Author Topic: The Alien Listening Party ! ALL SPOILERS !  (Read 38319 times)

Offline LKap13

Re: The Alien Listening Party ! ALL SPOILERS !
« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2021, 07:47:57 AM »
It's leagues better than PBD which had no melody. This one is heavy but has great melodic moments. JLB might sound "buried" but I suspect that was done intentionally -- maybe like a Space Control vibe? His voice sounds different, but in a good way. Better than recent albums. Good vocal melodies. Overall, definite progression of sound for this band, which is absolutely incredible. It's awesome

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2021, 08:08:26 AM »
Very disjointed, no melodic hook to me at all in the vocals.  There are some nice Petrucci moments here and there and I’m sure it’s a technical masterclass but left me cold.  Lots of notes but none of them memorable..

That could all change in time but first impression is that there’s no danger of me overplaying this before the album release.
At the end of my first listen now and these are my initial thoughts first spin.  Stand outs to me are MM for sure, and JM sounds good.

I think I'm in this camp too :/

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2021, 08:13:57 AM »
I suppose I'm going to be in the minority here...

Listened to the song last night and again this morning...my takeaway? I LOVE IT.

As others have noted, the production is top notch. Very much in line with 'The Astonishing,' which, despite my overall disappointment, is a record that I think 'sounds' amazing.

–JP is in top form...the intro solo reminded me of ITPOE Pt. 1, and I love his phrasing.

–JR brings his usual bag of tricks, but I particularly enjoy his piano playing throughout.

–MM and JM sound great...this is probably the best this 'rhythm' section has sounded on record.

–JLB kills it. I love the lyrics and concept, and I think the production and mix of the vocals is a step up from DOT. Again, I am in the minority here, but my first impression was that the vocal melodies were a perfect fit for this song. I actually find this chorus to be very 'catchy,' especially for what feels like an Overture of sorts. Different strokes of course, but to my ears, James sounds in great form, and there's a lot more 'bottom' and fullness to his voice this time out (as compared to DOT).

–As for the actual song itself...I feel it is an adventurous arrangement that covers a surprising amount of ground for its length.

I am very excited for the new album, but as a standalone 'single,' this is easily my favorite song released since 8VM, surpassing 'Constant Motion,' 'Rite of Passage,' 'On The Backs of Angels,' 'Enemy Inside,' 'Gift of Music,' and 'Untethered Angel.'

Kudos to the band!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2021, 08:14:51 AM »

The volume on the video is way louder on my phone and it seems to give it better range when I turn it down slightly.

Any audiophiles have any input here?  It sound good on both but seems more colorful and vibrant on the YouTube video just released.

I think one of the main reasons people give a negative review is a knee jerk reaction from listening to the song on their cheesy phones.
For the first listen, I piped it in through my big house stereo and it sounded outstanding!  The vocals sounded just right in the mix too, and JLB did a great job imo.  I'm really excited about the mix, and I think this blows away any single from the previous few albums.  I've only listened to the song twice, and everything clicked on the second time around. I have a very good feeling about this album.   :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2021, 08:27:32 AM »

The volume on the video is way louder on my phone and it seems to give it better range when I turn it down slightly.

Any audiophiles have any input here?  It sound good on both but seems more colorful and vibrant on the YouTube video just released.

I think one of the main reasons people give a negative review is a knee jerk reaction from listening to the song on their cheesy phones.
For the first listen, I piped it in through my big house stereo and it sounded outstanding!  The vocals sounded just right in the mix too, and JLB did a great job imo.  I'm really excited about the mix, and I think this blows away any single from the previous few albums.  I've only listened to the song twice, and everything clicked on the second time around. I have a very good feeling about this album.   :coolio

This.

I get being disappointed in the way something sounds, but I need to at least hear something in my car before I'm going to really dissect it.

Online Trav86

« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2021, 08:37:20 AM »
I suppose I'm going to be in the minority here...

Listened to the song last night and again this morning...my takeaway? I LOVE IT.

As others have noted, the production is top notch. Very much in line with 'The Astonishing,' which, despite my overall disappointment, is a record that I think 'sounds' amazing.

–JP is in top form...the intro solo reminded me of ITPOE Pt. 1, and I love his phrasing.

–JR brings his usual bag of tricks, but I particularly enjoy his piano playing throughout.

–MM and JM sound great...this is probably the best this 'rhythm' section has sounded on record.

