Author Topic: How about re-recording WHEN DREAM AND DAY UNITE?  (Read 3932 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: How about re-recording WHEN DREAM AND DAY UNITE?
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2021, 01:27:00 PM »
It was re-recorded. It's called When Dream and Day RE-Unite

That's the best it's going to be. JLB can't hit those notes anymore, not even in the studio, Rudess overplays Moore's parts, Mangini isn't Portnoy.

I have the cd, it’s great. I know this would never happen (re-recording). I just love it and thought how cool would it be if they did it in the 90’s and even worked in a few Majesty demo tunes on it. As far as JLB’s vocal “decline”, that’s another story.

Don't get me wrong, if they re-recorded that album in 1992 or 1993, I would probably listen to that version way more than either original or 04 re-recording.

For example, I like the 94 version of To Live Forever over the 92 one. I put it on after listening to Awake (along with Eve) but I almost never listen to the 92 one. The 94 one sounds more fleshed out, like on JP's solo, and the production is preferable with this song, I think stylistically the song is closer to Awake than IaW. If they eventually squeezed it into a DT album after Awake, I probably wouldn't like that one as much. 92-94 DT is a magical era.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2021, 02:16:21 PM »
We’ve got some other mostly great versions of these songs:

Fortune in Lies - Live at Marquee or Live at Luna Park
YtesJam - Once in a Livetime
The Killing Hand - Marquee obviously but I also love WDADRU arrangement
Afterlife - Score
Only a Matter of Time - Budokan

I guess for the other 3 it’s WDADRU only.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2021, 02:26:30 PM »
For those that say "there's no point", there might not be any ARTISTIC point, but there is certainly a commercial or business point.

Personally, I'd like to hear it - even now - but I'm not wasting even one breath on it actually happening.

I mean…barely.

Sure they COULD pull a Taylor Swift and re-record the thing but we’re not exactly talking Taylor Swift records here. They would certainly make hundreds of dollars.

When I saw this, I just about died laughing. :rollin
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2021, 03:06:14 PM »
For those that say "there's no point", there might not be any ARTISTIC point, but there is certainly a commercial or business point.

Personally, I'd like to hear it - even now - but I'm not wasting even one breath on it actually happening.

I mean…barely.

Sure they COULD pull a Taylor Swift and re-record the thing but we’re not exactly talking Taylor Swift records here. They would certainly make hundreds of dollars.

When I saw this, I just about died laughing. :rollin

It reminded me of a Friends episode where Monica was telling her friends about filling in for someone as food critic for a (fictitious) local paper called the Chelsea Reporter.  Ross responds with, "Wow!  What an incredible opportunity to influence....dozens of people."   :lol :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline darkshade

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2021, 03:56:26 PM »
We need a "what if [WDaDU song] was on [insert other DT album]?" type video series on youtube, like I've seen for Metallica. Someone dubs a JLB performance of the WDaDU song.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2021, 05:44:25 PM »
We’ve got some other mostly great versions of these songs:

Fortune in Lies - Live at Marquee or Live at Luna Park
YtesJam - Once in a Livetime
The Killing Hand - Marquee obviously but I also love WDADRU arrangement
Afterlife - Score
Only a Matter of Time - Budokan

I guess for the other 3 it’s WDADRU only.

All great versions, and very much what I go to for my WDADU fill. Better production on these versions than the reunite show and James sounds phenomenal on the Marquee versions. I actually love the intro to the Killing Hand on the Marquee version. There’s also a good version of Status Seeker on the 93 Summerfest Milwaukee show which is available on Apple Music remastered. Sensational  :metal
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 06:17:10 PM by jayvee3 »

Online YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2021, 06:14:21 PM »
It would be cool if they took an album worth of songs from the early days and redid them. Some of the demo versions like burning my soul are better than the album versions

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2021, 10:15:35 AM »

This.  I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat, were they to do it.  But, I don't expect them to. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2021, 10:29:21 AM »
As others have stated, we already have WDADRU.  So there's really no point other than having the current state of DT do it, but it likely wouldn't be better in anything other than production.  So to me, there's very little point.

