Author Topic: MIKE MANGINI TALKS ABOUT UPCOMING ALBUM  (Read 6273 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
MIKE MANGINI TALKS ABOUT UPCOMING ALBUM
« on: August 05, 2021, 10:16:32 AM »
FROM HIS FB ACCOUNT:

The Album begins with a drum fill that sounds like something obvious but is not. It's too fast to pick up the slight anomaly of being 3:2 of 7 that fits over 4 of the main 7 notes with 3 of the real 7/16 notes left for the end of the fill. See what I mean? But I can teach it by SHAPE and Feel without calculating it- that's how I came up with it. Shape and Feel. I'm glad I gained the knowledge and pattern recognition to know what it is though so I can explain it. I'll soon be making Master Classes on this and our 1st Song release, as well Private Slots for Zoom.
Other drum parts of the album, especially AVFTTOTW, have parts you have to "know" or there's no way to play them. ie. one drum part is a very long odd time and the entire kit (and kick sound) is played entirely with my hands while my feet are playing a different type of instrument sound in a completely different time signature.
Since this IS Dream Theater, I think fans are entertained by this kind of thing, but also need the simple groove playing and melodies to be able to take a mental break here and there. Not only did JP & JR smoke those melodies while JM and I held the Fort down, but LaBrie utterly slaughtered and nailed them throughout the album that I'm sitting back almost giggling in a lawn chair with a drink waiting for the album as a whole to be heard and evaluated. I'm interested to see how it is received. I like what I like - and like this one. Who knows what the lot will think of it.
Either way, being able to play these parts on all the instruments, or sing them accurately in time, is another story and a whole big bag of fun and defines the priori of the job of being in DT. I'm glad DT fans can enjoy and be entertained by both song content and the act of musicianship. I read a great quote yesterday that to strive for excellence is where to find joy.  (Someone posted it. It is by Author Pearl Buck.) I think this is why critics that are angry are, by definition, void of joy and try to make others void of joy. But it doesn't work on those that choose joy in their spirit and strive for excellence as the quote says. Pretty cool! I never saw it that way. Most DT fans strive for excellence like us, by forging forward finding true joy in digging in, and learning the new material.  So, I'm hoping and waiting to see if this album can create more joy than not!!

Offline The Letter M

Re: MIKE MANGINI TALKS ABOUT UPCOMING ALBUM
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 10:18:03 AM »
I was *just* about to share this here. Man, you're quick. Do you just have musicians' pages loaded up and on alert whenever any of them post?

-Marc.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 11:37:45 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline rab7

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 10:26:15 AM »
I like what I like - and like this one

Who is this guy? Is he someone whose opinion I should care about?

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 10:41:19 AM »
This is why I've grown to love Mangini being a part of DT.  I've really come to appreciate his approach to drumming, especially within the context of the band. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 10:43:44 AM »

He doesn't seem that important. I'm sure there's tons of folks who don't even care about who he is and/or what he does!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 10:44:24 AM »
I was *just* about to share this here. Man, you're quick. Do you just have musicians' pages loads up and on alert whenever any of them post? 🤣

-Marc.
"Only A Matter Of Seconds"    ;D
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2021, 10:48:14 AM »
FROM HIS FB ACCOUNT:

The Album begins with a drum fill that sounds like something obvious but is not. It's too fast to pick up the slight anomaly of being 3:2 of 7 that fits over 4 of the main 7 notes with 3 of the real 7/16 notes left for the end of the fill. See what I mean? But I can teach it by SHAPE and Feel without calculating it- that's how I came up with it. Shape and Feel. I'm glad I gained the knowledge and pattern recognition to know what it is though so I can explain it. I'll soon be making Master Classes on this and our 1st Song release, as well Private Slots for Zoom.
Other drum parts of the album, especially AVFTTOTW, have parts you have to "know" or there's no way to play them. ie. one drum part is a very long odd time and the entire kit (and kick sound) is played entirely with my hands while my feet are playing a different type of instrument sound in a completely different time signature.

I think it moved.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2021, 10:56:01 AM »
Stay away from those mangos..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2021, 11:18:49 AM »

Probably not.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2021, 11:37:56 AM »
FROM HIS FB ACCOUNT:

The Album begins with a drum fill that sounds like something obvious but is not. It's too fast to pick up the slight anomaly of being 3:2 of 7 that fits over 4 of the main 7 notes....

That's where I stopped reading.   :)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2021, 11:39:29 AM »
FROM HIS FB ACCOUNT:

The Album begins with a drum fill that sounds like something obvious but is not. It's too fast to pick up the slight anomaly of being 3:2 of 7 that fits over 4 of the main 7 notes....

That's where I stopped reading.   :)

Yeah. This is all just gibberish to me, as a non drummer/musician/Mangini.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2021, 11:46:45 AM »
His feet are playing a different type of instrument sound, while his hands are playing his kit including the kick drum. 

Say what... :yarr
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2021, 12:20:00 PM »
I actually thought it was a joke post at first. Do you think he's "taking the piss" as they say across the pond?

Edit: Never mind, just read it carefully again and he's dead serious. Love the passion!

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2021, 12:23:59 PM »
Maybe he was so excited about what he was talking about that he mistyped  :lol It will be interesting if it's what it really is though.

But I always appreciate how passionate he comes across while talking about the music he works on. Even if some of it gets way over my head at times  :lol

Offline JLa

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2021, 01:03:59 PM »
the slight anomaly of being 3:2 of 7 that fits over 4 of the main 7 notes with 3 of the real 7/16 notes left for the end of the fill. See what I mean?

Ahhhh, right ...

:lol

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2021, 01:18:52 PM »

Probably not.
He's smart so i wont like the same music as him.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2021, 01:19:30 PM »
the slight anomaly of being 3:2 of 7 that fits over 4 of the main 7 notes with 3 of the real 7/16 notes left for the end of the fill. See what I mean?

Ahhhh, right ...

So I am guessing, that section is in 7/16, and he is describing the part that doesn't sound like a complex part, but it actually is when you analyze the timing.  :justjen  :lol

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline emtee

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2021, 01:34:05 PM »
Mike Mathgini.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2021, 01:40:36 PM »
FROM HIS FB ACCOUNT:

Since this IS Dream Theater, I think fans are entertained by this kind of thing, but also need the simple groove playing and melodies to be able to take a mental break here and there. Not only did JP & JR smoke those melodies while JM and I held the Fort down, but LaBrie utterly slaughtered and nailed them throughout the album that I'm sitting back almost giggling in a lawn chair with a drink waiting for the album as a whole to be heard and evaluated. I'm interested to see how it is received. I like what I like - and like this one. Who knows what the lot will think of it.
Either way, being able to play these parts on all the instruments, or sing them accurately in time, is another story and a whole big bag of fun and defines the priori of the job of being in DT. I'm glad DT fans can enjoy and be entertained by both song content and the act of musicianship. I read a great quote yesterday that to strive for excellence is where to find joy.  (Someone posted it. It is by Author Pearl Buck.) I think this is why critics that are angry are, by definition, void of joy and try to make others void of joy. But it doesn't work on those that choose joy in their spirit and strive for excellence as the quote says. Pretty cool! I never saw it that way. Most DT fans strive for excellence like us, by forging forward finding true joy in digging in, and learning the new material.  So, I'm hoping and waiting to see if this album can create more joy than not!!