–JLB kills it. I love the lyrics and concept, and I think the production and mix of the vocals is a step up from DOT. Again, I am in the minority here, but my first impression was that the vocal melodies were a perfect fit for this song. I actually find this chorus to be very 'catchy,' especially for what feels like an Overture of sorts. Different strokes of course, but to my ears, James sounds in great form, and there's a lot more 'bottom' and fullness to his voice this time out (as compared to DOT).

–As for the actual song itself...I feel it is an adventurous arrangement that covers a surprising amount of ground for its length.

I am very excited for the new album, but as a standalone 'single,' this is easily my favorite song released since 8VM, surpassing 'Constant Motion,' 'Rite of Passage,' 'On The Backs of Angels,' 'Enemy Inside,' 'Gift of Music,' and 'Untethered Angel.'

Kudos to the band!

We’re on the same team!

I loved it. I’ve enjoyed every release, but this is the best song in awhile! Without a doubt the best pre-release single.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2021, 08:39:16 AM »

Well it was on earphones though… the sound is literally louder on the music video than on Apple Music.  Just seems strange and it seems like the video allows for more range. 

I would say this is my favorite single since octavarium other than gift of music.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2021, 08:41:45 AM »
I'm always amused when I see comments like "but there's no hooks!" for a song by a progressive rock band.  :D

Offline T-ski

« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2021, 08:52:06 AM »
After my initial listen, I’m in the camp of it’s to disjointed as well.

I don’t want to hear the, “it’s Dream Theater, what did you expect?” comments either. Most of us have been fans for 30 years, we know the drill. It just sounds like they put too many ideas into this one song and it just doesn’t flow to me. Some parts are great, some miss the mark.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online HOF

« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2021, 08:56:59 AM »
This is available on streaming services now as well (at least Amazon unlimited). After watching the youtube video I streamed the HD version on Amazon over my room speakers. I actually thought it sounded worse, but my bluetooth setup never does anything justice. Haven't tried with a cable, which usually sounds better. But I've noticed even Amazon HD doesn't sound as good as the CD, so who knows.

Listening again, and the vocal sections are a bit of a mess. The instrumental sections are very cool though for the most part. 

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2021, 08:58:34 AM »
It really does get better with every listen. My first listen was last night and although it definitely impressed me in many camps, I didn't quite get it.

I'm going for my third or fourth listen this morning and it's blowing my mind away. So good. It's all over the place and I fucking love it.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #116 on: August 13, 2021, 08:59:40 AM »
Still can't get over the ending. It's like JLB, who wrote the lyrics and presumably the vocal melodies, suddenly goes "hey, I got something up my sleeve" then unleashes those wonderful vocals. Then the band finally revealed their hand and ended the song on a high.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #117 on: August 13, 2021, 09:00:30 AM »
My first impressions is that I like it, but I'll need more listen to really make a proper judgment. There were some transitions that did feel a bit jarring, but I might get used to them as I get more familiar with the song. But I like the sound overall and it seems like every member is quite balanced soundwise. 

And I thought James sounded really nice. He stays mostly in a comfortable range, which to me is a good thing. But there's enough variation and his delivery is energetic enough that it doesnt sound boring. There was also some interesting textures with the vocals that I thought were different from what we heard in DT before which is cool.

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: August 13, 2021, 09:11:54 AM »
Agreed w/ the camp of people saying keeps getting better. Also as someone said in the other thread, watching it with the video definitely adds appreciation for whats happening / being said musically (also strangely sounds better than the itunes version). Regardless if the album is one concept, or its an album of "concept as song" where every track is a standalone epic vibe, it going to be one hell of an album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2021, 09:18:26 AM »
Three listens in… and it’s…Dream Theater.

The thing is bleeding hooks. It’s just that they’re brief and when you realize it, they’re on to the next one.
I mean, AROP had hooks but I’m taking The Alien all day long.

I love the ending.

DT, as always, will check a lot of boxes on the album, so if anyone didn’t get out of The Alien what they hoped, I have no doubt you’ll be more than satisfied when the album comes out.

Me, I like my DT a little wanky. And I liked this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2021, 09:26:53 AM »

The thing is bleeding hooks. It’s just that they’re brief and when you realize it, they’re on to the next one.

I love the ending.

DT, as always, will check a lot of boxes on the album, so if anyone didn’t get out of The Alien what they hoped, I have no doubt you’ll be more than satisfied when the album comes out.

Yeah, all of that.  I agree with the couple of people who have said that this is quite a bit different for a lead single for them.  It's not anything new for DT in general.  But I would expect something like this as a deep album cut, not a single.  I guess they figure that people who listen to them know what to expect, so they can just put themselves out there like this now, and that's a cool thing. 

