Luka Doncic
0 (0%)
Jayson Tatum
1 (16.7%)
OTHER
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: April 17, 2022, 07:54:44 AM

Author Topic: NBA 2021-22---- NBA LEGEND Bill Russell 1934-2022 RIP  (Read 28501 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: NBA 2021-22.....The Joker lost in the shuffle against Celtics
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2022, 06:58:54 AM »
The Lakers miss the playoffs.

To make it even better, the team that passed them in the standings, New Orleans, now receives the Lakers 1st round pick in the next draft due to a previous trade.

Oh that is hilarious.

What is the deal with Zion? Is it me, or is he a major bust?

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2022, 07:48:30 AM »
Nice to see that the Raptors are now guaranteed no worse than 6th, avoiding the play in round.  Hard to fathom they had a chance at home-court advantage over the 76rs as recently as the weekend.  I'm not sure which matchup I prefer for them... 76rs or Bucks.  I think it's the former.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2022, 07:52:03 AM »
The Bucks are the team to beat, so I'd want to avoid them. Philly isn't going anywhere.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2022, 08:50:09 AM »
author=TAC link=topic=56757.msg2873022#msg2873022 date=1649253123]
The Bucks are the team to beat, so I'd want to avoid them. Philly isn't going anywhere.

This is correct.  ;)
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2022, 10:17:21 AM »
In fact the Bucks are going to BLOW OUT the Celts tomorrow night. C's are in Chicago tonight and are a little banged up. I can easily see them going for this more winnable game tonight, and resting or going easy on the b2b.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2022, 07:29:07 PM »

To make it even better, the team that passed them in the standings, New Orleans, now receives the Lakers 1st round pick in the next draft due to a previous trade.
This season for the Lakers was pretty rough. I suspect we will see Westbrook out during the off season.

Anthony Davis is the one they should chuck.  What a bozo that guy he is.  Can't stay healthy despite being in what should be his prime and plays like a fraud half the time when he is out there.  James will take the brunt of the blame for the season, because it is always LBJ's fault no matter what :lol, but Davis and the Lakers front office have to wear this embarrassment of a season the most, IMO.

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2022, 05:22:41 AM »

Oh that is hilarious.

What is the deal with Zion? Is it me, or is he a major bust?
Jury still out. He's young enough to fulfill his hype....and he has certainly shown flashes of living up to it already. But yeah, kind of like Anthony Davis. You gotta stay healthy to make an impact.

The consensus is that he needs to lose weight to put less stress on his body. Blowing out a pair of sneakers is more rare than breaking a backboard!

Re: NBA 2021-22.....Regular season winding down....who's the MVP?
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2022, 07:56:44 AM »
Added a poll. Who you got....and why?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2022, 08:06:59 AM »
It should be Giannis, but voters are stupid and will give it to Jokic because he has put up crazy good stats in categories no one cares about.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2022, 08:30:02 AM »
Giannis is the man right now, I don’t see how it’s even debatable.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2022, 09:04:43 AM »
Giannis is the man right now, I don’t see how it’s even debatable.

Yup.  Completely agree.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2022, 05:41:47 AM »
It should be Giannis, but voters are stupid and will give it to Jokic because he has put up crazy good stats in categories no one cares about.

What stats are those?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2022, 06:17:30 AM »

What stats are those?

For starters, Win Share and PER, two stats I never see talked about in regards to basketball players, yet all of a sudden they are apparently super important.  That could be the emphasis on such things by the analytics nerds out there, so maybe I missed that memo.  I read a fact last week that only once in NBA history has a player whose team finished as the 6 seed or lower in his conference won the MVP, and that was Westbrook a few years ago (and I think most know now how dumb it was to give that to him).  If Jokic, whose Nuggets are the 6 seed, was lapping the field, then I'd say, yeah, give it to him again this year, but with Luka, Giannis and Embiid all being right there as well, nah.  Giannis is the best player in the league and had another unbelievable season, but just like voters didn't want to give it to Jordan or James too many times, they are now doing the same with Giannis.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2022, 08:01:58 AM »
I think the deeper issue is that almost every major award is regular season-based, but the regular season is becoming more and more irrelevant. I wish the NBA had Ballon d'Or (Player of the Year) and Conn Smythe (Best Playoff Performer) equivalents.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2022, 05:12:06 PM »
I liked Colin Cowherd's idea that in order to get NBA players to play more and stop with this load management crap, they need to a) play less games, b) get rid of back to backs, and c) make it mandatory to play a certain percentage of games for any players to be eligible for awards (MVP, Defensive Player of the Year), All-NBA, etc.  I think that would all be a good start. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2022, 05:19:19 PM »
GO Cavs!

« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2022, 05:31:22 AM »

What stats are those?

For starters, Win Share and PER, two stats I never see talked about in regards to basketball players, yet all of a sudden they are apparently super important.  That could be the emphasis on such things by the analytics nerds out there, so maybe I missed that memo.  I read a fact last week that only once in NBA history has a player whose team finished as the 6 seed or lower in his conference won the MVP, and that was Westbrook a few years ago (and I think most know now how dumb it was to give that to him).  If Jokic, whose Nuggets are the 6 seed, was lapping the field, then I'd say, yeah, give it to him again this year, but with Luka, Giannis and Embiid all being right there as well, nah.  Giannis is the best player in the league and had another unbelievable season, but just like voters didn't want to give it to Jordan or James too many times, they are now doing the same with Giannis.

I think those metrics are actually supposed to assess a player in more of a context to TEAM value, and yes.....success, but not in just wins and losses. Things like getting other players involved (Jokic scores high because he is a playmaker....and perhaps the best passer in the game), reliance for clutch plays, team defense, how the team does when X player is NOT on the court, etc. It's the antithesis to looking at stats at face value....because just the mere numbers....like Westbrook and Harden triple doubles.....don't always portray the entire story.

Those analytics speak to the root word value.....as it applies to "valuable" in Most Valuable Player. But I don't know if that means they are "super important" to everyone who has a vote for MVP. There's no way to know all the criteria they used to cast their vote.

Also, there is a natural geographical bias. Not even complaining about that....rather, I am acknowledging it as valid. Jokic plays for Denver....which to esp. people on the east coast....might as well be Siberia. Understandable. It's not a big market city, though it is a major hub and growing....seemingly exponentially. And....the time zone difference creates these gaps in exposure to players who play for those teams that play their games much later. So that even if Denver is on television.....the majority of people don't even watch those, what would be 10:30 Eastern Time starts. The Nuggets home games are typically at 9pm Eastern, but if they are on National TV, they are usually playing someone from the West and are on the second half of the doubleheaders 90% of the time.

So, accordingly....there's a disconnect. Further proof of that is awareness of the Nuggets team dynamics this year. And while I have heard some broadcasters mention this in their assessment of Jokic as an MVP candidate....the fact they came close to winning 50 games with their second and third leading scorers on the team out all (Jamal Murray, who...if you remember the Bubble series with Utah a couple seasons back, you will recognize his infinite value)....or virtually all (Michael Porter Jr) season.....it's not been said enough to where the average NBA fan would even be aware. What other team can say that about their team? The Clippers, yes.....Leonard out all year and George missing many games. But there's no MVP candidate there. In that regard, while Jokic would be the first to tell you it's ultimately no excuse.....it is nonetheless a factor....and therefore not fair to penalize him for his team's success as only the 6th seed.

And yes.....just looking at the stats alone. They do still relate to a player's value....particularly if the points, rebounds, assists (the three major ones, typically)....are compiled in key moments during the games. So looking at Jokic's year.....he was better than last year, and he won it then. In fact, he had a HISTORIC season. First player ever to score 2,000 points, grab 1,000 rebounds, and 500 assists. If you're looking at something either objectively or subjectively....it would be hard not to take that into account.

