Author Topic: Order of the 'epics'.  (Read 1247 times)

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
Order of the 'epics'.
« on: July 26, 2021, 11:15:41 AM »
Since I've not seen a topic like this, I'll think it's worth one, so I'll take the honor gladly to give it a change. Because the epics are - to me - Dream Theater at there fullest. The way they build up these pieces is absolute craftmanship, start to finish. But, as is with all there is, there's a variety in 'brilliance' in it as well. Some are even more beautiful then others.

There is no official list of which song is considered to be an epic and as far as I know, there are five tracks that could be considered epic. I'll rank them here and am very curious to see what other fans' ranking might be.

5) In the Presence of Enemies

Might be arguable if this is an epic, to me it is and I really like it, but it should never ever been split up. It takes away the momentum completely and by the time I've digged throught Systematic Chaos to arrive in part 2, I'm lost totally. It is dark, written is not that good but I'll handle that, just if they started SC with Forsaken and combined both parts at the end of the album.

4) A Change of Seasons

The gap between the Presence and Change of Seasons is way bigger than that between Change of Seasons and Octavarium. I love Change of Seasons from start to finish, it is a wunderfull track, well written and in perfect harmony. To me, the reason why it is not higher in the scale is the missing of a grand final, like the Count of Tuscany and Illumination Theory. What I do like however are the final chords, which brings us back to the beginning, rounding the circle. Masterpiece and an outstanding example of what Dream Theater is.

3) Octavarium

Honestly, if it was'nt for the Daily Dougs reaction, this epic would'nt make it to the top three. Octavarium is one of the few vinyls I still haven't bought and therefore I do not listen to it as much as the others. But Doug's totally got me into it. I've checked his Youtube reaction many times already and the more that's become clearified of this song, the higher the ranking. What a wonderful piece and the way it is build op, is unbelievable.

2) Illumination Theory

Many times I see this one is barely making it out of the trashcan on this forum, mostly due to a poor production. To me however the Illumination Theory is next to the very best track they ever made. The questions of life, the sections build up, the beautiful riffs, Myung with some splended bass-parts and especially the intersection in the middle, calm and peaceful... so complete. And then the last section with LaBrie shining and I can listen to it one hundred times, it'll never bore me.

1) The Count of Tuscany

Maybe it'll be a less popular opinion but to me The Count of Tuscany is Dream Theater at there total best. Rather I'll drive my car, ride my bike, spin a vinyl at home or introduce my favorite band to friend, this track is getting most of my time. Right from the start it grabs a hold on me and will not let go untill LaBrie is giving his verbal solo in the final. And no voice on earth could be more made for this track than his. The strange story of Petrucci actually encoutered this count in Tuscany is even making it more mysterious and magical to me.

And I truly hope the epic on DT15 will clame a position high in my ranking.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline lovethedrake

Re: Order of the 'epics'.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 11:19:55 AM »
Change of Seasons

Octavarium

Count of Tuscany

Illumination Theory

In the Presence of Enemies

Online pg1067

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 11:31:29 AM »
I've not seen a topic like this

You'd only have had to look down to page 3 of the DT threads:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=53591.0
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 11:45:38 AM »
I've not seen a topic like this

You'd only have had to look down to page 3 of the DT threads:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=53591.0

You're right, did'nt have seen it. When a topic like this already is made, this one could be locked.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 12:01:14 PM »
1: Octavarium
2: The Count of Tuscany
3: A Change of Seasons
4: Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
5: In the Presence of Enemies
6: Illumination Theory
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask