Poll

Andy Summers or The Edge?

Andy Summers (The Police)
18 (69.2%)
The Edge (U2)
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Andy Summers vs. The Edge?  (Read 985 times)

Offline WildRanger

Andy Summers vs. The Edge?
« on: August 22, 2021, 09:04:03 AM »
Which guitarist do you like better/appreciate more and why?

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Andy Summers vs. The Edge?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 02:06:23 PM »
Andy Summers, and it's not close.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 02:17:16 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DTA

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 02:29:41 PM »
I'm only familiar with Andy's Police output of 5 albums, while Edge has 40 years of U2 evolving through a multitude of styles and trends so it's gotta be The Edge purely for the variety.

Online HOF

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 02:45:01 PM »
I'm only familiar with Andy's Police output of 5 albums, while Edge has 40 years of U2 evolving through a multitude of styles and trends so it's gotta be The Edge purely for the variety.

I’m in the same boat in terms of familiarity. Both are unique and interesting guitarists, but I’m just much more familiar with The Edge.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 07:58:40 AM »
The Edge, and IT'S not even close.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 08:51:50 AM »

How it's not even close?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 09:14:36 AM »

How it's not even close?

I think The Edge is a better guitar player, all things considered, than Andy Summers.   He's written, played, and produced some of the greatest music of the 21st century.   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 10:47:38 AM »
I'm not voting because my familiarity with these guys extends to only about two albums total of material, about half of which I don't like.

But this is one of the stranger WRanger polls simply because The Police existed for only six years and five albums, while U2 has existed for over 40 years and 14 (studio) albums.  Even if one is supposed to consider whatever work Summers and Evans did outside the context of the Police and U2, it doesn't look to me like Summers did much of anything notable since the Police broke up.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 10:48:55 AM »
For pure technical ability, I'm voting for Summers, but this is a really weird comparison.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 01:35:13 PM »
I agree with Hef. From a technical standpoint Andy is better.
However, I think The Edge has an amazing understanding of how to use the guitar to create amazing sounds. I remember watching a video where he explained how he mixed sound effects and distortions for a specific riff. What he was playing on the guitar was by no means complex, but the sound that came out of the speakers was unbelievable.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2021, 08:35:38 PM »

How it's not even close?

I think The Edge is a better guitar player, all things considered, than Andy Summers.   He's written, played, and produced some of the greatest music of the 21st century.

Agreed.  I like the playing of Summers a lot, but The Edge is on a whole other planet, if for no other reason that the fact that he basically wrote the music and arrangement to Where the Streets Have No Name on his own.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 05:23:48 AM »
How The Edge is not winning this poll in a landslide is absolutely beyond me. From a guitar standpoint, the guy has single-handedly changed the way guitars are played and could sound in a band context using digital effects. He has a voice of his own on the instrument and has used that to great effect in a band with a career spanning 4 decades.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kram

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2021, 11:54:03 AM »
How The Edge is not winning this poll in a landslide is absolutely beyond me. From a guitar standpoint, the guy has single-handedly changed the way guitars are played and could sound in a band context using digital effects. He has a voice of his own on the instrument and has used that to great effect in a band with a career spanning 4 decades.

I agree.  But I'm guessing many are considering Summers a better "technical" player - like he can play a better solo or something.  But there's a lot more to it than that, as you've pointed out.  And I'd contend neither are good "soloists", as far as my tastes go.  Overall the Edge has had more of an impact on the instrument than Summers.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2021, 01:00:34 PM »
To be fair, the question wasn't who you consider a better technical player, or soloist, or even who's had more of an impact overall.  It was simply "Which guitarist do you like better/appreciate more and why?"

I voted for Andy just because I like his work with The Police more than the few U2 songs I've heard that I actually like.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2021, 01:52:01 PM »
Exactly.  I mean, I like the Edge, and I respect what he's done in the field.

But on average, I'd rather listen to the Police than listen to U2.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.