Author Topic: Songs with favorite endings/outros?  (Read 4095 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Songs with favorite endings/outros?
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2021, 07:09:27 AM »
For long and great guitar solos at the end of the song, I'll add Dire Straits

Telegraph Road
Tunnel Of Love
Brothers In Arms
Sultans Of Swing

I love the ending to Skateaway.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2021, 07:42:15 AM »
For long and great guitar solos at the end of the song, I'll add Dire Straits

Telegraph Road
Tunnel Of Love
Brothers In Arms
Sultans Of Swing

Good call!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2021, 07:47:59 AM »
Thought of another good one:

Tom Petty - It’s Good to be King.

Yes. I love this outro.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2021, 10:47:03 AM »
Metallica - The Outlaw Torn
Pantera - Domination
Iced Earth - Dante's Inferno
Megadeth - Rust in Peace...Polaris  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2021, 10:55:17 AM »
Only in Dreams by Weezer is excellent.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2021, 11:19:30 AM »
Can't believe I'm the first to say this, but the last 1.5 minutes of The Mirror/Lie! I don't think anything in DT's catalog can top that outdo/ending!

What does this mean?  Isn't the last 1.5 minutes of The Mirror/Lie simply the last 1.5 minutes of Lie?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline HOF

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2021, 11:36:32 AM »
Can't believe I'm the first to say this, but the last 1.5 minutes of The Mirror/Lie! I don't think anything in DT's catalog can top that outdo/ending!

What does this mean?  Isn't the last 1.5 minutes of The Mirror/Lie simply the last 1.5 minutes of Lie?

I’m assuming he’s referring to how the ending of Lie reprises the opening riff and middle section from The Mirror before the closing solo. That is a pretty awesome outro.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2021, 12:29:43 PM »
UFO

Long Gone -outro leading into:
The Wild the Willing and the Innocent -intro and outro leading into:
It’s Killing Me -intro

"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2021, 12:37:25 PM »
UFO

It’s Killing Me -intro

YES!!

I think Michael Schenker is an absolute Outro Master, especially in MSG, but Paul Chapman had some great outros, especially when paired with Neil Carter.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2021, 12:42:52 PM »
UFO

It’s Killing Me -intro

YES!!

I think Michael Schenker is an absolute Outro Master, especially in MSG, but Paul Chapman had some great outros, especially when paired with Neil Carter.
The outro solo to Lights Out on SitN is pretty much as good as it gets.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2021, 12:54:03 PM »
Megadeth - Rust in Peace...Polaris  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal
Overrated song from an overrated album, but as far as outros go that is a fine one.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2021, 01:15:53 PM »
UFO

It’s Killing Me -intro

YES!!

While I did follow the UFO discog discussion, I do remember the songs I enjoyed the most usually had a killer outro.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline dparrott

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2021, 02:05:18 PM »
Intro:
DT- ITPOE 1
Pantera - Great Southern Trendkill

Outro:
DT - Fatal Tragedy
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 09:44:44 AM by dparrott »
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online nick_z

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2021, 02:33:28 PM »
Many excellent outros so far...here's one that I don't think I've seen yet

U2 - With or without you

The reprise at the end with The Edge's guitar(s) and the bassline underneath gives me goosebumps every. single. time, no matter how many times I've heard it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2021, 02:39:56 PM »
Many excellent outros so far...here's one that I don't think I've seen yet

U2 - With or without you

The reprise at the end with The Edge's guitar(s) and the bassline underneath gives me goosebumps every. single. time, no matter how many times I've heard it.

I always loved the title track, The Unforgettable Fire's outro.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2021, 02:59:45 PM »
Floods by Pantera springs to mind

One of my favorites and as other have mentioned Telegraph Road is fantastic.

I'll toss "The Canyon Behind Her" by dredg in the mix, such a fantastic climax and outro not only to the song but to the album as well.

Online nick_z

« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2021, 03:11:35 PM »
Floods by Pantera springs to mind

One of my favorites and as other have mentioned Telegraph Road is fantastic.

I'll toss "The Canyon Behind Her" by dredg in the mix, such a fantastic climax and outro not only to the song but to the album as well.

Oh, yes, that's a great one. And I would agree with Floods as well. Pretty unique.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2021, 03:15:31 PM »
Toto has some good outros, mainly Rosanna but also I'll Supply The Love and Never Enough.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2021, 03:22:47 PM »
UFO

It’s Killing Me -intro

YES!!

The outro solo to Lights Out on SitN is pretty much as good as it gets.

Oh definitely, and while where talking Strangers, the Love To Love outro is amazing as well.

Other Schenker UFO outros I love..

Dreaming Of Summer (quirky as hell but fits the song perfectly)
Martian Landscape
Pack It Up (And Go)
One More For The Rodeo

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2021, 03:25:21 PM »
Toto has some good outros, mainly Rosanna but also I'll Supply The Love and Never Enough.

Home of the Brave.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2021, 03:36:47 PM »

I’m assuming he’s referring to how the ending of Lie reprises the opening riff and middle section from The Mirror before the closing solo. That is a pretty awesome outro.

Maybe.  Lie is pedestrian at best, but it's better than The Mirror (one of only handful of DT songs I actively dislike).  The end of Lie is probably the worst part (shredding for shredding's sake doesn't do anything for me).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2021, 03:43:53 PM »
I will take the ending of The Mirror over the ending of Lie.  The ending of The Mirror showed DT's ability to have a killer ending without feeling the need to solo or overplay (which is why it's not nearly as good now when played live since Rudess throws a wanky solo in it, which feels totally unnecessary), but the ending of Lie, which reprises The Mirror, is pretty great as well.

