Author Topic: Watch The Sound w/ Mark Ronson - Autotune  (Read 429 times)

Offline cfmoran13

Watch The Sound w/ Mark Ronson - Autotune
« on: August 04, 2021, 07:32:52 AM »
I was gonna put this in the Movies/TV section.  But, it seemed more appropriate in the Music Discussion.  Has anyone watched the Watch The Sound with Mark Ronson show on Apple+?  Each episode focuses on something going on in today's music (Autotune, Sampling, Reverb, etc.).  Seemed like a cool concept for a show.  So, I figured I'd check it out.  I just watched the first episode, Autotune.  I remember hearing Cher's "Believe" on the radio 50,000 times a day when it came out and HATED IT.  Still do.  I couldn't stand the robotic effect on her voice that didn't have a name yet.  As we all know, it's gone from being an editing tool to fix one bad note to becoming a crutch for allowing people who can't sing to have a career. 

I'll be honest, the episode opened my eyes to how there are some people who are using it in an artistic way to do something original.  So, I'm not gonna go so far as to say it can't have some artistic merit.  Ronson even has a line at the end where he says something to the effect of "Autotune has given people who can't sing the opportunity to have their voices heard."  And, it's a very nice sentiment.  However, when I hear someone robotically singing about trying "to git witchu" for the millionth time, I don't feel quite so warm and fuzzy about it.  Overall, I guess I still feel the majority of the people using it are just too lazy to sing it right on their own or simply don't have the talent to sing in the first place.

Just an opinion from a guy who couldn't sing to have his soul but does have decades of albums that were pitch corrected the proper way... another take.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Watch The Sound w/ Mark Ronson - Autotune
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 07:49:00 AM »
There's a series on Netflix called "This is Pop!" that also has an episode on autotune that I found interesting.