Author Topic: AVFTTOTW First Single - The Alien 👽- Friday the 13th! (Pre-Orders as well!)  (Read 22138 times)

Offline erwinrafael

At first, I wasn't thrilled by the vocal melodies, but when I read the lyrics, I changed my mind. The vocal melodies fit the words, and it became more apparent while watching the music video.

Sometimes I find myself chuckling when some fans complain about vocal hooks in a DT song when one of their more popular songs, LtL, do not have any memorable vocal hooks whatsoever (and a  high note is not a vocal hook).

Offline Pettor

Re: AVFTTOTW First Single - The Alien - Friday the 13th! (Pre-Orders as well!)
« Reply #281 on: August 21, 2021, 03:59:02 AM »
Sometimes I find myself chuckling when some fans complain about vocal hooks in a DT song when one of their more popular songs, LtL, do not have any memorable vocal hooks whatsoever (and a  high note is not a vocal hook).

Chuckling at DT having no vocal hooks?! It's one of the reasons DT is above most other progressive metal bands in my book. I could name more great vocal melodies (or is hook related to being catchy? ... even if that wouldn't help because DT has plenty of that) than this post would allow me to. Also LtL not having great vocal hooks?! Maybe I am misunderstanding what vocal hook is but every vocal in that song is amazing and memorable!

"I look at the world and see no understanding
I'm waiting to find some sense of strength
I'm begging you from the bottom of my heart
To show me understanding"

I get goosebumps just thinking about those lines.

Offline Architeuthis

It's funny on FB I have over 300 friends.  Whenever I share something DT related, I hardly ever get any likes.   If I were to share a picture of a half eaten meal at a restaurant ,  I'll get at least 50 likes..   people suck!  :lol

What if you posted that it was John Petrucci's half eaten meal? :lol
  :lol   Hey, you might be on to something here.  Just post a picture of a Grizzly bear eating a salmon..²
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

It's funny on FB I have over 300 friends.  Whenever I share something DT related, I hardly ever get any likes.   If I were to share a picture of a half eaten meal at a restaurant ,  I'll get at least 50 likes..   people suck!  :lol

What if you posted that it was John Petrucci's half eaten meal? :lol
  :lol   Hey, you might be on to something here.  Just post a picture of a Grizzly bear eating a salmon..²

I remember that when they did DOT at that barn they said a couple bears passed by one day and I immediately thought "how nice of JP's family to go check on him" :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: AVFTTOTW First Single - The Alien - Friday the 13th! (Pre-Orders as well!)
« Reply #284 on: August 21, 2021, 09:30:52 AM »

Chuckling at DT having no vocal hooks?! It's one of the reasons DT is above most other progressive metal bands in my book. I could name more great vocal melodies (or is hook related to being catchy? ... even if that wouldn't help because DT has plenty of that) than this post would allow me to. Also LtL not having great vocal hooks?! Maybe I am misunderstanding what vocal hook is but every vocal in that song is amazing and memorable!

"I look at the world and see no understanding
I'm waiting to find some sense of strength
I'm begging you from the bottom of my heart
To show me understanding"

I get goosebumps just thinking about those lines.

Agreed. Saying that Learning to Live or most other songs considered DT classics do not have strong vocal hooks is, to me, crazy talk, but to each their own.  Every song on I&W alone has more vocal hooks than you can shake a stick at.

Offline BelichickFan

I came back to The Alien after avoiding it for a couple of days.  Phenomenal.  One of the better latter day DT tracks for me and easily the best lead "single".  The only thing I don't like is the keyboard sound from 6:50 - 6:55 sounds . . . bad?  I don't know how to describe it but even on the official i-tunes version it doesn't sound like a good, clear sound to me.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
I came back to The Alien after avoiding it for a couple of days.  Phenomenal.  One of the better latter day DT tracks for me and easily the best lead "single".  The only thing I don't like is the keyboard sound from 6:50 - 6:55 sounds . . . bad?  I don't know how to describe it but even on the official i-tunes version it doesn't sound like a good, clear sound to me.
I think that sound is really great, because of its "classic alien/UFO" vibe.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 10:25:48 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Architeuthis

I think we need another single sometime soon, it's starting to get quiet around here since the poor alien has been beaten to death.  👽😁
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline the_silent_man

It's only been 1 week! :rollin

Still another 2 months for the album! Can't see another single til mid September.

Offline jayvee3

I think that’s sort of the point - it’s supposed to sound distorted. As someone already pointed out, almost sounds as in that B-Grade movie UFO/Alien way…

Offline Architeuthis

Still another 2 months for the album! Can't see another single til mid September.
Yep.  :lol

Offline hunnus2000

My wife follows DT on FB and someone posted the comment below which I agree with 100%. The mixing of this song brings out the best of JM and his sound which in the past seems buried in the mix but not on this song. His parts shine! Great job!  :metal

From FB:
We all know that "The Alien" is one of the best "singles" ever released by Dream Theater since "ADToE" (in my opinion of course). The song is amazing, it has one of the band's best MIX so far (Finally a decent drum MIX/sound that doesn't sound like a keyboard patch or electronic pad). etc, etc, etc. BUT, few people have commented on John Myung's geniusness in this song, in the sound, in the tone, etc. What a spectacular execution by JM, a melodic line that made much more sense with a heavy touch. So creative! Of course, JP, JR, MM and JL did a great job, but the highlight, for me as a drummer, goes to John Myung for the importance of his creation for this song. Such a KILLER tone tho, HOLY @#$@% and kudos to the Sound Engineer to master the track just right. Can't wait to hear the full album! It's probably the first time in a decade that a "single" from band has created this level of hype.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Had to listen to The Alien three times before I felt like I knew what was going on, but I finally wrapped my head around it and I think it's an awesome song. It's good to hear the guys go a bit crazy after being a bit more reserved beginning with DT13. Definitely excited for the album!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 12:23:10 PM by TheOutlawXanadu »
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
My wife follows DT on FB and someone posted the comment below which I agree with 100%. The mixing of this song brings out the best of JM and his sound which in the past seems buried in the mix but not on this song. His parts shine! Great job!  :metal

From FB:
We all know that "The Alien" is one of the best "singles" ever released by Dream Theater since "ADToE" (in my opinion of course). The song is amazing, it has one of the band's best MIX so far (Finally a decent drum MIX/sound that doesn't sound like a keyboard patch or electronic pad). etc, etc, etc. BUT, few people have commented on John Myung's geniusness in this song, in the sound, in the tone, etc. What a spectacular execution by JM, a melodic line that made much more sense with a heavy touch. So creative! Of course, JP, JR, MM and JL did a great job, but the highlight, for me as a drummer, goes to John Myung for the importance of his creation for this song. Such a KILLER tone tho, HOLY @#$@% and kudos to the Sound Engineer to master the track just right. Can't wait to hear the full album! It's probably the first time in a decade that a "single" from band has created this level of hype.

I agree. JM has an amazing tone.

JM sounds awesome during the part from 1:14 - 2:10. I love how locked and tight him and Mangini are. Too me, JM makes that part as well, especially when he does those notes at 1:19-1:21, following along with Manginis bass drums.  :metal
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Why are people all going like "FINALLY a good drum sound" when, in all fairness, DOT had an amazing drum sound as well? (Drum sound in TA is pretty suitable for that album as well, but then again the only album whose production I don't really love in the MM era is the self titled). 

Don't get me wrong, it's really nice to read mostly positive comments within a fanbase that is known for being pretty toxic and difficult to please, but I find that to be really curious.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline erwinrafael

The drum sound in The Alien is better than DOT for me because finally I can hear the intricacies of the cymbal playing. Such a shame, S2N has amazing cymbal work but you have to strain to hear it in the chorus.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 12:55:00 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Pettor

Why are people all going like "FINALLY a good drum sound" when, in all fairness, DOT had an amazing drum sound as well? (Drum sound in TA is pretty suitable for that album as well, but then again the only album whose production I don't really love in the MM era is the self titled). 

Don't get me wrong, it's really nice to read mostly positive comments within a fanbase that is known for being pretty toxic and difficult to please, but I find that to be really curious.

I think DOT had an overly positive reaction to the drum sound? Maybe it will take 2-3 albums before it to settle in and become the norm and the old albums problematic drum sound is forgotten? 😊 I think DOT was a huge boost for Mangini and how fans though about him overall. Instead of just having the technical drummers being impressed there was a bigger chunk of people like me, that isn't very technical, that felt his style became fun and honestly pretty bad ass. I always liked Portnoy's melodic style but Mangini start to become a favourite now. Maybe it's his time with Annihilation but he can really do aggressive and bad ass moments justice!

ADTOE is ofc known for it's drum machine sound and quite uninteresting drumming overall. Self titled has the problematic production and overall nothing to fun going on with Mangini there either. TA has a better overall sound finally but instead seems to limit Mangini in his drumming. There's honestly no memorable drum moments in TA afaik. They even seem to be a bit to simple? Then DOT happens and suddenly it just seems like the puzzle pieces came together. Maybe the band finally found themselves as the new band they are after Portnoy leaving. Mangini sounds better but also plays in a style that just seems more melodic and pleasing whilst still being technical. Suddenly Mangini is part of every song and there's plenty of moments I can mention as highly memorable. The Alien seems to support that the new album will continue with that 😊

In all fairness I think fans overlook how hard it must be to change a band member, specially when it's a very integral part of the band like Portnoy. I am assuming the way of working and collaboration will take time to adapt. But DOT really feels like something major happened in the way the collaborated, whether or not you like the album. I think that was clear as well when JP talked about how fun it was to create and that would continue in that fashion.

Offline gzarruk

ADTOE is ofc known for it's drum machine sound and quite uninteresting drumming overall. Self titled has the problematic production and overall nothing to fun going on with Mangini there either. TA has a better overall sound finally but instead seems to limit Mangini in his drumming. There's honestly no memorable drum moments in TA afaik. They even seem to be a bit to simple?

I liked/agree with most of your post, but just had to disagree big time here :lol

ADTOE had a low drum sound, but the drumming and drum lines are amazing. The only song's drum lines I would'n call too interesting they are BMUBMD's, and even that has the pretty cool fill towards the end. BITS, Outcry, OTBOA, LNF,  BAI... all amazing drumming imo.

DT12 has the weird snare sound, but again, spectacular drumming. Just listen to IT or EM and tell me there's nothing interesting going on drum-wise. TLG? BTV? come on!

TA is very long and has lots of slower moments, but it's a drumming fest if you listen carefully. TGOM, MOB, TWS... etc etc. Even something like Losing Faythe has a wonderfully crafted drum line with the hi-hats.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline erwinrafael

Yeah, ADTOE and DT12 had some godly drumming, it really just sounded "simple" because the intricacies of the cymbal work does not pop out.

For example, Lost Not Forgotten with clear cymbals sounds really badass. Then here is a video of The Enemy Inside which sounds great also. The rides were amazing! There was once a leaked video of Mangini playing Illumination Theory in a drum clinic, but I can not find it anymore.

Offline nikatapi

I agree, both ADTOE and DT12 have some incredible drum parts.
On ADTOE, the mix is not optimal for the drums, and most of the cymbal work is buried/flat. On DT12 the crappy snare sound ruins everything.
But Mike's performance and ideas on both albums are amazing.

Offline Pettor

Ah yes I think I was being unclear. The drumming on these albums are surely technically really good. I assume anything Mangini does is way over my head all the time. What I tried to say is that as a non-technical listener I couldn't appreciate the drumming as much. OTBOA had some parts where he plays together with different instruments etc. that I could hear and be mind blown with but a song like LNF is just over my head. It sounds like a purely technical song in a strange way. Something clicked on D/T where I got so many drum parts that stood out to me in a different way. Nearly every part of the drumming is highly enjoyable on D/T and the technical parts is easier to appreciate I think. Maybe it's the production but I want to say it's not only that? PBD is a an easy example (and far from the only one) where the intro is just insanely cool, technical and easy for me to appreciate.

Offline Peter Mc

I’m not a technical guy at all but, for fun, I used to air drum along to The Astonishing while my toddler nephew played imaginary guitar.  When doing that, and having to listen to the drums, you realise how much incredibly inventive drumming there is.  He never seems to play the same fill twice.  Then seeing The Astonishing live, the drum work is incredible.  On the final track, he’s literally playing separate one handed drum rolls with both hands independently.

Offline gzarruk

Mr. Mike "The Alien" Mangini on Facebook:

So ... I filmed The Alien and will announce its posting asap. But ... I played it in real-time at 110% speed. That means the track played at 242 BPM instead of 220 and I played to that.  This is how I prepare for a tour when I know that the songs will feel really fast some nights and really slow others. Please subscribe to my Official YouTube Channel right away so you don't miss it this week if I can post it tomorrow.

https://www.facebook.com/MikeMangini/posts/384907742998699

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
The Astonishing is where the band finally started having a great sounding drum mix. Production plays a part in how an album will sound, and Mangini got shafted in that department with his snare sound in the Self-Titled, it works in some songs and in certain sections but it doesn't work at all in other songs either. I get they wanted to experiment with production choices but I am sure Mangini let it slide and chose to let the fans be the judges. The one song I think that works with the production and the production ends up making the song is The Bigger Picture, everything just fits and to me it defines the Self-Titled album for me.

The Production of the drums on D/T is fantastic and I knew from them working with Jimmy T more, the drums and production of Dream Theater would only get better. The Christmas release gave us that hope, and The Alien is revealing it to be even more so.

The sound of the drums on The Alien, is the drum sound I am glad Dream Theater and Mangini is finally able to accomplish on getting. The issue I had was with the cymbals being too low in the mix, and the toms not having enough depth and oomph. That is all solved on The Alien, and I am really looking forward to what the rest of the album has in store and if we will get to hear more awesome cymbal and tom rhythms.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline darkshade

This is why I haven't listened to The Alien yet. Too much time. Album should come out by the end of September.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni

This is why I haven't listened to The Alien yet. Too much time. Album should come out by the end of September.

I've not listened to it since I'm waiting for the album but I do agree with this. It's an absurdly long build-up. Perhaps surprisingly for such a big band, I think Maiden have got it spot-on with Senjutsu.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline DTwwbwMP

I've not listened to it since I'm waiting for the album but I do agree with this. It's an absurdly long build-up. Perhaps surprisingly for such a big band, I think Maiden have got it spot-on with Senjutsu.

agreed 100%

Online Dream Team

Mr. Mike "The Alien" Mangini on Facebook:

So ... I filmed The Alien and will announce its posting asap. But ... I played it in real-time at 110% speed. That means the track played at 242 BPM instead of 220 and I played to that.  This is how I prepare for a tour when I know that the songs will feel really fast some nights and really slow others. Please subscribe to my Official YouTube Channel right away so you don't miss it this week if I can post it tomorrow.

https://www.facebook.com/MikeMangini/posts/384907742998699

I think Mike is The Alien.