Author Topic: European Tour 2022  (Read 3141 times)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
European Tour 2022
« on: August 31, 2021, 02:11:41 AM »

Offline gborland

Re: European Tour 2022
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 02:22:33 AM »
Belfast and Newcastle... but no Glasgow or Manchester. How bizarre.
Graham Borland

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 02:34:58 AM »
Sad to see them skipping Greece once again, kind of expected unfortunately. I can see myself going to either Bulgaria or Turkey.

Offline V_R11

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 02:42:15 AM »
Is that all the dates or is there possibly more coming later?
Seasons change and so can I

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 02:49:57 AM »
Finally Turkey date! YAY!
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 03:41:04 AM »
Belfast!! I actually can't believe that - I don't think they've ever played here before.

At least I won't have to book flights and accommodation for this one.  ;D

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 05:56:32 AM »
Is that all the dates or is there possibly more coming later?

Inside Out post said there would be more dates tba.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 06:45:55 AM »
Can’t see me travelling to London or Newcastle for this so may give this tour a miss for the first time since I started going to see them on the FII tour.  I suppose if the album totally blows me away, I may change my mind but I’m not expecting it to.

Offline Lazlow Panaflex

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2021, 06:35:13 PM »
Belfast!! I actually can't believe that - I don't think they've ever played here before.

At least I won't have to book flights and accommodation for this one.  ;D

Likewise!! Delighted I won't have to book flights and hotels and deal with all the usual travel nonsense!

Any chance you have a Ticketmaster presale code? 

I disabled my Ticketmaster emails a while ago as they kept sending me updates about Olly bloody Murs and Arctic fecking Monkeys, so I think I've missed out on the presale code email.  And I'm not an SSE customer so no code there either  :'(

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2021, 11:24:32 AM »
Sorry dude, don’t have a presale code.

It will be nice to see the SSE used as a gig venue again, rather than a mass vaccination center!

I assume it will be standing tickets for the main floor area, with the usual arena seating around the sides, but who knows what the post-Covid rules will be..

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 11:26:30 AM »
Bordeaux, here i am!
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2021, 12:23:43 PM »
Amsterdam, I am in for sure.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Pettor

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2021, 03:40:33 AM »
So this is not An Evening With but a ~2 hour DT concert with support? Doesn't matter I will go anyway but just making sure.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2021, 04:25:09 AM »
I imagine Wembley will be all-seated again. DT have only played all seater shows in the UK for many years now. The last few times DT played Wembley they were horrible shows with no atmosphere. I was so glad they made the move back to Hammersmith for the last tours, a much better venue even if they insist on the all-seater format.

DT at the horrible, atmosphere free SEE arena? For the first time in 30 years I'm thinking of giving this tour a miss.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline gborland

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2021, 05:05:24 AM »
DT at the horrible, atmosphere free SEE arena? For the first time in 30 years I'm thinking of giving this tour a miss.

Same here. Wembley is tolerable for a standing gig, but if it's all-seated then I will sadly not be going.
Graham Borland

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2021, 05:53:20 AM »
Tickets for Wembley - £92.40 stalls, £76.10 cheap seats, £59.50 nosebleeds. Gouge your loyal fans for every penny, why don't you?

Offline jbrum77634

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2021, 06:18:23 AM »
Can't really understand the logic of Wembley unless Hammersmith is booked - the last 2 shows at the latter weren't full, for the second night all rear blocks of the circle were empty if memory serves, maybe sold 5000 tickets over 2 nights?   Tickets there were £90 and surely had a lot to do with the sparse attendance on the second night.
I agree with others...Wembley is a soulless shed, personally my least favourite venue in the capital full stop but it's a Saturday so that helps.

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2021, 07:45:42 AM »
All-seater is OK for Lionel Richie or Cliff Richard, but DT are a metal band for feck sake! Seating in the stands for those who want to sit, standing on the floor for those who want to rock - why is that so hard?

Also, when the ticket prices shot up a few years back we were told it was because of investment in the show - better lightshow, lasers, visual, etc. I've not seen any of that. I'd expect a big U2-style extravaganza for those prices. I guess this is just the cost of touring in a post-covid world.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2021, 04:29:28 PM »
When did DT become an Arena level band in the U.K.?  They are no way big enough to even half fill these venues unless their popularity has drastically increased since the last tour.  This is a definite no this time around sadly.  First tour I’ve missed since FII.

Online geeeemo

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2021, 10:05:08 PM »
When did DT become an Arena level band in the U.K.?  They are no way big enough to even half fill these venues unless their popularity has drastically increased since the last tour.  This is a definite no this time around sadly.  First tour I’ve missed since FII.

Could it be spacing for Covid?

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2021, 03:42:21 AM »
When did DT become an Arena level band in the U.K.?  They are no way big enough to even half fill these venues unless their popularity has drastically increased since the last tour.

They first played Wembley in 2007 on the Systematic Chaos tour, so since then. They've played there 4 times and have never come close to filling it. I think they might have played arenas outside of London on earlier tours, but I can't be bothered to google it. Hammersmith has a capacity of 3,400 and a good chunk of the people there last time were there for both nights. Wembley is 12,000. Last time they were there in 2014 they had the back and the sides curtained off and they were just playing to the stalls.

