Author Topic: Ughh, LIGHTNING! ⚡  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Ughh, LIGHTNING! ⚡
« on: August 04, 2021, 10:14:26 AM »
Feel free to share your lightning stories here.
I live in Western Washington state, so we don't get anywhere near the severe lightning storms as you guys in the midwest or East coast.  When we do get them though, they can wreak havoc.  I've had four encounters that were way to close for comfort. One of them being a direct hit on my house while we were in it. It blew all of our appliances and electronics, and blew paint and plaster off of our walls, left a burn hole on our roof. It sounded like a bomb went off over our heads. I remember showers of sparks coming out of the light fixtures and huge black mark's around the outlets which had to be replaced.  As soon as I opened the front door to check for roof fires, our dogs bolted and didn't come home for about four hours. I actually had to go find them, they were hiding in a grove of trees down by the river.
I've had other near misses outside while working or camping etc.  Now days whenever lightning is on the horizon, my blood pressure rises and I get terrified! Just yesterday, a lightning bolt ignited a fire on a local island that is protected for a wildlife sanctuary and no humans allowed.  They eventually got the fire under control, but the skies were so eerie all day yesterday and I left work early because of it. I was pruning trees and the sky started churning.  No thank you!   I hate lightning because it is violent and can kill you, and it feels like a damn T-Rex is coming..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Ughh, LIGHTNING! ⚡
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 10:27:21 AM »
I actually wonder how high the percentage of lightning strikes  went up with the amount of lightning coming closer to the city here.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 10:35:11 AM »
In 2007, I was in Vegas and we went out late one night to watch the fountains at Bellagio.  A storm was rolling in from the mountains behind the strip.  As I went to take a picture of the fountains, lightning struck a crane at a construction site next to Bellagio (they were building the Aria hotel at the time).

The camera re-focused on the lightning bolt.  I looked back at the picture and felt my pulse racing - I had actually taken a picture of lightning, which is near impossible.  It's really the only luck I've ever had in Vegas.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 10:39:07 AM »
Here in Mid-Missouri we get strange weather patterns and we can get a lot of rain but no real bad thunderstorms. However, there are exceptions. One time, the wife was outside watching the storm come through and all of the sudden, there was a huge white light and a LOUD crack of thunder. She screamed and ran back into the house. I found it humorous.  :lol She didn't.  :tdwn

Then last year (I think) we got a derecho which is basically hurricane force winds in the middle of the country. It lasted about 10 minutes and all I could think of was our maple trees and one big silver maple coming down over the power lines.  :omg:
There were downed trees all over the city.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 10:43:12 AM »
In 2007, I was in Vegas and we went out late one night to watch the fountains at Bellagio.  A storm was rolling in from the mountains behind the strip.  As I went to take a picture of the fountains, lightning struck a crane at a construction site next to Bellagio (they were building the Aria hotel at the time).

The camera re-focused on the lightning bolt.  I looked back at the picture and felt my pulse racing - I had actually taken a picture of lightning, which is near impossible.  It's really the only luck I've ever had in Vegas.

Wow, that's a great shot!   :omg:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 11:00:30 AM »
It's really the only luck I've ever had in Vegas.

:lol cool photo though

We've had a lot of really bad lightning storms this summer in NJ.  I've sat outside under my patio roof watching them often, or I'll sleep with my blinds open so I can see them from bed.  I really enjoy it, but when it's super bright and that thunder rumbles your body immediately after, well you know that was really close and kind of scary.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 11:22:50 AM »
Dang. That's a nice picture. I really should grab a camera and try and snap a picture.

