Author Topic: Songs with favorite endings/outros?  (Read 4100 times)

Offline Peter Mc

Re: Songs with favorite endings/outros?
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2021, 06:55:12 AM »
The two that immediately spring to mind for me are:

Learning To Live by DT
Eyes of a Stranger by Queensryche

Offline dparrott

« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2021, 11:27:32 AM »
Dream Theater - A New Beginning.

oh yea definitely
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2021, 01:08:16 PM »
In the annals of great DT endings, it is hard to top Learning to Live, Metropolis, Scarred or A Change of Seasons

I the the ending/outro of LTL on I&W is kinda meh.  Just four bars repeated with a fade out.  The live version they did in the '90s (this is definitely on the 3/4/93 NYC show, and I think it's also on LSFNY), with each instrument taking a solo and then reprising the odd time bit from the middle of the song as the ending, is amazing.

My favorite version of the LTL ending is on Once in a LiveTime when they transition directly into The Crimson Sunset. That’s two great DT ending rolled into one.

I couldn't even guess how long it's been since I listed to OIAL.  Easily DT's worst live album.  But I'll give it a listen later today and see.

I didn't see Fight The Good Fight by Triumph.

I thought about it when I posted back on page 1, but I went with Hot Time in the City Tonight because FTGF has a fade-out.  The live version's outro slays, but I've never liked how (or understood why) they truncated the chorus after the guitar solo.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2021, 07:09:48 PM »
please, completely agree with their live version on FTGF except on The Sport Of Kings tour.  They had a backup keyboardist/guitarist and if memory serves me correctly,  they played it closer to the studio able that tour.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2021, 07:45:31 PM »
A lot of good ones have been posted so far. I don't know if it's my absolute favorite, but I must raise New Millennium Cyanide Christ by Meshuggah. That riff is SO :metal FUCKING :metal GOOD :metal

Also one of the rare times when a fadeout works perfectly.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2021, 03:59:19 AM »
Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
Dream Theater - Octavarium
Frost* - Milliontown
Spock's Beard - Waiting for Me
Southern Empire - Cries for the Lonely
The Flower Kings - Stardust We Are
Dream Theater - The Great Debate

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2021, 04:48:26 AM »
Opeth - In The Mist She Was Standing
Helloween - The Dark Ride
King Crimson - Starless
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Storm
Porcupine Tree - Anesthetise
TesseracT - Of Energy (Embers)
Caligula's Horse - Marigold
The Dear Hunter - Ouroboros
Muse - Knights Of Cydonia
Linkin Park - The Catalyst
Sigur Rós - Untitled #8 (Popplagith)
& of course: Dream Theater - Learning To Live

Edit: Oh, & how could I forget
Yes - The Gates Of Delirium
Haken - The Architect
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 04:55:21 AM by IDontNotDoThings »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2021, 06:17:37 AM »
So many of my favourite bands do big endings. There's lots of great DT songs with big endings, but the Razor's Edge ending of Octavarium has to be the best of the lot - it's so uplifting. Marillion also do the big endings, This Strange Engine is their finest, but The Great Escape comes close.

No one writes an end section like Neal Morse. Healing Colors of Sound/My Shoes Revisited is probably the best of his Spock's Beard endings, and Stranger in Your Soul the best of his Transatlantic stuff.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2021, 07:07:46 AM »
So many of my favourite bands do big endings. There's lots of great DT songs with big endings, but the Razor's Edge ending of Octavarium has to be the best of the lot - it's so uplifting. Marillion also do the big endings, This Strange Engine is their finest, but The Great Escape comes close.

No one writes an end section like Neal Morse. Healing Colors of Sound/My Shoes Revisited is probably the best of his Spock's Beard endings, and Stranger in Your Soul the best of his Transatlantic stuff.

I almost listed "Neal Morse" as an answer.  :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2021, 09:43:43 AM »
please, completely agree with their live version on FTGF except on The Sport Of Kings tour.  They had a backup keyboardist/guitarist and if memory serves me correctly,  they played it closer to the studio able that tour.

TSOK was the only tour on which I saw Triumph.  I don't recall if they played the full final chorus on FTGF, but yeah, they had Rick Santers to fill out the sound, and it made a BIG difference
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline 425

« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2021, 11:17:12 AM »

The Door
The Conflict
Dancing with Eternal Glory/Whirlwind (Reprise)
The Call
Alive Again
A Love That Never Dies
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2021, 11:38:01 AM »

The Door
The Conflict
The Call
Alive Again
A Love That Never Dies

Alive Again.  My FAVORITE Neal epic.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2021, 11:46:54 AM »
I'm a bit surprised at you Stadler. I listed an outro that I thought for sure would catch your eye. You either missed it or don't agree.. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2021, 12:15:41 PM »
Some more endings to add:

Spock's Beard - Flow
Steven Wilson - Ancestral, The Raven That Refused to Sing
Winger - Headed for a Heartbreak

I'm not joking about the last one at all.  Winger performed that song for us at a work meeting, and watching Reb Beach and Rod Morgenstein go off was surprisingly cool.   Mind you, I work with a bunch of skeptical, "so you think you're all that" types that have a high bar to clear in terms of being impressed, and two of my guitarist buddies were both like, "I didn't know they could do that." 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline HOF

« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2021, 01:57:47 PM »

Spock's Beard - Flow

I'm not joking about the last one at all.  Winger performed that song for us at a work meeting, and watching Reb Beach and Rod Morgenstein go off was surprisingly cool.   Mind you, I work with a bunch of skeptical, "so you think you're all that" types that have a high bar to clear in terms of being impressed, and two of my guitarist buddies were both like, "I didn't know they could do that."

