Author Topic: Hypothetically, who could replace James Labrie if he ever left?  (Read 26923 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Hypothetically, who could replace James Labrie if he ever left?
« Reply #210 on: August 24, 2021, 10:38:08 AM »
I know I’m in a huge minority here but Floor Jansen does nothing for me at all in the limited stuff I’ve heard from Nightwish.  I don’t get what all the fuss is about.  She seems more of an Symphonic Opera style singer from what I’ve heard which is not really DT.  I suggested Brittney Slayes as she is more of a rock/metal vocalist.  UTA aren’t really the typical Female Fronted band symphonic band.  They are a metal band with some prog tendencies and she can sing everything from smooth pretty celtic melody to full on Tate screams.  I think she’s versatile enough to do the whole range of DT styles whilst not turning them into your typical female fronted sounding band.

Must ... resist ... spamming thread with Floor videos ...  :lol

Just to be clear - I'd much rather have JLB than her in DT, but if JLB were to be replaced for whatever reason, let's just say I think she should be invited to an audition. :)

She would be foolish to leave NW for DT IMO though.  But we are talking hypothetical, I'd love to see her sing a DT song OOC.

From a financial/mainsteam standpoint, sure, but Nightwish and "permanent lead singer" just don't go well in the same sentence. The'll definitely replace her at some point :lol

That's certainly a good point, but NW are still peaking in their careers where DT are closer to the end.  She will land in another band no problem if NW ever gave her the treatment they gave their previous singers.  She seems to be killin it doing her own thing during the pandemic also.  She doesn't need DT IMO. 

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #211 on: August 24, 2021, 04:16:05 PM »
I know I’m in a huge minority here but Floor Jansen does nothing for me at all in the limited stuff I’ve heard from Nightwish.  I don’t get what all the fuss is about.  She seems more of an Symphonic Opera style singer from what I’ve heard which is not really DT.  I suggested Brittney Slayes as she is more of a rock/metal vocalist.  UTA aren’t really the typical Female Fronted band symphonic band.  They are a metal band with some prog tendencies and she can sing everything from smooth pretty celtic melody to full on Tate screams.  I think she’s versatile enough to do the whole range of DT styles whilst not turning them into your typical female fronted sounding band.

Must ... resist ... spamming thread with Floor videos ...  :lol

Just to be clear - I'd much rather have JLB than her in DT, but if JLB were to be replaced for whatever reason, let's just say I think she should be invited to an audition. :)

She would be foolish to leave NW for DT IMO though.  But we are talking hypothetical, I'd love to see her sing a DT song OOC.

From a financial/mainsteam standpoint, sure, but Nightwish and "permanent lead singer" just don't go well in the same sentence. The'll definitely replace her at some point :lol

I don't think so: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tuomas-holopainen-says-nightwish-would-split-up-if-floor-jansen-left-the-band/
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: August 24, 2021, 09:04:27 PM »
....but Nightwish and "permanent lead singer" just don't go well in the same sentence.

Haha!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline adastra

« Reply #213 on: August 25, 2021, 12:20:15 AM »
Fabio Lione or Andi Deris!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: August 25, 2021, 12:36:55 AM »
Andi Deris would be awesome.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #215 on: August 25, 2021, 07:45:02 AM »
After reading through this thread, it appears I'm in the minorty (at least, in regards to this community) with what I'm about to say, but here it goes.

I still think James sounds great.

Listening to the chorus of 'The Alien,' the first thing I thought was "wow, his voice has so much fullness to it."

I dunno, I suppose if we are measuring vocal prowess with range alone, then perhaps James has lost a step and a half of range, but I'm firmly in the camp of people that measures the quality of vocals based on a myriad of factors, with range being only one ingredient. To my ears, the man sounds amazing. No just 'for his age,' but just in general.

If James left? I'd have little interest in listening to the band. Again, I'm in the minority, but I've said it a dozen times over the past 20 years, to me, James LaBrie is in the same class of vocalists as Freddie and Steve Perry.

Journey moved on, but I'd be lying if I said anything post 'Trial By Fire' resonated with me. I recognize they sound great, but I've listened to Perry's last solo record ten times more than anything Journey has put out in the last 20 years.

And Redemption is another great example. Post-Alder, I just can't get into it. Again, I recognize the band still sounds great with Englund, but it's just not cutting it for me.

In my personal opinion, JLB is sorely underappreciated, and I suspect that if he were no longer a part of DT, it would impact the band more than people are willing to admit. Just my opinion, but I stand by it.

I also appreciate bands that evolve with time. I've posted this recently in another thread, but Robert Plant is a great example of an artist creating vital work well past what many on this board would consider his singing prime. Can Robert sing "Black Dog" in the original key? Hell no. Do I care? Absolutely not. There's so much more to it than hitting certain notes, and Plant has been proving that for decades.

I'm not here to argue with anyone or to try to convince anyone of anything different, but there are times where I feel like this 'Dream Theater' message board is just so bogged down with threads that pick the band apart...especially James. As a self-admitted fanboy, I'm here to say that if James were to leave the band, I'd hope they'd get him back!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #216 on: August 25, 2021, 07:52:26 AM »
Actually, I'm right there with you in that minority (I especially love the Plant reference; I honestly think he's singing the best of his career at this point.  I was never a fan of the screechy blues guy; I love the timbre and inflection of his voice on the records since Dreamland).

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #217 on: August 25, 2021, 07:59:03 AM »
What's nice about Dream Theater compared to other bands (like Metallica), are the sheer number of side-projects that have existed over the years.

I mean, between Flying Colors, Jelly Jam, and Sons of Apollo, I think we've been gifted some pretty interesting vocalist combinations with DT members.

The only person who hasn't really done a full-on 'band' album is JP. Now, would I be interested in hearing JP do a record with a different vocalist, like in the vein of Chickenfoot? Sure.

In fact, I think it would be pretty interesting to hear him in a more dialed-down context, similar to Flying Colors. I'd love to hear JP pull out an acoustic, and bang out something really left of center with someone a little more subdued.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #218 on: August 25, 2021, 08:32:50 AM »
Actually, I'm right there with you in that minority (I especially love the Plant reference; I honestly think he's singing the best of his career at this point.  I was never a fan of the screechy blues guy; I love the timbre and inflection of his voice on the records since Dreamland).
Same (on all counts)
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #219 on: August 25, 2021, 08:37:38 AM »
The other thing about Plant, and I've mentioned this before, is that the Zeppelin albums are amazing documents, even vocally. Sure Plant was generally atrocious live, but isn't that the main JLB criticism?

I don't have any issue with Studio James. He is still amazing on the DT albums. He crushes it on The Astonishing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #220 on: August 25, 2021, 08:38:27 AM »
The other thing about Plant, and I've mentioned this before, is that the Zeppelin albums are amazing documents, even vocally. Sure Plant was generally atrocious live, but isn't that the main JLB criticism?

I don't have any issue with Studio James. He is still amazing on the DT albums. He crushes it on The Astonishing.

Man, I have been pretty brutal on TA, but you are correct there. James is the star of that album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #221 on: August 25, 2021, 08:45:58 AM »

Man, I have been pretty brutal on TA, but you are correct there. James is the star of that album.

I had been saying for years that the two most underutilized weapons in DT's tool kit are James' full range and Jordan's piano. The Astonishing gives us both in spades.
Sure, it's a bit much to get through, but I'd put my Astonishing Abridged up against any DT album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: August 25, 2021, 09:10:38 AM »

After reading through this thread, it appears I'm in the minorty (at least, in regards to this community) with what I'm about to say, but here it goes.

<snip>

I, too, am in that minority.  JLB is really what first attracted me to the band, and is a big part of why I am still a fan all these years later.   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #223 on: August 25, 2021, 09:25:29 AM »
What's nice about Dream Theater compared to other bands (like Metallica), are the sheer number of side-projects that have existed over the years.

I mean, between Flying Colors, Jelly Jam, and Sons of Apollo, I think we've been gifted some pretty interesting vocalist combinations with DT members.

Not to nit pick, but two of those three are not DT side projects.

That said, I'm also in the pro-James camp (even though I recognize he occasionally has rough nights live).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #224 on: August 25, 2021, 09:35:37 AM »

<snip>

I, too, am in that minority.  JLB is really what first attracted me to the band, and is a big part of why I am still a fan all these years later.

I am in agreement with this. If there were no JLB, I am not sure how I would like DT. He is a crucial element for me. I prefer his voice to all those mentioned previously.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #225 on: August 25, 2021, 09:44:13 AM »

Not to nit pick, but two of those three are not DT side projects.

