Author Topic: AVFTTOTW First Single - The Alien 👽- Friday the 13th! (Pre-Orders as well!)  (Read 22137 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
So while imagining where the song would go based on the snippet, I tried to remember where I heard this pattern in the intro of Jordan playing keyboard chords building up while JP, JM, and MM are slaying it. Then I heard it in the intro of Pale Blue Dot while I was washing dishes. I think I know where they're going with this!

"Who's out there to save us from ourselves?"

THE ALIEN

New meta-album cycle!

:lol

OH...Plot Twist....We did not arrive back on Earth in the Album Art saga....We arrived in an entirely different world. With Aliens and Sleeping Giants amongst it's inhabitants.  :lol

Here's my explanation... :lol

I see we are finally coming back down to Earth in the Album Covers Meta story theme I can see happening with the album covers.

Since, Black Clouds and Silver Linings, each album cover has been telling some sort of story. As the door opens, we witness a circus clown on a unicycle riding a tightrope about to snap high above the clouds as a plane passes by. Apparently he gets by okay, as we "cross the bridges in the sky" "breaking all illusions" out into space. Peering through "The Looking Glass" we see Planet Earth, beautiful and illuminating. We come across a distant future dystopian world where "People just don't have the time for music anymore, and no one seems to care." This world is ruled by a Nefarious leader who rules over The Great Northern Empire with his Noise Machines. "The savior in the square" reunites the empire while his brother succumbs to fate, along with the Rulers son. The Great Northern Empire becomes Astonishing again. We now become "Untethered Angels falling into darkness" as we descend into a world ruled by machines, as the cover indicates Machine has now ruled over man, have the NOMACS conquered the humans in The Astonishing (?)...After receiving a signal, we have acquired a connection back home. Being "Out of Reach" and so far away "At Wit's End", we navigate circling back seeing Earth as a "Pale Blue Dot", all that "Ever is and ever was" for humans lies within that single dot.

IF this is the album cover. We now arrive back on Earth, with A View From The Top Of The World.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
 :corn

Edit: Or better yet, we were gone so long that we are now The Alien.  :loser:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 08:33:06 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline erwinrafael

Friday the 13th can not come soon enough.  :lol

Offline geeeemo

.....9pm on a Thursday evening.........9pm on a Thursday evening........9pm on a Thursday evening.....

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
.....9pm on a Thursday evening.........9pm on a Thursday evening........9pm on a Thursday evening.....

....And so forth?

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
Somebody posted this pic comment from MM about the song:

So The Alien is Mangini's baby like Paralyzed.

It was Room 137 if my memory serves me well.

Offline BeatriceNB

Mangini wrote the lyrics for Room 137, and the main riff for Paralyzed

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun

Mangini wrote the lyrics for Room 137, and the main riff for Paralyzed

Guess my memory didn’t serve me well :p

Offline erwinrafael

As John Petrucci said in his tweet, "The main riff in Paralyzed actually comes from a Mike Mangini idea which I modified from his original pentatonic/blues-based version into the more modal/exotic tonality that is heard on the album."

Which is why Mangini's drum intro playing to that riff is excellent. It was his idea.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Won't listen to the single or any snippet. It'll be hard!!! lol

B.Lee

Isn't The Alien the first song on the album?

It's like you started listening to the album, and then you'll finish it in two months. So much anticipation!

That's why I won't listen to anything until album release.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline the_silent_man

Yeah I'm also going to try not to listen to this one this time, for a number of reasons.

1) It's still way too early 2 and a half months out for me, and once I listen I know I will want to return many times over the next 2 months;
2) It's one of the longer songs, which I'd rather save for the full listen;
3) It's the album opener as well.

Still going to read all the comments here and see the reaction. It's going to be tough haha!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
I ruined TEI and UA by excessive pre-album listening so I am going to try to sit this one out.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
I remember hearing the 'singles' from anticipated releases dozens of times on the radio before the album actually dropped—"Until it Sleeps' immediately comes to mind.

So, in that way, I've never shied away from listening to pre-release tracks. I like having a little familiarity with the record when I finally give it a listen, and rarely do I find myself 'sick' of the song by the time the whole thing comes out—unless it's a really weak track.

In regard to the teaser, I am very stoked with what I hear. The only thing I wish it had was a piece of JLB's vocals as I am very curious to see how much processing they've gone with this time around. I suppose I'll know soon enough ;)

Offline rab7

I ruined TEI and UA by excessive pre-album listening so I am going to try to sit this one out.

I'm the opposite. For TEI, TGOM and UA, I listened to them many many times each, but they are among my favorite songs from their respective albums.

Don't get me wrong, I am worried that it is entirely possible to get tired, but thankfully they were all songs that could stand the test of time.

