13 (7.5%)
50% It's possible, I certainly hope so
24 (13.9%)
25% If Roth could return to VH, anything is possible
54 (31.2%)
0% Will NEVER happen
71 (41%)

Total Members Voted: 173

Author Topic: YOUR pct of chances that MP EVER returns to DT  (Read 14908 times)

Offline DTwwbwMP

YOUR pct of chances that MP EVER returns to DT
« on: August 02, 2021, 02:45:13 PM »
This should be interesting, but please just let's all be nice. This is not by any means a slight to MM. Just a curiosity.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: YOUR pct of chances that MP EVER returns to DT
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 02:49:19 PM »
I'll bite, since I have no personal dog in this, but I think it's inevitable at some point.   My feelings on it are completely tied to whether it precludes my three favorite Mike Portnoy projects:  Transatlantic, Flying Colors and The Neal Morse Band.   If it cuts down those bands' output, no thanks.   If he can do it all, I'm in.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 03:22:30 PM »
I don't know how many times Petrucci or mangini has said THIS is the Dream Theater lineup until the end and there's not really a chance of Portnoy coming back.

It's like - no matter how many times Noel Gallagher says oasis will 100% never reform as he could never go back to it and it's over. it's in the past . It's finished.

He was miserable in oasis and he's very happy in High Flying Birds.

Oasis fans are still like " nah it'll happen definitely. " and interviewers KEEP asking him and he ALWAYS says "not a chance".

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 03:26:00 PM »
MP re-joining would be the biggest news of both the prog and metal worlds.
It would increase the band's popularity and presence. It would be a good business decision for both parties.
Time also heals all wounds.

Better yet, MP rejoins, and MM stays, kind of an I Ron Maiden move, but with drums. I wouldn't oppose the idea, I think DT would be up to the task, and I could picture a killer album from it.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 03:27:12 PM »
Since the question says "ever returns" which implies just playing a 1 one show.  I voted 100% because it seems like he would certainly be there when the band performs their final show.  If the question was more about being a full time member again, I'd say that's closer to 10-20%.

MP seems to be getting along much better with the members other than JLB so it really seems the door would be open for a special appearance.  For him to become a DT member again would not only require MM to step down, but also for JLB to be good with it. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 03:36:15 PM »
Can't believe we're beating this dead horse again.

I voted zero because that's the closest option, but I don't really think it's zero.  It's certainly POSSIBLE that, if MM decides to leave of his own accord, MP might rejoin, but think the chances are minute at best.

The other thing to keep in mind is that, even if the other four band members and MP all wanted him to come back, they'd also have to agree on the terms.  I doubt very much that any of the current members would want MP to come back with the same role and responsibilities that he previously had.

I don't know how many times Petrucci or mangini has said THIS is the Dream Theater lineup until the end and there's not really a chance of Portnoy coming back.

I'm not sure either one of them has EVER said that (or words to that effect).  It wouldn't be MM's place to comment on that, and all I can remember JP saying is that the current lineup is the current lineup and it would be pointless to discuss future "what ifs."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 03:40:07 PM »
I choose 25% even though I think it's much slimmer than that.

Maybe 5%.....

Coming back for a show or two... yeah I could see that but replacing Mangini...... slim chance. I think it's much more likeley that they audition another drummer instead.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 03:41:09 PM »
I will vote for 3.3333%. Wait! That's not an option? OK nevermind then...

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 03:41:24 PM »
Never, thankfully.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 03:42:22 PM »

I can't recall ever hearing either one of them say that, honestly.

As for the question, I don't really care either way. But I also feel it's inevitable at some point, and my only hope is that Mangini doesn't get fucked.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lupton

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2021, 03:43:04 PM »
I'm sure if MM ever needs to be replaced (heaven forbid!) it will be with another monster inhuman drummer who's happy to play to a click for the entire show.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2021, 03:43:41 PM »

I voted zero because that's the closest option, but I don't really think it's zero.  It's certainly POSSIBLE that, if MM decides to leave of his own accord, MP might rejoin, but think the chances are minute at best.