In the annals of great DT endings, it is hard to top Learning to Live, Metropolis, Scarred or A Change of Seasons, but The Mirror ending (of the proper Mirror song, not the reprise in Lie) would be in the next tier for me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2021, 06:22:24 PM »
I will take the ending of The Mirror over the ending of Lie.  The ending of The Mirror showed DT's ability to have a killer ending without feeling the need to solo or overplay (which is why it's not nearly as good now when played live since Rudess throws a wanky solo in it, which feels totally unnecessary), but the ending of Lie, which reprises The Mirror, is pretty great as well.

In the annals of great DT endings, it is hard to top Learning to Live, Metropolis, Scarred or A Change of Seasons, but The Mirror ending (of the proper Mirror song, not the reprise in Lie) would be in the next tier for me.

This makes no sense to me. The Mirror doesn’t really have an outro at all. If you put the The Mirror as a stand-alone, it just cuts off awkwardly.

EDIT - in fact, for this reason, I have a homemade splice that I put together with Audacity that essentially re-creates a studio version of the LSFNY version of The Mirror with its proper outro and omits Lie altogether. It’s about 8 1/2 minutes long and it’s perfect.

I love The Mirror…Lie is the only album from Awake I actively don’t like.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2021, 07:35:54 PM »

This makes no sense to me. The Mirror doesn’t really have an outro at all. If you put the The Mirror as a stand-alone, it just cuts off awkwardly.

EDIT - in fact, for this reason, I have a homemade splice that I put together with Audacity that essentially re-creates a studio version of the LSFNY version of The Mirror with its proper outro and omits Lie altogether. It’s about 8 1/2 minutes long and it’s perfect.

I love The Mirror…Lie is the only album from Awake I actively don’t like.

Note that I referred to it as the ending of The Mirror (not an outro), and of course it has an ending.  Every song has a beginning and an end, even if it is connected to songs before and/or after it.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2021, 09:52:17 AM »
Finally Free with all of those drum fills!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2021, 10:45:09 AM »
My favorite type of Outro's are those that gradually build into a big climax.

This is a big reason why I prefer the Live Scenes version of Finally Free that adds the extended ending. It makes the ending riff build and build and then gets released with that reprise of One Last Time. Those Tubular Bells add a lot to that section as well.

The live versions of Pink Floyds High Hopes. This surpasses Comfortably Numb for me. This also has to do the with lyrics which, for me, makes that ending impact harder.

One more I can think of right now is Ayreon Day 20: Confrontation. It's fantastic how it just builds and at the end you get all his emotions leaving the stage as "ME" fully awakens belting out "I'm Alive, and I won't look back." Then we get the true purpose of the album.   :biggrin:

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pg1067

« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2021, 02:11:05 PM »
In the annals of great DT endings, it is hard to top Learning to Live, Metropolis, Scarred or A Change of Seasons

I the the ending/outro of LTL on I&W is kinda meh.  Just four bars repeated with a fade out.  The live version they did in the '90s (this is definitely on the 3/4/93 NYC show, and I think it's also on LSFNY), with each instrument taking a solo and then reprising the odd time bit from the middle of the song as the ending, is amazing.

Offline HOF

« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2021, 02:22:08 PM »
In the annals of great DT endings, it is hard to top Learning to Live, Metropolis, Scarred or A Change of Seasons

I the the ending/outro of LTL on I&W is kinda meh.  Just four bars repeated with a fade out.  The live version they did in the '90s (this is definitely on the 3/4/93 NYC show, and I think it's also on LSFNY), with each instrument taking a solo and then reprising the odd time bit from the middle of the song as the ending, is amazing.

My favorite version of the LTL ending is on Once in a LiveTime when they transition directly into The Crimson Sunset. That’s two great DT ending rolled into one.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2021, 02:26:12 PM »
Dream Theater - A New Beginning.

They could rename that song and call it "A New Beginning With A Killer Ending".
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2021, 02:44:52 PM »
Iron maiden- outro to The Prophecy. LOVE it

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2021, 06:42:45 PM »

My favorite version of the LTL ending is on Once in a LiveTime when they transition directly into The Crimson Sunset. That’s two great DT ending rolled into one.

I will always prefer the studio version, as none of the live versions ever have the vocal harmonies, but that Once... version is pretty sweet, since the crowd does the harmonies. That moment where James holds out the mic to the crowd and you hear that brief clip of the crowd singing wash over the band as they transition into the ACOS finale is a bad ass moment.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2021, 06:50:11 PM »
My favorite type of Outro's are those that gradually build into a big climax.

This is a big reason why I prefer the Live Scenes version of Finally Free that adds the extended ending. It makes the ending riff build and build and then gets released with that reprise of One Last Time. Those Tubular Bells add a lot to that section as well.

The live versions of Pink Floyds High Hopes. This surpasses Comfortably Numb for me. This also has to do the with lyrics which, for me, makes that ending impact harder.

Completely agree with you on Finally Free and High Hopes. Great picks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2021, 07:19:47 PM »
I didn't see Fight The Good Fight by Triumph. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2021, 05:11:39 AM »
I didn't see Fight The Good Fight by Triumph.
Such a great song that I could never get bored of..  :hat
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline romdrums

« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2021, 06:47:36 AM »
Some of my favorites:

Marillion - King, This Strange Engine, The Great Escape, The Space
Genesis - Supper's Ready, The Cinema Show
Yes - Siberian Khatru, The Gates of Delirium, And You And I
Queensryche - One and Only
sleepmakeswaves - Hailstones
Karnivool - Goliath, Deadman
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.