Poll

Which album bundle would you take for the rest of your life?

The 90's: Images and Words, Awake, A Change of Seasons, Falling Into Infinity, Metropolis Part II: SFAM
90 (72%)
The 00's:  Six Degrees of Innter Turbulence, Train of Thought, Octavarium, Systematic Chaos, Black Clouds & Silver Linings
25 (20%)
The 10's: A Dramatic Turn of Events, Dream Theater, The Astonishing, Distance Over Time
10 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 125

Author Topic: Dream Theater for the rest of your life. The 90's vs the 00's vs the 10's  (Read 5732 times)

Offline BeardedGentlemanHistorian

Three bundles. One choice. You can only listen to one of them for the rest of your life. Which decade of DT music will get your pick?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
90s, any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lovethedrake

I suspect this will be a very lopsided poll.

The 90’s by far. 

Typically when a best album poll is done on here the top 4 are I&W, SFAM, SDOIT, and Awake not in any order.   So considering 3 of those 4 are 90’s it won’t be close.

Those also happen to be my top 4 sfam, I&w, Sdoit, awake in that order.  DoT made a serious run at it but not quite there.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I suspect this will be a very lopsided poll.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline darkshade

I would miss SDoIT, Octavarium the song, a few songs from the remaining albums and the general JP heaviness of the 00s, but I couldn't stand to not be able to listen to IaW or Awake again, and FII and Scenes are good enough. I assume we'd also get ACOS with the 90s selections. Plus you get all 3 DT keyboardists, so nice variety.
I wouldn't miss any Mangini-era albums/songs.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
The 00's for me. I actually enjoy a lot of songs from these albums. And 6DOIT is my favorite album as well.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline WildRanger

Offline HOF

The 90s albums are pretty much the only ones I listen to anyway, so 90s easily. I would miss bits of SDOIT but that's about it.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
2000s. SDOIT, Octavarium, and BC&SL are all top-tier for me, and TOT and SC are great as well.

Offline pg1067

The '90s:  Three of my top four DT albums (including the top two) and one bottom four album.

The '00s:  One of my top four albums and two of my bottom four.

The '10s:  No top four albums and one bottom four album.

Easiest choice ever.

One question, though:  What about WDADU?  Do we all get that one?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
One question, though:  What about WDADU?  Do we all get that one?
You can have mine.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I have to go with the '10s.  That '90s run is extremely strong.  But they are just such a better band now than they ever were, and their albums are so much more consistent.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Peter Mc

Amazed that anyone is saying anything but the 90’s here but DT have been so consistent over the years that I probably shouldn’t be.  It’s the 90’s for me though, no contest.  DT are still making good albums but, in the 90’s, they made great albums and Falling Into Infinity.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
90's easily.
I&W and SFAM are my two favorite DT albums. Awake is Top 4.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

Running with the '90s, no question, especially with IAW and SFAM, and Awake is no slouch either, and FII has some good stuff too. If we toss in ACOS and the Cleaning Out The Closet B-Sides, it's a no-brainer.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 04:02:12 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Dream Theater's golden era for me was SFAM to Octavarium, so I'm going with the 00's.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline krands85

Each has one of my top 3 DT albums, but the 90s has my #1 and #4, so it's an easy call for me.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
This is not even a contest. I hate losing 6DOIT, but the 90's catalogue is just perfect.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Once again, can’t lose Scenes From a Memory but also can’t lose Octavarium.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I&W and Awake are alternately my #1 and #1a favorite albums. They are also ones I do not listen to often, but would also feel the worst about never listening to again. They will never be given "retired favorites" status. Still... the 00s have a ton of material I would miss as well. I enjoy the 10s output, but they aren't in the running here.

This is closer than I would have thought. I will go against my instinct and say 00s.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
90s in a heartbeat.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
TOT is my fav DT album but even I can't go past the 90's.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
90s: One top four, one bottom four.
00s: Two top four, two bottom four.
10s: One top four, no bottom four.

This was actually really hard lol. I went with 00s because I think the greatness of SDOIT or 8VM far outshine what I dislike about SC and BCSL which are still good albums imo. The 10s having no bottom four albums might make more sense for me to pick, but DOT, even as a top four, I don't think quite makes it to SDOIT and 8VM levels. Plus, the 00s actually has 5 albums instead of just 4 (or 4.5 in the case of the 90s), and more DT is just better regardless. :biggrin:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
This is one of those weird things where if I ranked them it would be:

'90s
'00s
'10s

which implies that my interest is waning over time, but that's not the case.  It's just that there is an album or two in the first groups that set them apart (I&W, SFAM, 8V). 

EDIT:  Corrected apostrophe abuse.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 07:38:23 AM by Stadler »

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
Same as everyone, even if SDOIT changed my life, I can't imagine not listening to I&W and SFAM etc :D
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline DTA

90’s DT is some of the most stunning music I’ve ever heard. 20+ years later and I’m still amazed when I hear some of the songs from that decade. 00’s is pretty spotty and only 6DOIT would rank high for me. The 10’s have produced 4 high quality albums that rival a lot of the 90’s work but just fall short due to the 90’s being so strong.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

I just went through the catalog this month (chronologically backwards), and was EASILY most impressed with the staying power of Six Degrees and Octavarium. It had been a long time since listening to those albums, and I enjoyed them immensely. Train and Systematic are also very, VERY fun albums. As much as Images had 8 top notch songs (probably the best collection of 8 songs in the catalog), and Scenes started off the best run for the band (1999-2006)... the best decade was the '00s.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
90s without a doubt.

Also, public service announcement: 90s is plural, not possessive, so don't f-ing add an apostrophe.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Yes and no.  "90s" is short for "1990s," so there actually should be an apostrophe, but just not where most people mistakenly put it.  Correct:  '90s.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yes and no.  "90s" is short for "1990s," so there actually should be an apostrophe, but just not where most people mistakenly put it.  Correct:  '90s.

True!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline emtee

Yep.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Dream Theater for the rest of your life. The 90's vs the 00's vs the 10's
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2021, 07:37:13 AM »
90s without a doubt.

Also, public service announcement: 90s is plural, not possessive, so don't f-ing add an apostrophe.

If I can't use a comma, I'ma going to use the apostrophe.  I'm not running for Chief Of Grammar Police.  :) :) :) :) :)

(Seriously, thanks for the insight.)

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2021, 07:55:12 AM »
I spent the first year of being a fan listening solely to Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Octavarium, and Black Clouds and Silver Linings (which remains my favorite album), so I have to go 00's

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2021, 04:17:03 PM »

90s without a doubt.

Eh, this is one of those things that's technically incorrect, but generally done anyway for readability.

Online Trav86

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2021, 06:45:57 PM »
90’s DT is some of the most stunning music I’ve ever heard. 20+ years later and I’m still amazed when I hear some of the songs from that decade. 00’s is pretty spotty and only 6DOIT would rank high for me. The 10’s have produced 4 high quality albums that rival a lot of the 90’s work but just fall short due to the 90’s being so strong.

This. Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds & Silver Linings are the low points of their catalog, for me.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 06:54:37 PM by Trav86 »
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?