Author Topic: Marvel Studios' What If...? (Disney+) - All S2 Eps now out! S3 teased!  (Read 15911 times)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Marvel Studios' What If...? (Disney+) - Episode 1 (August 11th)
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2021, 07:35:46 AM »

Plus, as far as I'm concerned she was already a super soldier in that department.

:lol

Offline PetFish

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2021, 06:35:28 PM »
I love the animation style.

But isn't she Captain UK now?  What was the point of changing that part when it's still a US-funded-and-developed project?

What If... she was Canadian and jumped into the machine?  Would she now be "Captain Canuck"?  Would she be Captain America with a white/red suit/shield?

If someone can explain why she's Captain America but with the UK flag I'd really appreciate it.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2021, 06:43:58 PM »
I love the animation style.

But isn't she Captain UK now?  What was the point of changing that part when it's still a US-funded-and-developed project?

What If... she was Canadian and jumped into the machine?  Would she now be "Captain Canuck"?  Would she be Captain America with a white/red suit/shield?

If someone can explain why she's Captain America but with the UK flag I'd really appreciate it.

Well, since she was rejected by Flynn, and the US Govt by association, she was let go of the program but Howard Stark personally funded her with a new costume and a shield, so she wasn't really associated with the US Govt, but because Britain and the US were allies during WWII, she presumably worked with them when she started doing missions, initially to save Bucky and their troop from Hydra (just like Steve did in The First Avenger).

I guess technically she should be Captain Britain, who is an established character in the comics, and there's even a Captain Britain Corps, a group of interdimensional, alternate versions of Captain Britain who team up together, which could be a possibility in future Marvel Studios What If...? stories.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online The Letter M

Re: Marvel Studios' What If...? (Disney+) - Episode 2 (August 18th)
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2021, 07:34:47 AM »
Just watched the new episode (before heading off to work). Gotta say, I really liked this one too! There were a lot of returning characters we know (and love) from the MCU but in VERY different circumstances, which I like to see. This is quite a contrast to last week's episode in that it sees these characters further past the diverging point premise of the episode, so we have to draw conclusions and inferences from context and conversation about why they've ended up where they have. Granted, it's a bit more exposition-y than usual because we have to fill in some blanks, but seeing where things have ended up in this alternate 2008 timeline is totally worth it.

Fans of Black Panther/T'Challa, the Guardians films, and Infinity War will really like this episode!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 03:37:51 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2021, 08:22:07 AM »
Really fun episode, loved the Thanos bit. Also nice usage of Howard.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2021, 10:17:10 AM »
I wasn't going to watch this series (got a lot of stuff going on right now), but if it's considered canon, then I guess I will.  Also, the reviews and discussion here make it sound like it will be okay and not a waste of time.

Also, kudos to DTF for 22 correct uses of the word "canon" (23 now!) and no one mentioning "cannon".  That always bugs me.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2021, 10:50:18 AM »
I can't get into this show.  It's cute for what it is, but I find myself bored after 5 minutes of each episode. 

I think the only thing that makes it canon is that they're playing around in the multiverse and telling alternate stories (and that they have so many of the original film's cast members in voice roles).

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2021, 02:56:45 PM »
That second episode was a blast. I particularly enjoyed Thanos being one of the Ravagers and generally a good guy. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2021, 03:02:12 PM »
That second episode was a blast. I particularly enjoyed Thanos being one of the Ravagers and generally a good guy. :lol

Seeing Thanos at ALL was honestly one of my favorite parts of the whole episode, especially when trying to convince others that his original quest was still viable. :lol ("That still sounds like genocide...")

-Marc.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2021, 07:12:07 PM »

Seeing Thanos at ALL was honestly one of my favorite parts of the whole episode, especially when trying to convince others that his original quest was still viable. :lol ("That still sounds like genocide...")

-Marc.

"Yeah, but it's efficient!"   :rollin :rollin  I really wanted him to look up at Proxima and Obsidian as he was getting his ass kicked and say "all that for a drop of blood".

