Author Topic: Marvel Studios' What If...? (Disney+) - All S2 Eps now out! S3 teased!  (Read 15864 times)

Offline jammindude

The multiverse....all of reality as we could possibly know it.....is at risk of complete annihilation by a sentient robot with unlimited god like power. I need to assemble a team that will be able to stop him. How about....

...a Thor that has no sense of responsibility or seriousness at all
...a T'Challa who is a really nice and sweet guy
...a black panther that is happy to watch the world burn
...a very strong British woman.
...and one sorcerer supreme who actually might be able to help.

Yes...that is the perfect team. Definitely not a fleet of Captain Marvel's. Definitely not a Vision or Thanos from another reality. This is the right team.

Oh come on. I get the slight flaws, but it was more fun this way. Don’t lose the ability to suspend disbelief and just have fun with it. This wasn’t “Princess Leia force flying my way through space” levels of ridiculous. I thought it was put together rather well.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Letter M

The multiverse....all of reality as we could possibly know it.....is at risk of complete annihilation by a sentient robot with unlimited god like power. I need to assemble a team that will be able to stop him. How about....

...a Thor that has no sense of responsibility or seriousness at all
...a T'Challa who is a really nice and sweet guy
...a black panther that is happy to watch the world burn
...a very strong British woman.
...and one sorcerer supreme who actually might be able to help.

Yes...that is the perfect team. Definitely not a fleet of Captain Marvel's. Definitely not a Vision or Thanos from another reality. This is the right team.

It wasn't so much about their strength or power but more about their experiences, such as Peggy knowing Natasha, or knowing there would be someone who would betray them to separate the stones from the Ultron body. And Thor's "Leeroy Jenkins!" into battle early was also probably foreseen by Uatu and part of his plan for this team. As Strange said at the end, Uatu saw everything and it turned out as he had seen.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
I’m mostly just poking fun.

I enjoyed it a lot, but I’m not going to pretend it was better written than I think it was.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
I finished the series.  It did turn out better than I thought it would.  I found myself actually caught up in it, surprised by a few things, stunned by a few turns, all the good stuff.  So huzzah for them making me care.

I still maintain that you had to swallow a lot of WTF to get to the point where it came together.  I like experimental stuff, media that tries something new and different, but the result still has to grab me on its own merits.  It's not cool just because it's edgy, different, experimental.  Those attributes will usually get me to stick around longer, but they alone won't win me over.

So somehow this is all canon, and there's already a second season coming.  Okay, we shall see.

Offline The Letter M

I finished the series.  It did turn out better than I thought it would.  I found myself actually caught up in it, surprised by a few things, stunned by a few turns, all the good stuff.  So huzzah for them making me care.

I still maintain that you had to swallow a lot of WTF to get to the point where it came together.  I like experimental stuff, media that tries something new and different, but the result still has to grab me on its own merits.  It's not cool just because it's edgy, different, experimental.  Those attributes will usually get me to stick around longer, but they alone won't win me over.

So somehow this is all canon, and there's already a second season coming.  Okay, we shall see.

I'm glad you ended up liking it (for the most part at least). And yeah, it's all technically canon, and I can see them revisiting these concepts/ideas in Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness next March, and possibly in Ant-Man And The Wasp: Quantumania as well. I also wouldn't be surprised if they try to throw in some of these variants as cameos in DSITMOM or Loki Season 2. I'm sure Hayley Atwell would love to be a live action Captain Carter, and I bet Cumberbatch would enjoy a live action version of Strange Supreme.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Alright, saw the first 5 episodes. Really enjoying it so far, not at all what I expected.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Letter M

Just watched the Making Of Documentary on Disney+  which dropped today. Very interesting insight into how they came about the idea with interviews with Kevin Feige, Jeffrey Wright, and the creative team behind the show.

There is also a bit of a tease about a plot point for season two (which makes sense given the post-credits scene from the finale of season one).

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

Re: Marvel Studios' What If...? (Disney+) - Season 2 coming Dec. 22! Trailer out!
« Reply #182 on: November 15, 2023, 08:16:18 PM »
https://youtu.be/TiEVqZ2Bc_c?si=Cmkey_1SVhS8loFq

Here's the trailer for s2, coming Dec 22nd and releasing daily!

-Marc.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Marvel Studios' What If...? (Disney+) - Season 2 coming Dec. 22! Trailer out!
« Reply #183 on: December 23, 2023, 06:17:36 AM »
First EP of season 2 is out. Haven't watch yet

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #184 on: December 23, 2023, 07:28:15 AM »
Watched the first two episodes, pretty good so far.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #185 on: December 23, 2023, 07:39:49 AM »
Ep 1 - Loved the very stylized take on this one. I like that we open the season with an off-Earth story and focus on characters that weren't in Phase 1. Lots of fun cameos too, but just a solid story over all, and very visually exciting.

Ep 2 - A fun one, with an interesting premise that feels very believable. Seeing stories like this one make me wish the episodes were twice as long so we could get more of these previously unseen character interactions, especially since they've got a lot of the actors who originally portrayed these characters on screen.