Flow and Headed for a Heartbreak were both on my list as well. Rainbow in the Rose is another cool outro from Winger (I also almost listed Seventeen).

This is a great performance of Headed for a Heartbreak by Kip with Cenk Eroglu:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b3SMPdWFgfI
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 02:03:20 PM by HOF »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2021, 02:38:56 PM »
Stop it guys! I'm gonna call Bosk.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2021, 02:56:20 PM »

Spock's Beard - Flow

Flow and Headed for a Heartbreak were both on my list as well. Rainbow in the Rose is another cool outro from Winger (I also almost listed Seventeen).

This is a great performance of Headed for a Heartbreak by Kip with Cenk Eroglu:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b3SMPdWFgfI

They also played Rainbow in the Rose for that meeting, and they stretched that ending out to let Rod solo a bit. Someone requested that song.  Was pleasantly surprised.  Didn't know there were so many closet Winger fans at Sweetwater!  ;D
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2021, 02:59:12 PM »
Yes - Endless Dream
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2021, 03:09:33 PM »

They also played Rainbow in the Rose

Rainbow In The Rose won the Winger Round of the first TAC Roulette.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2021, 06:04:00 PM »
Stop it guys! I'm gonna call Bosk.

Daddy!  They were mean.  They said I liked Winger.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2021, 11:03:38 AM »

Spock's Beard - Flow

HAHA, I read "They performed that song for us at a work meeting" and had to look twice at who posted it.  :) :) :). Envy! 

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2021, 11:15:00 AM »

The Door
The Conflict
The Call
Alive Again
A Love That Never Dies

Those were the 2 I was going to mention, along with the 'Long Day (Reprise)' beginning at 5:49 at the end of the Similitude album. Agreed with others that Neal Morse knows how to write a climactic ending to a song.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2021, 01:23:28 PM »

Spock's Beard - Flow

HAHA, I read "They performed that song for us at a work meeting" and had to look twice at who posted it.  :) :) :). Envy!

;D :coolio

One of the best perks of the job, for sure! 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2021, 01:24:26 PM »
Sounds like it was some sort of awful initiation meeting.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2021, 01:32:37 PM »
I’ve always loved Yngwie’s outdo solo on Alcatrazz’s Suffer Me. Yngwie doing feels. It’s glorious.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2021, 01:35:40 PM »
Not how I normally judge songs.

Two from DT come to mind: Only A Matter of Time and Hell's Kitchen.

Also, Crystallised by Haken.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2021, 01:43:01 PM »

In my 11 years here, we have had a few of those.  But they've been balanced out by some pretty amazing ones as well.  Paul Gilbert has stopped by a few times.  John Petrucci came out right before the release of DT12 when we brought on Music Man Guitars to talk about his signature guitars.  I don't want to get into a huge name dropping thing and derail the thread, but it's been pretty cool to have the number of "big name" people come out to demo new gear for us.

Offline HOF

« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2021, 10:12:19 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2021, 12:15:22 AM »

In my 11 years here, we have had a few of those.  But they've been balanced out by some pretty amazing ones as well.  Paul Gilbert has stopped by a few times.  John Petrucci came out right before the release of DT12 when we brought on Music Man Guitars to talk about his signature guitars.  I don't want to get into a huge name dropping thing and derail the thread, but it's been pretty cool to have the number of "big name" people come out to demo new gear for us.

Jesus, where do you work exactly?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jvelvet3

« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2021, 09:17:09 PM »
Dream Theater - Finally Free, Octavarium
Smashing Pumpkins - Hummer, Geek USA, Thru the Eyes of Ruby, La Dolly Vita
Guns N'Roses - Locomotive
Joe Satriani - Clouds Race Across the Sky
Michael Jackson - Give in to Me, Thriller

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2021, 02:09:13 PM »
Guns N'Roses - Locomotive

That's a good call.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2021, 02:30:02 PM »
This Day & Age - More of a Climb, Less of a Walk.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2021, 07:15:44 AM »
Sufjan Stevens - Blue Bucket of Gold
This one is amazing, and the live version gives me chills.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2021, 04:08:39 PM »

Jesus, where do you work exactly?

I’m a Senior Sales Engineer at Sweetwater Sound.  www.Sweetwater.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #104 on: August 27, 2021, 04:14:16 PM »
I've watched the videos of Anthrax at Sweetwater.