13 (7.5%)
50% It's possible, I certainly hope so
24 (13.9%)
25% If Roth could return to VH, anything is possible
54 (31.2%)
0% Will NEVER happen
71 (41%)

Total Members Voted: 173

Author Topic: YOUR pct of chances that MP EVER returns to DT  (Read 14905 times)

Offline jcmoorehead

Re: YOUR pct of chances that MP EVER returns to DT
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2021, 03:21:56 AM »
I'm more interested in Samoa Joes chances of beating Scott Steiner at Sacrifice, apparantly the numbers don't lie and they spell disaster: https://youtu.be/WFoC3TR5rzI

---

Beyond that, I think it's incredibly slim, both sets of musicians are happy where they are and that's great. The problem with any sort of reunion too is that even if they did it to satisfy the "They should do one show" crowd, that crowd will inevitably turn into "now do one tour, one album and rejoin"

Offline Mladen

« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2021, 03:36:45 AM »
Nothing's impossible, so I went with the Roth option. ;D

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2021, 04:05:35 AM »
Sort of a side discussion, but JR  was born in 1956. How many more album cycle and tours does he have in him? JLB's voice is getting more strained every year.

I think the most likely scenario is that DT calls it a day...hard to imagine but nothing lasts forever. This provides an opportunity for a peaceful dissolution where nobody gets fired and relationships stay in good standing.

MP and JP (and possibly JM) form a new band and get a new vocalist and keyboard player.

Or I could be totally wrong, which is probably the case :)

Man, Dino Jelusick can do both and is awesome at both.

B.Lee

Btw, you guys are bored, right? Call that discussion beating a dead horse...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 04:15:32 AM by Bertielee »
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2021, 05:18:56 AM »
0%. Portnoy would never betray his Del Fuvio brother Derek to join a band with cheesy breathy vocals and fake video games keyboard sounds.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2021, 05:27:51 AM »
0%. Portnoy would never betray his Del Fuvio brother Derek to join a band with cheesy breathy vocals and fake video games keyboard sounds.

:rollin

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2021, 05:33:00 AM »
I don't know how many times Petrucci or mangini has said THIS is the Dream Theater lineup until the end and there's not really a chance of Portnoy coming back.

It's like - no matter how many times Noel Gallagher says oasis will 100% never reform as he could never go back to it and it's over. it's in the past . It's finished.

He was miserable in oasis and he's very happy in High Flying Birds.

Oasis fans are still like " nah it'll happen definitely. " and interviewers KEEP asking him and he ALWAYS says "not a chance".

Not to be a jerk, but a) what do you expect them to say ("Yeah, we're just waiting for Mangeen to leave so we can get Mike P. back in here, but he won't take the hint!"), and b) I don't believe Noel, either.  They're blood.   They (the Gallagher Bros.) WILL play together at some point, especially if it comes down to Mum.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2021, 05:39:44 AM »
I don't think he'll ever be back in Dream Theater, I could 100% see him joining them for a live show as a special guest or something.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2021, 05:40:30 AM »
You know what, I never really was bothered when MP left and MM came in.  As a guitarist, it didn't really bother me.  I was just happy it worked out for the band.  ADTOE and TA IMO were average (TA being horrible) yet the self titled would be a top 5 DT album for me.  DOT was a great listen too.

However, as time goes on, my view has kind of changed.  I've been watching some old clips and damn, with MP they were a special unit.  Shows like Score and Budokan are just amazing and for me, there is just something missing with MM in there for me.  I know that has nothing to do with this thread, but I've never really said that before, but as I was watching these clips I actually thought, 'If MP came back, I wouldn't be mad at all.'  MM is a wonderful drummer and seems like a great fella, but I've just never really found much to like about him to be honest.  He has just been the adequate fill in that can play these songs really well.  Doesn't have that special something MP had.

