13 (7.5%)
50% It's possible, I certainly hope so
24 (13.9%)
25% If Roth could return to VH, anything is possible
54 (31.2%)
0% Will NEVER happen
71 (41%)

Total Members Voted: 173

Author Topic: YOUR pct of chances that MP EVER returns to DT  (Read 14977 times)

Offline DTwwbwMP

Re: YOUR pct of chances that MP EVER returns to DT
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2021, 07:10:59 PM »
Mangini is a very nice human being and I would never want to see a scenario where he was let go. If he decided to move to something different, or, if his health were an issue, I would love to see MP back in the band.

PERFECTLY said :tup

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2021, 07:12:01 PM »
* - Mangini leaves DT for health reasons.

* - Portnoy waits by the phone.

* - Petrucci calls

* - " Hi Mike - as you know mangini left the band. "

* - " yes I heard. thank you for phoning me ! "

* - " No problem - just wanna ask.. Would you have any problem at all...

* - " Yes?!?!...."

* - " To us hiring Thomas Lang ?! "

Obviously for whatever reason you have an issue with MP. Stay classy please.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2021, 07:14:02 PM »
Well, when you're new here and it's been nearly 11 years since MP left, you might want to consider that this subject has been beaten to death more than enough times.  Way more actually.  The only scenario I see having even the slightest of a remote possibility of MP's return would be if something happened to MM.  Even then, it might not happen.  As long as MM is fully capable (which he most certainly is), he'll continue to be the man behind the kit.

Believe me, I'm not "new". Not by a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG shot! As others have said, time heals all wounds (well, obviously not) and I was just curious how members felt 10+ years on, that's all.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2021, 07:15:39 PM »
I give it a 50/50 shot.

JP or anyone else in the band saying "This is the DT lineup till the end," or whatever is completely irrelevant.  What are they supposed to say, "Well, I am sure we will have to replace someone again at some point, but we'll have fun for now." :lol :lol

Mangini's frustration always seems so evident that it feels like it is a matter of time before he bails, and if/when that happens, I suspect Petrucci and Rudess will make a hard push to get Portnoy back, with LaBrie being the wild card. 

As others have said, I doubt Petrucci and the others will let Portnoy come back and run the show like he did before, but I think Portnoy would so desperately want back in the band that he'd be okay with certain (not all) concessions to get back in.

Another very intelligent post.  :tup

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2021, 07:19:18 PM »
You know what, I never really was bothered when MP left and MM came in.  As a guitarist, it didn't really bother me.  I was just happy it worked out for the band.  ADTOE and TA IMO were average (TA being horrible) yet the self titled would be a top 5 DT album for me.  DOT was a great listen too.

However, as time goes on, my view has kind of changed.  I've been watching some old clips and damn, with MP they were a special unit.  Shows like Score and Budokan are just amazing and for me, there is just something missing with MM in there for me.  I know that has nothing to do with this thread, but I've never really said that before, but as I was watching these clips I actually thought, 'If MP came back, I wouldn't be mad at all.'  MM is a wonderful drummer and seems like a great fella, but I've just never really found much to like about him to be honest.  He has just been the adequate fill in that can play these songs really well.  Doesn't have that special something MP had.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2021, 07:24:10 PM »
You know what, I never really was bothered when MP left and MM came in.  As a guitarist, it didn't really bother me.  I was just happy it worked out for the band.  ADTOE and TA IMO were average (TA being horrible) yet the self titled would be a top 5 DT album for me.  DOT was a great listen too.

However, as time goes on, my view has kind of changed.  I've been watching some old clips and damn, with MP they were a special unit.  Shows like Score and Budokan are just amazing and for me, there is just something missing with MM in there for me.  I know that has nothing to do with this thread, but I've never really said that before, but as I was watching these clips I actually thought, 'If MP came back, I wouldn't be mad at all.'  MM is a wonderful drummer and seems like a great fella, but I've just never really found much to like about him to be honest.  He has just been the adequate fill in that can play these songs really well.  Doesn't have that special something MP had.

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2021, 07:28:16 PM »
I thought that when typing to be honest.  :lol

Offline PetFish

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2021, 07:38:59 PM »
I don't know about this new guy asking for a nice and "classy" discussion with a user name so obviously biased for MP who doesn't like answers that don't align with her/his bias but loves ones that do align with his/her bias.

Also, OP claims to be not new, but then s/he would know how much this topic has been hammered.

Kotowboy's joke was funny, which we all get, but cuz it's against MP OP thinks he's not being "classy".

Max's post wasn't forceful at all.  No yelling or anything.  Just a basic opinion.

My answer:

Full-time:  1%
Part-time:  0%
Special Occasion/Final Show:  100%

I think MP will definitely play with DT again in some capacity, most likely as a guest drummer at a special show.

As for returning full-time, there's just too many variables.  The only way it might happen is if Mangini has to step away permanently.  But then there's also the fractured relationship with James to consider and if James says "no way" would DT dump him to bring MP back.  His relationship with JM seems to be better but we don't really know.  We only really know everything is fine with JR and JP.

Also, would MP refuse to play any songs that DT wrote since he left?

If Mangini has to step away for, say, surgery, then I'd bet they'd bring in a temporary drummer who isn't MP until Mangini can play again cuz as soon as they go "MP will cover for MM until he's better" that would pretty much be the end for Mangini and really not fair nor nice at all.

I really don't see a full-time return happening.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2021, 07:44:08 PM »
I can't help but feel that this question being asked every few years is a bit disrespectful to MM. I know I'm reaching here, but I think a lot of people only see one side of this reunion (MP joining) & not the other (MM leaving), & I think that implies that his presence is just an absence of something else, rather than an actual contribution to the band. It's fine if you don't like him, but just say that instead of ignoring him.

If MP rejoins & MM leaves, fine, but I don't think the band are in a position where it needs to happen unless MM leaves of his own volition.

I voted 0%.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 07:57:45 PM by IDontNotDoThings »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2021, 07:59:52 PM »
The OP is a riot. Attacking every answer he doesn’t agree with, even funny and well-reasoned ones.

JP was dead serious when he said this was the final iteration of the band, it wasn’t just ear candy.

OP, hope you’re paying attention: HE’S NOT COMING BACK. 0%.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2021, 08:03:02 PM »
I can't help but feel that this question being asked every few years is a bit disrespectful to MM. I know I'm reaching here, but I think a lot of people only see one side of this reunion (MP joining) & not the other (MM leaving), & I think that implies that his presence is just an absence of something else, rather than an actual contribution to the band. It's fine if you don't like him, but just say that instead of ignoring him.

If MP rejoins & MM leaves, fine, but I don't think the band are in a position where it needs to happen unless MM leaves of his own volition.

I voted 0%.

Same thing could be said about every reunion ever of any big band really.  Happens all the time and 9 times out of 10 the replacement is the lower, just the nature of the business especially if you are stepping in to a well known name or band.  There are exceptions of course like Bruce and Adrian returning for Maiden but Janick staying on, and of course what we are seeing with Helloween which is quite remarkable.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2021, 08:27:15 PM »
I think a better question would be: YOUR pct of chances that this thread will be locked? :lol

There's just no point of discussing this over and over again, specially if the OP is heavily biased.

Having said that, I'll share some of my thoughts:

- DT are about to release a new studio album, their 5th already with MM. That's more albums with Mangini than Moore, Sherinian and Dominici combined. There's a tour coming very soon too, so no MM quitting anytime soon. Continually bringing this up is disrespectful to MM.

- I think most of us love MP as a musician/drummer but can tell he definitely has some ego issues (sorry if this sounds disrespectful, that's not my intention here). There's NO WAY he would return to the band *HE* helped create, with *HIS* father naming the band, and not having his way of doing things again: no click track, no backing vocals/extra sounds being piped in, etc. This is completely different to playing on JP's album as a session drummer o reforming LTE where there was never another drummer attached to the band.

- IMO, MM will only be replaced if he leaves by his own will or if he has some health issues, which I hope never happens to any of the members.

- JLB and MP don't get along AT ALL, as James implied in a very recent interview when he was asked about MP reuniting with JP for his solo album. I know James gets a lot of hate too, but the rest of the band seem to be very happy with him. Would they risk losing half of their lineup (James and Mike M) just to bring Mike P back? Don't think so. Would most of the fanbase accept a new singer just because they ditched James? Not too sure either.

