Author Topic: THE WARNING: New 3-piece Hard Rock Band of Sisters v "Keep Me Fed" 6/28/24  (Read 13654 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: THE WARNING: New 3-piece Hard Rock Band of Sisters v "ERROR" 6/24/22
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2023, 03:04:18 PM »
Really enjoy The Warning. Got my daughter into them too.

They were doing this headline gig at a tiny old theater in Monterey, California this past fall as they were wrapping their touring, but we couldn't justify the mid-week haul down there to see them. Looking forward to music from them and the next tour.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online ozzy554

« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2023, 05:37:27 PM »
Really enjoy The Warning. Got my daughter into them too.

They were doing this headline gig at a tiny old theater in Monterey, California this past fall as they were wrapping their touring, but we couldn't justify the mid-week haul down there to see them. Looking forward to music from them and the next tour.

Well they recently did some writing in Tennessee so a new album may be coming sooner rather than later.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2023, 07:32:40 PM »
https://twitter.com/TheWarningBand2/status/1613977413909680143/photo/1

It is such an honor and a life long dream to support our idols
@muse
  in our country 🇲🇽

Thank you
@mattbellamy

@Dominic_Howard
 @ctwolstenholme78

@ocesa

@ApodacaGroup

@Ticketmaster_Me

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2023, 08:59:39 AM »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2023, 09:48:04 AM »
I don't know what I did to enrage the great Skynet algorithm, but Facebook is CONSTANTLY pushing this band at me, who I have never listened to, mentioned, or talked about before. Constantly getting sponsored content and suggested posts and groups to a level I've never seen before. To the point I actively refuse to listen to them because I don't want to reinforce this bullshit and get even more of it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2023, 10:43:12 AM »
Have you ever thought about listening to them?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2023, 11:34:05 AM »
Can't wait for the show next month.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2023, 01:17:39 PM »

To the point I actively refuse to listen to them because I don't want to reinforce this bullshit and get even more of it.

I literally feel like they're being shoved down my throat at every opportunity.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2023, 01:33:46 PM »
Disappointed there is no Chicago date on this run. Would love to see Plush as well. Moriah has an incredible set of pipes.

They pulled well here on the first run, but I know they are going to Europe with Muse and festivals so it might be a while.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2023, 02:06:08 PM »

To the point I actively refuse to listen to them because I don't want to reinforce this bullshit and get even more of it.

I literally feel like they're being shoved down my throat at every opportunity.

Maybe you'd actually like them...

Online ozzy554

« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2023, 04:57:17 PM »
This is the first I've heard of Plush and I guess I'll add them to the list of bands to check out. I watched a few videos and they may do the best cover of Barracuda I've ever heard
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2023, 10:29:26 AM »
A guy at work and I got tickets for the May 3 show.  Same venue where I saw DT and Fates Warning back in '94.  It's on a Wednesday, and the venue is just over 3 miles from our office, so we'll grab dinner and get there when we get there.  Two opening bands:  Plush and Holy Wars.  No idea about either.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2023, 10:35:03 AM »
This is the first I've heard of Plush and I guess I'll add them to the list of bands to check out. I watched a few videos and they may do the best cover of Barracuda I've ever heard

Musically, Plush is really good. And the singer is incredible. Lyrically, depending on your age, some of it may not be for you. It's not a record I go back to, as the lyrics are...certainly from a young woman's point of view of being a young woman. Not something I can relate to. But my daughter loves them, and my wife does too. Great band. And the singer, Moriah Formica, also sings for TSO and seems like a wonderful, down to earth person.

The Warning - those ladies have been together as a band for years, and their new record shows it. This should really be an incredible tour.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2023, 10:29:33 AM »
So...I went to see The Warning last night.

The show was at a small club where, almost 30 years ago, I had seen Dream Theater and Fates Warning.  Given the passage of time, the place didn't seem familiar, but no surprise there.  My friend and I stopped and got dinner before the show.  Doors opened at 6:00, and the first band went on at 7:00.  "VIP" parking was $25 and in the lot of the club.  We opted for regular $10 parking, which seemed to be about a half mile away.