The other thing to keep in mind is that, even if the other four band members and MP all wanted him to come back, they'd also have to agree on the terms.  I doubt very much that any of the current members would want MP to come back with the same role and responsibilities that he previously had.

I'm not sure either one of them has EVER said that (or words to that effect).  It wouldn't be MM's place to comment on that, and all I can remember JP saying is that the current lineup is the current lineup and it would be pointless to discuss future "what ifs."
I know John mentioned in 2011 that the current line up will not change. So that's that then.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2021, 03:43:50 PM »
Since the question says "ever returns" which implies just playing a 1 one show.

I don't see that implication.  I'd put the chances of a one-off thing much higher than for an actual return to the band, but I don't think it's anything close to 100%.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2021, 03:44:14 PM »
I know John mentioned in 2011 that the current line up will not change. So that's that then.

Got link?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2021, 03:44:52 PM »
It was in a magazine right after MM joined the band. I remember thinking 'well if Mangini is saying there's zero chance of Portnoy returning then it must be true'...

But yeah they've all said it a few times over the years.

-----

I also can't see MP accepting to come back if MM quit - and only have a session drummers role. He'd want to do everything he did before.

Offline emtee

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2021, 03:50:38 PM »
Mangini is a very nice human being and I would never want to see a scenario where he was let go. If he decided to move to something different, or, if his health were an issue, I would love to see MP back in the band.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2021, 03:52:34 PM »
* - Mangini leaves DT for health reasons.

* - Portnoy waits by the phone.

* - Petrucci calls

* - " Hi Mike - as you know mangini left the band. "

* - " yes I heard. thank you for phoning me ! "

* - " No problem - just wanna ask.. Would you have any problem at all...

* - " Yes?!?!...."

* - " To us hiring Thomas Lang ?! "

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2021, 03:52:54 PM »
Mangini is a very nice human being and I would never want to see a scenario where he was let go. If he decided to move to something different, or, if his health were an issue, I would love to see MP back in the band.

I'm the same. If for some reason MM moved on of his on accord, then it has to be MP coming back I would think.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2021, 03:58:02 PM »
Well, when you're new here and it's been nearly 11 years since MP left, you might want to consider that this subject has been beaten to death more than enough times.  Way more actually.  The only scenario I see having even the slightest of a remote possibility of MP's return would be if something happened to MM.  Even then, it might not happen.  As long as MM is fully capable (which he most certainly is), he'll continue to be the man behind the kit.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stantler

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2021, 04:22:58 PM »
Considering MP left of his own volition, there's no way he could come back permanently short of MM leaving of his own accord. I doubt MM would leave for any reason other than health, so the best I think anyone could hope for would be some temporary reunion. Now, I love MM and didn't like that MP left DT, so I'm perfectly fine the way things are.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2021, 04:39:24 PM »

...and one of those stipulations would probably be that he would never play Mangini era songs. He has made some comments to that effect about understanding why Sherinian wouldn't want to play Rudess songs. John comes across as a pretty humble dude but I don't think he would ever be willing to erase a decade plus worth of material where he was the indisputable leader of the band.

But yeah, I feel there is a less than 10% chance it happens.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2021, 04:57:03 PM »
I give it a 50/50 shot.

JP or anyone else in the band saying "This is the DT lineup till the end," or whatever is completely irrelevant.  What are they supposed to say, "Well, I am sure we will have to replace someone again at some point, but we'll have fun for now." :lol :lol

Mangini's frustration always seems so evident that it feels like it is a matter of time before he bails, and if/when that happens, I suspect Petrucci and Rudess will make a hard push to get Portnoy back, with LaBrie being the wild card. 

As others have said, I doubt Petrucci and the others will let Portnoy come back and run the show like he did before, but I think Portnoy would so desperately want back in the band that he'd be okay with certain (not all) concessions to get back in.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2021, 05:02:24 PM »
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2021, 05:18:13 PM »
8.5%.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2021, 05:39:55 PM »
100% that he joins for a show.