Finally, I do admit my bias. I have seen Jokic play every game since he came into the league. I have watched him grow and understand his value to his team's success. And he's not flashy...can't jump, doesn't dunk much. Yes, until they make a deeper run in the playoffs, he will be not be recognized in the same way as other champions.  Time will tell. And the problem with reliance on one player to do so much is....in the playoffs....the Warriors, for example...will be focusing on him so much. So until he has had a couple of runs with an almost fully healthy squad....I think the jury will still be out (on his evolving evaluation of greatness) for awhile yet. 

« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2022, 05:33:19 AM »
I see in the poll.....no one voted for Embiid. But also....someone voted for "OTHER". Who was that player?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2022, 06:28:56 AM »
I am guessing someone who is a Kevin Durant fan, likely someone from the media :P,. as the media is totally in the tank for Durant (in general, not in the MVP race), which is why he is often referred to as "the best player in the league," a laughable assertion, unless a guy who wasn't All-NBA either of the last two seasons and likely won't even be All-NBA first team this season can really be the best player in the league.  Jordan, Bird, Kareem, Magic, LeBron, etc. never went three seasons in a row during their alleged prime without being All-NBA 1st team and still were slurped enough to be called the best player in the league.  Kevin Durant must have dirt on the media.  :lol :lol

Also, if someone wants to counter with the "Durant has been hurt at times" excuse, that makes my point stronger, as durability matters!  You can't be the best player and miss as many games as Durant has in his prime years.  Contrast that to James, who was an iron man for most of his career until the last few years when most would concede he is a bit past his prime (but still a great player).

Re: NBA 2021-22.....Playoffs? Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs?
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2022, 06:48:11 PM »
Go Nuggets!  :flame:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2022, 04:32:58 PM »
Kyrie gave the Celtics fans a middle finger, but the C's gave the last salute!  WOOOOTTT!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline T-ski

« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2022, 04:53:32 PM »
I, for one, can’t wait for Boston and Brooklyn to go a hard seven.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2022, 05:51:25 PM »
Definitely good for the Bucks!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2022, 05:54:19 PM »
Definitely good for the Bucks!

If the Celtics can win a longer series, I'd almost prefer that with them winning with adversity knowing that can overcome it. Plus, it increases the chances of Williams returning.
As long as they emerge healthy of course.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2022, 06:07:59 PM »
Agreed buy 40 minutes plus a night is rough.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2022, 06:11:14 PM »
 :loser:
Agreed buy 40 minutes plus a night is rough.

I know. It's a balance I guess.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2022, 11:25:22 AM »
Speaking of staying healthy, the Raptors are not.  Scottie Barnes is out tonight with an ankle injury (that's never good!).  Trent Jr and Young are also doubtful.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2022, 05:57:06 PM »
Kyrie Irving gives the fingers to fans on multiple occasions during a game on live TV and then says, "suck my d**k, bitch," to one after the game...and gets a whopping fine of 50K.

This is Adam Silver's NBA, where the inmates now run the asylum.  What a joke of a league it is now.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2022, 06:29:50 PM »
Kyrie Irving gives the fingers to fans on multiple occasions during a game on live TV and then says, "suck my d**k, bitch," to one after the game...and gets a whopping fine of 50K.

This is Adam Silver's NBA, where the inmates now run the asylum.  What a joke of a league it is now.

Don't worry. Us racist,  scorned lover fans will ratchet it up tomorrow night. He won't be able to help himself.

You know, bygones be bygones.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2022, 03:06:50 PM »
It's F U Wednesday Kyrie.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2022, 04:13:07 PM »
It's going to be insane!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2022, 04:26:44 PM »
Delivering pizza to the night shift at 7pm and then it's game on!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2022, 06:09:51 PM »

Don't worry. Us racist,  scorned lover fans will ratchet it up tomorrow night. He won't be able to help himself.

You know, bygones be bygones.

It's only a matter of time when there is another Malice at the Palace.  And when it does, the league and the sports media who have been soft on Irving this week will both be culpable. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2022, 06:28:23 PM »
Yup.

Right now, Brooklyn more physical than C's.  Tatum cold so far. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2022, 07:06:57 PM »
Celtics are screwed.  Neither Durant nor Irving is making shots, yet the Nets are up 7.