Offline Peter Mc

I think it being the first song on the album (as it often seems to be with DT) it can risk being an issue as, every time you put the album on in the early days, you’ve already heard the opening track a bunch of times.  You then get impatient to get to the “new” stuff and can end up kind of resenting that song.  I suppose it’s up to is to show restraint though and not listen to it a thousand times before the album comes out.  I have got a bit better with that on recent releases from TA, LTE etc but I wasn’t a huge lover of the pre-released material so it was easier.  DT is traditionally a problem for me in terms of overplaying singles! 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I think it being the first song on the album (as it often seems to be with DT) it can risk being an issue as, every time you put the album on in the early days, you’ve already heard the opening track a bunch of times.  You then get impatient to get to the “new” stuff and can end up kind of resenting that song.  I suppose it’s up to is to show restraint though and not listen to it a thousand times before the album comes out.  I have got a bit better with that on recent releases from TA, LTE etc but I wasn’t a huge lover of the pre-released material so it was easier.  DT is traditionally a problem for me in terms of overplaying singles! 

Yeah, I hear you on that.  I often find myself subconsciously feeling exactly that way. 

And it doesn't help if that first song doesn't immediately click with you either.  To give an example, I wasn't immediately that fired up about TEI.  I thought it was okay, but wasn't really that special, and I didn't immediately like it all that much.  Normally, that wouldn't really be much of a problem, except for:  The tour started pretty soon after the album release, and I was still feeling that way about TEI.  You wanna know who felt exactly the opposite and was completely in love with the song and pretty fired up about it?  John Petrucci.  And he asked me point blank after the show (or maybe it was even after the soundcheck--I don't remember for sure) what I thought about it.  And I could see by his demeanor, his tone of voice, etc., that he was in love with the song and expected that I would be as well.  I don't remember exactly what I said, but I was squirming quite a bit and said something pretty noncommittal because, while I didn't want to be disingenuous and fawn over something I didn't yet like all that much, but I also didn't want to pour cold water on his enthusiasm either.  I think I basically said something along the lines of, "there's a lot of cool stuff going on with it, but I have to admit, I haven't really had a chance to digest it yet and give it its due."  And then I quickly changed the subject to talk about one of the songs that I really did love.  :lol  As a footnote to that story, I have since grown to like and appreciate it a lot more after having seen it performed live a couple of times and just letting it grow on me.  But back to the main point of the discussion, that can impact initial impressions of a new album as a whole when having heard the opening track a bunch before album release.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
I have to say, with DT, there are a lot of songs that did not "click" for me until I experienced the song live (sometimes it took 2-3 times seeing it live).

That happened with Barstool Warrior. Did not care for the song initially, but the live performance made me appreciate the song a lot more. I remember the exact moment during the second leg of the tour, when JM was playing the slow bass part over the piano, right before JP's solo.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I have to say, with DT, there are a lot of songs that did not "click" for me until I experienced the song live (sometimes it took 2-3 times seeing it live).

That happened with Barstool Warrior. Did not care for the song initially, but the live performance made me appreciate the song a lot more. I remember the exact moment during the second leg of the tour, when JM was playing the slow bass part over the piano, right before JP's solo.

Yeah, same with me.  What also helped me was randomly hearing it out of context of the album a couple of times, which kind of forced me to listen a bit more actively and to evaluate it on its own merits rather than as part of the album (which happened because my oldest son has it on a playlist, so I would hear it sometimes when he was playing stuff).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
Also EMP

https://www.emp-online.it/p/a-view-from-the-top-of-the-world/511341.html

There’s a 37min. documentary called Digging For A Spark - A View From Inside DTHQ

Offline The Letter M

LaserCD has pre-orders up

https://www.lasercd.com/search_results?sort_by=changed&sort_order=DESC

Sweet!

The artbook contains 2CDs with the album plus an instrumental mix.  The Blu-Ray contains the album in a 5.1 surround mix plus a 37 minute documentary.  Also included is extended artwork and liner notes.

We get a documentary!!! About time! I'm sure DT fans who aren't big on JLB will enjoy the instrumental mix as well. :lol

The box set contains: 

2LP (180g bright gold vinyl, exclusive gatefold sleeve), Limited 2CD/Blu-ray Artbook,

Zoetrope Slipmat, Beanie, Enamel Keychain, Poster,

8 x Artcards & Certificate of Authenticity in lift-off lid box

I'm kind of lukewarm on this box set. I've gotten every big box set since BC&SL, but this one doesn't feel like it's worth the $150 price tag. I dunno, maybe when actual product shots appear, I may change my mind, but I don't think this box set will sell out immediately. I do want the artbook at the very least!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What is a Zoetrope  Slipmat?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
So....   do I have to buy vinyl to get the blu-ray? 

If there's any trend in recent years that I despise more than any other, it's the bonding of the Blu-ray 5.1 mixes - which I LOVE - with vinyl - which I have almost* zero use for.

* I say "almost", because I have hung a few albums on the wall, if they have signatures and what not.

Offline rab7

This was my exact fear, and what happened with OTBOA. It is my 2nd least favorite song on that album.

