Poll

This Dying Soul vs. Panic Attack?

This Dying Soul
44 (51.2%)
Panic Attack
42 (48.8%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: POLL: This Dying Soul vs. Panic Attack?  (Read 1839 times)

Offline WildRanger

POLL: This Dying Soul vs. Panic Attack?
« on: August 21, 2021, 07:22:57 AM »
Which song do you like better and why?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: POLL: This Dying Soul vs. Panic Attack?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 07:37:47 AM »
Panic Attack, it feels like a more concise song.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 07:40:36 AM »
Panic Attack
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Volante99

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 12:51:11 PM »
Tough call. I think they are both amongst the band’s best “heavy” songs. They both are crushing. I think Id have to go with Dying Soul, mainly because of some pummeling drum work by Portnoy. Gotta say they are both about a minute too long, though.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 01:30:33 PM »
Panic Attack is one of Dream Theater’s very best mid length heavy songs. This Dying Soul is the worst of the five songs from the Twelve Step Suite.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2021, 01:34:08 PM »
This Dying Soul is the worst of the five songs from the Twelve Step Suite.

This Dying Soul is easily the best song of the Twelve Step Suite. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2021, 01:54:53 PM »

The Glass Prison is probably the best of the bunch. TDS is good, but definitely longer than it should. Repentance is probably the worst :biggrin:

Voted Panic Attack, btw.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Volante99

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2021, 02:15:10 PM »
Everything on ToT is a bit too long. But This Dying Soul is one of the most underrated songs in the DT discography. It’s a top 20 DT song for me, easily.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2021, 02:43:14 PM »
The Glass Prison is probably the best of the bunch.

The Glass Prison has not aged well for me, comparing how I felt about it when it came out, to how I feel about it now.

But This Dying Soul is one of the most underrated songs in the DT discography. It’s a top 20 DT song for me, easily.

:metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2021, 03:15:02 PM »
TDS.  Still my fav DT song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2021, 03:29:14 PM »

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2021, 08:01:50 PM »

For me it goes:

The Shattered Fortress
The Root of All Evil
Repentance
The Glass Prison
This Dying Soul
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2021, 08:04:47 PM »
I mentioned that TGP has not aged very well for me, but TROAE has definitely aged well. I actually like the song now, and I never really cared for it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2021, 03:53:29 AM »
I mentioned that TGP has not aged very well for me, but TROAE has definitely aged well. I actually like the song now, and I never really cared for it.

I relate to this.  I was lukewarm on it initially but really enjoy it and see its purpose in the suite.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2021, 02:56:07 PM »
The Root of All Evil is in their top 5 heavy hitters, maybe even tied with As I Am as their BEST straight forward heavy “metal” track.

I REALLY don’t want to turn this into a Mike vs Mike thread but I feel like the band has a hard time pulling off convincing “metal” head banger songs since Portnoy left. Which is odd because I feel like this type of song is exactly where Mangini shines.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2021, 03:00:09 PM »
You may as well have asked about Learning to Live against Repentance.

While Panic Attack isn't quite on the same level as LTL, there aren't many DT songs that I don't like better than TDS.  When I listen to TDS (which is pretty rarely), it gets about a minute from the end, and I get actively annoyed that the song isn't over yet.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2021, 03:06:59 PM »

For me it goes:

The Shattered Fortress
The Root of All Evil
Repentance
The Glass Prison
This Dying Soul

For me:

TROAE > TGP >>>>>>>>>> TSF >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TDS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
about 50 more lines of this....
Repentance

Repentance beat out New Millennium and The Great Debate as the worst DT album track, which is a heck of an accomplishment (not sure where I come out with respect to NM and TGD relative to each other).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2021, 03:17:26 PM »
While I don't agree with you on TDS, I can agree with Repentance.  Never liked that one at all.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2021, 04:05:39 PM »
Repentance is easily they’re worst song, to me.  I used to put TDS in the small group of their songs I don’t like, however lately it’s grown on me. Only took 18 years.
Can't we find the minds

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2021, 04:31:28 PM »
Even though Repentance is on my bottom third of DT songs, I don't not like it. I totally respect the song and what they were going for. It's actually really cool. The voiceovers were a great idea, and JP has an awesome solo in it.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2021, 05:41:02 PM »
Even though Repentance is on my bottom third of DT songs, I don't not like it. I totally respect the song and what they were going for. It's actually really cool. The voiceovers were a great idea, and JP has an awesome solo in it.

