Author Topic: Now, if you had a time machine, where — or when — would you travel to first?  (Read 2964 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Stole this from the Bruce Dickinson interview.  I think about this a lot actually.  I'm assuming that we could pick the PLACE not just the TIME, so...

With the understanding that I couldn't change anything (11/22/63 by King) and with no moral judgment, just fascination, I'd go:

History:
- to the grassy knoll
- to the bunker in 1945
- to Philly in 1776
- to Stonehedge in 2400-ish BC
- to the Vatican in 1508

It's a little dark, but I'd be interested in being in Brentwood in 1962, I'd be interested in being in Brentwood in 1992.

Music:
- to any of the 20-odd shows at MSG in the 70's that Zeppelin played
- to the front row in Montreal when Roger spit on that fan
- to the Coventry in 1973 (where Kiss played their very first gigs)
- the Knebworth show with Gabriel and Genesis
- to Titenham in '68 when the Beatles were filming Let It Be

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
The Fuhrerbunker is a good call. There are certainly things I'd want to witness, but I'd be more interested in experiencing different cultures. I'd like to spend time in Rome c. 0. Spend a Summer in SF in the late sixties. A few month in Paris in the early 1900s. Come to think of it, all places where they knew how to have a good time.  :lol

As for concerts, hell, I'd go to a different show every night. I'm partial to the RAH Zeppelin show. The Who at Leeds would be tops on the list. Plenty of shows I'd like to catch at the Winterland.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline emtee

To the beginning. The singularity, with the hope that I may know who/how the universe was created.

I've spent far too many pointless hours contemplating and yet, I still do.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
I think it'd be cool to see Egypt and Rome in the prime, when everything was still smooth and painted.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
The Fuhrerbunker is a good call. There are certainly things I'd want to witness, but I'd be more interested in experiencing different cultures. I'd like to spend time in Rome c. 0. Spend a Summer in SF in the late sixties. A few month in Paris in the early 1900s. Come to think of it, all places where they knew how to have a good time.  :lol

As for concerts, hell, I'd go to a different show every night. I'm partial to the RAH Zeppelin show. The Who at Leeds would be tops on the list. Plenty of shows I'd like to catch at the Winterland.

I'd probably take The Who at the Monterey festival.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
I’d go to whatever date/place in the early-mid 90s when Winona Ryder was most possible to bang.

Also maybe the Middle Ages in Europe.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline emtee

I’d go to whatever date/place in the early-mid 90s when Winona Ryder was most possible to bang.

Also maybe the Middle Ages in Europe.

Haha! Great answer.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Hmm..

Off the top of my head..

History..

-to Gettysburg Day 2, 1863
-to Boston 1776
-Plymouth 1620

Personal
-I'd like to spend a day with my grandparents as teenagers
-I'd like to spend a day with my parents as teenagers
-I want to witness my Little League No Hitter

Musical
-to Kenosha, Wisconsin 10-14-78 to see UFO
-to Boston Music Hall 1-11-79 to see Rush
-to Boston Orpheum 10-23-77 to see Thin Lizzy
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

I thought about Altamont, but that's a shade too dark.  I'd like to see the Stones somewhere on that '72 tour.

Maiden at the Marquee, too.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Concert wise, I'd definitely go see Metallica on the Black Album tour.

I'd also go to see Dante write his masterpiece.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
I'd go back to 1955 and kick Biff's ass so I could get my hands on that damn sports almanac. :hat  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Hmm..

Off the top of my head..

History..

-to Gettysburg Day 2, 1863
-to Boston 1776
-Plymouth 1620

Personal
-I'd like to spend a day with my grandparents as teenagers
-I'd like to spend a day with my parents as teenagers
-I want to witness my Little League No Hitter

Musical
-to Kenosha, Wisconsin 10-14-78 to see UFO
-to Boston Music Hall 1-11-79 to see Rush
-to Boston Orpheum 10-23-77 to see Thin Lizzy

I thought about that or something like it.  My grandfather came over on the 'boat' as they say, back in I think it was 1912.  That might be neat to experience.