I don't recall MM waxing poetic for PR purposes. Seeing this is a good sign
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2021, 01:51:28 PM »
FROM HIS FB ACCOUNT:

I don't recall MM waxing poetic for PR purposes. Seeing this is a good sign

Yup.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2021, 02:04:22 PM »

This is how I'm understanding his post; notated in 7/8 for simplicity's sake (same idea, just not using the smaller subdivisions). And yeah, I know I'm breaking many notation rules here.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2021, 02:08:13 PM »
So who's gonna record their guess as to what the drum fill sounds like which we can then compare to the actual thing when it comes out?  :lol

I seem to recall something similar happened when someone spotted some sheet music in a making-of video for ADTOE or DT12 or something.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2021, 02:10:51 PM »
His feet are playing a different type of instrument sound, while his hands are playing his kit including the kick drum. 

Say what... :yarr

Marco Minnemann approach, playing the "kick" with a tom/gong drum, and using both feet to play two hi-hats. At least that's what I'm understanding.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2021, 02:20:30 PM »
FROM HIS FB ACCOUNT:

The Album begins with a drum fill...

I like that, A LOT :metal
Finally Mangini doing that in a DT album! :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2021, 02:21:15 PM »
FROM HIS FB ACCOUNT:

Enigma Machine would like a word :sadpanda:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2021, 02:29:23 PM »
So who's gonna record their guess as to what the drum fill sounds like which we can then compare to the actual thing when it comes out?  :lol

I seem to recall something similar happened when someone spotted some sheet music in a making-of video for ADTOE or DT12 or something.
It was a midi file of a section from False Awakening Suite. Those were good times.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Trav86

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2021, 02:38:41 PM »
FROM HIS FB ACCOUNT:

Please remind Enigma Machine that it doesn’t start the album.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2021, 02:43:33 PM »
FROM HIS FB ACCOUNT:

PBD is the closest thing we've had, so far.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline emtee

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2021, 02:46:21 PM »
Part of his exuberance is probably because he's finally ecstatic about the way his drums and cymbals sound. I'm also very excited about that aspect of this album. Firepower is one of the best sounding metal albums I've ever heard. If DT15 sounds that good, we're in for a treat.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2021, 03:06:08 PM »
FROM HIS FB ACCOUNT:

That :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2021, 03:08:57 PM »
Part of his exuberance is probably because he's finally ecstatic about the way his drums and cymbals sound. I'm also very excited about that aspect of this album. Firepower is one of the best sounding metal albums I've ever heard. If DT15 sounds that good, we're in for a treat.

That's where I think Jimmy T will get his Production credit from by working more with Mangini with his drum sound, more so than he did on D/T.

He did work with him for Distance Over Time, as evidenced in this interview.

“This record [the new DT album ‘Distance Over Time’] unfolded differently than any other one that I’ve done – because I was a part of that engineering process by default. Over the years, talking to Jimmy T [James Meslin, engineer] about frequencies I just don’t want in my drums – he soaked up all that and then did his thing, basically.

“So what happens is, when we get that initial sound… I said it has to be right because that is the sound that we’ll try to get back to for the beginning of every song so that the album’s consistent. So we hope to get it good enough right there. [Laughs] ‘Alright, it’s gonna work the whole way.’ That’s the first thing.
https://metalwani.com/2019/02/dream-theaters-mike-mangini-explains-his-drum-sound-throws-light-on-claims-of-terrible-drum-sound-on-distance-over-time.html

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2021, 03:57:05 PM »
I have no idea what Mangini was saying, but I think it's making me excited.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2021, 03:58:40 PM »
Yeah, I'm a complete idiot when it comes to music theory, but reading all of that got me very excited. I'm always happy when I see MM happy, considering how he is such a nice dude.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2021, 05:22:28 PM »
FROM HIS FB ACCOUNT:

You’re actually wrong twice. EM is not an album opener, and it doesn’t begin with drums. :facepalm:

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2021, 05:24:19 PM »
FROM HIS FB ACCOUNT:

You’re actually wrong twice. EM is not an album opener, and it doesn’t begin with drums. :facepalm:

I know, somehow I thought devieira was implying there haven't been any good fills on a Mangini album. :lol