If it matters, that's exactly how I feel (the latter part).  MM is (apparently, since I've never met him) a wonderful guy and a wonderful drummer, but it's not the same.   I STILL watch every "Making Of..." doc for the TA/FC/NMB albums, just to watch Portnoy play even in practice, even in the studio. I can't explain it, it's just what I like.  It just strikes a chord with me.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2021, 05:49:19 AM »
You know what, I never really was bothered when MP left and MM came in.  As a guitarist, it didn't really bother me.  I was just happy it worked out for the band.  ADTOE and TA IMO were average (TA being horrible) yet the self titled would be a top 5 DT album for me.  DOT was a great listen too.

However, as time goes on, my view has kind of changed.  I've been watching some old clips and damn, with MP they were a special unit.  Shows like Score and Budokan are just amazing and for me, there is just something missing with MM in there for me.  I know that has nothing to do with this thread, but I've never really said that before, but as I was watching these clips I actually thought, 'If MP came back, I wouldn't be mad at all.'  MM is a wonderful drummer and seems like a great fella, but I've just never really found much to like about him to be honest.  He has just been the adequate fill in that can play these songs really well.  Doesn't have that special something MP had.

If it matters, that's exactly how I feel (the latter part).  MM is (apparently, since I've never met him) a wonderful guy and a wonderful drummer, but it's not the same.   I STILL watch every "Making Of..." doc for the TA/FC/NMB albums, just to watch Portnoy play even in practice, even in the studio. I can't explain it, it's just what I like.  It just strikes a chord with me.

I could be thinking too much into it, but current DT feels like a awesome band. Old DT felt like a bunch of childhood buddies who happened to be some of the best in the world on their instruments. It comes through on stage.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2021, 05:51:53 AM »
I can't help but feel that this question being asked every few years is a bit disrespectful to MM. I know I'm reaching here, but I think a lot of people only see one side of this reunion (MP joining) & not the other (MM leaving), & I think that implies that his presence is just an absence of something else, rather than an actual contribution to the band. It's fine if you don't like him, but just say that instead of ignoring him.

I don't think this is true at all.  I know I have my preference - I've stated it - and there is not a SHRED of disrespect for Mike Mangini in any of it.  And if asked I would state my position to him face-to-face. It's part of the gig.   You don't replace a founding member like that without some acknowledgement that the discussion is going to be had.   The list of people in that position - Dio (twice), Nielson, Morse, Bayley, Hagar, Thayer, Singer, Davison, Howe, Hogarth, Powell, Belew, Wilson - is as long as my arm, and it's INEVITABLE that the question would arise.   I think it's denying reality to expect otherwise (not saying you are doing that).  Now, HOW you answer may be a different matter, but just asking the question is not in and of itself disrespectful.

I think it's a mistake, generally, to view these things in such a binary light.   I LOVE Sammy Hagar.  I have (almost) all his solo stuff, and greatly look forward to his new work with The Circle.  Love the guy, love the musician.  Saw him in a little club with Chickenfoot and it was amazing. Having said that, when I think Van Halen, I think "Dave Roth".   That doesn't minimize my feelings for Hagar even one iota.  We're ALLOWED to have two different, sometimes competing, feelings.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 05:58:47 AM by Stadler »

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2021, 06:28:20 AM »
* - Mangini leaves DT for health reasons.

* - Portnoy waits by the phone.

* - Petrucci calls

* - " Hi Mike - as you know mangini left the band. "

* - " yes I heard. thank you for phoning me ! "

* - " No problem - just wanna ask.. Would you have any problem at all...

* - " Yes?!?!...."

* - " To us hiring Thomas Lang ?! "

Just reading through this thread and this gave me a good laugh.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2021, 07:46:12 AM »

Sort of a side discussion, but JR  was born in 1956. How many more album cycle and tours does he have in him? JLB's voice is getting more strained every year.

I wonder if this was taken into account when they decided to tour with an opener this year.  I got to imagine it helps their health and bodies to not play such long sets every night.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2021, 08:33:49 AM »
Given that Sons of Apollo is there to satiate MP's need for playing progressive metal and LTE provides an outlet for MP wanting to play with some of his DT bandmates, plus how he seems to have a fairly sizable amount of input within his different projects... there would be absolutely no feasible chance of MP coming back. I've seen some comments suggesting that MM might be frustrated with his position in the band, but honestly that feels like an issue of confirmation bias. Sure, he's expressed dissatisfaction with certain aspects, but he seems as passionate as ever and by all accounts, is actually more integrated than before. I've said this before, but I'm pretty sure that with each year that's gone by since MP's departure, the chances of him coming back diminish. This lineup will soon be the longest running one in DT's history and I'd also wager that it's the most stable, with drama seeimingly kept to a minimum. I'm actually surprised people are suggesting that MP would come back for a one-off show as well. I feel like it'd be tokenistic at best.

