with Mitch, and Al Hirt. Most post 1970 releases consist of Barry Manilow and Barbra Streisand. Once in a while I’ll hit the jackpot, but those times are few and far between.

I signed up on Discogs and plan on doing more exploring once I get Christmas money.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2022, 08:30:17 PM »
Splent, I cannot imagine Chicago doesn't have a bunch of used record shops.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2022, 06:08:17 AM »

This!

Also, there is literally vinyl for sale everywhere. I know the OP said they are looking for 'used' albums, but I routinely see records marked down at Target, Walmart, etc.

I saw the last Megadeth album sitting on an endcap marked down to $12 a few years back, so records are definitely not difficult to find right now.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2022, 05:05:32 PM »
my old high school buddy runs an incredible Vinyl Facebook group, which I would recommend to anyone who's a vinyl head... very wholesome (hence the name), absolutely zero ripping people off bullshit, a lot of incredible sales, and also a great place TO sell:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/wholesomevinyl

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2022, 05:06:33 PM »

This!

Also, there is literally vinyl for sale everywhere. I know the OP said they are looking for 'used' albums, but I routinely see records marked down at Target, Walmart, etc.

I saw the last Megadeth album sitting on an endcap marked down to $12 a few years back, so records are definitely not difficult to find right now.

YUP... got Abbey Road for 12 bucks at Target on clearance just last night!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2022, 06:11:14 AM »
Yes, while the release price of vinyls has increased significantly here, there are also waaay more sales these days. I got a lot of good deals recently. And since I love a lot of different types of music and artists, it is more financially viable for me to focus on deals that appeal to me than going for specific releases (except for my absolute favourites and collectors stuff).