Author Topic: Marvel Studios' What If...? (Disney+) - All S2 Eps now out! S3 teased!  (Read 15658 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Marvel Studios' What If...? (Disney+) - Episode 5 (September 8th)
« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2021, 08:47:38 AM »
Not knowing the answer to something does not make it a plot hole.

If no one knows the answer, then in my mind, yes... it does (especially for the audience)

Whatever is going on subjectively in your mind has zero to do with it.  A plot hole is "an inconsistency in the narrative or character development of a book, film, television show, etc."  Something being unanswered, or the audience's failure to divine the correct answer, do not fit that definition. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2021, 10:59:44 AM »
Different strokes (or definitions) for different folks.  Wiki calls it "a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot".  To me, there is no logic in him going to Wakanda.

Either way, the episode didn't establish a logical reason for him to be there.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2021, 01:01:36 PM »
Different strokes (or definitions) for different folks.  Wiki calls it "a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot".  To me, there is no logic in him going to Wakanda.

At least not an obvious logical reason, but as I stated in my previous post, he may have deduced that survivors may have sheltered in the most technologically advanced part of the planet left, and as far as Okoye knew, Wakanda was still zombie-free, so maybe after getting the Time Stone in New York from Zombie Strange, he ventured to Wakanda for safety, only to find it was already overrun. Who knows - if they do a follow-up episode, hopefully we get even just a line of dialogue that reveals why he went there.

OR... he just shows up at the end as a shock-and-awe cliffhanger/twist.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2021, 01:24:33 PM »

But, to use your own definition, it doesn't go "against the flow of logic". You can argue there isn't a stated logical reason for it, but unless there's a logical reason against it (e.g. it should have been somewhere else) then it doesn't meet your definition.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 06:03:16 AM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2021, 07:43:23 PM »
Hey Rich ... Stadler hacked your account.  ;) :D
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jammindude

« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2021, 08:20:41 PM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin

I just watched it. Meh.

That was the least enjoyable episode so far. Some of the jokes made me laugh, and the dig on zombie tropes was mildly amusing, it just didn’t have any emotional impact at all whereas the first 4 at least had something I could sink my teeth into.

Maybe I just hate the zombie cliche.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2021, 12:13:11 AM »
I'm taking that as a compliment. :biggrin:

I be am boner inducing.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2021, 05:52:05 AM »
I'm taking that as a compliment. :biggrin:

Stadler would!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2021, 08:29:29 AM »
A new Mid-Season trailer has dropped, showing off some new tidbits!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dOx38iLreg

Of particular interest is a shot of Tony Stark doing the final Infinity snap from Endgame, Ego zapping power from his chest into Peter Quill (which indicates they'll revisit the timeline from episode 2), a horde of Ultron drones, Korg dancing with a pacifier in his mouth surrounded by what appear to be Asgardian troops, a Skrull, and Mantis, and the Grandmaster being a DJ.

Based on some Lego sets, there might be an episode based on Tony Stark being on Sakaar (where his armor transforms into a race car), so that might involve the Grandmaster.

This week's episode looks to involve Killmonger, and based on the pre-season trailer, it should be the one where he rescues Tony from being injured and captured from the beginning of Iron Man 1, so that'll be interesting to see how it plays out!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

Re: Marvel Studios' What If...? (Disney+) - Episode 6 (September 15th)
« Reply #114 on: September 15, 2021, 08:18:47 AM »
Another really good episode today! I'm not sure if it's my favorite of the six so far, but it definitely takes things into very new directions, by going back to the start of the MCU during the events of Iron Man 1, and crossing over many elements of that film and Black Panther. I feel like Michael B. Jordan did a great job as Killmonger here, and it was interesting to see him achieve so much in such a short time. I really loved the bit about him liking anime as the reason for the bold design choice for his Project Liberator drone, which also confirms that Tony knows what Gundam is (because why wouldn't he).

Also very cool to get more Chadwick Boseman, John Kani, Danai Gurira, and Angela Bassett! I think over-all, the voice acting in this episode was delivered pretty well, and Mick Wingert's Tony Stark was a great match, especially since the Tony we see here is still a bit cocky and prideful and less humble since he never went through the trauma of being captured and having to escape the Ten Rings after Yensin was killed.

I think we will also see a return to this timeline in a future episode since I'm pretty sure the mid-season trailer showed a bit of Pepper Potts with the Dora Milaje, so I'n beginning to think the last episode will wrap back around to some of the earlier episodes' cliffhangers (Captain Carter appearing in 2012, Ego meeting Peter Quill, Zombie Thanos), especially since other trailer shave shown that Strange Supreme will meet up with Captain Carter at some point.

-Marc.