One actually struck right by my apartment complex. It was so close I just heard a loud boom, like something exploding. Luckily it didn't hit any structures or our complex. Also, out in the rez where I'm also from, one of my mom's relatives house got hit by lightning. Luckily and fortunately, they weren't home at the time. Although my cousin did tell my mom it stunk.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 11:44:40 AM »

I've sat outside under my patio roof watching them often. 
That's a dangerous place to be. Many people have been fatally struck sitting under a patio roof, especially if you're on concrete. A lot of golfers have been killed taking refuge under small coverings too.  Just something to keep in mind.   :eek

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 11:48:22 AM »

I've sat outside under my patio roof watching them often. 
That's a dangerous place to be. Many people have been fatally struck sitting under a patio roof, especially if you're on concrete. A lot of golfers have been killed taking refuge under small coverings too.  Just something to keep in mind.   :eek

Hmm, didn't know that...

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 12:37:44 PM »
I used to live south of DFW (Euless, Texas or as we residents called it Useless, TX) and holy shit. The thunder was super loud. You get used to it but the first times you hear it, you shit your pants!

I now live in Round Rock, TX (north of Austin) and while the thudner is not as loud, the spring storms are very dangerous (lots of hail and wind). We get the tail ends of the tornado fronts that go through north Texas and Oklahoma. Anyhow, about 5 years ago, during one of those storms, a lightning struck near my home and the AC transformer  crapped out, the dryer died, the cable and wifi modems got fried, and my TV didn't turn on after that (blown cap). I got so pissed.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 01:31:31 PM »

That's amazing.

This is the kind of thing that one regrets saying, but I don't have a ton of good lightning stories.   The closest is driving from Cleveland to Erie, PA for a job interview at GE and watching a lightning storm the entire way over the lake.   Like a fireworks display.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2021, 02:11:33 PM »
I was camping once during a storm, and a bolt struck hella close to our camp during the night. It literally sounded like a massive bomb going off, and there was zero lag between the light and sound. Woke up the next day to see a tree about 100ft from out campsite ripped in half.

The other story is last year in the peak of fire season here in California, and we got a dry lightning storm that lasted the night. Woke up to dry ground and knew we were in some deep shit. Didn't have clear skies for the next 30 days at least as an area larger than Rhode Island burned across the state.

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2021, 02:17:08 PM »

That is an amazing shot, and all by chance

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2021, 03:41:49 PM »
That’s a fantastic shot, Grappler!

I used to love watching lightning storms when I lived in Salt Lake City. Now that I’m in southern Oregon, I hate them with a passion for the reasons lonestar mentioned. This valley just seems to suck in the wildfire smoke from nearly anywhere and it doesn’t leave for weeks, most often sticking around until late September or early October. This past weekend, a couple fairly active lightning storms rolled through. This is now the view from my office window:

Those hills faintly seen above the trees beyond that grayish blue shed are a little over two miles away is all…

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2021, 06:44:49 AM »
That's a great photograph Grappler.

I'm a fan of lightening, it's one of the things I miss most about living in Florida. We'd have frequent lightening storms and I would often pour a drink and go outside to watch (I realize this sounds dumb :lol)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2021, 07:11:38 AM »

I used to love watching lightning storms when I lived in Salt Lake City. Now that I’m in southern Oregon, I hate them with a passion for the reasons lonestar mentioned. This valley just seems to suck in the wildfire smoke from nearly anywhere and it doesn’t leave for weeks, most often sticking around until late September or early October. This past weekend, a couple fairly active lightning storms rolled through. This is now the view from my office window:

Those hills faintly seen above the trees beyond that grayish blue shed are a little over two miles away is all…

Wildfire season is just brutal, we basically lost a town overnight here.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2021, 02:50:52 PM »
That's a great photograph Grappler.

I'm a fan of lightening, it's one of the things I miss most about living in Florida. We'd have frequent lightening storms and I would often pour a drink and go outside to watch (I realize this sounds dumb :lol)
I'm the same way. I'll sit under the carport and watch storms come in. Though after that tornado attack 2 years ago I might want to reevaluate, as it seems the rules have changed.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2021, 03:34:53 PM »

*image snip*

Wildfire season is just brutal, we basically lost a town overnight here.

If you’re talking losing Greenville to the Dixie Fire, I just read about that. Tragic. I can’t imagine having everything you’ve worked for in your life just literally going up in smoke. The stories I’ve heard from some of my patients about losing their homes in last year’s Almeda Fire here have sometimes just been downright heartbreaking.