Yeah, I think of it the same way I do about The Best of Times. I respect them because of the personal meaning. There are a lot of good ideas that aren’t executed well. They both have awesome guitar solos.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2021, 06:14:48 PM »
Not much going for Repentance for me other than the guitar solo.  I get they needed to have a bit of a break though if they were going to play all the songs as one piece live.  As for the poll, it’s TDS for me, Panic Attack is just too reminiscent of Muse, a band that I don’t like at all.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2021, 06:18:32 PM »

Yeah, I think of it the same way I do about The Best of Times. I respect them because of the personal meaning. There are a lot of good ideas that aren’t executed well. They both have awesome guitar solos.

TBOT is actually one of my favorite DT tracks. Top 20.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2021, 06:21:19 PM »
I liked Panic Attack immediately. It took a looooong time to like This Dying Soul. While I'm not one of those that constantly harps on the idea that DT sometimes has songs inspired by other bands, I have a tough time listening to Panic Attack now without thinking, "Yup, trying too hard to sound like Muse." I don't feel their other Muse-like song, Prophets of War, sounds that much like Muse either, or many of their other "inspired" songs.

So I prefer This Dying Soul.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2021, 06:30:38 PM »
I liked Panic Attack immediately. It took a looooong time to like This Dying Soul. While I'm not one of those that constantly harps on the idea that DT sometimes has songs inspired by other bands, I have a tough time listening to Panic Attack now without thinking, "Yup, trying too hard to sound like Muse." I don't feel their other Muse-like song, Prophets of War, sounds that much like Muse either, or many of their other "inspired" songs.

Do you have the same problem with Never Enough? Because that’s the one that is just too much for me.
Can't we find the minds

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2021, 06:32:05 PM »
I love both Panic Attack and Never Enough.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2021, 06:48:46 PM »

Nobody’s perfect.  :lol
Can't we find the minds

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2021, 08:15:16 PM »

Do you have the same problem with Never Enough? Because that’s the one that is just too much for me.

Holy shit. I must be out of it because even though Panic Attack does have some Muse inspired parts, I was thinking of Never Enough. And yes, I do have a problem with that one (and most of 8V).

I still choose TDS.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2021, 06:36:47 AM »
This Dying Soul, because I don't like Panic Attack.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2021, 10:00:16 AM »

Panic Attack is one of my very favorite Dream Theater songs, and you know what, I never had the same problem with Never Enough as everyone else. Sure musically it’s a ripoff of Stockholm Syndrome, but it’s a good ripoff. And I never had a problem with the lyrics either. They may come off a bit winey, but it’s an interesting subject matter that most musicians would be afraid to address, and for what it’s worth, Mike wasn’t wrong about what he was writing.

-MirrorMask

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2021, 10:21:23 AM »
First you have a panic attack and then your fucking soul dies.  I like em in that order.  Doesn't really work the other way around. :p
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2021, 06:38:30 PM »
Much prefer Panic Attack to This Dying Soul. TDS is probably one of my lesser favourite songs, mostly because I think it has a bit too much 'extra' at the end. Most of the song is fine, but I feel like JLB doesn't sound the best on it, except maybe for the "Now that you can see all you have done" part, especially on the Live at Budokan version. Meanwhile, Panic Attack is as concise as it needs to be without going overboard, and I just much prefer JLB's voice here, and the melodies are more memorable. It also happens to be the first DT song I ever heard. (At least I think... it was either that or Constant Motion. CM is also one of my least favourites though lol)