Author Topic: Earthside Official Thread - New Single "Let The Truth Speak"  (Read 2901 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Earthside Official Thread - New Single "Let The Truth Speak"
« on: August 19, 2021, 01:54:37 AM »
I thought we'd have an official thread, but turns out we don't.

So for those of you who may not know, Earthside are a progressive metal band from New Haven, Connecticut. The band was formed in 2012 by keyboardist Frank Sacramone, guitarist Jamie van Dyck, drummer Ben Shanbrom, and bassist Ryan Griffin.

In 2015 they released their debut album A Dream In Static, which explores various styles across the rock and metal spectrum. Half of the album consists of instrumental tracks, the other half features guest performances from artists such as Lajon Witherspoon (Sevendust), Daniel Tompkins (TesseracT) and Björn Strid (Soilwork).

Contemporary progressive metal and symphonic metal with a cinematic mindset in a particular are their main pillars of Earthside's music. Various tracks of their album A Dream In Static range from full symphony orchestra ("Mob Mentality", Moscow Studio Symphony Orchestra) to featuring instruments such as Celtic hammered dulcimer ("Entering The Light").

They have been pretty much silent since releasing their debut, however they have just released a new single, All We Knew and Ever Loved

https://youtu.be/KVh_Y4o3C0Y

The new single features Baard Kolstad (Leprous) on drums, check it out...

And discuss!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 10:39:48 AM by hefdaddy42 »

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Earthside Official Thread - New Single "All We Knew and Ever Loved"
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 02:44:57 AM »
Not sure about the new single yet but A Dream in Static is one of my favourite metal releases from the last few years.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 03:28:25 AM »
I loved the debut album, and the new single is incredible. What an atmosphere. Reminds me of the soundtrack from Interstellar a bit. Can't wait to listen to the full album.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 04:26:35 AM »
I've given the single a couple of listens, and watched the video once. I think it's one of those songs that doesn't necessarily work as a single, but is more like a statement of purpose. I'm really looking forward to how this fits in the context of the album.

Guess I'll go listen to the debut, it's been a while and it really is excellent.

Offline fivestring

• I like cheese
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 10:06:51 AM »
No doubt that Earthside are all about the art of their craft and that they will stop at nothing to get their vision accomplished. (it's still remarkable how an unknown band gets all those big stars to contribute/collaborate on songs for your band's debut!) The work to come up with the story and visuals for this 9+ minute "movie" is quite an accomplishment as well.  That being said... I'm in the mindset as well that this is an odd piece for a lead single.  I listen to a lot of post-rock, so I'm no stranger to more cinematic pieces, but "All We Knew and Ever Loved" is extremely cinematic with it's super quiet section already 2 minutes in and lasting several minutes. This musical piece and it's visuals are married to each other and I think listening to it on it's own is a bit more challenging. In the context of the whole album, I'm sure it'll be a more cohesive part of the whole picture. Again, good on them for doing exactly what they want to do, for the sake of their artistic expression and visions.  I think this album will have a really different feel than A Dream In Static.
Quote from: Ben_Jamin
it's a great way to showcase the drum sound by introducing the album with that awesome drumming and sound.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 01:19:48 PM »
i have no clue why this in particular was released as a single considering it feels like a 9 minute overture more than anything
i kept waiting for the song to start and it just kept feeling like a new intro every time anything changed
might work in the context of the album but as a standalone single it's very frustrating

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2021, 06:17:10 PM »
I discovered their debut album last year and it was one of those "how on earth did I go years without checking this band out?" moments.  It helps that Tompkins, Witherspoon, and Strid were all some of my favorite vocalists, and they really utilized them well.  Witherspoon in particular has many shades to his voice beyond that track that a lot of prog people might be unaware of since Sevendust is a bit outside the normal listening circle of this sort of music.  The new track is quite nice, I'm stoked and hoping this will be one of the best albums this year.  They're succeeding at a symphonic metal feeling much more so than say, Holopainen is right now. 

Offline krands85

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 06:51:01 PM »
Don't think I've heard of this band before, but I came across Key of Geebz doing a video on the new song and thought it was pretty cool. Interested to see what the debut sounds like, I think I'll give that a listen tomorrow.

EDIT: According to my Youtube watch history, I have heard the debut before, back in 2018  :lol My memory  :facepalm:
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline pfillion

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2021, 10:27:54 AM »
Yea Baard Kolstad is becoming one of my favourite all time drummers! He is just incredible. The other guy is no slouch, just incredible all round.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2021, 04:14:49 AM »
Spinning A Dream in Static, I love that my favourite songs are instrumentals. Of course nothing against the vocalists on that album but I guess their music are so strong on their own.

Skyline  :heart
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline emtee

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2022, 02:52:05 PM »
Bumping this.