I'm kind of with Bart on the notion of experiencing cultures.   There's a little of that in my choices; I'd love to feel the vibe of Philly (a city I LOVE) in the heat of the Revolution.   I'd love to be in Egypt when they were building the pyramids. 

Oh, I'd go to Oak Island when the "main shaft" was allegedly built. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You do Philly and I'll do Boston. We can Pony Express text.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Harmony

Very thought provoking and I want to think about it for a bit before I answer.

One question - can we take the knowledge we have NOW back in history with us too?  I'm thinking about the movies "Peggy Sue Got Married" and "Back To the Future."   :laugh:
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

I thought about Altamont, but that's a shade too dark.  I'd like to see the Stones somewhere on that '72 tour.

Maiden at the Marquee, too.

I had a roommate years ago who was at Altamont about ten feet from the spot the murder took place, and he was tripping balls on a shit ton of acid. To this day he still can't handle crowds.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
I would go into the future. Probably 100 years at a time and see where things go.

Offline pg1067

I need more parameters.

If I go back to a time when I was alive, can I safely interact with my younger self?

I want more information about this "can't change anything" restriction.  Is it a true time machine such that I have a tangible existence?  Or am I just a detached observer?

If it's a purely observational thing (and assuming I am not at risk of being killed), then I'd want to go to:

Personal
- July 8 (or 9), 1978 - the day of my Little League championship game where I hit the GWRBI.
- Unknown date in the early 1960s, Garden City, NY -- my parents, siblings and cousins on my father's side gathered at my paternal grandparents' home.
- May 1, 1945 on the U.S.S. Terror anchored near Okinawa.  My father was on this ship when it was hit by a Japanese kamikaze plane.
- December 16, 1944, NYC - the date of my parents' wedding.

Historical
- Bethlehem -- whatever the actual date of Jesus's birth was.
- Jerusalem -- early April 30 or 33 A.D. -- the date of Jesus's crucifixion.
- Nicaea -- May to August 325 A.D. -- first council of Nicaea.
- Hastings, England -- Oct. 14, 1066 -- Battle of Hastings.
- There are a bunch of dates throughout the middle ages and into the Renaissance that would be interesting.
- July 2ish, 1776, Philadelphia
- April 14, 1865, Ford's Theater
- Sept. 11, 2001, NYC

Musical (most of these are not specific dates or locations, and I've excluded shows/tours I actually attended)
- August 28, 1966 - The Beatles at Dodger Stadium (sitting near my sister)
- Yes on the Close to the Edge tour
- Rush on the Hemispheres, PEW, MP and Signals tours
- Aug. 20, 1975 -- Cedar Rapids, IA Veterans' Coliseum (I believe this was Tommy Shaw's first show -- if not, then whenever that was).
- Styx on the Grand Illusion, Pieces of Eight and Paradise Theatre tours
- Triumph on the Allied Forces, Never Surrender and Thunder Seven tours
- Fates Warning on the Awaken the Guardian and No Exit tours
- Fall 1985, Berklee College of Music (first meeting between JM, JP and MP)
- May 28, 1986 -- the first Majesty show.
- Nov. 25, 1988 -- the first DT show as DT.
- Nov. 14, 1989 -- last DT show with Charlie.
- Nov. 17, 1990 -- DT instrumental show under the name "Ytsejam".
- June 6, 1992 -- JLB first show with DT.
- June 8, 1992 -- DT opening for Maiden in NYC.
- March 4, 1993 -- DT at the Limelight in NYC.
- DT on the FII, SFAM and SDOIT tours.
- The LSFNY show.
- The Score show.
- Oct. 27, 2018 -- YYNOT at the Diesel in Detroit.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

- June 8, 1992 -- DT opening for Maiden in NYC.

:metal :metal :metal

Online Anguyen92

Well, off the top of my head, Rush's final show ever at the Forum in Inglewood in 2015.

