Author Topic: WTF?!? - An Airline Thread  (Read 4587 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: WTF?!? - An Airline Thread
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2021, 10:18:34 AM »
I've never flown all that much, but I can tell you that I would never entertain the option of flying Break Your Spirit airlines. Frontier, either.

Southwest is as low as I go for bargain flying and, sadly, I have seen several stories recently from them around idiot passengers. Frankly, makes me not want to bother right now.
In my experience, SWA isn't really a bargain at all anymore. That might have to do with AA hubbing out of DFW, but nine times out of ten AA blows them out of the air, price wise. If you book on exactly the right day, and don't mind flying out at 0500, you can do alright. Those tickets go fast, though, and any decent flights are terribly overpriced. They're a good airline, but as a low cost carrier they get by on reputation only.

We do fly Spirit when going to Florida, primarily because when we do that, it's usually five or six people at a time, so we (I) accept the hardship, breath deep and suck it up for three hours.   I feel like I can do ANYTHING for three hours in the right mindset (that is to say, with a couple Long Islands).   So we're traveling based on price only; SouthWest rarely factors into the equation in those instances.  For work, I stick with the bigger carriers, usually AA or Delta.
Does it actually turn out to be any cheaper? The prices I've seen certainly look cheaper at first glance, but only up until you add any one option. It's never cheaper by as much as the cost of a carry-on.

Don't tell the wife or my father-in-law, but no, probably not.   It is when you book, and sometimes Spirit runs little specials through their frequent flier program, because you don't have to check the boxes on the options or you'll get something thrown in.  But then inevitably we/they get to the airport, and we'll end up checking another back or something like that and I'm sure at the end of the trip it's a wash.   Someday I ought to track it and put it down on paper and just book the United flight and be done with it. But it's a part of our vacay routine at this point!  :) :)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2021, 10:38:00 AM »
Tape over the mouth could be a severe problem if he happened to get air sickness mid flight.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2021, 10:44:39 AM »
Tape over the mouth could be a severe problem if he happened to get air sickness mid flight.
Good point, and he'd been drinking, to boot.

In this case the suspension seems to be SOP. The airline is citing policy and claiming that it's just to allow an investigation. My hunch is that it has more to do with gauging the wind direction than actually investigating, though. My guess is that they'll get quietly chewed out if they taped his mouth shut, and publicly lauded for their professionalism.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2021, 10:50:12 AM »
Here's my question: why does anybody want to get drunk on an airplane? If you're heading to Vegas or NOLA and you want to get an early start on the evening's festivities, I suppose I could kind of see that. Seems to me that there's a finite amount of partying you can do, and I'd rather it be on the ground than in the air, though. But this idiot was flying home. I'd much rather wait until then. One drink I can understand. A bracer, if you will. I don't object so somebody having a bloody mary on an early flight, and I've ordered a beer on an evening flight, but at no point did I have any desire to get all wasted. That's something you do to have fun, and frankly, there's not much fun in flying anymore.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2021, 10:59:06 AM »
I take it a step further, I limit my food/liquid intake prior to and on the plane so as to not have to even deal with having to have 'an issue' and have to be running up and down the aisle to the closet. I make sure to not invite any potential embarrassing issues.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2021, 11:04:44 AM »
Yeah, I actually limit my foods and beverags as well because I hate having to get up and use the bathroom on a flight.  I've never drank on a flight either, for one, because it will make me have to use the bathroom, but also, I don't know if I want the drunk or buzzed feeling while flying.  It's likely because my body doesn't handle the potential turbulence too well to begin with so adding booze into the equation just seems like I'm setting myself up for a bad experience.

My brother however can't fly without having a few drinks.  He says it's because he gets scared from flying so the booze helps calm him down.

I guess I could see myself one day drinking on a plane, like with a group of people on our way to a party destination, but that's a specific scenario and even then, I'm pretty iffy on that.

I have eaten an edible on a flight before.  That kind of just vegs me out though.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2021, 01:05:03 PM »
I flew Spirit a few times somewhat recently (prepandemic) and was actually pleasantly surprised.  It was considerably cheaper even though I paid for at least one extra.  And everything went off pretty smoothly and it was all pretty straightforward.  Getting a drink and some pretzels would be nice, but other than not getting that, it wasn't much different than coach on other airlines.

I don't care what people wear on a flight though.  I mean I suppose someone could wear something that makes me uncomfortable, but the "worst" I've seen was PJs on an overnight flight and was fine with it.   Flying is generally uncomfortable, may as well wear comfortable clothes at least.

