Author Topic: Another DT15 game - describe the songs before hearing them!  (Read 4480 times)

Online MirrorMask

Another DT15 game - describe the songs before hearing them!
« on: August 03, 2021, 06:49:44 AM »
So, let's try to spend some fun times while we wait for the new album - remember when they gave out the annotations for Stream of Consciousness and people were asked to try to come up with music matching the annotations? well, let's do it again, this time let's guess how the songs sound like, based on nothing at all except mindless speculations and impossible expectations  :biggrin:

Gentle reminder of the tracklist:

A View From The Top Of The World

1. The Alien (9:32)
2. Answering The Call (7:35)
3. Invisible Monster (6:31)
4. Sleeping Giant (10:05)
5. Transcending Time (6:25)
6. Awaken The Master (9:47)
7. A View From The Top Of The World (20:24)

Your job now is to describe how the new songs sound like. You can be as specific as you want (go into details about intro, riffs and solos) or just be generic as in "this song starts slow but builds up to a fast part", and if you want you can guess the lyrical matter as well.

The one who gets most of them reasonably right wins!!! ....well, there's nothing to be won, but let's have a "winner" anyway, it will be fun come October 22nd to look back to this thread and see what people guessed!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Another DT15 game - describe the songs before hearing them!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 08:50:13 AM »
Gee, I dunno.  Track 7 looks like it has the possibility of sounding like Illumination Theory Pt.2   :\
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 11:49:11 AM »
So maybe it's the album clover that makes me think that, but I feel this album will be more on the energetic and uplifting prog rock side than the metal side of things. It's still going to have heavy moments, but it won't be like Train of Thought for example. And now for my thoughts on each songs.

1. The Alien: I think it will be sort of a typical opener, like in the vein of On the Backs of Angels. A slow and soft build up that leads into an explosive beginning, followed by the song section and an instrumental passage before ending the track. Lyrically I don't think it's about a actual alien, but more about feeling out of place in the world or in your life.

2. Answering the Call: I'm not sure about this one. I guess lyrically it could be about taking action towards a goal. I guess musically it could reflect that with something energetic and with a sense of urgency.

3.Invisible Monster: I think this one is going to be a heavy song. I think it's going to be relatively straightforward, but with a few little twists to make it interesting. I again think the title is not literal, but meant to reflect someone who's living a psychological struggle or trauma and how it affects their life.

4.Sleeping Giant: Another title that I think is not meant to be taken literally. I think it's about having great potential (the giant) but not living up to it or realizing it (the act of sleeping). Musically, I imagine it starting softly, either in a more atmospheric way or like a ballad, and staying like that for a chunk of the song, maybe with a slow build up over time. Then at some point it explodes into a huge sounding chorus (like Misunderstood) as if the giant awakened and keeps the energy and epicness going until the end.

5. Transcending Time: No clue about this one, whether it's musically or lyrically. Perhaps it's about doing something to leave your mark in the world so that even when you die, you will still exist in a way.

6. Awaken the Master: My first thought was that this was going to be another all around heavy track due to the title reminding me of songs from Systematic Chaos, specifically The Dark Eternal Night and In Presence of Enemies. But seeing as I feel like none of the title are meant to be literal, I think that it's thematically going to be about taking control of your circumstances and finally becoming the master of your own life. So I think it might turn out to be a bit like At Wit's End where it starts off as dramatic, it goes through a few turns before ending on an uplifting note.

7. A View From the Top of the World: This one I imagine it will musically represent the idea of climbing up the highest mountain. I kind of imagine it like Octavarium where it starts very subdued and atmospheric and gradually builds up until the whole thing really picks up in pace and drama, as if the ascension is starting off easy, but gets gradually more difficult until it becomes a real challenge. At that point I'm expecting lots of twists, technical passages and lots of tension building up until it reach a big climactic ending representing the moment where we reach the top of the world. And as the music ends you get a reprise of the soft beginning, as if we are sitting there and calmly enjoying the view. Lyrically, I think it's going to be about working and struggling to achieve your goal and gaining a greater perspective about your life and your place in the world in the process.

So that's about it I think. Thematically that would make it an album about personal struggles one might have and finding a place to fit in the world. I think that can make sense as a theme with the way the world has been recently. But maybe I'm wrong about that and all the titles are meant to be taken in a literal manner  :lol

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 11:50:36 AM »
Gee, I dunno.  Track 7 looks like it has the possibility of sounding like Illumination Theory Pt.2   :\

What clues give you that idea? Just worried it might be like IT? For the record, I would be ok with that  :)
I think the epic won't sound like any other, as all the epics are quite different. :metal

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 03:48:33 PM »

1. The Alien: Lyrically I don't think it's about a actual alien, but more about feeling out of place in the world or in your life.

Damn, I hope not. I would love a straight up sci-fi song in the veins of Pale Blue Dot.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 04:17:32 PM »

1. The Alien: Lyrically I don't think it's about a actual alien, but more about feeling out of place in the world or in your life.

Damn, I hope not. I would love a straight up sci-fi song in the veins of Pale Blue Dot.

For what it's worth, while I said I think it's not about an actual alien, I wouldn't mind at all if it actually was   :lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 01:10:28 AM »
I'll guess that
The Alien starts out as a light & melodic prog track, but has an odd structure that takes a few listens to wrap your head around, & gets a bit heavier towards the end before a nice resolution,
Answering The Call is a catchy song with a lot of focus on melody (leaving it in a good place to be a single),
Invisible Monster is a metal song that's otherwise pretty straightforward & fun,
Sleeping Giant is another heavy song that's far more elaborate & grandiose,
Transcending Time is an atmospheric ballad,
Awaken The Master is another heavy song that's consistently quite intense & has some dissonant parts,
& the title track is a triumphant closer about appreciating the beauty of the world, which also has many asides & crescendos, along with some proggy time-signature fun
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 01:50:23 AM »
I don't have many ideas of what's to come, but there's no way Answering The Call isn't in mixolydian

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2021, 04:41:15 AM »
There will be an F# on this album SOMEWHERE. Plus a tritone.

I don't have inside knowledge.

I'm just good at music.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2021, 05:05:20 AM »
I'll play myself.

Starts slow with the usual "first album song" kind of intro, then picks up heavier. Fairly straightforward but there's a long solo that stretches it to 9 minutes. Title is not literal, it's about alienation in society.

Another heavy song, starts fast and aggressive but has many melodic moments throughout. Lyrics vague enough in the "follow your own desires" category.

Slower and moody piece about some kind of mental anguish, not exactly a ballad but definitively slow(er).

A big epic sounding song, again not a literal title but another metaphor about fulfilling all of your potential, it has a bombastic chorus and some random musical detours here and there.

The other big shredder of the album, the one where the 8 strings work is more noticeable. A fast one with blistering solos and atmospheric lyrics.

Slow build up and then becomes faster, another one with an "epic" feel that takes it time to build up to the "real" part of the song that stays heavy until the end.

I'll pull a Portnoy, this one is going to be the bastard child of Octavarium and Illumination Theory. Slow start, the first half is quite melodic, with a bit of crescendo - think of Ministry of Lost Souls, something like Someone Like You but not that minimalistic - then it goes into quite a long and multifaceted solo section, with many twists and turns and mood changes. The finale is gonna be the bombastic grandeur they always use, consider the ending of Octavarium, Enemies or Illumination Theory. Lyrics will be mostly in the first half of the song, and then at the end, like Breaking All Illusions. The few line of lyrics that we already know will be at the end.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2021, 05:17:18 AM »
Samples of voicemails JP left on JRs mailbox, buried in 7 and a half minutes of moog noodling. Very experimental.

most definitely JM lyrics

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2021, 08:01:11 AM »
Since it's 7 tracks - I can't not think of Train Of Thought.

I think this might be their most all out heavy album in a long time. Whilst the title track will be their best epic since Octavarium ( at least I hope it is ).

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2021, 12:27:40 PM »
Based on Mangini's Facebook post, the album begins with drums, not a slow build-up. Fingers crossed for a "Where Eagles Dare" type drum intro.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2021, 12:53:16 PM »
Based on Mangini's Facebook post, the album begins with drums, not a slow build-up. Fingers crossed for a "Where Eagles Dare" type drum intro.

Maybe a Honor Thy Father type of intro.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2021, 03:58:01 PM »
While I'm not "describing" the songs, I will "compare" them to others that I think they may at least "resemble" either in structure or overall sound:

BRIDGES IN THE SKY
THE BIGGER PICTURE
OUR NEW WORLD
SURRENDER TO REASON
ENIGMA MACHINE
LOST NOT FORGOTTEN
BREAKING ALL ILLUSIONS

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2021, 04:15:08 PM »

What clues give you that idea? Just worried it might be like IT? For the record, I would be ok with that  :)
I think the epic won't sound like any other, as all the epics are quite different. :metal

It's almost the exact same length as well as being the closer.  That's two obvious similarities.  The rest is anyone's guess.  All I know for sure is that IT was a huge disappointment for me.  So, I'm not holding my breath on this one and I don't expect it to surpass any of their other epics.  ACOS, SDOIT, 8VM, TCOT, BAI are all gonna be pretty tough to top.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2021, 04:41:47 PM »

It's almost the exact same length as well as being the closer.  That's two obvious similarities.  The rest is anyone's guess.  All I know for sure is that IT was a huge disappointment for me.  So, I'm not holding my breath on this one and I don't expect it to surpass any of their other epics.  ACOS, SDOIT, 8VM, TCOT, BAI are all gonna be pretty tough to top.