- Something I would LOVE to see happen, but don't really see happening, is DT doing something similar like Spock's Beard did for Snow Live in 2016. They played two special shows with their current lineup + Neal and Nick as a 7 piece band. They even played all together on a 20 minute epic released for their compilation album. Could current DT + let's say MP and Derek do something similar as a one-off thing, like they did Metropolis with Charlie on WDADR?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2021, 08:27:53 PM »

I voted 0%.

Same thing could be said about every reunion ever of any big band really.  Happens all the time and 9 times out of 10 the replacement is the lower, just the nature of the business especially if you are stepping in to a well known name or band.  There are exceptions of course like Bruce and Adrian returning for Maiden but Janick staying on, and of course what we are seeing with Helloween which is quite remarkable.

I guess so. I think I'm just annoyed that the question comes up out of the blue like this, as if the band made a statement that seemed like they considering replacing him, or that MM's position in the band was in jeopardy just because he's MM & not MP. At that point I feel it'd be more transparent to just say "I don't like MM & I think MP coming back would be better", though that horse has long-since been beaten into the ground already.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2021, 08:29:09 PM »
I think a better question would be: YOUR pct of chances that this thread will be locked? :lol

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2021, 08:38:16 PM »
For him to become a DT member again would not only require MM to step down, but also for JLB to be good with it.

Agreed on the Mangini point and I believe for MP to return as a full time member, MM would have to "step down". Something like his going back to teaching to be around his family more. The JLB point is less imo, because I think A) JP calls the shots & B) JLB "COULD" be replaced. He's not getting any younger.

JLB's recent struggles are pretty obvious, and I don't see his voice magically trending upward again given his age, but there is no way Petrucci would fire him.  JLB has been a loyal and, by all accounts, great bandmate, and I do not think JP would do him like that. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2021, 08:54:47 PM »
For him to become a DT member again would not only require MM to step down, but also for JLB to be good with it.

Agreed on the Mangini point and I believe for MP to return as a full time member, MM would have to "step down". Something like his going back to teaching to be around his family more. The JLB point is less imo, because I think A) JP calls the shots & B) JLB "COULD" be replaced. He's not getting any younger.

JLB's recent struggles are pretty obvious, and I don't see his voice magically trending upward again given his age, but there is no way Petrucci would fire him.  JLB has been a loyal and, by all accounts, great bandmate, and I do not think JP would do him like that.

And he's already been in the band longer and is in more albums than MP. This year marks James' 30th anniversary with the band + the release of his 14th studio album with them.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2021, 09:29:01 PM »

I voted 0%.

I guess so. I think I'm just annoyed that the question comes up out of the blue like this, as if the band made a statement that seemed like they considering replacing him, or that MM's position in the band was in jeopardy just because he's MM & not MP. At that point I feel it'd be more transparent to just say "I don't like MM & I think MP coming back would be better", though that horse has long-since been beaten into the ground already.

I agree, even though I put my opinions out there, the question doesn't need to be asked.  The band wouldn't think about it, so why should we.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2021, 09:30:58 PM »
How spectacular, an unprecedented discussion.

If anyone can shoot me in the head, I appreciate it.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2021, 09:33:14 PM »

I agree.  JP has always seemed to back his singer no matter what struggles he's had on the stage.

I hope moving forward, the band can just transition towards narrowing the choices of songs they play that cater to James. Might mean not playing some classics and even playing some more less favoured and deep cuts, but would make it a more positive show for James and the audience IMO.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2021, 09:34:04 PM »

That escalated rather quickly.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2021, 09:51:23 PM »

However, as time goes on, my view has kind of changed.  I've been watching some old clips and damn, with MP they were a special unit.  Shows like Score and Budokan are just amazing and for me, there is just something missing with MM in there for me.  I know that has nothing to do with this thread, but I've never really said that before, but as I was watching these clips I actually thought, 'If MP came back, I wouldn't be mad at all.'  MM is a wonderful drummer and seems like a great fella, but I've just never really found much to like about him to be honest.  He has just been the adequate fill in that can play these songs really well. Doesn't have that special something MP had.