Also meant to say in my "first impression" post that there is a lot in the first part of the song that reminds me of the instrumental section of Sacrifices Sons and parts of ITPOE.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Art

« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2021, 09:32:52 AM »
Heard it once and liked it. My favorite parts were Petrucci's solos and the bass tone.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2021, 09:38:33 AM »
Only listen to it once but I’m with Tim and Bosk. It’s not anything really new, but it’s very different for a lead single. I love that seems to be more of a grower than an instant hook…those songs tend to have more staying power with me.

It’s extremely hard to tell from the YouTube version that I heard, but it appears we are in for a treat as far as the mixing and sound goes.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline dparrott

« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2021, 09:42:46 AM »
I love the crazy drums and timing changes, but disappointed that there's no sci-fi sounds or effects, everything is still standard DT.  If they release the stems I could do a cool sci-fi remix.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2021, 09:43:09 AM »
Just took a break from work to watch the video.  Pleasantly surprised after the fairly pointless animated things last time around.  This actually enhances the song and helps tell the story.  Ok it’s not a super expensive thing with the band included but as a visual accompaniment, it works.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 09:56:16 AM by Peter Mc »

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2021, 09:44:47 AM »
I love the crazy drums and timing changes, but disappointed that there's no sci-fi sounds or effects, everything is still standard DT.  If they release the stems I could do a cool sci-fi remix.

There will be a 5.1 mix so kinda
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2021, 09:50:29 AM »
First listen, I like it!

I hear melody, not sure why others aren't.  I think maybe like TAC said, they are short little hooks. I like it.  Instrumentation is really strong here.  This sounds like DT through and through so maybe that's a good thing or bad thing depending on your take.  I've never been the type that thinks bands need to change, as long as the new music is good, I don't mind holding onto your style.  My only issue is JLB, and it's not that he's bad here, it's just that, this is who he is now.  I've accepted that, but it does kind of feel different when he's really not soaring with the vocals and it's really a bit restrained to fit his current vocal abilities.  It is what it is. 

Also, it feels like there's a lot of similarities to other songs here.  I got a bit of a ITPOE pt1 vibe with the intro.  That JP intro solo reminds me of Barstool Warrior.  There's probably more, but I only got one listen in.

As for disjointed... it's a 9 minute DT song. That's kind of expected in some ways.  I don't mind it, comes off well to my ears and tastes.  :metal :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2021, 09:56:31 AM »
Couple of additional thought on James:

-Again, no complaints whatsoever about his vocal performance or the melody.  I do get what a few have mentioned about the vocals effects being very heavy, and distorting his voice.  But to me, I didn't even question it right from the getgo ever if it was a bit jarring because the spacey effects are consistent with the subject matter of the song.  To me, it fits perfectly. 

-On the last album, I made a point to really compliment James as a lyricist.  I don't necessarily go crazy over all of his lyrics.  But a lot of them really stand out to me, and on the last album in particular, I think he really stood out and was really on his A-game.  I was thinking about that going into this one.  And a few of the passages on this song initially seems overly simplistic (I didn't read through the post of the entire set of lyrics).  So, when listening to this, I caught myself thinking "Oh well.  I guess you can't always expect a home run.  Sometimes, you just have to be content with a base hit or a walk."  Then I processed the ending of the song and was like, "Oh, wow.  That's actually a pretty clever twist, and pretty in line with James's typical insightfulness.  Well done.  :clap:"
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline adastra

« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2021, 10:07:19 AM »
Wow! What a weird choice to be released as a first song.
It took me 3 listens to get anything out of the song. Keeps getting better!

There´s so much happening. This must be the most complicated single by Dream Theater?
The mixing sounds pretty good, nothing to wrong there! All the instruments are easy to hear.

James sound like James and I like that... But somehow I feel that this song is too complicated to have a nice vocal melodies.
Well, Seventh Wonder is complicated but still has nice melodies. So why it doesnt work here. I dont know.
I think that the composer (Petrucci?) shoots James in the foot with this one. James sounds nice, but the melodies are bland and something i´ve pretty used to in post-2010 Dream Theater.

The Ending is the best part of the song! I Really like it. 
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2021, 10:09:46 AM »
It really does get better with every listen. My first listen was last night and although it definitely impressed me in many camps, I didn't quite get it.

I'm going for my third or fourth listen this morning and it's blowing my mind away. So good. It's all over the place and I fucking love it.