At the time, I still had a year left of college, had no money, had no one else that was interested in seeing Rush with me, and I was scared of driving freeways by myself in the LA area.  Biggest regret ever.

As far as going further back......, I kinda want to see Miracle on Manchester in 1982.  That was Game three of the first round playoffs between the LA Kings and the Edmonton Oilers.  That or the Frenzy on Figueroa (Game Four of the 1st round playoffs in 2001 between Kings and Red Wings).

Offline pg1067

As far as going further back......, I kinda want to see Miracle on Manchester in 1982.  That was Game three of the first round playoffs between the LA Kings and the Edmonton Oilers.  That or the Frenzy on Figueroa (Game Four of the 1st round playoffs in 2001 between Kings and Red Wings).

The Miracle on Manchester for sure!

I was at game 6 of that 2001 Detroit series.  I was in law school at the time (Loyola, which is walking distance to the Stapler).  I was working on camps the day of the game and randomly decided to check on Ticketmaster.  I found a single seat in the front row of section 320 (upper bowl, Kings shoot twice end) for face value.  I never heard that building louder until the 2012 SCF.

On the sports end, I'd probably add Super Bowls 32, 33 and 50.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Ok, now that I'm home and have some time...

Personal
- I'd actually love to see my mom in her youth before us 5 boys.
- Countless moments from my daughters life that I missed due to drinking, even only as a non participating spectator, just to witness what I missed would be amazing.

Historical
- I'd love to see the splendor of the Roman empire at its peak
- the trinity moment in New Mexico...it's always been my pet moment in history, the whole Manhattan project, but to see the reactions at what they unleashed in that moment would be something to behold.

Music
- I change my mind on the Who, I want to see a show from the Tommy tour with Moon
- IQ, Subterrenea tour
- Zeppelin circa 1972
- Yes circa Yessongs

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Do we know everything we currently know? If we lose some of our current knowledge and memories, can I have Al Calavicci with me?

I have little desire to experience other cultures, I am a little envious at those here who do.

* Musical:
The Who - the Live at Leeds show (or at Hull, or other show from that era).
Pink Floyd - A show from the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour

* Film:
Opening night of Star Wars Ep IV in 1977 and Empire Strikes Back in 1980.

* Sports:
Legit can't think of anything. Maybe Game 5 of the ALDS to see Edgar's double against the Yankees.

* Historical:
Lots to think on here, might have to revisit.

Not to make this too "real" but I wonder how a person from 2021 would fare even half a century ago. "Oh, I can figure out how to get there, let me just pull it up on my cell phone, will just take a min... aw, crab apples. How the hell do we figure out how to get there?"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
On the set of Behind the Green Door. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Sports is easy. First, Sid the Kid’s golden goal in Vancouver 2010. Second, Lemieux (from Gretzky) in Hamilton 1987 for the 6-5 victory over the Ruskies’s. Third is Joe Cater’s 1993 World Series clinching HR.

I’ll ponder more.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I've been to so many big sporting events in N.E.  Hard to pick there.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Well, my top sports event I was actually at, Cal vs Stanfurd in '82 for the infamous 5 lateral touchdown return into the Stanfurd band, but it'd be interesting to see it through adult eyes, I'm sure they could appreciate it more than my dumbass 12 year old self could.

The miracle on ice would've been a sweet one as well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh, I forgot a couple:

Sports:
- Miracle on Ice
- Chambliss' home run in the '76 ALCS

Personal:
- The story has always been that my mom and dad were bowling, waiting for a lane to open (separately), and the announcer called out "Stadler!" and they both showed up - they had the same last name BEFORE they were married - and the rest was history.  I'd like to have been there.

History:
- Walk through/on the Titanic
- The Hindenburg
- The painting of the Mona Lisa

So, I don't want a ton of rules, here, but the IDEA was that you are there in whatever capacity would allow you to be there.  So I imagine that the 1776 choices, and ones like that, you're a delegate or a janitor or a bystander.  I imagine that would be harder to be in the Fuhrerbunker, but whatever.

I chose NOT to let anyone "change" anything, to keep it a-political; I wanted to stay away from "I would have prevented Oswald from killing Kennedy" or "I would have put Trump in jail back in '84" kind of stuff.  Thus the reference to Stephen King's book 11/22/63 where that was, shall we say, a problem.  Whether that means you can interact with your younger self, well, have at it, that's your fantasy not mine. 

Offline romdrums

I would travel back to the fall of 2019 to hang with my Dad a few more times before he passed away.  I still have a lot of questions I want to ask him!  And, actually, I'd hit a few spots in my childhood to watch my Dad be a dad to me and my siblings so I can use those experiences to make me a better dad for my son.

Beyond that, there are a bunch of tours I'd love to see.  ELP in 73, Yes in 76, Genesis on any tour, Rush on any tour, DT on the I&W and Awake tours, King Crimson at the last show of the Discipline lineup, any early Zep tour, etc.

Historical events: I think it would be very interesting to be in southern England in early June, 1944. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
That's another good one; my dad has suffered from crippling arthritis since I was a young boy; I'd love to go back to the 60's when he was a man's man. Working on cars, riding motorcycles, packin' heat.  Probably dressed in one of those white short-sleeved collared shirts with the skinny tie and a Winston hanging from his lip. 

Offline Harmony

Simpsonville, South Carolina - October 2019 at the KC Mart, just before the woman who purchased the 1.5 billion lotto ticket.   :P
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Honestly, if I had access to a time machine, I wouldn't use it.

Never seen a time travel story go smoothly.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home wants a word with you.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home wants a word with you.

Good one! :lol Love that movie.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline pg1067

* Film:
Opening night of Star Wars Ep IV in 1977 and Empire Strikes Back in 1980.

Sports:
- Miracle on Ice

These are good ones.  Being in Lake Placid for the 1980 games would be awesome as a whole!  Eric Heiden's fifth speed skating gold would be awesome too, although I think it was the 10k, and watching someone skate around a track for 6.21 miles sounds kinda boring.

Not to make this too "real" but I wonder how a person from 2021 would fare even half a century ago. "Oh, I can figure out how to get there, let me just pull it up on my cell phone, will just take a min... aw, crab apples. How the hell do we figure out how to get there?"

This hits on one of the most common theories about time travel.  Getting directions is easily overcome (especially for those of us who grew up before smart phones and Google maps).  However, if you go back more than about 50 years or so, you have none of the relevant anti-bodies in your system and would be massively vulnerable to disease.  And, if you go back more than a couple hundred years, unless you're well trained in accents and mannerisms, you've got a great chance of being presumed to be a witch.

I chose NOT to let anyone "change" anything, to keep it a-political; I wanted to stay away from "I would have prevented Oswald from killing Kennedy" or "I would have put Trump in jail back in '84" kind of stuff.

The big problem with stuff like this is the ripple effect.  "I'd go back to the Battle of Passchendaele in WWI and make sure Hitler gets killed!"  That's great, but the ripple effect from there being no Hitler would be MASSIVE.  It could be as simple as someone of similar ideology -- but WITHOUT the megalomania and other mental defects that were ultimately his undoing -- rising to power in his place.  Then we're in a High Castle situation.  We all want to go back and tell our younger selves who wins every Super Bowl and to buy Apple stock in the '80s, but then we're in a Back to the Future II situation.

History:
- The painting of the Mona Lisa

You could even paint your own Mona Lisa.   :biggrin:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 10:18:11 AM by pg1067 »

Online Anguyen92

^^ Which goes back to Bruce's comment when asked that question.

Adam and Eve would’ve been a good moment. You could’ve really screwed with history there if you’d have just hit Adam over the head and said, “Actually, Adam, sorry mate, it’s Bruce. It’s going to be Bruce and Eve. We’re going to have to change things around.”

https://loudwire.com/bruce-dickinson-iron-maiden-senjutsu-interview/