So far, I've greatly enjoyed both episodes so Season 2 is 2/2 for me. Looking at the episode titles for the rest of the season, there are some exciting possibilities here that I cannot wait to see!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02fhKo2xMBUjjHTPExLCanSFRkdV61LKQA2vpFrpYZmA8seiNkLEdasMuEmKkJr49Al&id=100044308275504&mibextid=Nif5oz
Facebook post from Marvel Studios showing the episode titles for season two.

-Marc.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #186 on: December 23, 2023, 08:07:27 AM »
Oh cool, didn't know all the show titles had been released already. Yeah, some intriguing stuff for sure.

Online Adami

« Reply #187 on: December 23, 2023, 08:09:03 AM »
Oh. Cool they're doing a 1602 episode.

Hopefully they even got Neil to help with it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #188 on: December 23, 2023, 09:00:16 AM »
We watched Episode 1 last night. That was really nice! I thought it was better than any of the episodes in season 1.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #189 on: December 23, 2023, 02:56:01 PM »
Watched the first two episodes, pretty good so far.

Oh, so really different from season 1?  Interesting. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #190 on: December 23, 2023, 03:02:36 PM »
Episode 1 was good. Different. Which is welcome.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #191 on: December 23, 2023, 09:27:48 PM »
I want a Howard the Duck movie MCU style.

This is not negotiable.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #192 on: December 24, 2023, 07:24:11 PM »
I’ve liked all 3, DEFINITELY better than season 1. Also thrilled Wanda is appearing in the last 2 episodes, since I was under the impression Elizabeth was done with Marvel.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #193 on: December 26, 2023, 12:04:29 PM »
Ep 1 - Loved the very stylized take on this one. I like that we open the season with an off-Earth story and focus on characters that weren't in Phase 1. Lots of fun cameos too, but just a solid story over all, and very visually exciting.

Ep 2 - A fun one, with an interesting premise that feels very believable. Seeing stories like this one make me wish the episodes were twice as long so we could get more of these previously unseen character interactions, especially since they've got a lot of the actors who originally portrayed these characters on screen.

So far, I've greatly enjoyed both episodes so Season 2 is 2/2 for me. Looking at the episode titles for the rest of the season, there are some exciting possibilities here that I cannot wait to see!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02fhKo2xMBUjjHTPExLCanSFRkdV61LKQA2vpFrpYZmA8seiNkLEdasMuEmKkJr49Al&id=100044308275504&mibextid=Nif5oz
Facebook post from Marvel Studios showing the episode titles for season two.

-Marc.

Continuing my mini-reviews...

Ep 3 - a very fun episode with a lot more 80s movie callbacks. I think this season is littered with them. I love it when these stories focus on side-characters like Happy and Darcy and less so on main Avengers, especially when their original actors come back to do the voices! Also really loved seeing Justin Hammer again! I really liked this one a lot, and it fills in a bit of the time gap between the first two Avengers that I've always wanted to see more of, even in an alternate timeline.

Ep 4 - The Season 1 leftover. I already knew what the basic premise was but the plot unfolded quite differently than I expected! Also, Korg fans will love this one, and it's funny to see Valkyrie end up in a similar position once more. There's also the implication that Gamora and Tony defeated Thanos with the Grandmaster's melt-stick and I kind of wish we had gotten to see that. lol

Ep 5 - And speaking of season one, here's a direct sequel to the Captain Carter story. I loved the opening where we see this timeline's take on the 2012 Battle of NY, and somehow there's a Wasp present? Very cool! Then we jump forward to 2014, circa CA:TWS time frame, and maybe it's because this is a sequel and we already know these characters and their specific histories, but I really really enjoyed this one, seeing it unfold and hearing what happened to Steve and Bucky after the war was neat too.

So far season two is shaping up to be better than season one, but I really liked season one as well. Tomorrow's episode will feature a brand new character so I'm curious to see how that goes!

-Marc.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #194 on: December 26, 2023, 12:56:11 PM »
Still got the last 3 to watch, I'll probably do a mini marathon tomorrow.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #195 on: December 27, 2023, 02:06:51 PM »
I finally watched Season 2 Episode 1.  Amusing.  Something in me still prevents me from regarding these as more than just interesting speculative stories.  I know, that's the whole premise: "What If...?"  So if they're reasonably interesting and/or fun, okay, I guess that's all I'm looking for.  But the whole thing with these stories actually being canon because multiverse blah blah blah, no thanks.  I'm not fanboy enough to go all the way with that.  I'll just stick with stories that take place in Universe 616 or whatever the "real" one is.