Indeed. I'm not surprised. Generally my first DT auditions are not of good quality.  :lol

JLB didn't catch my attention on the first audition, but I'm enjoying his vocals more now.  :)

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2021, 10:17:43 AM »
There's a part in the song (I think it would be the pre-chorus?) which reminds me of the heavy verse in "Peruvian Skies". Anyone else?

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2021, 10:22:19 AM »
Had about 6 listens now. Liked it very much on listen 1 but listen was like CLICK! Love it to bits. Going to try to listen to it any more until the album now.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2021, 10:25:06 AM »
Ok, I got a couple spins under my belt..initial thoughts...

Musically it's solid of course, not fantastic, but a solid song. Some nice work by JP, average and predictable stuff from JR.

the vocal parts are killing me though, not JLB's vocals specifically, but the vocal melodies, the lyrics, the chorus and the filters they use. It seems they're trying to go for some dramatic effect and for me it falls short. Im figuring it's specific to this track.

Mangini is a fucking monster. :omg:

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2021, 10:27:15 AM »

There´s so much happening. This must be the most complicated single by Dream Theater?
The mixing sounds pretty good, nothing to wrong there! All the instruments are easy to hear.

James sound like James and I like that... But somehow I feel that this song is too complicated to have a nice vocal melodies.
Well, Seventh Wonder is complicated but still has nice melodies. So why it doesnt work here. I dont know.
I think that the composer (Petrucci?) shoots James in the foot with this one. James sounds nice, but the melodies are bland and something i´ve pretty used to in post-2010 Dream Theater.

The melodies are bland since 2010? I feel like JLB vocals were unleashed after MP left the band and that's when they became more melodious. This song, like PBD, doesn't lend itself to much melodious moments but that the way it came out so that's how I will accept it. I am really enjoying all aspects of the musicality!  :metal

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2021, 10:39:27 AM »
For all the people saying that the twists and turns and transitions make no sense and come from out of nowhere:

A) you've heard DT before, yes?

B) go listen to some mathcore.  THEN you'll hear changes etc. that make no sense and simply are changes for changes sake (I'm personally not a fan)

Offline adastra

« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2021, 10:54:43 AM »

The melodies are bland since 2010? I feel like JLB vocals were unleashed after MP left the band and that's when they became more melodious. This song, like PBD, doesn't lend itself to much melodious moments but that the way it came out so that's how I will accept it. I am really enjoying all aspects of the musicality!  :metal

Haha, I feel the complete opposite :D
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2021, 10:58:26 AM »
I'm worried DT (like many aging bands from the 80s/90s) has jumped the shark for me.  I have a feeling I'll just be thinking "why am I not listening to I&W" ... or Awake, or SFAM, or SDOIT or ...

:-\
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online geeeemo

« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2021, 11:04:07 AM »
I'm worried DT (like many aging bands from the 80s/90s) has jumped the shark for me.  I have a feeling I'll just be thinking "why am I not listening to I&W" ... or Awake, or SFAM, or SDOIT or ...

:-\

I went to a new spin class yesterday. There was only me and another woman. I mentioned I may just put on my earbuds - and the instructor said, "who do you want to listen to?" Dream Theater.  "Ok" she said, "I will play them", and she did. Up comes PMU, TEI, PA and then AD. I thought to myself - "please I don't want to workout to I&W." 

Really my most listened to DT music is everything but I&W and WDaDu. Not even so much Awake anymore. So, I think its all about personal taste - and that was hashed out earlier this week.

Offline paulstfu

« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2021, 11:09:11 AM »
At first listen:

- Comparing it to previous lead singles, this one feels weird.
- Mangini > everyone
- What a clean and punchy sound, an amazing production
- WTF 10 MINUTES, I FELT LIKE IT WAS 5 MINUTES
- Looks as if they tried to fit a lot of ideas in
- BEST THINGS: The melodic stuff, Myung, Mangini, the dual solo and THAT OUTRO

After some listens

- It is definitely a grower, keeps getting better at each listen
- It does feel weird as a first single, would fit as second or third singles
- I'm starting to note the different parts, they flow better each time I hear them
- The chorus is good, but might have been better
- James at the outro is superb
- MM is a monster on the drums, what an amazing work, he shines in every part of the song
Standing on the Wetbacks of angels (?)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2021, 11:14:47 AM »

I love the ending.

Funny you mention AROP, which I consider to be one of DT's most boring singles ever although it's very melodic in nature. Melodic does not always mean it's gonna be good.

This song *has* melody, but it's happening in ways that are definitely more complex to catch on with just the first couple of listens. This is probably DT's most complex, compositionally-wise, single in pretty much forever.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing