13 (7.5%)
50% It's possible, I certainly hope so
24 (13.9%)
25% If Roth could return to VH, anything is possible
54 (31.2%)
0% Will NEVER happen
71 (41%)

Total Members Voted: 173

Author Topic: YOUR pct of chances that MP EVER returns to DT  (Read 15016 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: YOUR pct of chances that MP EVER returns to DT
« Reply #245 on: August 11, 2021, 07:57:11 AM »
GUYS ITS SO EASY

Mike Portnoy : Toms Bass and Snare

Mike Mangini : Cymbals

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #246 on: August 11, 2021, 10:09:00 AM »
I know John mentioned in 2011 that the current line up will not change. So that's that then.

Got link?
yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0su0n0CBXsg
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #247 on: August 11, 2021, 10:31:17 AM »
Not to argue, just offer another level of fact, in 2011, I:

- said I would never get divorced (I'm since divorced and remarried);
- said I would never leave Philly (I've moved from Philly to Erie, then to Connecticut, then once in Connecticut I've lived in four places);
- said I would never take a student loan for my daughter (I have);
- said I would drive my current car - a BMW X3 - until it failed (I have not; I gave it to my daughter, temporarily, and have in the last week put it up for sale);
- said I would never leave GE again (I have; I now work for a global transportation company)

I'm sure there are others.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #248 on: August 11, 2021, 10:34:35 AM »
I know John mentioned in 2011 that the current line up will not change. So that's that then.

Got link?

He did not say, "the current line up will not change."  He was responding to questions, and we didn't get to hear the questions, and this was at a time when there was a LOT of stuff going on, such as MP starting litigation and publicly saying that he wanted back in.  What JP said was that MM was a full member and that he'd "like to think" the then-current lineup would ever change.  He also acknowledged that, if the same (unknown) question had been asked before MP left, he'd have given the same answer.  That's a far cry from "the current line up will not change."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #249 on: August 11, 2021, 10:36:42 AM »

Got link?

It's been AGES since I've seen that clip.  But, yeah, it's about how I remembered it, and how others have described.  To paraphrase, it's essentially:  "Mike Mangini is a permanent member of DT, and we have no intention of that ever changing.  But you never know what's going to happen in the future." 

And in line with that last line, JP even says that if you asked him whether the previous lineup with Portnoy was the permanent lineup in perpetuity, that he would have said yes, obviously not knowing that things were going to change and Portnoy was going to leave.

I think the important thing to keep in mind is that, as I, and Kev, and some others have said, they have expressed that, when they brought in Mangini, their intent was to have him join as a full member and not a temporary hired gun.  They had, and do not have, any intention of looking for a replacement.  But that doesn't mean that things don't change.  He could decide to leave on his own.  Or he could be asked to step down.  And if that happened and the band wanted to continue, they would consider replacements.  Depending on how everyone involved feels, that could be Portnoy.  Or it could be someone else.  And the result could likely look very different depending on the timing and circumstances, were Mangini ever to exit the band for any reason.

EDIT:  Or what PG and Stadler said--although my post was much more eloquent than theirs, so you can feel free to disregard theirs and read mine only, and just "+1" it twice.  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #250 on: August 11, 2021, 10:39:55 AM »
EDIT:  Or what PG and Stadler said--although my post was much more eloquent than theirs, so you can feel free to disregard theirs and read mine only, and just "+1" it twice.  :biggrin:

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: August 11, 2021, 10:46:19 AM »
I feel like mine had the human touch to it.

:) :) :) :) :)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #252 on: August 11, 2021, 10:58:07 AM »
GUYS ITS SO EASY

I’d switch those. Mangini’s fills are way more interesting, but nobody makes a pair of hi-hats sing like Portnoy.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #253 on: August 11, 2021, 11:43:07 AM »
GUYS ITS SO EASY

I’d switch those. Mangini’s fills are way more interesting, but nobody makes a pair of hi-hats sing like Portnoy.

Not just the hi-hats.  Portnoy's cymbal work in general is really cool and creative. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #254 on: August 11, 2021, 12:03:39 PM »
But would he be able to reach high enough to play them is the real question?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #255 on: August 11, 2021, 12:23:20 PM »

This feels like height shaming...