I was laying on my air mattress at the hospital last night during the hurricane. I was playing an Opeth station and a song came on by this band. It blew me away. So I found their full album on Amazon Prime Music and laid there in the darkness with my headphones on. What an unbelievable musical ride this album took me on. Bought it after the spin. 10/10. I hope others take the time to discover them. I can't emphasize just how moving this album is.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2022, 05:30:18 PM »
I will check this out out based on your recommendation, emtee.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2022, 01:55:46 AM »
Earthside have just released a new single, over a year since their last  :lol

https://open.spotify.com/track/3XKxZk3HWB6rgp5FhVeuVM?si=8ZqGaiLFQHWhGoDyCZSTLg&utm_source=copy-link

I don't think they've given a release date for an upcoming album yet, but here's hoping.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2022, 12:42:09 PM »
Just saw them last night opening for VOLA. Awesome show!

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2023, 08:46:24 AM »
Listening to the new single, Let The Truth Speak, right now.  Good stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2023, 09:37:46 AM »

Yea had a listen this morning. Is there any word on an album release date? Not sure I’ve seen one.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2023, 09:41:09 AM »

Yea had a listen this morning. Is there any word on an album release date? Not sure I’ve seen one.
Not that I've heard.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2023, 09:52:09 AM »
I’m sure that first single came out over a year ago.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2023, 10:12:49 AM »
I got this in my Inbox this morning from Mascot:

Cinematic rockers Earthside have announced the release of their highly anticipated second album, Let the Truth Speak, out on November 17 via Music Theories Recordings / Mascot Label Group, worldwide.

8 long years removed from their critically show-stopping entrance - A Dream in Static [2015] - the idealistic thinkers and feelers in Earthside found themselves in a different world entirely ... or, perhaps, a world more honest and unhinged than they and many others had bargained for.

The explosive title track of the album carries a feeling of culmination—the fully unexpected but fittingly show-stopping point of arrival in the album’s tumultuous pursuit of truth. A full string section—an overarching element of the record’s sound—jostles with violent rhythms, eldritch scales, and the unprecedented pairing of Earthside alum and TesseracT frontman Daniel Tompkins' indomitable vocal dexterity and world-music ace Gennady Tkachenko Papizh’s jaw-dropping vocalizations and cinematic wails. These elements all crescendo to an ending climax that is a unanimous favourite moment of the album for the band.

Highly recommended for fans of VOLA, The Ocean, TesseracT, Leprous, MONO, Russian Circles and Cult of Luna.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2023, 10:40:21 AM »
I got this in my Inbox this morning from Mascot:

Cinematic rockers Earthside have announced the release of their highly anticipated second album, Let the Truth Speak, out on November 17 via Music Theories Recordings / Mascot Label Group, worldwide.

8 long years removed from their critically show-stopping entrance - A Dream in Static [2015] - the idealistic thinkers and feelers in Earthside found themselves in a different world entirely ... or, perhaps, a world more honest and unhinged than they and many others had bargained for.

The explosive title track of the album carries a feeling of culmination—the fully unexpected but fittingly show-stopping point of arrival in the album’s tumultuous pursuit of truth. A full string section—an overarching element of the record’s sound—jostles with violent rhythms, eldritch scales, and the unprecedented pairing of Earthside alum and TesseracT frontman Daniel Tompkins' indomitable vocal dexterity and world-music ace Gennady Tkachenko Papizh’s jaw-dropping vocalizations and cinematic wails. These elements all crescendo to an ending climax that is a unanimous favourite moment of the album for the band.

Highly recommended for fans of VOLA, The Ocean, TesseracT, Leprous, MONO, Russian Circles and Cult of Luna.
Nice!

Also, modified the thread title to reflect the new single.

Online twosuitsluke

Re: Earthside Official Thread - New Single "Let The Truth Speak"
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2023, 10:46:45 AM »
Wow, how has it been 8 years since the debut!? That’s gotta be some sort of record, who has an 8 year gap between their first and second albums? I can’t think of anyone.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2023, 01:40:13 PM »
A whole album with Tompkins?

Offline krands85

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2023, 07:10:38 PM »
Wow, how has it been 8 years since the debut!? That’s gotta be some sort of record, who has an 8 year gap between their first and second albums? I can’t think of anyone.
Yndi Halda came to mind for me. Released one of my favourite albums ever in 2006 and then nothing until 2016  :lol
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2023, 07:21:45 PM »
Linda Perhacs waited 44 years to release her sophomore album. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2023, 06:52:25 AM »
Yndi Halda came to mind for me. Released one of my favourite albums ever in 2006 and then nothing until 2016  :lol

Bubblemath

Such Fine Particles of the Universe (2002)
Edit Peptide (2017)

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2023, 11:20:37 AM »
So their new album has been out for a few days now and I casually gave it a listen after I saw a review by Notesreviews on YouTube and the cover looked nice.

It's a lot to take in but it is a very interesting album, featuring lots of musicians and singers. The title track featuring Daniel Tompkins is especially amazing. I listened only once and will have to listen a couple more times but I think lots of people here could like that album.
any rock can be made to roll