That said, I'm also in the pro-James camp (even though I recognize he occasionally has rough nights live).

You are correct, sir. I should've been more specific...bands featuring current (or former) DT members would have been more accurate ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: August 25, 2021, 10:44:33 AM »

I had been saying for years that the two most underutilized weapons in DT's tool kit are James' full range and Jordan's piano. The Astonishing gives us both in spades.
Sure, it's a bit much to get through, but I'd put my Astonishing Abridged up against any DT album.

Did you ever post that track listing?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #227 on: August 25, 2021, 11:10:36 AM »

Did you ever post that track listing?

The Gift Of Music
Lord Nafaryus
A Savior In The Square
When Your Time Has Come
Act Of Faythe
Three Days
Ravenskill
A Tempting Offer
The X Aspect
A New Beginning
Moment Of Betrayal
Heaven's Cove
The Path That Divides
The Walking Shadow
My Last Farewell
Hymn Of A Thousand Voices

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: August 25, 2021, 11:19:27 AM »
That sucks.

(I'm kidding; I'm going to make a playlist of that this evening).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #229 on: August 25, 2021, 11:22:16 AM »
That sucks.

(I'm kidding; I'm going to make a playlist of that this evening).

YOUR playlist should include everything else that didn't make it! :lol

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #230 on: August 25, 2021, 12:55:10 PM »

<snip>

This. The only reason I listen DT is James LaBrie. I lost my interest for DT over the years because of their musical direction, choices but James is here and I keep listening them, buy albums and go to the concert. James is DT's signature and without him they would lose their identity. His voice got me back in the days and still he is damn great vocalist, especially in the studio. His voice has unique timbre and is recognisable among other rock/metal vocalist.

If there is no James there is no DT for me.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 01:01:11 PM by SeRoX »
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #231 on: August 25, 2021, 02:42:03 PM »
I feel the same way towards a LaBrie replacement that I do towards a replacement for Black Panther - it could happen, but probably won't.

I don't really have any ideas on who could replace him (even though I'd be totally open to it IF LaBrie got to the point where he couldn't do it anymore or left for some reason) but one cool thing I picked up on looking through all these suggestions is that LaBrie ticks a lot of boxes. Some of these suggestions can pull off the "metal" voice, or the operatic voice, or the conviction of it all. But there's few that can do it all like LaBrie does in terms of what fits Dream Theater's style. I agree that his live presence isn't what it once was, but I'm more than happy with it and still thinks he kills it on occasion. Especially on the albums.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #232 on: August 25, 2021, 06:54:16 PM »
I don’t think that many people are suggesting that DT should replace JLB, I’m certainly not.  It’s just a hypothetical “if he left the band, who do you think could be a good replacement?”

I’ve always been a fan of his but not to the point that I would stop listening to DT if he left.  JP is that person for me.  For the first time on the last tour though I found JLB ruined the show with his live performance and that does give me some pause as to whether I shell out to see them next time especially if it involves travel and staying overnight.  I know others have said for years that he has rough nights but I’ve been lucky enough to have never experienced it until the last tour.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #233 on: August 25, 2021, 08:40:00 PM »
I don’t think that many people are suggesting that DT should replace JLB, I’m certainly not.  It’s just a hypothetical “if he left the band, who do you think could be a good replacement?”

I’ve always been a fan of his but not to the point that I would stop listening to DT if he left.  JP is that person for me.  For the first time on the last tour though I found JLB ruined the show with his live performance and that does give me some pause as to whether I shell out to see them next time especially if it involves travel and staying overnight.  I know others have said for years that he has rough nights but I’ve been lucky enough to have never experienced it until the last tour.

Bingo.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #234 on: August 26, 2021, 09:38:17 AM »
I’ve always been a fan of his but not to the point that I would stop listening to DT if he left.

JLB is the only member of DT for whom, if he left, the replacement decision would be make or break in terms of me continuing to be a fan.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #235 on: August 26, 2021, 05:35:35 PM »
Yes, it would need to be a decent replacement, I agree.  I’ve tried lots of metal bands where I switch off the second the singer opens his/her mouth.  JLB was a big reason that I liked DT when I first got into them and they’d need to find another singer that I liked for me to continue listening.