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2021, 03:38:40 PM »
Climbing a 14er in southern Colorado back in the early 90's. Mt. Lindsey in the Sangre De Cristos. Northwest ridge route. Nothing crazy technical, but exposed and not easy to go quickly. Alpine start (well before sunrise), so as to get down before the thunderstorms (typically anytime after noon).

Approaching the summit approximately 9:30am. Everything going well, and beautiful clear skies.....except....ONE, dark, isolated storm cloud building up over the eastern plains. It is backing in and heading right for me. Again, once you commit to this ridge, you are kind of locked in. I was going along comfortably, but now I am anxious and scramble a bit faster (within the realm of safety). I am so close to the summit. Scurrying to it, I forego the usual signing of the register and begin to descend. Just below the summit, there is a small section of wider terrain with a slight headwall as "protection" from the gusty winds. Not so much from lightning. But I wanted to get there because it's a few feet lower than the actual ridgeline. I no sooner "jumped" down to that section....I heard (and felt) a buzzing on the button on top of my cap. Knowing what that meant, I had what is essentially a fraction of a second to crouch down....before a simultaneous loud BOOM and flash (the FIRST flash of lightning from that storm). I actually lost my hearing temporarily because of the sound echoing off the rock (Interestingly enough, I had temporarily lost my hearing a few months earlier at a Robin Trower concert....front row). The light was so pure white that....for a moment....I wondered if I had been hit, and this was the afterlife! Stunned, I stayed down for a few more seconds before I was jolted into reality by.....not another bolt....and not rain ....but SNOW (just checked an old journal of mine and it showed it was July 14th, 1990). Almost a whiteout, but I could discern the ridge and knew which way was DOWN!

But as sketchy as that ridge is going up (the route description defines the difficulty....Class 3.... and the risk factors Exposure: Considerable, Rockfall Potential: Considerable,  Route-Finding: Considerable)....it's exponentially more sketchy when descending on slick, snow covered rock! But not knowing how long the storm was going to stick around (Sangres are notorious magnets for storm clouds)...and as as a sitting duck with more lightning at that altitude, and the snow getting worse by the minute, I felt compelled to descend. Since I obviously survived, it wasn't a BAD decision....though a couple of times I wondered, as I slipped and almost fell to what was sure to be a terrible fate. As it turned out, when I reached the saddle below the crux of the ridge (approximately a thousand feet lower), the skies cleared and it became warm rather quickly. But the snow higher up did not melt, as I looked up just before I drove away from the trailhead another hour or so later. 

Ever since, while I already had respect for lightning as a climber for a few years before this climb, I watch the skies like a hawk. If I see a storm brewing....if I am outside (which is most of the day because of my job)....I anticipate and think about where the closest shelter might be located. I still hike and climb, but I will turn around and wait for a better day if it begins to darken up. There wasn't much I could do on that day....those isolated storms can happen ANYTIME in the Rockies (despite a forecast of clear skies). But I feel like I dodged that electrical bullet, and don't want to push the envelope again.

https://www.14ers.com/photos/mtlindsey/mRLind_110.jpg?lastupd=202106280720

« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 04:06:58 PM by crazy climber dude »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2021, 04:24:50 PM »
When I was growing up in Michigan, we had a boat that we took out fishing on Lake Michigan and also just cruising around for fun.  Not a yacht by any means, but a pretty nice boat.

Every year for vacation, we'd take two weeks and cruise up the coast with two or three other families, staying in a different port every night.  One day during one of the longer stretches between ports, we got caught by a sudden thunderstorm.  This was back before every boat had radar, and weather reports were not 100% reliable.