:P :P

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #256 on: August 11, 2021, 12:31:14 PM »

This feels like height shaming...

:P :P

Cymbal height shaming

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: August 11, 2021, 05:09:00 PM »
Both Mikes are short arses.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #258 on: August 11, 2021, 06:06:10 PM »
GUYS ITS SO EASY

Not just the hi-hats.  Portnoy's cymbal work in general is really cool and creative.

Agree 100%. It’s the thing I love the most about his drumming.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #259 on: August 11, 2021, 10:51:35 PM »
GUYS ITS SO EASY

Counterpoint: Guy Evans from Van Der Graaf Generator

Offline MM

« Reply #260 on: August 12, 2021, 12:28:10 AM »
GUYS ITS SO EASY

Stewart Copeland
Carter Beauford

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #261 on: August 12, 2021, 01:09:20 AM »

- said I would never leave Philly (I've moved from Philly to Erie, then to Connecticut, then once in Connecticut I've lived in four places);
- said I would drive my current car - a BMW X3 - until it failed (I have not; I gave it to my daughter, temporarily, and have in the last week put it up for sale);
- said I would never leave GE again (I have; I now work for a global transportation company)

Damn dude, have you no integrity whatsoever?  :lol
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Eroma

« Reply #262 on: August 12, 2021, 02:59:36 AM »

Just teaches you not to use the word 'Never' so often :-P

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: August 12, 2021, 05:34:17 AM »

Just teaches you not to use the word 'Never' so often :-P

I learned a long time ago, man plans and God laughs.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #264 on: August 12, 2021, 07:19:27 AM »
I've never met MP, but Mangini is fucking TINY.  The first time I met him, I seriously weighed my chances of just putting him in my pocket and taking him home with me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: August 12, 2021, 07:24:09 AM »
I'm just under 5'7" and he looks even shorter than me. I bet if I sat at his kit - the hi hats would be in the normal place for me haha.

No but i'd love to see a really tall drummer sit at Mangini's kit and see how easy it is for him to reach the cymbals.

Edit : i just googled his height just for fun and one site said he is 5'8" which he blatantly isn't. Petrucci maybe.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #266 on: August 12, 2021, 08:16:56 AM »
I've never met MP, but Mangini is fucking TINY.  The first time I met him, I seriously weighed my chances of just putting him in my pocket and taking him home with me.

I’ve met both and if Portnoy is taller, it’s only an inch. Maybe two.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Trav86

« Reply #267 on: August 12, 2021, 08:19:04 AM »
I'm just under 5'7" and he looks even shorter than me. I bet if I sat at his kit - the hi hats would be in the normal place for me haha.

No but i'd love to see a really tall drummer sit at Mangini's kit and see how easy it is for him to reach the cymbals.

Edit : i just googled his height just for fun and one site said he is 5'8" which he blatantly isn't. Petrucci maybe.

At the show in 2019 I remember looking (drooling over) at his kit before the show and thought the cymbals didn’t seem that crazy. Then once he sat down I realized that they look crazy high because he’s so short.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #268 on: August 12, 2021, 09:19:44 AM »

He is certainly not 5'8". For reference, I am 6'2", and I am about a foot taller than him.

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #269 on: August 12, 2021, 09:36:09 AM »
Yeah, none of them are tall, but I was afraid I might step on Mangini.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #270 on: August 12, 2021, 12:57:47 PM »

You just answered the thread: MP will return to Dream Theater because MM is one of those guys who like to crank up the AC and JP is perpetually chilly and sick of it.

(seriously John, what is up with the sweater AND the jacket :lol)

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #271 on: August 12, 2021, 01:26:23 PM »
GUYS ITS SO EASY

Stewart Copeland
Carter Beauford

I so badly want this to actually be Mike Mangini's shitposting account
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #272 on: August 12, 2021, 05:03:12 PM »
I'll bite. As a long-time DT fan (since 1994), I don't see MP ever rejoining as a member. I can see MP doing a song or two to commemorate an album's anniversary or if DT decides to retire and they do a close-out show. 

