Author Topic: AVFTTOTW First Single - The Alien 👽- Friday the 13th! (Pre-Orders as well!)  (Read 22132 times)

Offline geeeemo

Sounds similar to the first song from LTE3 "Hypersonic".   Which is a good thing.  :coolio

With faster drums. :)

Will Mangini do something like the holy s**t moment in this video

https://youtu.be/AUD7VRgDFfs

Looked like he was feeling it there!...

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
Lol, Awake is my favorite sounding DT album. It sounds colorful, full-bodied, dynamic and heavy. And cheesy 90’s reverb, but that’s okay.

This new snippet indeed sounds like this album could easily be the best sounding MM era album. It has always eluded me why they have never really gotten it ‘right’ so far in the MM era. There’s always something (weak drums / bad snare / overcompressed).
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Lol, Awake is my favorite sounding DT album. It sounds colorful, full-bodied, dynamic and heavy. And cheesy 90’s reverb, but that’s okay.

This new snippet indeed sounds like this album could easily be the best sounding MM era album. It has always eluded me why they have never really gotten it ‘right’ so far in the MM era. There’s always something (weak drums / bad snare / overcompressed).

I think I agree.  I've always thought that album sounded absolutely incredible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Polarbear

I think I agree.  I've always thought that album sounded absolutely incredible.

Also agree with the bolded part! Awake indeed sounds really good!

As for the new sample, it sounds promising, but can't say more than that at this point.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I have always found Awake just perfect in its sound.  The mix is great and you can hear everything evenl,y nothing sounds cluttered or any instruments trying to outdo each other.  Everything is placed nicely and the tones on everything just sound sharp and strong.  Love JP's tone and the vocal production on James here is fabulous.

Offline JLa

Glad to see some love for Awake. I too think it sounds really good, both music- and production wise.

The music in the Alien teaser didn't click with me, but it's only 30 seconds of an entire album so I don't mind.

Offline Öxölklöfför

• Pull my finger, I'm not afraid.
Posted by Moncho Enchiburu on this FB post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/dreamtheaterworld/permalink/1054323665100705/. Hilarious.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Agreed. But I think most Dream Theater albums sound pretty good anyway.

Agreed.  I think everybody except Kowtow thinks that.  Other than Awake, the only albums that sound a bit wonky are some of the live albums (Luna Park and Breaking the Fourth Wall come to mind).  But the studio album mostly all sound great.

Nope. I like how all DT albums sound. With the exception of how hot Systematic Chaos is and the snare sound on Dream Theater.

Offline erwinrafael

What is the problem with the sound of Awake? Given that my musical awakening is in the mid-90s, I don't find any problem with it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
What is the problem with the sound of Awake? Given that my musical awakening is in the mid-90s, I don't find any problem with it.

Nothing at all.  If you crank it up on a good stereo, rather than your iPhone or computer, it sounds fantastic.  We, in fact, used to do that all the time back in the 90's at a buddy's, who had a super duper awesome system.  He was very much an audiophile and he used to marvel at how incredible Awake sounded.

That is why the sound and mix of some of the newer albums is frustrating, as we know DT is capable of making great sounding albums, yet they have gone in the opposite direction. Same thing happened with Rush on their last few albums as well.  It's almost mind-numbing.

That said, the sound of this teaser, again, does give me hope that the new album will be a vast improvement over most of the mixes we have gotten in the Mangini era.  :tup :tup

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
I have always found Awake just perfect in its sound.  The mix is great and you can hear everything evenl,y nothing sounds cluttered or any instruments trying to outdo each other.  Everything is placed nicely and the tones on everything just sound sharp and strong.  Love JP's tone and the vocal production on James here is fabulous.
Perfect description! I also love Awake's sound!
I think that DT has overall very good sounding albums with very different production styles, I guess because they resonate a bit with the trends of the times they were made. Yes, there's some occasional true flaws, like WDADU and the drums sound on I&W, ADTOE and DT12, but it's forgivable if we consider the extension of their discography. I've heard this week D/T and, although being a more wall of sound/modern kind of production, I think it is one of their best sounding albums. It has a nice puch and distintion between all the instruments.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline dream416

• Carpe Diem
This sounds awesome!!!!!! Bring it on!!!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

Agreed.  I think everybody except Kowtow thinks that.  Other than Awake, the only albums that sound a bit wonky are some of the live albums (Luna Park and Breaking the Fourth Wall come to mind).  But the studio album mostly all sound great.

And there's me, who only likes how WDADU and Awake sound, and that's it
Well, there had to be someone.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
What is the problem with the sound of Awake?

I didn't say it was a problem.  I just said that it sounded very different.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline erwinrafael

What is the problem with the sound of Awake?

I didn't say it was a problem.  I just said that it sounded very different.