We were cruising up the west coast of Lake Michigan, so the coast was to the east and this storm came across the lake from the west moving very quickly.  It was on us before long, and we still had half an hour to the nearest port.  Lightning wasn't constant, but coming down around us every couple of minutes.  Obviously when you're on the water, you are automatically the highest point, and lightning tends to go for the highest point.  I asked my dad what would happen if lightning hit us.  He said he wasn't sure, but it was possible that the boat would explode, since we had about 100 gallons of fuel on board.  Also, don't tell my mom or sisters that.  They were down below in the cabin; I was on the bridge with my dad.

We were on the radio with the other boats, discussing options, when there was an incredibly loud crack of thunder and Denny (one of the other captains) in the middle of a sentence goes "Yow!!"  I look over at their boat and Denny is hanging onto the railing of the upper bridge by one hand.  The boats are still cruising full speed, and his son Matt has grabbed the helm.  I watched Denny pull himself up and climb back onto his boat.  Later he told us that that bolt of lightning glanced off their boat, knocking him from the helm, and he just managed to grab a railing on the way down, else he'd have been in the water and we'd have had a man overboard situation, in a lightning storm.  Pretty scary shit.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2021, 04:31:38 PM »
Didn't you ever listen to "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald"!?!?!?!

By the way, I love boats like that; when I met my ex-wife, she was living on a boat like that.  We used to take it out on the Sound all the time.  Good times.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2021, 11:40:59 AM »
Those are all great stories, keep em coming!   The one (Orberts) about being on the boat on Lake Michigan would make me feel vulnerable and helpless,  yikes!
Also the one about being caught on the mountian ridge is very unsettling. I'm glad your hearing was restored Crazy Climber.  These type of storms remind us all of how small we really are.. 🤏

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2021, 12:13:21 PM »
I'm glad your hearing was restored Crazy Climber.  🤏

Thank you. Ironically my hearing is not that bad considering that close call, the 50+ concerts I attended BEFORE everyone realized wearing hearing protection was a good idea, and the fact I am almost 60 years old.  :hat

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2021, 06:52:41 AM »
Good grief!  I was watching the news last night and saw that some poor lifeguard on the Jersey shoreline got struck and killed by lightning yesterday.  He was on duty sitting on one of the lifeguard towers when he got struck. It was reported that the sky was blue at the time, but the lightning traveled from a distant cloud.  So sad for him and his family..  :(

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2021, 08:03:51 AM »
I was at a Bachelor party for my best friend this summer and one of the activities involved SUPs. There we were in the water having a good time when in the distance we see a storm coming in but as naive as we were we thought it would pass us by to the right but sure enough about 5 mins later it was pretty much over us so everyone rushed to shore kinda. The funny thing was that like the team we were we ended up splitting into two groups since one group was way ahead of my group so they got to shore at some other place while my group including the bachelor himself backtracked to shore. Now i'm not sure how many of you that's familiar with Stand up paddleboards but ME, how was a noob had a real problem with my balance and that absolutely didn't get better with some adrenaline thrown into the mix. My friend (bachelor) could handle it and he kinda left me alone and rushed to shore leaving me alone with my SUP and shaky legs, I ended up sitting instead and paddled myself to shore. I fell overboard about 3 times while getting back to shore.  :lol

Anyway it all went well in the end and we could laugh it off even though it was kinda scary. I mean, I dosen't sound like a good idea to be the only thing standing up in the ocean in a thunderstorm.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2021, 10:08:31 AM »
Good grief!  I was watching the news last night and saw that some poor lifeguard on the Jersey shoreline got struck and killed by lightning yesterday.  He was on duty sitting on one of the lifeguard towers when he got struck. It was reported that the sky was blue at the time, but the lightning traveled from a distant cloud.  So sad for him and his family..  :(

The lightning has been hitting closer and I've been wondering how much our chances of getting hit by lightning has gone up for us. It's been hitting close and it actually hit a house out in Hopi, close by my mother's house. Luckily, no one was there at the time.

But if you see a cloud in the distance and see lightning, that's nature's way of saying "Get the fuck out of the water and get somewhere safe."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2021, 04:59:13 AM »

That was on Lake Superior.  ;) :D
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2021, 09:57:40 AM »

That was on Lake Superior.  ;) :D

HAHA