Which is not to say I don't wish flying was better.  Leaving passengers on the tarmac for hours is ridiculous.  How some airlines have handled over booking has been really poor.  Some people's behavior is really poor.  I just don't know what can be done about it beyond making sure passengers have some basic rights but the airlines can deal with problem passengers fairly.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2021, 02:08:50 PM »
Here's my question: why does anybody want to get drunk on an airplane? If you're heading to Vegas or NOLA and you want to get an early start on the evening's festivities, I suppose I could kind of see that. Seems to me that there's a finite amount of partying you can do, and I'd rather it be on the ground than in the air, though. But this idiot was flying home. I'd much rather wait until then. One drink I can understand. A bracer, if you will. I don't object so somebody having a bloody mary on an early flight, and I've ordered a beer on an evening flight, but at no point did I have any desire to get all wasted. That's something you do to have fun, and frankly, there's not much fun in flying anymore.

I'm all for partying, generally, but I'm with you on this one.  100%.  I DO drink in airports - I actually like sitting in the airport lounge, having a drink or to, and watching people - and I will once in a blue moon have what you call a bracer, but it's not getting drunk.

I take it a step further, I limit my food/liquid intake prior to and on the plane so as to not have to even deal with having to have 'an issue' and have to be running up and down the aisle to the closet. I make sure to not invite any potential embarrassing issues.

I can honestly say, with all the flying I've ever done, including international, I can't recall EVER having to go number 2 on an airplane, and I can't imagine, short of catastrophe, ever breaking that streak.   AirPORTS, yes, but airplane? Nope.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2021, 02:11:08 PM »
I can honestly say, with all the flying I've ever done, including international, I can't recall EVER having to go number 2 on an airplane, and I can't imagine, short of catastrophe, ever breaking that streak.   AirPORTS, yes, but airplane? Nope.

It's a nightmare scenario for me, and it's happened a few times.  The walk of shame out while there's a line down the aisle is really tough  :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2021, 02:33:14 PM »

I'm all for partying, generally, but I'm with you on this one.  100%.  I DO drink in airports - I actually like sitting in the airport lounge, having a drink or to, and watching people - and I will once in a blue moon have what you call a bracer, but it's not getting drunk.
I dig airport bars, too, but even there I'm more likely to have a club soda/lime than a proper drink. I quit being a nervous flyer years ago, so I don't need anything to calm me down and, as a rule, if I'm not looking to catch a nice buzz I'm not likely to spend $8 on a drink.

Ditto. I was a bit nervous on a return flight from Mexico once, but by and large my bowels and I have a very nice working relationship. We're generally on the same page.  :tup
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2021, 02:36:40 PM »
I have one long flight and back every summer. I usually have one beer on the plane on the first drink run by the FA's. We're renting a car in a foreign city and usually driving a bit to our lodgings. But flying back, I'll have three beers. Of course, we usually have a ride meeting us in Boston.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2021, 02:37:59 PM »

I will never have more than a drink just because I dont wanna break the seal and deal with going to the bathroom.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2021, 02:38:26 PM »
I have one long flight and back every summer. I usually have one beer on the plane on the first drink run by the FA's. We're renting a car in a foreign city and usually driving a bit to our lodgings. But flying back, I'll have three beers. Of course, we usually have a ride meeting us in Boston.
You still a nervous-Nelly? I recall you used to be quite spooked by the idea of flying.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2021, 02:58:37 PM »
You still a nervous-Nelly? I recall you used to be quite spooked by the idea of flying.

I just like beer! ;D

I still have the PM you sent me many years ago on Flying.

Am I a nervous Nelly? Yeah! I'm dealing with it, and trying to remain confident, but I fucking hate it.

I'm the worse when we are going to the airport to fly home at the end of our vacation. I'm so irritable and grumpy it's not even funny.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2021, 03:22:07 PM »
I've only flown once in my life.  Fucking hated every minute of it and it was only a 2 hour flight.  We hit turbulence too and I thought we were fucking going to crash into a mountain or something.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2021, 03:23:15 PM »
I've only flown once in my life.  Fucking hated every minute of it and it was only a 2 hour flight.  We hit turbulence too and I thought we were fucking going to crash into a mountain or something.

There's 0 chance of ever meeting up with you at a concert in the US then

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2021, 03:25:53 PM »

Hey, if COVID wasn't a thing and I could come over to meet all of you and go to concerts and festivals, I most definitely would take the plunge and jump on a long flight.  Where I am in life, it actually was starting to become a possibility as I have leave coming out my ass, but yeah, then COVID happened.  For the flight, I'll just get really drunk or take some pills or something haha.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2021, 05:49:20 PM »

Hey, if COVID wasn't a thing and I could come over to meet all of you and go to concerts and festivals, I most definitely would take the plunge and jump on a long flight.  Where I am in life, it actually was starting to become a possibility as I have leave coming out my ass, but yeah, then COVID happened.  For the flight, I'll just get really drunk or take some pills or something haha.

:lol I kind of recall you toying with the idea for like Avantasia or something.  But didn't realize you weren't much of a flyer.  I fly a lot and personally going to Asia or Australia is practically off the table for me because I can't do long flights.  At 8 hours is about the most I can handle before I start going crazy. 