Wonky

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
I can't say I am excited about Mangini's about speed and complexity,... I will stay positive and remain confident that the songs and melodies on this album will be there.  :tup :tup

Is this the new meta now where we come to a Dream Theater forum and talk about how the technicality of the music is a bummer? Yes I understand we don't want to go back to the era where the instrumental sections were twice as long as they needed to be and had nothing to do with the song's story, but this is like listening to people talk about how they read Playboy for the articles.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I can't say I am excited about Mangini's about speed and complexity,... I will stay positive and remain confident that the songs and melodies on this album will be there.  :tup :tup

Is this the new meta now where we come to a Dream Theater forum and talk about how the technicality of the music is a bummer? Yes I understand we don't want to go back to the era where the instrumental sections were twice as long as they needed to be and had nothing to do with the song's story, but this is like listening to people talk about how they read Playboy for the articles.

I'm not Kev, but I get where he's coming from; it's a reaction.  Didn't we get three pages of "it's my opinion, I'm psyched, so leave me alone"?  Why can't someone NOT be psyched?  Are we now telling people what they should feel?

And if all that isn't accurate, so be it; at the very least, "not excited" is not the same thing as "bummed".  I'm not excited about his complexity either, because that's not what I look for in music.  That doesn't mean that I'm not excited for the work, or not looking forward to it. I'm just looking forward to other things than some here.   Like Kev, I look for songs and melodies. 

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Won't listen to the single or any snippet. It'll be hard!!! lol

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Won't listen to the single or any snippet. It'll be hard!!! lol

B.Lee

Isn't The Alien the first song on the album?

It's like you started listening to the album, and then you'll finish it in two months. So much anticipation!
Over and over again

Offline rab7

I'm not Kev, but I get where he's coming from; it's a reaction.  Didn't we get three pages of "it's my opinion, I'm psyched, so leave me alone"?  Why can't someone NOT be psyched?  Are we now telling people what they should feel?

And if all that isn't accurate, so be it; at the very least, "not excited" is not the same thing as "bummed".  I'm not excited about his complexity either, because that's not what I look for in music.  That doesn't mean that I'm not excited for the work, or not looking forward to it. I'm just looking forward to other things than some here.   Like Kev, I look for songs and melodies.

From my experience, "not excited" has 90% of the time meant "I do not like". Yes i know the literal meaning of the words tend to neutrality, but it's idiomatic at this point, like how the phrase "more often than not" means "a lot"

Offline gzarruk

Somebody posted this pic comment from MM about the song:

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain

[snipped out photo]

Please inject this straight into my veins
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Well said, and back to Reap's post, I never said the technicality of the music was a bummer.  Like you, I am more about songs and melodies.  If someone is in it just for the playing, great, but I need more than that.  It would just be nice to see comments from the band where they talk about the songs or the melodies, rather a steady stream of talking about how hard this is to play or how intricate that is or how HEAVY the other is.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain

Well said, and back to Reap's post, I never said the technicality of the music was a bummer.  Like you, I am more about songs and melodies.  If someone is in it just for the playing, great, but I need more than that.  It would just be nice to see comments from the band where they talk about the songs or the melodies, rather a steady stream of talking about how hard this is to play or how intricate that is or how HEAVY the other is.

disgustingly reasonable take

Posted by Moncho Enchiburu on this FB post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/dreamtheaterworld/permalink/1054323665100705/. Hilarious.

god tier
Over and over again

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni

I hope DT will get to know about this and use it someway during the tour.
It's just too good.

Offline Architeuthis

DT PHONE HOME!!!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power

Not familiar with the term "wonky", but at any rate those live albums sound pretty good to me for being live.  There's always going to be different dynamics live compared to studio.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
   DT PHONE HOME!!!

This E.T., it calls to me

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline octobuss

Man, I am digging this drum sound. It just sounds super developed. Not rushed into tracking IMO. Very thought out parts, all gelling very nicely!

Offline jayvee3

I’m sure that will come. But at this stage we’ve heard 30 seconds of a 9+ minute song. It seems pretty obvious that MM is discussing more technicality for the drummers that visit his page, other than that, there have been a couple of one liners from JM and the ‘badass’ comment that got way too much grief  ;D So I think like most album cycles, with everything still a couple of months away, all the meat and potatoes discussion/interviews will come in time.

I also know that with DT, heavy, technical, melodic and everything in between features on all their works, even the albums I listen to the least. My favourite part in ANTR is the “beautiful agony” section, and that’s after starting particularly frantic. Peruvian Skies ends nothing like how it starts and is brilliant. So I guess I’m just saying there’s no doubt going to be a bit of everything on the album - pretty much like there always is  :tup

Offline erwinrafael

So The Alien is Mangini's baby like Paralyzed.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
#writingcredit
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline erwinrafael

So while imagining where the song would go based on the snippet, I tried to remember where I heard this pattern in the intro of Jordan playing keyboard chords building up while JP, JM, and MM are slaying it. Then I heard it in the intro of Pale Blue Dot while I was washing dishes. I think I know where they're going with this!

"Who's out there to save us from ourselves?"

THE ALIEN

New meta-album cycle!

:lol