I'm thankful MP has patched things up with Rudess, Petrucci, and Myung. The bridge has been burnt with LaBrie. I don't think LaBrie would ever want MP back in the band and if it ever became a possibility for MP to rejoin, LaBrie would be the no vote in the camp.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #273 on: August 12, 2021, 09:14:02 PM »
I'll bite. As a long-time DT fan (since 1994), I don't see MP ever rejoining as a member. I can see MP doing a song or two to commemorate an album's anniversary or if DT decides to retire and they do a close-out show. 

I'm thankful MP has patched things up with Rudess, Petrucci, and Myung. The bridge has been burnt with LaBrie. I don't think LaBrie would ever want MP back in the band and if it ever became a possibility for MP to rejoin, LaBrie would be the no vote in the camp.

If Axl could patch things up with Slash and Duff, I don’t think the Portnoy/LaBrie bridge is completely burnt yet. With that said, unless Mangini leaves on his own accord, the current lineup will stay intact for the foreseeable future.

-MirrorMask

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: August 15, 2021, 11:32:33 AM »

He is certainly not 5'8". For reference, I am 6'2", and I am about a foot taller than him.

Wow this really puts things into perspective. I've only met JP and he was shorter than me but not by much, I didn't realize they were that much shorter.

Offline BlacklistJones

« Reply #275 on: August 17, 2021, 08:12:13 PM »
Full time? Never.

It honestly doesn't make sense, at this point in their career, to rock that boat again. More specifically, a decision like that obviously has to be universally accepted and I don't think everyone in the band would immediately be on board with Portnoy returning - and I think that's glaringly obvious.

Look, I'd be an asshole to assume that I know anything at all when it comes to standing of the relationships between the band members. I don't. I would gamble that things are less tense, since Portnoy's departure, and the big four are more than content with Mangini behind the kit.

I also am willing to gamble that distance and time can make the heart grow fonder. Regardless of the level of tension that existed at the tail-end of Portnoy's tenure with the band, there was a bond that existed for over two decades that created some absolutely incredible memories not only for them but for all of their fans as well. Because of that, I don't think it's insane to believe that Portnoy could join them again, as a one-off, if only for the beautiful nostalgia blast that it would create.

When I say one-off, I would imagine it to be just a random show while on tour - where they are local to Portnoy, schedules work out, etc.

To me, Portnoy isn't the only person that I miss being in Dream Theater. I think every member played a massive role while there - regardless of their length of time in the band. I think it would be awesome to see all of them come back - Kevin, Derek, Charlie - a reunion with all of the buildings block that have made Dream Theater what it is today.

Now THAT would be a treat, for me.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #276 on: August 18, 2021, 08:05:21 PM »
Since we’re talking about heights again, I wanted to point out that David Prater saw JLB as physically intimidating (from the book) and in one interview recently JLB said “I thought I was big until I met Alex Lifeson”. You 6’2” freaks aren’t in touch with reality for normal sized people.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #277 on: August 19, 2021, 02:24:18 AM »
I'm sure DT are pretty happy with where they are, and i guess the new album will also keep the ball rolling in terms of popularity etc.

I can't shake the idea that the whole Inside Out deal with both DT and LTE was some sort of masterplan from the record label to get DT to reunite with MP at some point, but that sounds like a conspiracy theory.

I do like the fact that MM seems more comfortable (and creative) than ever in the band, even if it took 10 years to get to this point.

From a commercial point of view, and given how business oriented most of the members in DT are (especially JP and JR), at least a concert reunion seems almost inevitable.

But i don't see the band replacing MM, unless he decides to leave on his own.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #278 on: August 19, 2021, 06:14:14 AM »
Since we’re talking about heights again, I wanted to point out that David Prater saw JLB as physically intimidating (from the book) and in one interview recently JLB said “I thought I was big until I met Alex Lifeson”. You 6’2” freaks aren’t in touch with reality for normal sized people.
I'm about 6 feet even, and have met the band multiple times.  None of them are physically intimidating, other than JP's beard.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #279 on: August 19, 2021, 06:58:16 AM »
Clearly he felt physically intimidated by how handsome James was. I think it's understandable. Just look at him!