Author Topic: Quick computer question...  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Quick computer question...
« on: October 29, 2021, 09:42:08 AM »
So I live in Connecticut, my dad lives in Florida.  I have all the access and log in information for his computer and his modem.  Can I rig it so that I can print something from my computer in Connecticut and have it come out on his printer in Florida?  Or vice versa, have him scan something on his printer and have it show up on my computer?

Bearing in mind, his computer knowledge these days is limited to the on-off button, pretty much (though my brother is local if I need to adjust any settings).   

Does system matter?  He's using an outdated version of Windows (don't ask; it's a battle my brother and I have fought and lost).   I can use Windows or Mac, though Mac is easier for me.

Offline hunnus2000

Re: Quick computer question...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 09:47:46 AM »
You printing from your computer to his printer is problematic at best.

I think your best bet is to get hooked up with software where you can take control of his computer. Research Bomgar which is what a lot of companies use for their help desk. You can take control of his computer and print to your hearts content.

His version of Windows may be a problem though.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 09:56:13 AM »
You printing from your computer to his printer is problematic at best.

I think your best bet is to get hooked up with software where you can take control of his computer. Research Bomgar which is what a lot of companies use for their help desk. You can take control of his computer and print to your hearts content.

His version of Windows may be a problem though.

This is the answer. If you each download Zoom, you'll have the ability to control his machine remotely. Just email whatever you need to yourself, open it remotely on his machine and print as normal. It'll come out on his end, not yours.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 10:28:07 AM »
Okay. Thanks, guys!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 10:46:21 AM »
Yeah, something like what hunnus posted is your best bet.  But here's the thing:  It's easier to just email documents back and forth.  No offense to your dad, but if you can't get him to open and print and email attachment, I don't see him being very successful establishing Bomgar connecctions.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 10:50:42 AM »
Skype for business would work just as well.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 12:49:11 PM »
Yeah, something like what hunnus posted is your best bet.  But here's the thing:  It's easier to just email documents back and forth.  No offense to your dad, but if you can't get him to open and print and email attachment, I don't see him being very successful establishing Bomgar connecctions.

That last point is spot on.  :)  I was hoping for any of this to be transparent to him.  I love him, he's the smartest guy I know, but he's 82 and the flexibility and nimbleness isn't there anymore.  :)    That's why I'm doing this to begin with.