This also isn't the same thing as an Iron Maiden or Judas Priest esque situation in regards to their singer shifts because let's face it, even though much of DT's fanbase to appear to be people who notice the difference between the drummers, the amount of people who it's a dealbreaker for doesn't seem to me to be a drastic amount. What with 6.7 million views (not to mention 8 million streams on Spotify) for a track like Untethered Angel and Distance Over Time being the best charting DT album (not to mention the only two Grammy nominations being for songs in the MM era)... I don't think getting MP back would be quite the shrewd business move that some are making it out to be. If interest in the band absolutely tanked during the MM era then maybe I could see it happening, but it didn't.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2021, 08:45:40 AM »
Well, when you're new here and it's been nearly 11 years since MP left, you might want to consider that this subject has been beaten to death more than enough times.  Way more actually.  The only scenario I see having even the slightest of a remote possibility of MP's return would be if something happened to MM.  Even then, it might not happen.  As long as MM is fully capable (which he most certainly is), he'll continue to be the man behind the kit.

Believe me, I'm not "new". Not by a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG shot! As others have said, time heals all wounds (well, obviously not) and I was just curious how members felt 10+ years on, that's all.

It's obvious you're new here.  With less than a 100 posts and for some reason can't put multiple quotes into one post.  Noob.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2021, 09:01:31 AM »
Well, when you're new here and it's been nearly 11 years since MP left, you might want to consider that this subject has been beaten to death more than enough times.  Way more actually.  The only scenario I see having even the slightest of a remote possibility of MP's return would be if something happened to MM.  Even then, it might not happen.  As long as MM is fully capable (which he most certainly is), he'll continue to be the man behind the kit.

Believe me, I'm not "new". Not by a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG shot!

You literally registered your account 5 days ago.  :lol
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2021, 09:05:49 AM »

I have 234,671 posts; I can register a new account this afternoon if I wanted to.  Doesn't make me "new" here.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2021, 09:09:17 AM »

I have 234,671 posts; I can register a new account this afternoon if I wanted to.  Doesn't make me "new" here.
Good point.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2021, 09:21:41 AM »
This also isn't the same thing as an Iron Maiden or Judas Priest esque situation in regards to their singer shifts because let's face it, even though much of DT's fanbase to appear to be people who notice the difference between the drummers, the amount of people who it's a dealbreaker for doesn't seem to me to be a drastic amount. What with 6.7 million views (not to mention 8 million streams on Spotify) for a track like Untethered Angel and Distance Over Time being the best charting DT album (not to mention the only two Grammy nominations being for songs in the MM era)... I don't think getting MP back would be quite the shrewd business move that some are making it out to be. If interest in the band absolutely tanked during the MM era then maybe I could see it happening, but it didn't.

I agree with all of this, no disrespect to Portnoy and his legacy with the band, but his eventual return would be nowhere near the other big reunions involving singers. It's 20 years that I follow DT and they always play the same  venue (that Iron Maiden sell out in a day), sometimes there's more people, sometimes less, but there's never been a dramatic drop in attendance. DT's fanbase is that one, give or take, and Portony's return wouldn't be a...... paradigm shift. It would surely have a positive effect, but come on, it wouldn't be nowhere near Bruce or Rob's returns, or even half of that.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2021, 09:32:45 AM »

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?action=profile;u=12367
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2021, 09:34:12 AM »

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2021, 09:35:27 AM »
I'm actually surprised people are suggesting that MP would come back for a one-off show as well. I feel like it'd be tokenistic at best.