0% that he rejoins the band full time.

There is a very real and legal situation that I personally believe makes this fact.

The power dynamics in DT have changed. I would be willing to bet (but I could be wrong) that MM is not an equal partner in DT. In other words, he does not have the percentage of share in the business interests of Dream Theater that JP has…and most likely not as much as what MP once had either.

That being said, in order for MP to rejoin, he would have to either accept a smaller interest in the company that he grew from the beginning, or talk all the rest of the band into legally restructuring it back to the way it was with he and JP being the main drivers of the company.

I can’t imagine either of those two scenarios ever happening.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online HOF

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2021, 06:11:43 PM »

I can't recall ever hearing either one of them say that, honestly.

I don’t know if they have or not, but I do vividly recall them saying after Jordan joined and before MP left that if anyone ever left that would be the end of the band, so it doesn’t really matter what they say. Things change.

I feel pretty confident that at some point MP will do some sort of guest appearance at a special reunion concert or special release of some sort. Don’t know if he’ll ever join full time or not but wouldn’t say never.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2021, 06:36:40 PM »
I know we have a couple of lawyers here. I would be interested in hearing their take on what they believe the legal structure of the band would have to be in order for MP to return.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2021, 06:46:08 PM »
50%, but I can’t decide, between pros and cons, what I would prefer, really. I would welcome MP back because nostalgia, MP/JP/JR great chemistry and the fan within the band factor. But MM drumming impresses me more nowadays and I think DT still has the potential to stretch out musically more with him.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2021, 06:59:50 PM »
MP re-joining would be the biggest news of both the prog and metal worlds.
It would increase the band's popularity and presence. It would be a good business decision for both parties.

This is my feeling too. I really hope it happens at some point. IMO, the band hasn't been nearly of the same quality (on album or live wise) since MP decided to leave. But, like Stadler has mentioned, this cannot affect NMB or his other projects. I guess I want my cake and eat it too. I would say at best it's a 50-50 possibility.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2021, 07:03:13 PM »
Anytime the MP discussion returns I always think of his answer to this fan question from a 2009 interview, and I laugh because he literally quit a year later, acted like he was kicked out, and then certainly never sat in the audience for a DT show.  :lol

Q: As you are the self-proclaimed number one Dream Theater fan, does it frustrate you that you will never be able to sit and enjoy a Dream Theater show in the same way millions of fans do?

A: Yeah, sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be in the audience or even to just hear what we sound like live. I mean, I’ve never heard my drums from the perspective of the audience. I guess the only way I could do that is if I quit the band or if I was to get kicked out of the band, and neither of those seem like options right now so I guess I’ll have to continue to enjoy Dream Theater from the other side of the stage.

(link: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/2009/11/ask-the-artist-mike-portnoy-dream-theater-the-answers/)
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2021, 07:04:21 PM »
For him to become a DT member again would not only require MM to step down, but also for JLB to be good with it.

Agreed on the Mangini point and I believe for MP to return as a full time member, MM would have to "step down". Something like his going back to teaching to be around his family more. The JLB point is less imo, because I think A) JP calls the shots & B) JLB "COULD" be replaced. He's not getting any younger.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2021, 07:06:47 PM »
The thing to keep in mind is that, even if the other four band members all wanted him to come back, they'd also have to agree on the terms.  I doubt very much that any of the current members would want MP to come back with the same role and responsibilities that he previously had.

VERY valid point but I seriously doubt MP would even want those same roles & responsibilities within DT any longer. He's too busy outside of DT.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2021, 07:07:44 PM »
I will vote for 3.3333%. Wait! That's not an option? OK nevermind then...

:mehlin

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2021, 07:08:31 PM »
Never, thankfully.

OUCH :omg:

Can I ask why you say that so forcefully? Just curious about all opinions.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2021, 07:10:23 PM »
I also can't see MP accepting to come back if MM quit - and only have a session drummers role. He'd want to do everything he did before.

COMPLETELY DISAGREE with this take but I respect your take!