We got there around 7:20, and the opener, Holy Wars, was playing.  The band consisted of a drummer, a "guitar player" and a female singer.  The "guitar player" seemed more interested in making noise than actually playing guitar.  I thought they were awful.  Fortunately, we only saw two songs in full before their set was done around 7:30.

The second band was Plush.  They were really good.  Their singer could front a Heart cover band with no problem, and she also played guitar.  The songs were fairly rudimentary, but they put on a good show, with covers of KISS's Heaven's on Fire (a nod to them having played on a "KISS Cruise") and Heart's Barracuda.  The only problem was some sound issues (the lead guitarist was barely audible, and the bassist's levels dropped significantly when she changed instruments about halfway through).  I couldn't discern lyrics, so the issues Brian mentioned didn't bother me.

The Warning was solid, but I expected more.  I went into the show without having listened to any of their material.  I'd heard a few songs here and there, but I had no real familiarity.  They had big energy (although the bass player was somewhat Myungesque with her demeanor).  It was somewhat distracting to have a song start with the guitar player singing lead and then, all of a sudden, it was the drummer, but the voice sounded almost the same.  They were tight.  I thought the bassist was the best of them musically, but they were very one-note.  It was very hard to tell how one song was different from another.  I'm sure the songwriting will mature as they get a bit older.

All in all, a solid evening of music.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2023, 02:42:03 PM »
Going tonight. What time did they finish? Seems like a short show, which works for us tonight.

We're really familiar with both The Warning and Plush, so excited to see each band play for the first time.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2023, 03:12:03 PM »
Going tonight. What time did they finish? Seems like a short show, which works for us tonight.

We're really familiar with both The Warning and Plush, so excited to see each band play for the first time.

Hmmm...I looked at my phone shortly after Holy Wars was done, and it was 7:36.  I think Plush got about 45 minutes and were done by 8:30.  I was home well before 11:00, so I think The Warning was probably done by 10:00.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 03:17:49 PM by pg1067 »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2023, 03:41:16 PM »
What merch did the Warning have?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2023, 03:48:18 PM »

Hmmm...I looked at my phone shortly after Holy Wars was done, and it was 7:36.  I think Plush got about 45 minutes and were done by 8:30.  I was home well before 11:00, so I think The Warning was probably done by 10:00.

Thanks Paul. Cool. Music to my ears, as I have to be in the office before dawn tomorrow.

Goo, I'm hoping it's what's on their website:

https://thewarningmerch.com/

Note the tour shirts, etc.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2023, 03:55:30 PM »

If you see a handsome, older gent with either a Seven Spires shirt or a Nemophila Hoodie...say hi  :biggrin:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2023, 04:58:38 PM »

The layout of the place where I saw them (The Observatory in Santa Ana) was weird.  There was an open air bar to the far right of where we came in, an open room where a few people were sitting that might have had a merch table next today, and the actual venue all the way to the left.  Since it was GA, I wasn't inclined to leave our spot and explore, and there was no merch between where we were and the door where we exited, so I have no idea what was there.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2023, 05:09:13 PM »

If you see a handsome, older gent with either a Seven Spires shirt or a Nemophila Hoodie...say hi  :biggrin:

I'm oddly enough, in San Francisco right now, tonight/this weekend for a cousin of mine's wedding.

It's also my wife's birthday today, so I unfortunately won't be able to go to the show (We're going out to dinner to celebrate her bday).

But enjoy the show!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 10:15:16 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2023, 07:30:20 PM »
Inside the venue... They don't have the merch set up yet. Never seem the merch not ready by the time the doors opened.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2023, 08:35:32 PM »
Holy Wars just finished. Pretty meh... Did enjoy the singer jumping into the crowd and having fun though.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2023, 12:11:26 AM »
Just got home... Plush was fun, good performance all around for sure and an incredible cover of Barracuda.

The Warning however blew me away. Such a tremendous amount of stage presence from the young ladies, especially guitarist Dany who was truly something to behold. Talk about the total package musician.. Killer guitarist, massive vocalist, and just fucking owned that audience.

Also, there sound and mix was so in point, I think my ply complaint would be drummer Pau's vocals were low in the mix when she sang lead.

Very impressed, and I'll definitely catch any future shows they do.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2023, 08:55:05 AM »
I tried to look for you man, but didn't see anyone wearing what you said you were wearing. We were all the way in the back, center, in front of the soundboard. I had my family with me, and we don't let my daughter get in the throngs of GA shows.