Lots of fun with that episode, but man, the voice acting is so inconsistent.  No way you could've convinced me that was Karen Gillian.  And Del Torro did a terrible job at re-creating his essence of The Collector.  Didn't recognize his voice or delivery at all - though I did like what they did with The Collector in general.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online The Letter M

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2021, 07:53:37 PM »
Lots of fun with that episode, but man, the voice acting is so inconsistent.  No way you could've convinced me that was Karen Gillian.  And Del Torro did a terrible job at re-creating his essence of The Collector.  Didn't recognize his voice or delivery at all - though I did like what they did with The Collector in general.

I think because I knew going in that it was Karen Gillan that I was able to pick up on her voice right away. She's definitely doing a different take on her character but given this version of her was never fully abused (if at all) by Thanos, she's lived a very different life and isn't so angry and embittered with revenge and rage. Likewise, because The Collector became a different version of himself, I could dismiss the different take on Benicio del Toro's character. He became a more power-hungry, underworld collector, almost a mob boss with a specific weapons trophy case. I mean, he somehow found a way to get both Cap's shield (which should have technically still be under ice in 2008? but maybe it was an alternate version of him?...) AND Mjolnir, not to mention somehow getting Hela's crown/helmet thing. His reach and power is a lot greater in this timeline, so he's got a bit of a different demeanor than his more subtle-yet-flamboyant version as seen in the main MCU.

-Marc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2021, 11:44:16 AM »
Unfortunately, this episode was more in line with my original thoughts on the series of "is this something we really need?"  It did have a few moments that made me smile.  But otherwise, didn't really care for it, and feel like this is just diluting the MCU quality.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2021, 02:22:40 PM »
I enjoyed it. It was fun and really sweet and captured the essence of being a hero that Marvel comics does so well.

Was it necessary? Doubtful. Will it play a big role in anything phase 4? Doubtful. But it was fun and I enjoyed it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2021, 02:54:25 PM »
I don’t think there will be a lot of What If...? content playing a large role in the MCU movies. Maybe a minor scene here Nd there, but nothing terribly significant.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2021, 07:22:11 AM »
We’ll, I really enjoyed it.
I think the only role these episodes will play in phase 4, 5 and others is to show us that ANYTHING is possible from now on due to the multiverse.

How many episodes are left?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2021, 07:47:58 AM »
Jumped the shark for me with Thanos being a bro and what not. Eye-rolling stuff.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2021, 08:36:49 AM »
Second episode was interesting for various reasons, but it didn't work for me quite as well as the first one did.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2021, 08:45:53 AM »
There certainly was a heady amount of cheese to both episodes, of which I thought was predictable given the overall theme and how the show is being delivered. Fortunately I like cheese, and thought the Thanos shit was hilarious.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2021, 09:03:04 AM »
We’ll, I really enjoyed it.
I think the only role these episodes will play in phase 4, 5 and others is to show us that ANYTHING is possible from now on due to the multiverse.

How many episodes are left?

Supposedly, both seasons 1 and 2 are 9 episodes each, so 7 more for this first season. The release date for season two is TBD.

-Marc.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2021, 07:31:34 AM »
I watched the first two and they're about what I expected.  Literally taking the question "What if...?" and filling in the blank and then coming up with a story.  Mostly fun and/or interesting alternate takes on known characters.  Not perfect, but sometimes pretty good storytelling and not a waste of half an hour, either.

Online The Letter M

Re: Marvel Studios' What If...? (Disney+) - Episode 3 (August 25th)
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2021, 07:46:29 AM »
Hoo boy, episode three is something else! I love that they're tackling something like Fury's Big Week, which I'm sure the more casual MCU fans might have not even known was a thing, let alone that Iron Man 2, Thor, and The Incredible Hulk all took place within a week's time. I honestly was surprised at the twist at the end, the culprit behind it all!

Definitely a very fun episode, and it's a bit weird to see/hear Mark Ruffalo's Banner/Hulk played out during the Incredible Hulk era, but it was cool to revisit some of those moments/characters!