Plus we have most of the songs on other various live albums.  Maybe if this album was loved I can see a point to make some more money out of it, but it's not really a loved album overall by the fan base. 

Pass.  Rather the band focus on moving forward, not revisiting this not very good album IMO that they already released a more polished live performance of.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2021, 07:30:53 AM »
A reason to re-record that hasn't been mentioned: to get the album on Spotify.  Whoever owns the rights to the original apparently hasn't made it available for streaming.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2021, 08:02:56 AM »
A reason to re-record that hasn't been mentioned: to get the album on Spotify.  Whoever owns the rights to the original apparently hasn't made it available for streaming.

They might release WDADRU through the LNF archives and make it available for streaming. All of the LNF archives that so far have been released are available on digital platforms.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2021, 08:03:30 AM »

That is, in part, to what I was referring when I said "commercial or business point".  The control of the material is a real reason why artists do this (this is at least in large part why Def Leppard, Taylor Swift, and Kiss did it).

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2021, 08:44:34 AM »
I'd actually really like to hear this.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2021, 06:22:12 PM »
https://open.spotify.com/album/1AznpOdGM8OcHYmqOUBXy3?si=YX3cyzGIQJmpAWw1wkjAlA&dl_branch=1
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Pettor

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2021, 03:50:04 AM »
I am happy for people who like WDADU but this is the album many fans leave alone and never play and usually ends up last on favorite album lists, with margin. Just saying from business point there's still a lot better decisions to make than remake that album for any reason. Sure they can get it on Spotify but it's still WDADU, not really a high demand. Remember that there's people to hire and work to do for any remake.

Edit: Wait what, it is on Spotify?! 🤔 So even less reason then.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2021, 04:10:41 AM »
I don’t think its available in the US. I clicked on the link and while the album is there, I can’t play it. All songs are grayed out.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2021, 07:00:35 AM »

I don’t think its available in the US. I clicked on the link and while the album is there, I can’t play it. All songs are grayed out.

Yeah, same here.  I had searched Spotify before my post to make sure it hadn't been added in the meantime. 

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2021, 09:17:01 AM »
Really strange... like I always say "if it's avaible in Brazil, I can only imagine it's already avaible in the rest of the world!".
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2021, 01:08:37 PM »
Really strange... like I always say "if it's avaible in Brazil, I can only imagine it's already avaible in the rest of the world!".

Same thing happens with the last two It Bites albums. They got re-issued and have a couple of additional tracks but I cant play them in the US.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2021, 03:02:54 PM »
The only thing about this I wish we had James clean studio record of The Killing Hand in his prime time. LatM version of TKH is good though but still a studio recording with a great production would've been awesome.

I like WDADU for what it is and I really like how Charlie sounds on it.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2021, 02:15:40 PM »
It's a legendary point in time.

I may have wanted to see it rerecorded for the first 5 years or so after James joined and Reunite pretty much satisfied any desire I had to revisit it. I sure wouldn't mind if they played the whole thing live again but I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it because it won't ever happen.

Offline JMaekelae

« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2021, 06:57:02 PM »
I don't understand why some bands record their old stuff again. What's the point? Why not just spend the energy and time creating new music. I mean does somebody really prefer a re-recording of an old album over a brand new studio album. Or over a box set of jam sessions. The latter would take less time to conceive than a re-recording. Unless it's just a hasty live in studio kind of affair, but I'd still consider it a waste of time.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2021, 09:49:59 AM »

I don't understand why some bands record their old stuff again. What's the point? Why not just spend the energy and time creating new music. I mean does somebody really prefer a re-recording of an old album over a brand new studio album. Or over a box set of jam sessions. The latter would take less time to conceive than a re-recording. Unless it's just a hasty live in studio kind of affair, but I'd still consider it a waste of time.