I'm not going to list all the reasons why I haven't enjoyed recent DT tours as much as I used to, because I've moaned about that before, but it kind of breaks my heart that DT are coming to the UK and I just don't want to see them. It's like having an ex-girlfriend who comes to town every so often and wants to go for a coffee - it's fun catching up, but after a few years you have to say no, I just don't want to do this any more.

It's a bad sign for the band that there are more loyal fans on-line saying they'll give this one a miss than there are fans excited about seeing them.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2021, 05:38:48 AM »
I know they’ve done Wembley Arena before in London but not in the rest of the U.K. I don’t think.  From what I understand they’ve never come close to filling it even at the height of their popularity in the Roadrunner era.  I certainly don’t see them filling it now.  Why not Albert Hall or Hammersmith unless already booked.  Outside of London, it’s been mid-size theatres since SFAM, not sure why the promoter is suddenly putting them in the big arenas.  Even on the last tour where they played all of Scenes, they only did two nights at Hammersmith and they were the only shows in England.  Now for a standard tour with no nostalgia factor and a support act, it’s Wembley Arena and Newcastle Arena?

I hope it’s successful for them obviously but I won’t be going this time around to see them in what I expect to be a cavernous three quarters empty arena.

Offline gborland

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2021, 07:18:50 AM »
When they did the Progressive Nation tour with Opeth and BigElf they played the SECC in Glasgow which is another huge arena. It was three-quarters empty.
Graham Borland

Offline Peter1960

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2021, 08:03:26 AM »
Outside of London, it’s been mid-size theatres since SFAM, not sure why the promoter is suddenly putting them in the big arenas.  Even on the last tour where they played all of Scenes, they only did two nights at Hammersmith and they were the only shows in England. 

Dare I say it but is this because of greedy promoters ?

I would say that popularity wise, DT hit its peak from about 2007-2009 in the UK. They played Wembley Arena twice during this period and again in 2012 and 2014 in the MM era; since then its been the Palladium (TA tour 2016) and Hammersmith Apollo (2017 and 2020). I would say the latter is about the right size venue for them.

I am astonished that they are now playing arena sized venues, particularly Wembley Arena, where they last played in 2014. I doubt that the band have significantly increased their fanbase and popularity since then, and thus there is no reason to play Wembley again. And since I imagine it would cost a promoter more to put on a show at Wembley Arena than Hammersmith Apollo, this is reflected in the ticket price.

I am a long term fan and decided to buy a ticket for the Wembley Arena show, but £96.40 for a seat 18 rows from the front is diabolical. The promoter has obviously decided to screw us all by booking the band into a venue that he knows they cannot fill, allowing him the opportunity to maximise his profit margin. £80 for a ticket (face value) for a band like DT, as much as we love them, is outrageous, compared to what other bands of a higher standing are charging.

It is sad to see from other comments that other long term fans won't be going, and it will probably be fairly dispiriting for the band to be playing in 3 arena venues that have sections curtained off, because they can't be filled.

Offline hacko

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2021, 12:38:33 PM »
Yeah I think this is due to promoters. They probably took the total of the 2 previous runs, did some "people have so much cash now and are desperate for events" back of the envelope math, realised there was nothing in between the Apollo and the Arena and went with the Arena. Or perhaps the Apollo was just completely unavailable in those dates - we don't know.

I was lucky enough to grab 2nd row seats last night (on JP's side too!), so I'm happy with spending £90 this time around. I have no idea how I even found a link that worked for the presale - it wasn't on my email, nor on social media nor anything else, it was a random website that took me to the ticketmaster presale link. If I'd found this post sooner I'd have pasted it here no prob.

However, when I checked this morning and row A was still only selling like row 15........ yeah it doesn't bode too well for sales. I hope I'm wrong, but I think it'll be quite sparse.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2021, 01:08:50 PM »
I'll believe it when I'll see it, for now: YAY!!!!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2021, 01:55:27 PM »
Tickets for Wembley - £92.40 stalls, £76.10 cheap seats, £59.50 nosebleeds. Gouge your loyal fans for every penny, why don't you?
Yikes!!

I skipped the Distance over Time tour because I thought the prices were outrageous at the time, but I figured I'd be willing to dig deep this time because with the last year and a half I'm all about seizing the day - who knows how many more chances I'll get to see them live, right?

Then I saw the price list, and good grief! Muse charged way less than that, and they had a 100-foot robot shooting lasers out of its mouth!! I was planning to take two people, and would prefer good seats (having spent most of their Astonishing show looking at a pillar). That'd set me back £277.20 PLUS travel PLUS accommodation!

Goodness, what a shame.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2021, 12:13:26 PM »
I have nothing to base this on, but could it be that the venues are desperate and are taking a hit just to bring some revenue in after being dormant for so long? Perhaps that (and the possibility that their preferred venues are unavailable) is the reason why DT's suddenly booked into these larger venues.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2021, 02:32:10 PM »
I have nothing to base this on, but could it be that the venues are desperate and are taking a hit just to bring some revenue in after being dormant for so long? Perhaps that (and the possibility that their preferred venues are unavailable) is the reason why DT's suddenly booked into these larger venues.

I think that too + the possibility that, if limitations get stricter they may have the chance to have more room for people and so to not be forced to cancel the gig.