Author Topic: AVFTTOTW First Single - The Alien 👽- Friday the 13th! (Pre-Orders as well!)  (Read 22136 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
I don't think the drum fill will be longer.  The way Mike phrased it in his post implies that it's a 7 notes fill in 7/16, with the first 4 having that (controversial) polyrhythm thing he mentionned and the last 3 being 3 straight sixteenth notes which would fit with the 3 snare hits before the whole band come in in the snippet. So I think all there is to it.
I'm not very good at it, but I have a bit of musical theory knowledge (for drums), so now I'm understanding at least why the drum fill doesn't last longer. The time signature of the beginning of the song is what? 14/16, 18/16?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline RandalGraves

A comment Mike made on his FB:

OK then. DT FB posted a clip of the Alien. It's almost 10 minutes and has some playing insanity above and beyond the combined complexity & speed of any DT song to date. The band feels it will create an initial impact that relates the emotion of our new album. My 5th!!! Over a decade and having more fun than ever. That's what my Day of Zoom Class will be on. I will have those classes posted soon on the RK Lessons page.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Is that a tethered alien or untethered?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
What an energy they've thrown in these 30 seconds. Really looking forward. In between I pre-ordered Lost Not Forgotten Archives IV, Master of Puppets, just to still the hunger.

But, to be honest, if they teased me with 30 seconds of silence, I would be excited too. Just everything about this album raises (is that even a word?) my expectations.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Now that makes me imagine the song will have the same energy and intensity that Honor Thy Father has. I've always liked that song musically, but don't it play it often because of how personal the lyrics are, although they do have great delivery in the tone. The lyrics fit the song too, which is also why I like it.

That Mangini quote gets me more hyped if it is just as intense.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
I don't think the drum fill will be longer.  The way Mike phrased it in his post implies that it's a 7 notes fill in 7/16, with the first 4 having that (controversial) polyrhythm thing he mentionned and the last 3 being 3 straight sixteenth notes which would fit with the 3 snare hits before the whole band come in in the snippet. So I think all there is to it.
I'm not very good at it, but I have a bit of musical theory knowledge (for drums), so now I'm understanding at least why the drum fill doesn't last longer. The time signature of the beginning of the song is what? 14/16, 18/16?

Well I'm not great at analyzing, but I would think it would just be in 7/16. But there's also a bit of silence before the fill, so I don't know if that would also count. It might be easier to see it as a short pickup measure before the song really kicks in :lol

Offline Architeuthis

Sounds similar to the first song from LTE3 "Hypersonic".   Which is a good thing.  :coolio
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 01:13:11 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

OK then. DT FB posted a clip of the Alien. It's almost 10 minutes and has some playing insanity above and beyond the combined complexity & speed of any DT song to date. The band feels it will create an initial impact that relates the emotion of our new album. My 5th!!! Over a decade and having more fun than ever. That's what my Day of Zoom Class will be on. I will have those classes posted soon on the RK Lessons page.
OK, I know that doesn't mean that the song will be any good.  However, I love what this implies - that the musicians in the band (or at least MM), at this relatively late stage of their career, are still pushing themselves at their craft.  And THAT I find very exciting.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

OK, I know that doesn't mean that the song will be any good.  However, I love what this implies - that the musicians in the band (or at least MM), at this relatively late stage of their career, are still pushing themselves at their craft.  And THAT I find very exciting.

Exactly. And that’s the kind of thing that gets me pumped.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DT89

Well I'm not great at analyzing, but I would think it would just be in 7/16. But there's also a bit of silence before the fill, so I don't know if that would also count. It might be easier to see it as a short pickup measure before the song really kicks in :lol
It's 5/16, 5/16, 7/16. Here's my transcription of it: Dream Theater - The Alien (teaser) tab

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff

It's 5/16, 5/16, 7/16. Here's my transcription of it: Dream Theater - The Alien (teaser) tab

I just realized devieira was no longer talking about the drum intro and was talking about the actual riff. My bad :lol. I wouldn't have been able to answer properly anyway so thank you for the insight  :tup

Offline devieira73

Cool, thanks to both of you! It sounds like a continuous 12/16 to me. It's very difficult to me to see the difference between 5/16 + 7/16 and 12/16, but I'm the kind that has difficulty even to just counting it. ;D Man, it's really fast...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Each album has been a bit better sonically IMO. The only downside was DT12's snare sound and fairly hot master.

I think this will be the best sounding album of the MM era.

Offline rab7

Cool, thanks to both of you! It sounds like a continuous 12/16 to me. It's very difficult to me to see the difference between 5/16 + 7/16 and 12/16, but I'm the kind that has difficulty even to just counting it. ;D Man, it's really fast...

Because it's two sets of 5 and one of 7. So it'll never be exactly 12

Offline devieira73

Sorry, my bad. What I really meant to say is that sounds like 17/16 to me.

Offline rab7

Sorry, my bad. What I really meant to say is that sounds like 17/16 to me.