Occasionally, they do it to showcase a new singer, or improve an album's production.  But, most of the time it seems to be to have a version of the album that the band, rather than the record label, owns.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2021, 10:09:59 AM »

I've actually given a handful of legit reasons, some business-related, some creatively focused.   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2021, 10:16:56 AM »
Journey did it after Arnel joined, and I actually found that to be pretty offensive under the circumstances.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2021, 11:07:41 AM »
Journey did it after Arnel joined, and I actually found that to be pretty offensive under the circumstances.
Honestly, those re-recordings sucked.  Never should have happened.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2021, 01:28:09 PM »
Charlie isn't Steve Friggin' Perry, though. That analogy is a bit backward. 

Offline JMaekelae

« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2021, 03:59:42 PM »
I get the business side. That's why Kiss made the re-recordings - to be able to use the new versions in films/commercials/etc. That way all of the money goes to the current band.

But when bringing in a new vocalist, I'd say the better showcase is a new single/album.

Personally, I just don't understand why an artist would like to recreate something he/she has already done.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2021, 04:30:22 PM »

I wasn't making an analogy.  I was providing an example.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2021, 06:54:13 PM »
I am happy for people who like WDADU but this is the album many fans leave alone and never play and usually ends up last on favorite album lists, with margin. Just saying from business point there's still a lot better decisions to make than remake that album for any reason. Sure they can get it on Spotify but it's still WDADU, not really a high demand. Remember that there's people to hire and work to do for any remake.

Edit: Wait what, it is on Spotify?! 🤔 So even less reason then.

I think a great deal of this has to do with the fact we are so conditioned to James though, that many are unable to get past Charlie’s vocals and don’t really give the album a chance. Charlie does ok, but I will admit to not being a big fan of his tone and range. So I made a playlist version which has all the best live recordings of the songs with James (as well as including Another Won from Score), and I honestly think it’s a far better album than some of my bottom tier ones like Black Clouds, Systematic Chaos and even Octavarium bar the title track. It’s actually a great debut.

Selfishly - while unlikely - I’d love to see a clean studio version with James. But more than happy with my playlist version, or if a solid version of the Reunite show came out on the LNF archives  :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2021, 07:05:08 PM »
As I've said many times before, the problem with Charlie's vocals is that the songs are not written to his strengths at all.  They are out of his range and call for a singing style he was simply not very good at back then.  If you listen to any of his solo material, he sounds really good.  I used to think he just wasn't a very good singer.  But after hearing him on WDADRU, he sang lines on that that are more appropriate for his voice, and it made me realize that he can sound pretty good.  And then I got two of his O2 albums, and he sounded great on those as well.  It's all about writing vocal lines that play to the strength of the singer. 

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2021, 09:22:46 PM »
As I've said many times before, the problem with Charlie's vocals is that the songs are not written to his strengths at all.  They are out of his range and call for a singing style he was simply not very good at back then.  If you listen to any of his solo material, he sounds really good.  I used to think he just wasn't a very good singer.  But after hearing him on WDADRU, he sang lines on that that are more appropriate for his voice, and it made me realize that he can sound pretty good.  And then I got two of his O2 albums, and he sounded great on those as well.  It's all about writing vocal lines that play to the strength of the singer.

Agreed. And this was obviously an issue highlighted by the band at the time, hence they looked for someone that did have the attributes they were after, so we end up with James, which was a great move. But absolutely, Charlie has some great work, they were songs that were just far from his strengths. It’s also a reason I mention making a playlist of the album with James’ best live performances of the songs - doing this definitely gave me a much greater appreciation for an underrated album, which may not always get a fair chance due to exactly the issues you mention… :tup

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2021, 12:33:17 AM »

Yes it's obvious. And Charlie is indeed a good singer, i also like his solo albums a lot. I noticed even from WDADU that some songs sounded so much better (like Status Seeker for example), and this was due to the range they were written for.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2021, 05:30:35 AM »

I wasn't making an analogy.  I was providing an example.

No, I understand; "analogy" isn't the right word.  I was just noting that it seems backwards.   The "classic" Journey is Steve Perry, and the guy most people think of when thinking "Journey".   That's not Charlie, that's LaBrie with DT.  It's kind of the opposite thing.