I unfortunately have no self control and will always spam that first single nonstop. Fortunately for me, I never got tired of TEI, TGOM, and UA.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
As much as I love and support these guys, if the box set is the only way to get the documentary, then I guess I'm not getting the documentary.  As much as I like getting all the extras, when box sets are this expensive, that's a no-go.  And I don't care about and don't want the vinyl, so that's a deterrent as well.  I'm not complaining about the set though.  It's a cool package.  Just saying it doesn't suit my individual needs and budget.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
As much as I love and support these guys, if the box set is the only way to get the documentary, then I guess I'm not getting the documentary.  As much as I like getting all the extras, when box sets are this expensive, that's a no-go.  And I don't care about and don't want the vinyl, so that's a deterrent as well.  I'm not complaining about the set though.  It's a cool package.  Just saying it doesn't suit my individual needs and budget.

Same for me. If only boxset, no documentary for me...

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Looks like there is a 2cd/Blue ray package, so not terrible. Assuming the second disc is all isntrumental?

Edit: Answered my own question here:

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/view-top-world-2cdblu-ray-artbook-preorder

The artbook contains 2CDs with the album plus an instrumental mix.  The Blu-Ray contains the album in a 5.1 surround mix plus a 37 minute documentary.  Also included is extended artwork and liner notes
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
There will be the artbook though (CD, instrumental CD, Bluray, expanded art and liner notes) without the vinyl, so, no, the doc won't only come in the 150$ version. I guess the artbook is 50$ or what have you.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
Personally, I'm tempted to spend the extra ~$30 and get the 2CD/Blu-ray version over the regular digipak CD. The only thing holding me back is that there's no confirmation that the Blu-ray will have videos for each song; if there are videos for each song, then I'll totally get the Blu-ray version of this album.

Offline The Letter M

There will be the artbook though (CD, instrumental CD, Bluray, expanded art and liner notes) without the vinyl, so, no, the doc won't only come in the 150$ version. I guess the artbook is 50$ or what have you.

This is correct. LaserCD lists thr artbook as
2CDs with the album plus an instrumental mix.  The Blu-Ray contains the album in a 5.1 surround mix plus a 37 minute documentary.  Also included is extended artwork and liner notes.

It's selling for $45 on LaserCD, which is a decent price for what you get, which is definitely what I'm getting at least.

Personally, I'm tempted to spend the extra ~$30 and get the 2CD/Blu-ray version over the regular digipak CD. The only thing holding me back is that there's no confirmation that the Blu-ray will have videos for each song; if there are videos for each song, then I'll totally get the Blu-ray version of this album.

I think if there was a visualizer element (like with Transatlantic's The Absolute Universe, or LTE'S LTE3), it probably would have been mentioned. I think all we get on the BD 8s the 5.1 mix and the documentary.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
It'd be cool if you could at least buy the documentary at the merch stand at a live show.

Offline geeeemo

Yeah, I hear you on that.  I often find myself subconsciously feeling exactly that way. 

And it doesn't help if that first song doesn't immediately click with you either.  To give an example, I wasn't immediately that fired up about TEI.  I thought it was okay, but wasn't really that special, and I didn't immediately like it all that much.  Normally, that wouldn't really be much of a problem, except for:  The tour started pretty soon after the album release, and I was still feeling that way about TEI.  You wanna know who felt exactly the opposite and was completely in love with the song and pretty fired up about it?  John Petrucci.  And he asked me point blank after the show (or maybe it was even after the soundcheck--I don't remember for sure) what I thought about it.  And I could see by his demeanor, his tone of voice, etc., that he was in love with the song and expected that I would be as well.  I don't remember exactly what I said, but I was squirming quite a bit and said something pretty noncommittal because, while I didn't want to be disingenuous and fawn over something I didn't yet like all that much, but I also didn't want to pour cold water on his enthusiasm either.  I think I basically said something along the lines of, "there's a lot of cool stuff going on with it, but I have to admit, I haven't really had a chance to digest it yet and give it its due."  And then I quickly changed the subject to talk about one of the songs that I really did love.  :lol  As a footnote to that story, I have since grown to like and appreciate it a lot more after having seen it performed live a couple of times and just letting it grow on me.  But back to the main point of the discussion, that can impact initial impressions of a new album as a whole when having heard the opening track a bunch before album release.

First, since this is only my 2nd album release since I became a fan, I am used to learning and liking songs and not albums, as I bounced around learning and loving their discography. Last time, with my first album release, I listened as much as I could when the singles came out. Then when the album came out, I just skipped those until I kind of caught up, mixing in listening to my favorites more.  ;D.  For me, sometimes I don't love a DT song until much later - then it's almost like a new song because I will have skipped it....

Bosk along the lines of TEI, but with PBD. (and I am of no importance to JP) I did the aftershow in Reno and met JP. I asked him when they are done with an album, is there ever that one song that you say to yourself "Wow! we just nailed it! That is the bomb!" He said yes and for D/T it was PBD. Now I like PBD, but  not to that extent. Fortunately for me, he doesn't care one way or the other what I think, and I am sure I was very much excited in my response... 

Offline goo-goo

Fuck it: artbook, black vinyl and digipack for me. Ordered!  :metal Don't know why I'm more stoked for this album than DoT even though I still play it a lot.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Definitely the artbook for me.  I've been extremely impressed with the artbooks for LTE3 and Distant Memories.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Peace and Love

On the Blu-Ray: Digging For A Spark - A View From Inside DTHQ Documentary

Hell yeah! :metal