You are right, tough to top great DT epics!...we will know soon..only about 10 weeks! :biggrin:

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2021, 05:16:04 PM »
While I'm not "describing" the songs, I will "compare" them to others that I think they may at least "resemble" either in structure or overall sound:

BRIDGES IN THE SKY
THE BIGGER PICTURE
OUR NEW WORLD
SURRENDER TO REASON
ENIGMA MACHINE
LOST NOT FORGOTTEN
BREAKING ALL ILLUSIONS

I'll try this too
1. The Alien - Barstool Warrior*
2. Answering The Call - About To Crash
3. Invisible Monster - Paralyzed
4. Sleeping Giant - Lost Not Forgotten
5. Transcending Time - Eve
6. Awaken The Master - Pale Blue Dot
7. A View From The Top Of The World - Only A Matter Of Time

* the closest DT song to what I'm thinking of, but a better comparison would be something like Haken's Atlas Stone
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2021, 05:57:08 PM »
I'll try that too:

1. The Alien - Room 137 and lots of Lydian/Lydian Dominant shenanigans

2. Answering The Call - Rush's Limelight meets Petrucci's Glasgow Kiss

3. Invisible Monster - This Is The Life or Act Of Faythe (is2g if this is a poignant-ish take on covid...)

4. Sleeping Giant - Rush's The Camera Eye

5. Transcending Time - the title makes me think of Dr. Brand's love speech in Interstellar, so I'm expecting a cheesy song about love itself; Chosen/Losing Faythe vibes

6. Awaken The Master - apparently this is the 8-string song, so The Mirror and TDEN vibes

7. A View From The Top Of The World - Between The Buried And Me's White Walls meets The Count Of Tuscany

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2021, 05:57:33 AM »
7. A View From The Top Of The World - Between The Buried And Me's White Walls meets The Count Of Tuscany

Ooooh, that would be awesome!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2021, 06:11:09 AM »
I'd like to know Noxon's opinion of this thread, but course he wouldn't be able to go too much into details yet  :D

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2021, 07:28:56 AM »
I'll play the guessing game, but I'm before that I'll like to quote this:

I think this might be their most all out heavy album in a long time.

This is were I land. I think with all the comments about energy and all the others stuff the band has said in the last 2-3 months, we are in for some heavy stuff (lyrically and musically). now to the guessing game:

1. The Alien (9:32): I expect something like The Enemy Inside meets OTBOA, Heavy with a 3 minute instrumental section. (song about self isolation and feeling of not belonging)
2. Answering The Call (7:35): Similar to Barstool Warrior, this song will have some cool melodies through the song. (song about listening to yourself and doing what's best for you)
3. Invisible Monster (6:31): (can't think of anything for this song, so lets just say starts slow, heavy instrumental section, then slows down again). (song about some sort of inner struggle)
4. Sleeping Giant (10:05): Starts off very heavy, and slows down in the middle, introduces a slow, melodic solo that slowly transitions back into the heaviness from the beginning. (song about reaching for your best self and reaching your potentials)
5. Transcending Time (6:25): Surrender to Reason type of song. (song about looking into a better future, and escaping the sorrows of your own past)
6. Awaken The Master (9:47): Heaviest song of the album (we know this is the song that uses the 8-string). Heavy throughout with a slow-paced ending, similar to S2N or DEN. (ITPOTE Pt. 3, The character falls again for the Dark Master  :angel:)
7. A View From The Top Of The World (20:24): Big epic with a 4 minute intro. This song starts very melodic and builds up intensity throughout until the final epic JP solo, similar to Octavarium. (Big epic about removing yourself from the world, and seeing it for what it is and what it could be).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2021, 01:34:48 PM »
This thread did not age that well, uh?  :lol

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2021, 01:44:23 PM »
This thread did not age that well, uh?  :lol

like a fine wine poured into a clear class and left out in the sun for a week.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2021, 02:18:31 PM »
There will be an F# on this album SOMEWHERE. Plus a tritone.

I don't have inside knowledge.

I'm just good at music.

I'm absolutely right as usual :hat

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2021, 02:19:49 PM »

I think this might be their most all out heavy album in a long time. Whilst the title track will be their best epic since Octavarium ( at least I hope it is ).

Ok it wasn't actually very heavy except that Awaken the Master was on an 8 string. But The Title track WAS the best epic since Octavarium.

In my opinion of course ! :)