-Marc.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: September 15, 2021, 06:48:26 PM »
Episode was ok.  Probably my least favorite so far.  I just didn't buy into Killmonger's plans or motivations (why build a Vibranium drone army only to destroy it?).  He's a bad mofo though, taking out 3 Avengers.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #116 on: September 15, 2021, 10:34:07 PM »
Solid episode,I'll put it in the middle of the pack. Curious to see how it plays out.

Episode was ok.  Probably my least favorite so far.  I just didn't buy into Killmonger's plans or motivations (why build a Vibranium drone army only to destroy it?).

I doubt he would've gotten to take the herb without getting the total respect of the king. By being the hero he was, he got it. It was a solid ruse for sure, though a bit far fetched like the rest of these episodes :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: September 16, 2021, 05:10:33 AM »
I doubt he would've gotten to take the herb without getting the total respect of the king. By being the hero he was, he got it. It was a solid ruse for sure, though a bit far fetched like the rest of these episodes :lol

Fair point.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #118 on: September 16, 2021, 06:40:41 AM »
Not bad.  Not my favorite, not my least favorite.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #119 on: September 16, 2021, 07:42:18 PM »
Not bad.  Not my favorite, not my least favorite.

About right.

Still think these episodes are way too rushed. It’s fun but it keeps me from being very invested in much of it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2021, 08:30:58 AM »
This episode was actually good.  My favorite so far. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #121 on: September 20, 2021, 02:41:57 PM »
Finally watched the new episode last night. I really enjoyed it. But there was one hiccup in all of this. My wife pointed out that T’Challa did not become the black panther until after his father died. Isn’t that right? Or am I forgetting something?

Online Adami

« Reply #122 on: September 20, 2021, 02:47:25 PM »
Finally watched the new episode last night. I really enjoyed it. But there was one hiccup in all of this. My wife pointed out that T’Challa did not become the black panther until after his father died. Isn’t that right? Or am I forgetting something?

It did not specify that. He didn’t become king til his dad died. But I think he became black panther when his dad was no longer physically able.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2021, 02:50:12 PM »

No, I think he likely had the power prior to that.  Remember, we saw him put on the suit and have the power immediately after his father's death, but it is unlikely that they had the ceremony and gave him the herb in that other country in between his father dying and him chasing down Cap and Bucky.  I think the implication is that he had it before then.  I don't think the king and Black Panther are necessarily the same person.  It makes sense that dad was too old, so T'Challa took on the Black Panther mantle while his dad was still alive. 

Offline The Letter M

Re: Marvel Studios' What If...? (Disney+) - Episode 7 (September 22nd)
« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2021, 09:37:25 AM »
This week's episode is definitely a riot, and the most cartoony episode of the series so far, but I don't mind that given the subject matter of the episode. There were also a LOT of easter eggs and references throughout, so I can't wait for some of those YouTube breakdowns that catch all the split-second references.

And of course, there was the requisite cliffhanger ending, and we finally get to see one more piece of the promotional art make an appearance, but I was hoping it would be more substantial than the last 10 seconds of the episode. Since it seems like we will be revisiting some or all of the previous episodes in the finale, I'm hoping this gets a big return!

Also, I think this episode features the biggest amount of returning MCU cast members to voice their characters in an episode! What a star-studded line-up, even if some of them only got a line or two.

-Marc.

Online Adami

« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2021, 09:41:00 AM »
Something I just realized about the episode where Hank kills all the Avengers.

I was struggling with.....why?.....seems so out of character. Then I realized he was wearing the Yellow Jacket suit, and had established prior that it has major negative impacts on a person's brain. Not sure if that was actually what they intended, but it helped it feel a bit less weird to me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2021, 09:54:26 AM »

I was struggling with.....why?.....seems so out of character. Then I realized he was wearing the Yellow Jacket suit, and had established prior that it has major negative impacts on a person's brain. Not sure if that was actually what they intended, but it helped it feel a bit less weird to me.

In Ant-Man (the film), I believe Hank said he had to quit using the (Ant-Man) suit because prolonged exposure to Pym Particles was taking a toll on him, probably mentally and physically. Maybe after Hope died (presumably at the hands of the Winter Soldier on that mission to Odessa), he went off the rails and donned the suit again, trying to sabotage SHIELD, and once he learned of the Avengers Initiative, planned to take down their biggest players, which included the son of Howard Stark, whom Hank wasn't very fond of to begin with.

But yeah, I think all that coupled with the slightly inferior Yellow Jacket suit (which I think Hank said had a helmet that didn't protect from the Pym Particles' effects as well as his old Ant-Man helmet) drove Hank to go insane.

-Marc.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2021, 05:55:29 PM »
Fun episode today for sure. Very campy, but fun anyway. I hope the Ultron thing gets developed more.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2021, 09:28:55 PM »

The part I struggled with is how he was everywhere at the right time.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2021, 05:31:15 AM »

The part I struggled with is how he was everywhere at the right time.