Ah that makes more sense. Though from a sheet music perspective, i think 5+5+7 would be easier to read

Offline gzarruk

Very interesting. Imo, one of the most relentless songs in DT catalog that would fit that complex/heavy/fast criteria would be TDEN. Lenghts are somewhat similar too. We'll see on friday :metal

Also, another interesting post by MM:

I really think the whole song has to be listened to a lot and broken down, or it will go by too fast. The complexity of some of the beats is outrageous and may not seem so at the first couple of listens because they are musical and make sense, but to actually know what is happening and then to be able to know how to practice it is and play it while hitting hard on a regular drum set up is really, really deep. At 220 BPM, that is very difficult to be moving around a kit and the polyrhythms go by way too quickly - one must be able to lead with their weak hand and foot also. So... it's a spectacle that doesn't seem like one until you try it.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dedalus

Also, another interesting post by MM:

I really think the whole song has to be listened to a lot and broken down, or it will go by too fast. The complexity of some of the beats is outrageous and may not seem so at the first couple of listens because they are musical and make sense, but to actually know what is happening and then to be able to know how to practice it is and play it while hitting hard on a regular drum set up is really, really deep. At 220 BPM, that is very difficult to be moving around a kit and the polyrhythms go by way too quickly - one must be able to lead with their weak hand and foot also. So... it's a spectacle that doesn't seem like one until you try it.

Here it is crystal clear who is the target audience of these MM comments on facebook.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Promising sample.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
DT has this tendency to start of wild but then never regaining that energy. PBD, Untethered Angel for example. I just really wish that slow down (which sounds great) isn't a sign that the song will continue like that and only surfing chorus and bridge will it take som energy back. Please let this be a wild ride up until the last note in the same crazy way that it started.

Anyway I am excited. The first singles are almost always the songs I enjoy less on the final albums. As a person who loves D/T i think Untethered Angel really feels like a boring song to start of with. This song will be better since that crazy riff from the teaser already gives me more enjoyment 😊

I think I know what you mean here and I totally agree.  Crazy intense intro but once the chorus comes, it's stripped right back and the intensity isn't there and it's just another usual DT chorus.

I hope this song can replicate a HTF, TDS, TGP kind of intensity from start to finish.  They need songs where James can add a bit if snarl and maybe less melody at times.  Especially live where he can improvise a bit more, if that makes sense.

Offline porcacultor

I'm SO GLAD they chose this as the starting track and the first single. It bodes VERY well for the rest, and I have to say – it's nice to have another drum fill opening an album. 

Offline darkshade

Cool, but I'm going to try not to listen to a single note of this album until it's released.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Cool, but I'm going to try not to listen to a single note of this album until it's released.

I normally only listen to a new song once, maybe twice.  I like the discipline sone of you guys of being able not to listen to a note, but I'm always too curious I have to hear the song at least once.

Offline BelichickFan

It has a 6 Degrees vibe to me.  As the snippet winds down I want to start moving into the vocals for "The Great Debate".

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I definitely think the sound is an upgrade over everything they have released with Mangini thus far (although The Astonishing sounded quite good for the most part), which I noticed after listening to the teaser at home on my good speakers after initially hearing it this morning on just my phone. :lol  I can't say I am excited about Mangini's about speed and complexity, but he always talks about complexity and how hard his drums parts and everything about his drumming that goes over the head of most, so I will stay positive and remain confident that the songs and melodies on this album will be there.  :tup :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
With Andy Sneap involved, the great sound should come as no surprise.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Agreed. But I think most Dream Theater albums sound pretty good anyway.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pcs90

Drums sound fantastic here. Definitely excited.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Agreed.  I think everybody except Kowtow thinks that.  Other than Awake, the only albums that sound a bit wonky are some of the live albums (Luna Park and Breaking the Fourth Wall come to mind).  But the studio album mostly all sound great. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I do agree.  I've never had an issue with the sound of any of their studio albums.  I listened to DT12 just last week and forgot how amazing and heavy this one sounded.

Offline BeatriceNB

Agreed.  I think everybody except Kowtow thinks that.  Other than Awake, the only albums that sound a bit wonky are some of the live albums (Luna Park and Breaking the Fourth Wall come to mind).  But the studio album mostly all sound great.

And there's me, who only likes how WDADU and Awake sound, and that's it

Offline jayvee3

I’ve always enjoyed the sound in general myself. ADTOE was the only one that is a bit like someone had a blanket over the speaker for me. I felt the same with the self titled until I recently downloaded the Apple lossless version. I don’t know what version I had, but the improvement was night and day, and made what I feel is a truly underrated album sound fantastic  :tup

In any case, great sounding snippet. I’ll refrain from over listening and just listen to the alien once or twice on release, in an effort to keep the new album fresh on first listen  :metal

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?

I think I agree with this as well. WDADU and Awake are the only albums I think are less than good sonically, and for Awake, it's mostly just the vocal production and the rhythm guitars in the Mirror than I'm not a fan of.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

I think ADTOE & DT12 are the only DT albums where the production hinders the album for me. WDADU is lo-fi but I think that works for what it is, & I think Awake sounds awesome.

Back on topic: I don't feel confident making a judgement on the full song, but this is one hell of a start. I'm looking forward to hearing the full song. :metal
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline erwinrafael

Sounds similar to the first song from LTE3 "Hypersonic".   Which is a good thing.  :coolio

With faster drums. :)

Will Mangini do something like the holy s**t moment in this video

https://youtu.be/AUD7VRgDFfs
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 10:45:34 PM by erwinrafael »