That's exactly it. Mangini is not Mike Portnoy. What people miss is Portnoy. Portnoy brings a different type of mindset with any project he does. This is due to MP's mindset not being the usual Musicians Mindset. Portnoy has a Fan mindset that he has kept since he first started Majesty with JP and JM. Being a Fan Mindset, one of his main concerns being a musician is to think "What would I as a fan of the band want?" and he gives us these things, in a way he kind of spoils us with these things.

And when he left, all this left with him. That fan mindset left the band. Introduced into the band is a mindset that is new and he knows his place within the band as the new guy, and I think he deserves full recognition as a full time member of Dream Theater. Mangini has a very different mindset than Portnoy, and he shows it through his discussions, the way he plays, and the things he does within the band. One thing he does is control what and how the click tracks each band member hears and how it goes.

What changed when Portnoy left was the Catering and Care that Portnoys Fan Mindset brought to us all. This left Dream Theater and now the band as an entity is not as fan catering as much anymore. And unfortunately no one else besides Portnoy has that mindset or concern and care for the fans in the same amount that Portnoy does for his fans.

I would not mind one bit if Portnoy came back to the band somehow. I would be disappointed if Mangini were to leave for whatever reason as I do enjoy his drumming. I doubt that will ever happen though, and if anything it would be a one-off type of show that would be a retirement farewell show.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2021, 10:14:30 PM »

However, as time goes on, my view has kind of changed.  I've been watching some old clips and damn, with MP they were a special unit.  Shows like Score and Budokan are just amazing and for me, there is just something missing with MM in there for me.  I know that has nothing to do with this thread, but I've never really said that before, but as I was watching these clips I actually thought, 'If MP came back, I wouldn't be mad at all.'  MM is a wonderful drummer and seems like a great fella, but I've just never really found much to like about him to be honest.  He has just been the adequate fill in that can play these songs really well. Doesn't have that special something MP had.

That's exactly it. Mangini is not Mike Portnoy. What people miss is Portnoy. Portnoy brings a different type of mindset with any project he does. This is due to MP's mindset not being the usual Musicians Mindset. Portnoy has a Fan mindset that he has kept since he first started Majesty with JP and JM. Being a Fan Mindset, one of his main concerns being a musician is to think "What would I as a fan of the band want?" and he gives us these things, in a way he kind of spoils us with these things.

And when he left, all this left with him. That fan mindset left the band. Introduced into the band is a mindset that is new and he knows his place within the band as the new guy, and I think he deserves full recognition as a full time member of Dream Theater. Mangini has a very different mindset than Portnoy, and he shows it through his discussions, the way he plays, and the things he does within the band. One thing he does is control what and how the click tracks each band member hears and how it goes.

What changed when Portnoy left was the Catering and Care that Portnoys Fan Mindset brought to us all. This left Dream Theater and now the band as an entity is not as fan catering as much anymore. And unfortunately no one else besides Portnoy has that mindset or concern and care for the fans in the same amount that Portnoy does for his fans.

I would not mind one bit if Portnoy came back to the band somehow. I would be disappointed if Mangini were to leave for whatever reason as I do enjoy his drumming. I doubt that will ever happen though, and if anything it would be a one-off type of show that would be a retirement farewell show.

I have never heard this before in relation to his 'mindset.'  Has he said this before somewhere?  I wouldn't say the band now don't have a mindset geared towards their fans though.  I just meant more his character, attitude, stage presence and drumming in comparison to MM.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2021, 10:14:43 PM »

DTwwbwMP is’nt new as he spread out, but a member from the past (under a false/ new name). Obviously has some scars, as Portnoy has. Perhaps hoping to see opinions have changed, the points of view cristalyzed over time. He even said ‘time obviously does not heal all wounds” so there’s a lot of misery involved. Hoping for scenes from a memory.

I didn’t vote ‘cause it feels disrespectful to the man who was the best on earth to fill the void Portnoy left behind. Not only extremely talented, but much more easy in contact, less ego and far more willing to picture the sum of individuals, insteed of forcing own visions through. Portnoy was brilliant but I believe there’s more ballance and peace since he left.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2021, 10:24:54 PM »

DTwwbwMP is’nt new as he spread out, but a member from the past (under a false/ new name). Obviously has some scars, as Portnoy has. Perhaps hoping to see opinions have changed, the points of view cristalyzed over time. He even said ‘time obviously does not heal all wounds” so there’s a lot of misery involved. Hoping for scenes from a memory.