Why would this be surprising? He seems to be in good personal relationships with the band and he himself was big on getting past DT members to perform with the band previously. I could totally see the band bringing him back to play like Metropolis at the final DT show for example. I kind of doubt they'd do a full show with him, but I could see similar with Charlie and Derek as well. It seems totally within the realm of what the band has done in the past.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2021, 09:36:10 AM »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2021, 09:40:04 AM »
Imposter!!!!  :) :) :)

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2021, 09:52:05 AM »
Why would this be surprising? He seems to be in good personal relationships with the band and he himself was big on getting past DT members to perform with the band previously. I could totally see the band bringing him back to play like Metropolis at the final DT show for example. I kind of doubt they'd do a full show with him, but I could see similar with Charlie and Derek as well. It seems totally within the realm of what the band has done in the past.

Somewhat ironically, I can only really see it as the kind of thing MP would do himself if he was still in the band. I also somewhat doubt that the logistics would make it worth doing. I feel like it's easier to get another keyboard or microphone on stage than it is an entire drum kit... which, mind you, is massive for both MM and MP. Plus, even this I feel is a bit of a slap in the face to Mike Mangini if one of the main attactions of the show (and presumably the bookending of DT's legacy) is a drummer who's no longer in the band. I think MM deserves to have the proverbial final word on that if he ends up being the last drummer the band has.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2021, 10:00:50 AM »
What we really need is for LTE to open for DT on the next tour. Everybody wins.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2021, 10:06:30 AM »

Except JLB...lol

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline pg1067

« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2021, 10:23:27 AM »
Can't believe we're beating this dead horse again.

I voted zero because that's the closest option, but I don't really think it's zero.  It's certainly POSSIBLE that, if MM decides to leave of his own accord, MP might rejoin, but think the chances are minute at best.

The other thing to keep in mind is that, even if the other four band members and MP all wanted him to come back, they'd also have to agree on the terms.  I doubt very much that any of the current members would want MP to come back with the same role and responsibilities that he previously had.

...and one of those stipulations would probably be that he would never play Mangini era songs. He has made some comments to that effect about understanding why Sherinian wouldn't want to play Rudess songs. John comes across as a pretty humble dude but I don't think he would ever be willing to erase a decade plus worth of material where he was the indisputable leader of the band.

But yeah, I feel there is a less than 10% chance it happens.

If, in fact, the other four guys wanted him back and he wanted to come back but only with a stipulation that he not play MM-era songs, then he'll NEVER come back.  No way in hell would the other four guys agree to that.  It's not like DT is Maiden or Priest, where the singer left shortly after the band's peak and was only gone for two albums.  There will be at least 5 albums and 15 years, which is a full third of the band's career.  No way; no how.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 10:28:58 AM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2021, 10:23:55 AM »
No disrespect to Portnoy but hopefully never.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2021, 10:32:25 AM »
This lineup will soon be the longest running one in DT's history and I'd also wager that it's the most stable, with drama seeimingly kept to a minimum.

I never thought of it this way. The previous lineup lasted about 11 years and this lineup is coming up on the 11 year mark.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2021, 10:38:33 AM »

:tup

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2021, 10:53:38 AM »

The question is not whether it is possible to do this, but why? Why create a new account to come brandishing the MP flag in a new DT cycle?

It's pathetic. But it's been "DT world" for more then ten years....

Online Trav86

« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2021, 11:03:51 AM »

Except JLB...lol

B.Lee

He doesn’t have to be in a band with MP. For him, that’s probably a win.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2021, 12:43:57 PM »
I'm actually surprised people are suggesting that MP would come back for a one-off show as well. I feel like it'd be tokenistic at best.

It’s a little different with Charlie and Derek as they only did short stints in the band.  Mike is a founder member and, in his time there, he was the driving force of the band, he never wanted DT to exist without him.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2021, 12:55:15 PM »

Except JLB...lol

B.Lee

Would JLB stand behind the back line for the LTE set too?  Or just most of the DT set?   I KID!  I KID!

(I really do kid; I'm a JLB fan, he's why I FIRST got into the band and I can't imagine liking DT without James singing.)   

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #104 on: August 03, 2021, 01:01:40 PM »
JLB can chat with JM during the LTE set, if that's possible.