Author Topic: The Alien Listening Party ! ALL SPOILERS !  (Read 38434 times)

Online hunnus2000

Re: The Alien Listening Party ! ALL SPOILERS !
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2021, 11:20:09 AM »
After, my 3rd listen in the car, I am really loving this song. I don't feel it's disjointed as others have posted because I think that it resolves many of the passages it started out and the song ends as it began (of course not exactly). This song is typical DT.  :metal

The only song of DT that I could describe as disjointed is Metropolis Part 1 as it ended as a far different song than it began. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2021, 11:46:51 AM »
I'm worried DT (like many aging bands from the 80s/90s) has jumped the shark for me.  I have a feeling I'll just be thinking "why am I not listening to I&W" ... or Awake, or SFAM, or SDOIT or ...

:-\

I get where you're coming from, there's nothing really new or exciting on this track for me, it's just more of the same from the last few albums. They continue to amaze me with their skill, but they just can't seem to move me with the music, if that makes sense.

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2021, 12:31:00 PM »
Because you have heard so much music it eventually becomes hard  to get the feeling of novelty.
That isn’t Dt’e fault.  Also as people age music hits them differently.
Brain chemistry is involved as well. I take wellbutrin and I know I’ve missed a dose when
I start constantly craving music.  You will NEVER regain the sense of wonder you felt  listening to
Music in your teens and twenties.  Most musicians are artistically spent by age 30.
With JP he is as strong as ever.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2021, 12:45:06 PM »
Because you have heard so much music it eventually becomes hard  to get the feeling of novelty.
Brain chemistry is involved as well. I take wellbutrin and I know I’ve missed a dose when
I start constantly craving music.  You will NEVER regain the sense of wonder you felt  listening to
Music in your teens and twenties.  Most musicians are artistically spent by age 30.

+1 The wireing of the brains neurological superhighway (dopamin etc.), amongst others, makes you crave for the feeling of the previous high while simultanously shifting the baseline (i.e., although you can get close, the same «substance»/event - e.g., exposure to a familiar artist/band or other areas in life - will never give you the same «high».

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2021, 12:54:18 PM »

I respectfully disagree, I'm in my 50s and I'm constantly finding brilliant stuff that moves me immensely. This just ain't it.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2021, 12:57:12 PM »
Finally heard it. Feels like a LTE song with lyrics. I liked most the more melodic part, one listening isn't enough to grasp it all but it feels like a good grower  :hat
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2021, 01:11:40 PM »
I'm worried DT (like many aging bands from the 80s/90s) has jumped the shark for me.  I have a feeling I'll just be thinking "why am I not listening to I&W" ... or Awake, or SFAM, or SDOIT or ...

I get where you're coming from, there's nothing really new or exciting on this track for me, it's just more of the same from the last few albums. They continue to amaze me with their skill, but they just can't seem to move me with the music, if that makes sense.

I think I'm there with you guys. This track 'sounds' great.....I love the musicianship.....I know where 'we' stand with JLB and what his abilities are these days so I'm not off put by him.....so all in all I  dig the song, but there's just no getting around the fact that the magic seems to be gone when it comes to what we're getting with DT. I'm not suggesting they suck or that they can't play anymore because clearly that's not the case....We're going to get fantastic musicianship.....a good stage show.....and albums that have good songs.....but I've yet to hear an album from them since 6DOIT  that I was just floored and blown away.

I've really dug individual songs off of the albums since then...but as a whole 6DOIT was the last album for me that I was just like....WOW pretty much all the way through.

I've enjoyed the post MP era music and think there have been some good songs written....but I don't find myself dialing up those albums as much as I do the 'classic' DT to listen to. I really appreciate the technicality and precision in which MM plays the drums and in all honesty think that when it comes down to technique and ability he is leaps and bounds 'better' than MP.....but the charisma and poetic way that MP plays the drums, his showmanship and ability to captivate both live and on recordings just hasn't been overcome and is the missing piece. While DT is still 'DT' because they've moved on and kept providing it really has not been the same since MP left.

That's not to say the albums they've done since he left would have been 'better' or whatever......BC&SL's was already in that formulaic routine of their songwriting.....what I'm saying is that classic DT sound and vibe is just something magical that cannot be recaptured or replicated. But I will continue to go to every concert I can, buy whatever I can to support them because they're my all time favorite band and know that they'll continue to give us good music with greatness sprinkled in there on occasion.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #147 on: August 13, 2021, 01:14:03 PM »
I totally hear ya, though I'd disagree in part in that for me, ADToE was definitely a standout album, anyone that still gets a ton of play. The emotions from that and from their output since are night and day to me.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2021, 01:42:37 PM »
Ok just tested it in my car… the video sounds a million times better then the Apple Music stream. 

The video is so heavy and amazing sounding.  The Apple Music sounds soft and not as heavy…

Even the vocals sound way better on the video.

