Author Topic: Mid-career change?  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Skeever

Mid-career change?
« on: September 08, 2021, 02:55:13 PM »
Somehow after college I found myself into a the dimly lit "Compliance" corner of a corporate cube farm and I've been there ever since.
It's not really my life's work - it's sure as hell not what I went for school for - but it's fine. Getting a decent job offer in 2010 was not something many would have turned down, even if it wasn't a perfect fit...

But I've been here nearly 10 years now, and I've starting to think about I might be missing the chance to do something that really matters to me.

I don't know what I'd do - I'd be very curious to hear if anyone's made such a change to their careers: what did you do, and why did you do it? Are you happier since you made the change?
Just fielding ideas.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Mid-career change?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 03:09:28 PM »
Do you have any ideas as to what actually would matter to you? What directions you might be tempted to go? Maybe it's something you can test the waters in via volunteer work etc. We all want to do something that is fulfilling, I was very fortunate to find that right out of the gates, even though I'll never get rich doing it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 04:14:10 PM »
When I got severed from my job 4 years ago (at the age of 45), I'd considered doing something completely different.  But the value of my skills and experience in my industry was too much to ignore.  So I opted to stay in my lane.  Sales certainly isn't my life's passion though I'm not entirely sure what this, tbh.  I have an Economics degree, and *that* certainly wasn't my life's passion either :lol.  When I full-time retire, then I'll work on figuring that out.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 04:30:50 PM »
Do you have any ideas as to what actually would matter to you? What directions you might be tempted to go? Maybe it's something you can test the waters in via volunteer work etc. We all want to do something that is fulfilling, I was very fortunate to find that right out of the gates, even though I'll never get rich doing it.

Teaching. And I guess I could always do it, just need to get certified.

@jingle.boy that thought has crossed my mind before, that it would take a layoff or something like that to get me to change. But even if that's true, I could be setting myself up now to pivot to something that I really want should that day arrive. Instead of getting there and having to think "now how do I start to pursue what I really want?"

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 05:00:17 PM »
Been a pharmacist for 4 years now, and i already feel burnt out and disillusioned. I think about other jobs all the time honestly. But where i’m at the the pay, benefits and vacation time is too good to walk away from.

I basically just take as much vacation time as possible to keep my sanity.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 05:50:45 PM »
I wouldn't say I made an abrupt change, but I've morphed pretty good, from being a Professional Engineer doing environmental cleanups to Corporate Counsel for a locomotive manufacturer.    Happy as I can reasonably be not sitting on an island sipping Tito's, soda with a splash of ginger ale.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 06:26:13 AM »
At 29 I went from a general manager/co-owner of a hotel to a technical consultant at a large bank. Echoing what Phoenix stated that the feeling of being burnt out about running the hotel has crept up at my current job but it's just something that happens if you stay in a position long enough. Overall I am happier at my current position, more money, less hours, less listening to people bitch about some old guest shitting in the pool.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 06:41:36 AM »
One of the things I will say is, if you can at all manage SOME continuity between your old and new positions, it will help you down the line.  I've always sold the idea that I wasn't the technical guru - though I did have that experience - I was using my negotiation and commercial skills across both endeavors.   That's served me (and it helps that I can sometimes tap into my past in my current job, thus helping my boss keep staff down.  He doesn't have to have a specific EHS counsel on staff, because I can handle those things that come in periodically).

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 06:49:29 AM »
Man, what timing on this thread. I spent the majority of my morning walk mulling this very thing over. I'm 8 years into the corporate life and I wake up every morning and sigh. I truly do hate it. The subject matter is a big contributing factor, but my mind is just not cut out to handle the corporate world. I also don't want it enough. I recently had to fill out my annual "goals and objectives" documents and it caused a stir because I wasn't being ambitious enough with my goals. I guess maintaining a healthy work life balance and trying to avoid having to work 70 hours a week isn't what they were looking for. 

I actually went to a university last night to talk to someone about getting certified through their Advanced Manufacturing Technologies program. That stuff is right up my alley, but the switch doesn't seem possible or ideal.

Money is the biggest factor. My corporate overlords have me hooked with stupid amounts of PTO, 401K matching, a pension, a good salary, the ability to from home when needed, and pretty good health benefits. The average starting salary out of this program is a 40% of what I currently make. I just don't see how that's doable without losing the house or obliterating my savings for a while. Time for the schooling is also not on my side. The program is only offered in the evenings during the spring, but classes still start at 4PM every day. There's no way I can swing that with my current job.

There's also the onslaught of "tattleware" that's on its way, and I have no desire to work in an environment where every mouse movement and button press is getting rolled up into a report somehow.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 07:27:27 AM »
Maybe we can talk if we both decide to go to Steel Panther, but do your current skills allow you to go work for a GE or a Honeywell, or Pratt?  Some company with a manufacturing division?  You might be able to get in there, work your "corporate" skills for a while while still getting paid and receiving bennies, but also go to school through the company (both GE and Pratt have relationships with Uconn School of Engineering).   If you are going to school "through" them, they can and often are very tolerant of school requirements (GE allowed me to attend school even during working hours as long as I still maintained my regular responsibilities). 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2021, 07:30:37 AM »
Money is the biggest factor. My corporate overlords have me hooked with stupid amounts of PTO, 401K matching, a pension, a good salary, the ability to from home when needed, and pretty good health benefits.

This is my biggest consideration for looking into another role or doing something else. Where I am with the salary I have makes it really hard to consider leaving in the future.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2021, 07:40:18 AM »
Maybe we can talk if we both decide to go to Steel Panther, but do your current skills allow you to go work for a GE or a Honeywell, or Pratt?  Some company with a manufacturing division?  You might be able to get in there, work your "corporate" skills for a while while still getting paid and receiving bennies, but also go to school through the company (both GE and Pratt have relationships with Uconn School of Engineering).   If you are going to school "through" them, they can and often are very tolerant of school requirements (GE allowed me to attend school even during working hours as long as I still maintained my regular responsibilities).

:tup Cool, I'll be in touch. Was going to reach out and see if you wanted to have a beer or few if I end up going.

My current skills would 100% allow me to do jobs at all of those places you listed. One of the most difficult parts about looking for jobs at places like that is the canned job listings online. Very few of them actually tell you what they're looking for or what you'll be doing if hired. Here's a bulleted list for a listing with my current job title at a different company:

· Work with the Executive Team to create a prioritized list of needs for each business segment

· Identify and recommend new ways to increase efficiency by streamlining business processes

· Monitor databases for accuracy and data integrity

· Manage and manipulate large amounts of data

· Use statistical methods to analyze data and generate useful business charts, graphs, and reports

· Work with departmental managers to outline the specific data needs for each business method analysis project

· Support the Management Team to ensure timely and accurate delivery of data

· Develop databases queries, data collection systems, and other strategies that optimize efficiency

· Automate or increase efficiency of existing reports

· Create best practices and procedures

· Assist in implementing new business processes and process improvements

· Use data to create models that depict trends in the customer base and the consumer population as a whole

· Use data to create models that optimize purchasing patterns based upon historical data and forecast trends

· Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information

· Provide data entry for multiple information systems

· Provide training to users of business systems

· Document processes as they are identified and optimized.

· Filter and “clean” data by reviewing reports, printouts, and performance indicators to locate and correct problems

· Participate in staff meetings, staff training programs, and accept the responsibility for aiding the development of positive team relationships as requested

· Perform other duties as required

It feels like you could drop that exact list into 90% of the jobs in corporate and/or tech, and it makes job hunting a nightmare. That list can be boiled down to a single bullet point - "Be well versed in corporate cadence". It becomes a game of throwing your shit at everything and seeing what it sticks to.