He did crack into SHILED’s systems, so he knew what they knew.

Online Adami

« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2021, 06:53:40 AM »
Fun episode. Very Looney Tunes-ish during the big fight. Nothing to write home about, but I enjoyed it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2021, 07:26:30 AM »
Fun episode. Very Looney Tunes-ish during the big fight. Nothing to write home about, but I enjoyed it.

Yeah, it was some needed levity after 3 brutal days at work. I think a dark episode like the Strange one would've fucked me up.  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2021, 07:47:55 AM »
Definitely the most "cartoonish" of the episodes thus far, but I was OK with it, given how fucking dark most of the season has been.

Predictably, my wife HATED it (second only to the zombie episode lol).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2021, 10:26:39 AM »
Interesting article discussing how there actually is someone of an intended story arc for the What If...? series, and how we might be headed toward a point where The Watcher is actually conflicted about whether to keep his oath as purely an observer, or will decide to intervene.  https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/marvels-team-reveals-season-1-150000302.html

Also, this quote at the end kind of cracked me up:

I noticed on Twitter we're getting a lot of crap for killing Tony a lot. He has become the Kenny of the What If…? universe by accident.
  :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #134 on: September 28, 2021, 07:12:14 PM »
Interesting article discussing how there actually is someone of an intended story arc for the What If...? series, and how we might be headed toward a point where The Watcher is actually conflicted about whether to keep his oath as purely an observer, or will decide to intervene.  https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/marvels-team-reveals-season-1-150000302.html

Also, this quote at the end kind of cracked me up:

I noticed on Twitter we're getting a lot of crap for killing Tony a lot. He has become the Kenny of the What If…? universe by accident.
  :lol

Thanks for sharing that! I did find this part most intriguing:

Season 1 was originally meant to be 10 episodes, but because of the COVID-19 pandemic one of those episodes had to be pushed to season 2, and Bradley says the delayed episode helped balance the other, darker stories. "Our 10th episode was a more light, upbeat Tony Stark episode," she says.

Based on a Lego toy that came out a couple months ago, I wonder if this is the "What If... Tony Stark was stranded on Sakaar?" episode. The Lego set featured a Hulkbuster-sized armor that could convert into a dragster race car, but it was multicolored and had a bit of Sakaarian junkyard feel to it. I wonder if that story somehow connects to the Ultron one we are getting tomorrow?

-Marc.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #135 on: September 29, 2021, 05:48:13 AM »
I finally caught up to all the episodes, I was five episodes behind. The zombie one was fantastic and could easily be a spinoff on its own. The Thor one was hilarious and I loved every minute of it. The latest episode (ep 8) was amazing too, I can see how it may play a role in the coming phase 4 and that looks super interesting.

Oddly enough these last few episodes of What If? have re-ignited my Marvel fandom and now may need to rewatch all movies again. Maybe even the new shows.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Letter M

Re: Marvel Studios' What If...? (Disney+) - Episode 8 (September 29th)
« Reply #136 on: September 29, 2021, 11:01:56 AM »
Today's episode was easily one of the best of the series so far. Ross Marquand does an exceptional job of capturing Ultron's vibe, and seeing him succeed and finally give the MCU its proper AGE of Ultron is satisfying. The parallels to specific MCU moments are pretty fun, even the heartbreaking one between Nat and Clint, who has some fun film references in this episode

The fight between the Watcher and Ultron is also an episode highlight and I also wish it was just a bit longer but I'm happy with what we got. It was humbling to see Uatu finally admit he needed help, and of course this builds up to the teased Guardians Of The Multiverse with Captain Carter, T'Challa Starlord, Party Thor and others. I hope next week's episode is the longest of the season!

-Marc.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #137 on: September 29, 2021, 11:39:47 AM »
Won't be able to watch till later tonight, just popped in to share this...

Offline jammindude

« Reply #138 on: September 29, 2021, 12:06:56 PM »
 :rollin

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #139 on: September 29, 2021, 02:09:13 PM »
Today's episode was easily one of the best of the series so far. Ross Marquand does an exceptional job of capturing Ultron's vibe, and seeing him succeed and finally give the MCU its proper AGE of Ultron is satisfying. The parallels to specific MCU moments are pretty fun, even the heartbreaking one between Nat and Clint, who has some fun film references in this episode

The fight between the Watcher and Ultron is also an episode highlight and I also wish it was just a bit longer but I'm happy with what we got. It was humbling to see Uatu finally admit he needed help, and of course this builds up to the teased Guardians Of The Multiverse with Captain Carter, T'Challa Starlord, Party Thor and others. I hope next week's episode is the longest of the season!

-Marc.
Agreed with all this, that episode was fantastic and it's now pretty clear that this season is a little like a mini MCU phase, building up to a major threat and a team-up.

I be am boner inducing.