How can this be? I’m concerned that the whole Apple Music upload will end with the same issue

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #149 on: August 13, 2021, 02:48:15 PM »
The first verse chord progression and vocal melody is a dead-ringer for the first verse of Moment Of Betrayal.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline emtee

« Reply #150 on: August 13, 2021, 03:07:49 PM »
4 spins now. Sound is great. Musicianship is great. The intro solo sounds like a closing, grand finale bit and at that juncture of the song, after this ferocious, energetic build-up, it kinds of throws me off.

I like it but don't love it. Not really getting any deep emotional connection.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I like it or am indifferent. Time will tell.

I'll say this: Mangini is crazy good on this track. JP and JM  are also excellent. I'm not feeling JLB.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #151 on: August 13, 2021, 03:22:06 PM »
I have no problem with JLB's vocals in this song whatsoever. His tone and grittiness fit the vibe and atmosphere the song has going for it. It's like listening to an episode of The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits, but with a more uplifting ending. I like the way his vocals progress too leaving his good high vocals for the end rather than having him belt them out in the middle of the song.

I actually prefer that he didn't go all out with his vocals, because if he did, then people would complain how he couldn't do those vocals justice live, like his Untethered Angel vocals live.

The lyrics and vocal lines are pretty rhythmic too and quite similar to the vocal rhythm in Room 137.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #152 on: August 13, 2021, 03:50:19 PM »

I think I'm there with you guys. This track 'sounds' great.....I love the musicianship.....I know where 'we' stand with JLB and what his abilities are these days so I'm not off put by him.....so all in all I  dig the song, but there's just no getting around the fact that the magic seems to be gone when it comes to what we're getting with DT. I'm not suggesting they suck or that they can't play anymore because clearly that's not the case....We're going to get fantastic musicianship.....a good stage show.....and albums that have good songs.....but I've yet to hear an album from them since 6DOIT  that I was just floored and blown away.

I've really dug individual songs off of the albums since then...but as a whole 6DOIT was the last album for me that I was just like....WOW pretty much all the way through.

I've enjoyed the post MP era music and think there have been some good songs written....but I don't find myself dialing up those albums as much as I do the 'classic' DT to listen to. I really appreciate the technicality and precision in which MM plays the drums and in all honesty think that when it comes down to technique and ability he is leaps and bounds 'better' than MP.....but the charisma and poetic way that MP plays the drums, his showmanship and ability to captivate both live and on recordings just hasn't been overcome and is the missing piece. While DT is still 'DT' because they've moved on and kept providing it really has not been the same since MP left.

That's not to say the albums they've done since he left would have been 'better' or whatever......BC&SL's was already in that formulaic routine of their songwriting.....what I'm saying is that classic DT sound and vibe is just something magical that cannot be recaptured or replicated. But I will continue to go to every concert I can, buy whatever I can to support them because they're my all time favorite band and know that they'll continue to give us good music with greatness sprinkled in there on occasion.

You do realise they did a bunch of albums with MP after SDOIT right?  If the magic has gone since that album then it doesn’t sound like it’s down to him leaving the band.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you to some extent as I think they peaked with SFAM and, imo SDOIT was the beginning of them going downhill.  I don’t like it as much as most do.  Where I disagree is that I think the Mangini era has been better than the post Scenes MP era.  I will also say for clarity that, when I say downhill, we’re talking about different levels of greatness here not about them doing a Queensryche.  DT have never made a bad album imo, I like all of them to varying degrees.  I just think that they now make really good albums rather than all time classics and that, in itself, is a tremendous achievement this late in their career.  I always hold out hope though that they have another classic in them, let’s hope this is it.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #153 on: August 13, 2021, 04:42:40 PM »

I respectfully disagree, I'm in my 50s and I'm constantly finding brilliant stuff that moves me immensely. This just ain't it.

Yeah, I'm with my Bay-area brother here.  I've made lots of musical discoveries over the last 5-10-20 years that hit me with as much ferocity as the first time I listened to Zeppelin, Rush, or Dream Theater. 

I'm confused with your post Bertie ... is it my age that's the issue, or the age of the band - you seem to flip flop.
 I'm pretty sure it's not *my* age that is playing the primary role that I just don't get a 'wow' factor - because as I mentioned, there are more than a few bands that are in their 30s and 40s still recording new music (see: Iron Maiden, Metallica, AC/DC, Ozzy, etc..) that just aren't floating my boat any more - and haven't for quite some time.  Rare is the 30 year-old band that is still cranking out great, innovative, and inspired music (IQ is one I can quickly think of off the top of my head).  Most older bands are like an aging athlete, still holding on to their glory years, still performing quite well, but just don't have the magic they once had.  The biggest culprit on DT in this respect is JLB.  IMO, DT12 is the last time he didn't sound heavily (completely?) filtered and/or auto-tuned.

Also, what gmiller said.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #154 on: August 13, 2021, 04:56:08 PM »
Labrie has no control over the aging of his voice.
It isnt as if he can go buy a new amp like JP can.

Liking a singer or not is a matter of taste.

How did Billy Corgan become richer than anyone in DT with
The singing voice he has? It objectively sounds horrible but
People love it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 05:03:29 PM by Bertie_Wooster »

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #155 on: August 13, 2021, 05:08:08 PM »

People love it.