On a side note, I usually take sleeping pills when flying.  I have never found the in flight experience to be enjoyable at all so I'd rather just sleep it off.  But those only work for so long. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2021, 06:27:17 PM »

:lol I kind of recall you toying with the idea for like Avantasia or something.  But didn't realize you weren't much of a flyer.  I fly a lot and personally going to Asia or Australia is practically off the table for me because I can't do long flights.  At 8 hours is about the most I can handle before I start going crazy. 

On a side note, I usually take sleeping pills when flying.  I have never found the in flight experience to be enjoyable at all so I'd rather just sleep it off.  But those only work for so long.

YES!  Pretty sure it was Avantasia that brought the thinking up mate haha.  I'd make the sacrifice for that but it would be a brutal flight.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2021, 07:12:38 PM »
I'm sure a trip to the West Coast would be more palatable..but the cool people are on the East Coast. ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2021, 07:26:56 PM »
I'm sure a trip to the West Coast would be more palatable..but the cool people are on the East Coast. ;D

Why not both?  ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2021, 07:32:58 PM »
Spread the love baby!! :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2021, 08:21:47 PM »
Sad thing is two years ago it was a real possibility.  Now though, it genuinely seems like it will never be possible.  :'(

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2021, 08:28:08 PM »
Seriously.  I'm worried about concerts in my own country. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2021, 07:16:26 AM »

I'll usually only drink alcohol on long haul, but I'll usually stop at maybe one whiskey and a wine with dinner. Getting drunk in a sealed cabin with crappy air quality and air turbulence is not my idea of fun. A lot of short haul carriers in Europe don't even serve alcohol anymore, and you aren't allowed to bring your own stuff on.

I did once fly while (probably) still drunk when I was travelling in Korea, but that was due to bad planning and poor decisions made the night before, and definitely not something I recommend to anyone.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2021, 08:06:37 AM »

I'm with ya there.  Or just getting a slize of pizza and a beer while in between connecting flights - especially when it's on the company's dime.  Back when I had status, and could get 'em free in the lounge, I'd sip back a few with my travelling companions.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2021, 08:06:46 AM »

It's a nightmare scenario for me, and it's happened a few times.  The walk of shame out while there's a line down the aisle is really tough  :lol

Yeah... I think once or twice in my life the call of the wild has been a little to strong to hold back.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2021, 08:11:04 AM »
I flew a red-eye home after partying (HARD) at the Calgary Stampede with my employees and customers (back in '08 or '09).  That was one of the roughest flights of my life.  Driving home at 6am I thought to myself "I'm not sure I should be behind the wheel".

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2021, 10:10:59 AM »
I've flown with a devastating hangover once, and swore I'd never do it again. Hamburg, back at the hotel around 0100, wolfed down a Royale with cheese and promptly passed out. Up about 5 to ride the S-bahn out to the airport. Remember Air Berlin handed out some kind of pimento cheese sandwiches, that probably would have been pretty good under better circumstances. Sitting in the middle seats, that's probably the closes I've come to hurling on a flight. Capped that off with an absolutely dismal train ride from FCO to Rome. Probably my worst day abroad.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2021, 12:33:46 PM »
I have my story too; I stayed up all night drinking in Stockholm, went back to the hotel in daylight, slept with the drapes closed for like 90 minutes, then made the trek to the airport.  That was a miserable next 24 hours.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2021, 02:19:09 PM »
I have my story too; I stayed up all night drinking in Stockholm, went back to the hotel in daylight

To be fair, that could have been 11 pm depending on the time of year. :P

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2021, 04:25:51 PM »
I have my story too; I stayed up all night drinking in Stockholm, went back to the hotel in daylight

To be fair, that could have been 11 pm depending on the time of year. :P

HAHA, you're right; it was like 2:00 or 2:30 if memory serves. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2021, 05:33:47 PM »
I don't mind a beer or two in the airport before a flight, time allowing. And on the rare occasions I've flown first class I've taken advantage of a free beer or two on the flight, but that's not exactly a regular occurence. I was trying to fly home from Lexington once and my flight's take-off kept on getting pushed back repeatedly. Every time we'd get a new, later departure I'd trudge back to the bar and the bartender would laugh as I ordered a different whiskey. Least annoyed I've ever been at a flight getting delayed :D

I've never flown hungover really, but I did end up taking a bus ride home from Boston to NYC in miserable shape. I was in Boston for a beer festival all day Saturday and got absolutely bombed. Like, walked back to the hotel but made a detour to Wendy's and bought almost $20 worth of food but then also passed out on my bed before I could eat any of it :lol I woke up the next morning feeling terrible, my hotel reservation was through, and I was meant to go spend Sunday with family who live in the area and crash with them before coming home on Monday. I called them and they told me they had all come down with the flu and I'd be better off just going home. Longest 4 hours of my life, I think I was praying for an accident to put me out of my misery by about halfway through :biggrin:
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2021, 09:15:01 AM »
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2021, 09:20:11 AM »