Simply put, The Warning blew this old fogey away. These gals did bands like King's X and Rush proud as a power trio. Energetic set, tight, the sound was amazing, some good charisma from the guitarist/vocalist (Dany) really made the whole performance pop. But the most important thing? They were live. Both The Warning and Plush were totally live, except for a slight effects track running for The Warning, that wasn't really noticeable except for the performance of a new song called "More." I'll get to Plush shortly, but man, yeah, The Warning just smoked it.

While young, you can tell they've been playing for over 10 years, and have multiple albums and tours under their belts. They were absolutely dialed in, and all three sisters support one another musically in their songs. It was a legit powerhouse performance.

As a singer who lives with two ACTUAL singers, including one who is professionally trained and has a handful of original songs published, I always key on the vocals. Dany's voice (the guitarist) has the most character to it. Pau, the drummer, has the most range, and does the high harmonies. And Ale, the bassist, has some spot lead lines, but mostly does background. At some point, they will bust out a King's X-like three-part harmony, as their songwriting improves. Which isn't to say their songwriting is bad, FAR from it. Their current album, ERROR, is absolutely outstanding, and as a big test for me as a fan, I want a band whose album I like to be performed to close to the same quality on stage - and The Warning nailed it. In fact, the older songs from previous records came off BETTER live, which prompted me to go get the CD versions of those, since I had only had those early albums digitally.

Overall, they got on at 8:50, and played until 10:10, I believe. So a solid 80 minutes and 17 songs.

The only thing "critical" that I'd say is this: They may want to re-think putting "EVOLVE," the encore song, into the main set and moving something like "CHOKE" down there. Go with something memorable and catchy. "EVOLVE" is great, and maybe it has higher streaming numbers or whatever they use to figure all that out. But I felt a more catchy tune should have closed the evening. But the crowd really didn't care (nor did I, when it was happening).

A huge, huge thumbs up, and as I said to my girls on the ride home (and they agree), I'll never miss The Warning when they are playing even remotely in my neck of the woods. (Unless it is a festival, I don't do festivals.) We had a chance after Aftershock last year to go see The Warning in the Monterey area (that's about a 3.5 hour drive) do a one-off headline show, and we passed because it was in the middle of the week, the long drive, etc. That happens again, we'll take a day off and do it. They were that good.

For me, The Warning checks a lot of boxes. Great energy, thoughtful lyrics that are a bit mature for their years (which this old fogey loves) and makes you think, some progressive tendencies, killer vocals, and heavy riffing. The musicianship all around is top notch. I think Pau, the drummer, is the most accomplished of the three, but Dany and Ale play great too. Only going to get better.

Regarding merch - everything on their website is available at the tables. The main tour shirt (the colorful pic of them on the front and the dates on the back) sold out of S, M, L, very quickly. I snagged a large (luckily) of that, the girls got the secondary one (the black and white band pic on front and the dates on the back). I also picked up the green hat (love that thing), and the previously mentioned other two CDs that I didn't have on physical media. The other shirt I wanted to buy was just the simple black T with their logo on the front. They had ZERO larges available, and we were on line probably a half hour after doors opened. So just FYI.

Anyway, if The Warning are playing by you, and you like the qualities I mentioned above (the things that "check the boxes" for me), do yourselves a favor and go.

Regarding the openers:

Family and I are big fans of Plush, which features Moriah Formica on vocals (TSO, The Voice contestant). Man, girl can fucking WAIL. Saw her with TSO last year, and she did a beautiful rendition of Savatage's "Not What You See" which is one of my favorites. And she has YouTube vids of her singing (just her and a guitar) a ton of cool stuff from the 80s and 90s (she did a great cover of "Someone Else?" by Queensryche). Anyway, Moriah did NOT disappoint in the vocal category. As mentioned above, she sang a killer cover of "Barracuda" by Heart, and another cover of "Heaven's on Fire" by KISS (I'll get to those shortly), but for me, her vocals on "Athena," my favorite tune from them (has an Alter Bridge vibe), were mind blowing. She just has range (and CHARACTER) to her voice for days. Just a total powerhouse. Absolutely the finest singer in the house last night from all three bands.

Musically, Moriah is also the lead guitarist, and she had some pedal board issues most of the night, so sadly, a couple songs sounded weird. Her guitar cut out a lot. But still had a blast. It returned toward the end of the show. As for the rest of the band, solid players. Not spectacular, but will get better. The most seasoned of the bunch is Ashley Suppa, who is the bassist and primary background vox singer. She has great feel. Bella Perron is classically trained at Berkeley, but she mostly plays rhythm (she does some spot lead runs in songs, but Moriah typically does the featured solo). I think she'll blossom as she gets older. And drummer Faith Powell, is literally right out of high school (graduated last year). Really talented, but still a bit green.

And "green" is how I'd label their set construction. They saved a new song, that really  no one knows (it's out, but not a lot of traction so far) for their last song. They should have put their big single, "Hate" or the song I love the most "Athena" in that closing spot, to leave people with a crusher and more memorable tune. And what I mentioned above about covers - yes, they were well done, but I really wished Plush would have filled those spots with two of their originals. They only get 35 minutes, and those two covers...just not needed. Showcase your own tunes.

That said, I felt they were a good opener, unfortunately that had some technical difficulties, but they have a lot of promise. And remember the name Moriah Formica. That woman, all 4'10" of her, is...she is a VOICE.

After The Warning, the opening bands went upstairs to The Fillmore's poster room (for those who aren't from the Bay, The Fillmore does a special poster for every headliner who sells out, right on sight, the night of the show. They hand those out to people who are at those shows - sadly, The Warning did not sell out, my guess was about 550 people in attendance and capacity is 825, I think - and then frame one and put it in the venue somewhere). Well, both Plush and Holy Wars (I'll get to the latter in a second) went up there after the show for meet and greets. Totally free, really casual. We went up there (my daughter LOVES Moriah, we all do, really, but she's really someone that my daughter looks up to vocally). Now, being an old fogey, I felt weird. These gals could be my kids. So I told my wife "no way I go solo to take a pic, it's gotta be both of us, because I'm not being a dirty old man." She laughed, and wanted the pic anyway, so cool. Anyway, so my daughter goes up solo, and all four of them gush at her, making her night. Hugs, talking about school, the fact my daughter sings, the drummer (again, just out of high school) asked about choir, told her about her experience in marching band, etc.) Just took care of her. Took a great pic. Then my wife goes, "hey, can we grab a pic too, we're her parents." The Plush gals enthusiastically beckoned us over with huge smiles and we talked. Turns out Moriah and Ashley (bassist) are both from NY, and Ashley spends a lot of time in a town on Long Island (Setauket) nearby where I grew up. So the three of us did some NY bonding, we thanked them for a great set (and I put in some kudos for that TSO performance of "Not What You See" by Savatage, which was greatly appreciated), and then we left. Great evening.

Now, that band Holy Wars...how can I say this. They are a working band, I give them credit, but not my thing. The guitar player (as I think Paul mentioned in his post) was not as good as he tried to make himself out to be. And the singer...she was more into shaking her ass at the crowd. Not sure how well they really came off to the crowd (the singer was begging for energy early, and had some more eyes after shaking her butt more toward the end of the set), but I came away with the opinion that their music just isn't for me. And...the worst part...they were piping in bass, they had no bass player.  ::) I mean, come on man. Just hire someone. The bass lines of your material aren't that hard. Just do it live. I know costs and everything, but come on. Anyway, not our thing at all.

But we had a great time, The Warning absolutely SLAYED  :metal and we got some cool memories of Plush (and The Warning, obviously). Great night overall.

p.s. never eat Burger King from Emeryville, CA at 11 p.m. You'll pay for it at 3 a.m. Just word of caution, fellow NorCal folks.  :lol
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 09:13:42 AM by Samsara »

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2023, 09:33:58 AM »
nice reviews! they are a really great, energetic live band.

I got back to my hotel last night and noticed the show was streaming on Instagram, per I caught the last 20+ minutes of their set.

My co-worker whose on their Patreon has said they have been playing part of a new song live, but I forget the title. Apparently they recorded it recently and it should be coming out soon. I forget the date he said, but even in May or June perhaps.

But looking at the set list on setlist.fm, I don't see it.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2023, 09:38:51 AM »

I got back to my hotel last night and noticed the show was streaming on Instagram, per I caught the last 20+ minutes of their set.

My co-worker whose on their Patreon has said they have been playing part of a new song live, but I forget the title. Apparently they recorded it recently and it should be coming out soon. I forget the date he said, but even in May or June perhaps.

They played the whole song. It is called "More." Here are the five songs I recorded last night. "More" is among them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxKfOxlkYrc&list=PLJI-MjWF9aD8YDT34zAqCFKQ6EV9cL_Yd

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2023, 09:43:50 AM »

they're releasing the new song, More, on May 12th. That was actually one song I got complete video and am uploading now.

Samsara...you definitely wouldn't have found me, I was second row right in front of Dany. I agree with everything you said about the show though, on all fronts. Plush I went in blind, not knowing a single song of theirs. I had no idea the singer was a TSO alum, but it defintely makes sense. Holy Wars not only piped in their bass, but it was so fucking loud, just destroyed their overall sound. And yeah, that guitarist thought he was wayyyy better than he actually was  :lol , the singer was fun though, when she jumped into the crowd she piped a few lines of the song to my friend and I and was all cheer and joy. Whether I like the music or not, it's good to see her giving it her all and having fun with it.

Aaaand in the time I typed that, my video finished uploading... decent visuals from a shit cameraman...sound is quite excellent for my S23 Ultra, really happy with how this thing shoots shows...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dQSSPZ5DJc&t=28s

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2023, 09:45:46 AM »
Ninja'd on the video  :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2023, 09:47:23 AM »
Hahaha.

I do that. lol.

We can connect and say hello next time. Obviously, we're in the same neck of the woods. Glad you had fun too.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2023, 09:49:01 AM »
Hahaha.

I do that. lol.

We can connect and say hello next time. Obviously, we're in the same neck of the woods. Glad you had fun too.

I think I'm in your area for a show tomorrow, seeing Bloodywood in Roseville.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2023, 05:10:21 PM »

Thanks Paul. Cool. Music to my ears, as I have to be in the office before dawn tomorrow.

Goo, I'm hoping it's what's on their website:

https://thewarningmerch.com/

Note the tour shirts, etc.

Thanks man! Hoping there is still merch left by the time they hit Austin.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2023, 06:40:32 AM »

They played the whole song. It is called "More." Here are the five songs I recorded last night. "More" is among them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxKfOxlkYrc&list=PLJI-MjWF9aD8YDT34zAqCFKQ6EV9cL_Yd

thanks!

"More" is out now

https://open.spotify.com/album/6qT2MHTarKxFvBPYH1txnS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_cVExN9Sng

Offline 425

« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2023, 12:45:34 PM »
I'm practically obsessed with More. Definitely an evolution on their previous sound that some people might not be keen on, but IMO their core strengths are still there, and I always like hearing something that's both heavy and upbeat. They come across as positive people, so I'm not too surprised to hear them come up with material that isn't as dark as their previous stuff.

I agree with Samsara's earlier comments that Pau comes across as the most impressive instrumentalist of the three, though they're all quite good. Her playing has a lot of personality even when she's not doing anything particularly complex. She also has a massive rock star presence and a ton of charisma—she practically takes over the More video. Dany sort of seems like the biggest star of the band right now as the lead guitarist and primary singer—and she is great—but she'd better watch out.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2023, 12:47:44 PM »
I'm practically obsessed with More. Definitely an evolution on their previous sound that some people might not be keen on, but IMO their core strengths are still there, and I always like hearing something that's both heavy and upbeat. They come across as positive people, so I'm not too surprised to hear them come up with material that isn't as dark as their previous stuff.

I agree with Samsara's earlier comments that Pau comes across as the most impressive instrumentalist of the three, though they're all quite good. Her playing has a lot of personality even when she's not doing anything particularly complex. She also has a massive rock star presence and a ton of charisma—she practically takes over the More video. Dany sort of seems like the biggest star of the band right now as the lead guitarist and primary singer—and she is great—but she'd better watch out.

If Pau didn't have to sit behind the kit, she'd dominate the stage. She's so brilliantly animated throughout their performances.