Fans of MCU Phase 1 will probably really enjoy this one, I know I did!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 09:41:44 AM by The Letter M »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2021, 08:54:12 AM »
Totally agree Marc, that was one fun episode for sure. Didn't even make the connection that it was Ruffalo doing Norton era Banner, we've just gotten so used to him in general.

Online faizoff

« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2021, 08:42:16 PM »
I loved it, probably my favorite episode so far.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2021, 06:21:45 AM »
I'm loving all of these.  It's a bummer when you've got 75% of the original voices, then you have to hear someone try to impersonate Ross (for instance).  I joked with jingle.son that even if they'd had ScarJo for BW, they probably would've re-dubbed over her voice given the events of the past month.   :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2021, 06:40:32 AM »
Yea. These are fun stories. It's my least favorite show so far though. Even most of the returning cast are not very good voice actors. The stories also just feel so rushed. Like it's hard to really engage (for me) with much of it cause it's over so soon and everything happens so damn fast.

The story lines are actually cool and fun. I just wish they didn't rush through them and that the voice talent had a better handle on how to be voice talent.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2021, 07:36:47 AM »
Def the best ep so far, Great laughs.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2021, 07:57:58 AM »
Yea. These are fun stories. It's my least favorite show so far though. Even most of the returning cast are not very good voice actors. The stories also just feel so rushed. Like it's hard to really engage (for me) with much of it cause it's over so soon and everything happens so damn fast.

The story lines are actually cool and fun. I just wish they didn't rush through them and that the voice talent had a better handle on how to be voice talent.

Because I enjoy a lot of anime and follow a lot of English dubbing voice actors on social media (especially ones that I have met in person), it always tickles me when folks try to belittle them in ways like saying "voice acting isn't hard", but it really is. It's more than just acting, and there's quite a different skill-set involved than on-screen or stage acting, even though many voice actors have done both, but you can't say that many stage or on-screen actors have done voice acting, and if they have, it probably wasn't as good as a voice actor doing non-VO roles.

You can definitely tell who in the MCU has done some voice over before and who is just trying to ham it up, but that also may be the fault of the script. A lot of voice over tends to get punched up a bit to help sell punchlines or exaggerate (this goes for Western animation with the voices done pre-vis and also for dubbing), so maybe the directors of the voice talent tried to compensate by going harder on the punched up dialog. Either way, this show is a good example of showing someone how difficult really good voice acting can be, and it makes me appreciate the dubbing voice industry even more given how the quality of some dubbed anime has risen over the years!

-Marc.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2021, 09:27:06 AM »
I liked this episode a lot.  Much better than last week's IMO.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2021, 10:28:09 AM »
I'll return to what I said above about the comics.  "What if...?" was something that, when I saw it on the shelf, I would think something along the lines of, "Eh, maybe someday if I'm just bored, want some Marvel, and there isn't something else to read."  Similar feeling here that gets more entrenched as the series goes on.  If my kids weren't into it, I wouldn't bother.  First episode was fun enough.  The second and third have had a few moments here and there, but otherwise aren't really doing it for me. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2021, 04:35:38 PM »
I guess I'm in the "meh, it's okay" category as well.  As I've said, I don't have a problem asking the question "What if...?" but the answer has to lead to a story I give a damn about, and in this case it just wasn't grabbing me.  Yep, some serious shit went on, but nothing about the resolution of any of it blew me away, and I have trouble getting invested in it because -- canon or not -- part of my brain says it's not "really" happening; it's literally just someone asking a question and then showing us how they think the answer would play out.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2021, 08:38:20 PM »
That's a good way of putting it. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2021, 04:35:06 AM »
No need to overthink things.  It's just 30 minutes of entertainment.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2021, 06:33:26 AM »
No need to overthink things.  It's just 30 minutes of entertainment.

Wrong room for that logic bro.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2021, 06:51:11 AM »
I've enjoyed all three episodes so far as fun, throwaway bits of entertainment. I don't feel that need to see each episode ASAP the first morning like I did with Wandavision and Loki, but the quality is certainly there.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2021, 06:11:39 PM »
How can a Hawkeye’s arrow kill Thor?