Well let's not try to psychoanalyse someone we don't know. I still don't agree with what they've said, but I'll leave it at that.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2021, 10:29:08 PM »

That escalated rather quickly.

Geez, not what I was going for. For the record, I LOVE Mike Mangini. I guess sometimes curiosity can kill the cat.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2021, 10:30:05 PM »
Well let's not try to psychoanalyse someone we don't know. I still don't agree with what they've said, but I'll leave it at that.

Funny, with your nickname.

I don’t analyse him but sum up what he’ve said in his own posts.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2021, 10:53:24 PM »
Just some insight......
1) Been HUGE DT fan since 1992
2) I'm 61 years of age
3) Favorite band of all time is QUEEN
4) Favorite musician of all time IS Mike Portnoy
5) This thread was truly out of curiosity (10+ years on)
6) Have loved MM since the first time I saw him play ('93 w EXTREME) and was THRILLED when he was the chosen replacement
7) I'll admit, since MP left, the only album I've loved by DT was "A Dramatic Turn of Events" and have been less than thrilled with all the live shows (doesn't mean they weren't good. Just not GREAT as they had been.....in MY opinion)
8) Have seen EVERY DT tour (US) since 1992
9) I ABSOLUTELY have NO axe to grind (if I did I would have stayed away after my LONGGGGGGGG vacation)
10) If MP never comes back to DT I'm completely OK with that (I'm completely happy with everything he is doing away from DT)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2021, 11:06:24 PM »
Doesn't have that special something MP had.

When it comes right down to it, this is it for me. I've thought about it a lot over the years with each new album released since his departure. He was the secret sauce. The special ingredient. But I can respect the opinion of those who are happy he's no longer in the band.

Never say never, folks. Never say never.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online Lupton

« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2021, 11:19:49 PM »

I voted 0%.

How does the last Kansas album fit into this?  :P

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2021, 11:26:42 PM »

When it comes right down to it, this is it for me. I've thought about it a lot over the years with each new album released since his departure. He was the secret sauce. The special ingredient. But I can respect the opinion of those who are happy he's no longer in the band.

I think I finally just realised that myself lately.  Being more a Petrucci fanboy, I dismissed MP leaving as no big deal and would have minimal impact, but for me, after so many years, I think it is a pretty big deal and quite a void he's left behind.  Also, no knock on MM, I've never had a bad thing to say about him.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2021, 02:27:04 AM »
At one time, I would’ve said 100% that he’d be back some day.  The fact that he’s now done the Petrucci solo record and LTE and he’s still not back has given me some pause for thought.  Also the fact that the reunion of JP, JR and MP in LTE didn’t seem to make that much of a splash, I wonder if his return to DT would really give them that much of a bump.  I’m down to 50% and, after the slightly disappointing recent TA and LTE reunions, I’m ok if it doesn’t happen.  Not saying those albums are bad at all, they just didn’t quite live up to my ridiculously excited expectations.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2021, 02:36:30 AM »

How do you feel about the last few albums released before his departure?

Offline emtee

« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2021, 02:45:17 AM »
Sort of a side discussion, but JR  was born in 1956. How many more album cycle and tours does he have in him? JLB's voice is getting more strained every year.

I think the most likely scenario is that DT calls it a day...hard to imagine but nothing lasts forever. This provides an opportunity for a peaceful dissolution where nobody gets fired and relationships stay in good standing.

MP and JP (and possibly JM) form a new band and get a new vocalist and keyboard player.

Or I could be totally wrong, which is probably the case :)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2021, 03:14:05 AM »
Sort of a side discussion, but JR  was born in 1956. How many more album cycle and tours does he have in him? JLB's voice is getting more strained every year.

*shrug*

It's 10 years at least that people are considering Jordan's age. He has not the most physically demanding role in the band, and as far as the public can see, he's as passionate about his craft as ever.

Then maybe for all we know he's tired of the lifestyle and next year he will retire to a private life, but..... if he's happy (and all public / social media interaction, for what it's worth, point in that direction) and he doesn't have to drum for 3 hours each night, he could very well play and tour for at least another 10 years or more.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2021, 03:20:02 AM »
If Dream Theater decided to end - i can't see JP wanting to start a brand new band right away and start at the bottom again.