Nebula was badass, as always, which was cool.  Korg, Yon-Rogg, even Yondu with original voice actors was cool, plus Howard.  But I always liked Nova Prime (largely because I have a thing for Glenn Close) so I didn't really like what they did to her character, but at least it was a different voice actor so it wasn't "really" her, even though it wasn't really her in the first place.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #196 on: December 27, 2023, 04:52:49 PM »
Today's episode with Kahhori was outstanding.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #197 on: December 28, 2023, 08:33:47 AM »
We are through the first 3 episodes, and have enjoyed all 3 immensely.  So far, IMO, season 2 is leaps and bounds better than season 1.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #198 on: December 28, 2023, 09:07:39 AM »
We are through the first 3 episodes, and have enjoyed all 3 immensely.  So far, IMO, season 2 is leaps and bounds better than season 1.

Haven't watched yet, but that's encouraging (even if it is an incredibly low bar to clear).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #199 on: December 28, 2023, 11:09:41 AM »
Watched S2 E1 and I really loved the Blade Runner-esque imagery and general noir stylings.

It makes me hope they finally got an engaging way of exploiting alternate scenarios.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #200 on: December 28, 2023, 01:08:40 PM »
Ep 6 - I knew this would be a divisive episode going in, knowing it would be the first MCU-original hero in this series and not one born from the comics. I liked the opening premise with Odin and Surtur, and showing how just that one change would affect the history of colonialism. Very good story and world building and I love how respectful it is to the Mohawk people. Of course I've read many complaints about people who can't read subtitles, so if you have an issue with an episode that is 95% subtitles, there is an English language version in the EXTRAS tab of the show. The ending cameo really has me intrigued though, as I wonder what fate has in store for Kahhori.

Ep 7 - This was absolutely fun in all the best ways. Once again Odin is reaping what he sowed, and Hela does a "Thor 1" mixed in with Wenwu and its amazing. I can't believe they got Cate and Idris on board as well! Really loved the animation in this one as well, especially the fight choreography.

Only two more episodes to go, which seems hard to believe, and it seems like they may continue on from previous episodes. I think if these next two stick the landing, I may like s2 way more than s1.

-Marc.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #201 on: December 29, 2023, 04:15:20 PM »
Yeah that Ep 6 was a big ????? to me. Thinking, am I supposed to know these people? If it's from The Eternals than yeah I never watched that garbage, so . . . .

But then Ep 7 . . . . aaaahhh. Hits the spot.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #202 on: December 29, 2023, 05:57:01 PM »
Never watched it, calls it garbage anyways  :rollin

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #203 on: December 29, 2023, 07:04:59 PM »
Never watched it, calls it garbage anyways  :rollin

Beat me to it.

Offline jammindude

Offline The Letter M

Re: Marvel Studios' What If...? (Disney+) - All S2 Eps now out! S3 teased!
« Reply #205 on: December 31, 2023, 12:55:26 PM »
My thoughts on the last two episodes:

Ep 8 - This is the kind of "way out there" stuff I love about the What If concept, and I really liked learning the "twist" of how that timeline came to be. Loved seeing all the alternate 1602 versions of the MCU characters, and I'm sure a lot of Loki and Wanda fans were excited to see them in this one.

Ep 9 - It's been over a day since I've seen it and I'm kind of mixed on the finale. It was a bit of a mess plot wise, and I'm not sure I really get Strange's sudden change here, or at least it felt sudden. I liked all of the blink-and-you'll-miss cameos in his Sanctum, and the action was fun, but it felt very MCU-Finale syndrome in not the best ways. It was completely awful but the finale to S1 was better IMO. Either way, it didn't ruin the season for me at least.

Over-all, season two was highly enjoyable and did a good job spotlighting some characters that haven't had a lot of focus in the previous season, or really in the main MCU films and shows.

And if no one saw, Marvel put out a teaser for s3 featuring Bucky and Red Guardian on a road trip through America.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=vaXXgq-e-yw&si=XB9iF0STRO0ZRdvY

-Marc.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #206 on: December 31, 2023, 08:10:40 PM »
Nice try, but it has been widely panned as garbage so I’m not wasting my time.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #207 on: December 31, 2023, 08:28:21 PM »

They said that about Captain Marvel and that was a really good movie. I’ve enjoyed MANY things in the MCU that were called “garbage” by most. And the one movie I actually think is garbage (Thor L&T) was viewed as lukewarm by many.

As for The Eternals. I will concede that it is a lower tier film. But I would say more that it just didn’t stick the landing. The characters were all pretty good and the performances were really good as well. I think it was worth the introduction of the characters and establishing their relevance, but it could have been so much better.

And maybe that was the problem. My expectations were high. Because everyone raved on and on and on about what a dumpster fire The Inhumans TV show was. So I put it on D+ expecting to see the MCU version of “Plan 9 From Outer Space”, and I ended up really liking it.  Heck, it was better that some non-MCU Marvel movies (the last F4 attempt for example)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #208 on: December 31, 2023, 10:38:43 PM »
I got about 2 episodes into the Inhumans before tapping out.

I actually enjoyed a lot of what was in Eternals, it was just such a mess as a cohesive whole.   

Ep6 of this season was outstanding, just love the new character and the animation's color schemes were so frikkin cool.

I'll finish the show tomorrow.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #209 on: January 01, 2024, 01:23:01 AM »
k

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.