Is it a matter of taste, or is it objective?

There's lots of 60+ year old singers that sound as good as they did when they were in their 30s and 40s.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Skeever

« Reply #156 on: August 13, 2021, 05:11:56 PM »
Good song. I like it.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #157 on: August 13, 2021, 05:22:49 PM »

People love it.

There's lots of 60+ year old singers that sound as good as they did when they were in their 30s and 40s.

You stayed in too long bro...should've pulled the cord after the last post.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2021, 06:07:35 PM »
Interesting song.  Listened twice and am not sure what to think.  It is obviously a technical wonderland, and I really like the sound (if the whole album sounds like that, could be their best sounding album since 6DOIT), but the vocal melodies seemed a bit lacking.  Curious to see how much more is revealed on future listens.  Some of my favorite DT songs are ones I was iffy on at first, so time will tell.

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #159 on: August 13, 2021, 06:12:33 PM »
Eh it's ok. The beginning and end of the song sounds good, the middle really loses me. Mangini's performance stands out for sure, excellent drumming and some of the best I've heard from him yet. I generally love LaBrie but he doesn't sound great here and I feel like half of it has do to with the vocal melody.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: August 13, 2021, 06:21:26 PM »
I do think this sounds a bit DT by numbers - but I don't think they're capable of putting out an outright terrible album. No The Astonishing isn't terrible cause it's mostly piano and not much Prog.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #161 on: August 13, 2021, 06:42:52 PM »

People love it.

Jon Anderson is still killing it in his seventies.. 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #162 on: August 13, 2021, 06:43:44 PM »

People love it.

Yup, killing anything he sings over...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: August 13, 2021, 06:48:45 PM »
I'll tell you who's voice still sounds great and that's Bryan Adams. Dude is like 62 and can still reach all the same notes and with the same power.

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #164 on: August 13, 2021, 06:56:12 PM »
Billy Gibons too.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: August 13, 2021, 07:03:13 PM »
As a fan of the smashing pumpkins, I can tell you people rip on his voice too these days for the same reason all of the older vocalists get ripped on.  Their voices age.  And yes, I understand that wasn't the point of bringing him up, but wanted to add that.

Yeah, I'm with my Bay-area brother here.  I've made lots of musical discoveries over the last 5-10-20 years that hit me with as much ferocity as the first time I listened to Zeppelin, Rush, or Dream Theater. 

My interpretation of this, is that he means you've listened to DT for so long that they are no longer interesting.  Which kind of makes some sense to me.  They have kind of gotten into a mold of their sound and haven't changed much in the MM era.  The one album that did change things up, TA, was frowned upon by the fan base.  So when you kind of keep hearing this similar style music from the same band, it no longer has the WOW effect.  However, you can listen to another band and get that feeling because it will sound fresh to you.  I feel like I fall into this catagory, DT songs don't really blow me away anymore like they used to.  I do still find enjoyment in them though, just not in the same way.  I could be off on my interpretation.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #166 on: August 13, 2021, 07:09:55 PM »

People love it.

Yup, killing anything he sings over...

:lol

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2021, 07:24:51 PM »
I have bought every DT album since Awake on the day it came out.
DT is the only band I really get giddy about hearing a new album. Mostly because of JP.
The only album I have been “meh” about was Distance over Time.
I liked Soen’s album a lot better.
I love the Alien for both thematic and musical reasons. i think the new album will be a classic.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #168 on: August 13, 2021, 07:25:59 PM »
I can't really think of many singers around the same age and genre that sounds much better than James, especially if they are around the same age too. But he does stick out more when the rest of the band are always so perfect. That's one element that a lot of other bands don't have going, take something like Iron Maiden and Bruce isn't the only who's performance can sometimes be a little loose.

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #169 on: August 13, 2021, 07:34:00 PM »
Plus Iron maiden has a lot of generic sounding songs

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #170 on: August 13, 2021, 08:04:11 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 01:15:46 PM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #171 on: August 13, 2021, 08:09:11 PM »
The video for At Wit's End uses the Blu-ray mix of D/T. Maybe the video for The Alien uses the Blu-ray mix too, and that's why it sounds differently than the streaming versions of the song.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #172 on: August 13, 2021, 08:16:29 PM »

People love it.

Boy are you going to be surprised about your penis in your 50's.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #173 on: August 13, 2021, 08:33:02 PM »
Joe  :heart

I have bought every DT album since Awake on the day it came out.
DT is the only band I really get giddy about hearing a new album. Mostly because of JP.
The only album I have been “meh” about was Distance over Time.
I liked Soen’s album a lot better.
I love the Alien for both thematic and musical reasons. i think the new album will be a classic.

And that's perfectly fine, that's your objective opinion about it, and I'm not gonna make some long winded excuse about brain chemistry over why, just as you can respect my opinion over why it did nothing for me emotionally I stead of trying to get all bio-psychological on me.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #174 on: August 13, 2021, 08:37:28 PM »

People love it.

Boy are you going to be surprised about your penis in your 50's.
Man I love you lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing