Author Topic: 2021 Summer Olympics thread  (Read 13028 times)

Offline Harmony

Re: 2021 Summer Olympics thread
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2021, 11:07:59 AM »
GODDAMMIT NO BRADY TALK IN THIS THREAD

Who is that? 
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2021, 11:08:43 AM »
It doesn't take away anything from what she has already accomplished.  I'd say it shows incredible maturity to say "hey guys, I'm letting the team down, so I'm going to pull out of the team competition so I don't cause you to lose out on a medal."

I'm with G on this.  Putting aside all the fluffy, puffy stuff (and I don't know thing 1 about gymnastics), you can't be the GOAT if you don't actually compete (regardless of the reason).  I also agree that, in addition to having talent, true GOATs handle the pressure that comes with being the best.  They thrive under the pressure and don't succumb to it.  A true champion doesn't quit in the middle of a competition "to work on her mental health."

See above - a true champion also has the maturity to know when they're stuff isn't up to par and pass the ball to someone else.  Her teammates won a silver.  Maybe they'd have a gold, had she been perfect, but she stepped back and didn't cause them to drop past silver. 

Jumping down this girls' throat is just wrong.  You can't say that the media pressure is so unfair to her and then criticize her for buckling in the same breath.  She herself just reminded people today that they're all human, not just athletes.  She's won 30 Olympic medals, she has nothing left to prove.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2021, 11:08:54 AM »

Who is that?

Lonestar is a guy that lives in NoCal. I think his real name is RJ.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2021, 11:10:30 AM »

Who is that?

I'd tell you, but then I'd be talking about him in this thread.

(Tom Brady)

Who is that?

Spoilers dude!!!

Offline Harmony

« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2021, 11:11:14 AM »

Who is that?

LoL

Seriously, I know who TB is but if he walked past me on the street I wouldn't recognize him or even give a shit.

One man's 'GOAT' is another man's 'who?'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2021, 11:23:29 AM »

I still love you baby.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2021, 11:23:44 AM »
I truly feel for Biles because the attention and the proclamation of her being the 'GOAT' wasn't her idea....she's not the one who painted the narrative of it all, so I have sympathy for her as she's been painted into being this image of true perfection in her sport ever since the last Olympics. BUT...she's also went along with it and been privy to all the perks and financial blessing that have come with the sponsorships and attention of the 'image' and persona that's she's been sold and billed as.

Her essentially not living up to that image and persona is what this is all about in my eyes. She's like an expensive sports car that crapped out at 25k miles. There's still a good chance she comes back and takes a couple gold medals in the individual competition part of it all....of which then there are some real questions that need to be asked but most likely won't. She pulled out due to 'mental issues'. Don't you think the rest of her teammates have had it tough living and training in her shadow for the past 4+ years? Always hearing about Simone.....Biles this...Simone that.....and they still needed to persevere and overcome that distraction to perform.

So Biles gets a bit rattled and then flat out quits on her team? Kills their dream of gold because she knows in the back of her minds she can still compete in individual competitions and get 'her' gold medals. I think when this is over she needs to be challenged on that question. But I know she won't for pretty obvious reasons given the state of our culture right now.

Like Bosk and Harmony said....we/I don't know her or know what she's going through. I've suffered from anxiety and panic attack issues in the past so I know how crippling it can be. And again, I truly feel for her as a human. It's a huge stage to fail on especially when you've been promoted as being the GOAT and someone who can't be beat. But I do think there's a level of responsibility that she neglected to take care of when it comes to her team and think she owes it to them to give them more of an excuse than she did at the podium of "there's more to life than gymnastics". That's a cop out IMO and I feel for her teammates who missed a chance at gold due to her pulling out...especially when it was non-medical related.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2021, 11:28:24 AM »

Like Bosk and Harmony said....we/I don't know her or know what she's going through. I've suffered from anxiety and panic attack issues in the past so I know how crippling it can be. And again, I truly feel for her as a human. It's a huge stage to fail on especially when you've been promoted as being the GOAT and someone who can't be beat. But I do think there's a level of responsibility that she neglected to take care of when it comes to her team and think she owes it to them to give them more of an excuse than she did at the podium of "there's more to life than gymnastics". That's a cop out IMO and I feel for her teammates who missed a chance at gold due to her pulling out...especially when it was non-medical related.

That's how I feel.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Harmony

« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2021, 11:47:07 AM »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2021, 11:51:21 AM »

That's how I feel.

On a physical level, she still qualifies as goat, she is literally years beyond all the competition in what she's capable of. I can totally see the pressure of all that, the pressure of being under the microscope of the asshole press and even worse social media, topped with the genuine pressure of being on the world's biggest stage being overwhelming. Shit, talking to new people is overwhelming to me.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2021, 11:54:55 AM »

Best idea...EVER!!!

Trying the whitewater kayaking course would be EPIC!!!

On the other hand:

"PG approaches the first hurdle and...he stops!"  "What do you think is happening here, FloJo?"  "Well, Bob, that hurdle is about 10 inches higher than his inseam measurement, so...."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2021, 12:02:52 PM »
Japan beats the US in softball for the gold...

Offline pg1067

« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2021, 12:14:41 PM »
Japan beats the US in softball for the gold...

That was fast.  Of course, I imagine there weren't too many teams in the softball tournament.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2021, 12:19:41 PM »
Here's a potentially interesting topic for discussion.  This is an edited (by me) version of a rant I saw on Facebook (the substance of the original has not been changed):

"Why is it that women can only perform their best athletic feats damned near nekkid while men can break world records practically dressed in a suit of armor?  From the layperson's perspective, it would seem to me that all athletes would do better with MOST of their ass cheeks INSIDE the designated uniform.  I don't know about y'all, but pulling my shorts ALL the way out of the crack of my ass every three steps tends to reduce my best time doing ANYTHING.  If a grown ass man can do the splits while wearing footie pajamas, we can put some shorts on the GIRLS competing in gymnastics.  Of course, I suspect that these wardrobe decisions are made with an eye towards enticing men into watching women's sports.  Seriously, how is a woman running faster than you can ride a bike or skate not interesting enough on its own?  How is a woman using a flimsy ass pole to vault herself a height equal to the roof of your house not worth a peek without it also being a peep show?"

The post was accompanied by several pictures -- mostly of male and female track & field and beach volleyball players.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2021, 12:31:55 PM »

That's how I feel.

Yeah...  And I also think it is understandable and "fine" to simultaneously feel sympathetic for her and want to not be judgmental while also feeling disappointed in her that she let her teammates down.  That's about how I feel, and I don't think that is even remotely "jumping down her throat," as Grappler put it.  But, again, on the latter point, I am also fine with letting that go and realizing that, ultimately, it is between her and her teammates.

Here's a potentially interesting topic for discussion.  This is an edited (by me) version of a rant I saw on Facebook (the substance of the original has not been changed):

"Why is it that women can only perform their best athletic feats damned near nekkid while men can break world records practically dressed in a suit of armor?  From the layperson's perspective, it would seem to me that all athletes would do better with MOST of their ass cheeks INSIDE the designated uniform.  I don't know about y'all, but pulling my shorts ALL the way out of the crack of my ass every three steps tends to reduce my best time doing ANYTHING.  If a grown ass man can do the splits while wearing footie pajamas, we can put some shorts on the GIRLS competing in gymnastics.  Of course, I suspect that these wardrobe decisions are made with an eye towards enticing men into watching women's sports.  Seriously, how is a woman running faster than you can ride a bike or skate not interesting enough on its own?  How is a woman using a flimsy ass pole to vault herself a height equal to the roof of your house not worth a peek without it also being a peep show?"

The post was accompanied by several pictures -- mostly of male and female track & field and beach volleyball players.

Couldn't agree more.  The disparity is especially noticeable in beach volleyball, where the men where board shorts and tank tops, whereas the women are in what boils down to a thong and sports bra. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2021, 12:45:14 PM »
As someone who is currently home from work due to his anxiety, I feel very strongly about mental health issues. Watching one of the greatest athletes of my generation regardless of sport walk away from the biggest sporting event in the world to focus on her mental health hits home for me, and for people to criticize her for it and say it makes her less great really strikes a nerve with me. The constant lack of regard for mental health as a serious issue is heartbreaking to me. The brain is the most important part of the body, it literally controls everything, so if it isn’t working right your whole body isn’t working right. People can’t possibly expect you to be ok if your brain isn’t functioning properly, but society treats mental health issues like an afterthought at best and a joke at worst. The stigma that you’re weak if you’re struggling mentally and you just have to get over it instead of address it has caused many people to crack, to have a breakdown, to death. We’re seeing it happen with Simone Biles right now and IMO, anything less than respect and support for her is unacceptable.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2021, 12:48:50 PM »
Going back to the women's cycling, that gold medal finish by Kiesenhofer of Austria was so great.  I know I already said that.  But hearing her talk about it after the fact is incredible.  She says she actually was in as much physical agony as her face appeared to convey as she was finishing those last kilometers, and she felt like her body would have given out if she had to go any farther. 

And what makes it all the more remarkable is that, apparently, the Dutch team, who were favored to win gold and possibly gold/silver or even a sweep, didn't even realize she had broken away because she wasn't even on their radar in terms of riders to watch.  When Van Vleuten crossed the finish line, she legitimately thought she had won the gold.  :lol 
[Kiesenhofer] held firm to claim a completely unexpected gold medal in three hours 52 minutes, one minute and 15 seconds, clear of Dutch rider Annemiek Van Vleuten who was celebrating like she had won the race as she crossed the line with arms held aloft.

"I thought I was one," Van Vleuten was heard saying to her team masseur Ruud Ziljmans on Dutch TV. "Ruud have I got that wrong?"

"We thought we were doing it right, we took the Polish and the Israeli back and we thought we were driving for the gold."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2021, 12:49:38 PM »

Not related to the olympics, but the Norwegian Beach Handball team was recently fined for wearing shorts instead of bikini bottom..

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31889339/pop-singer-pink-supports-norwegian-women-beach-handball-team-protest-fines-very-sexist-uniform-rules

I think it's about time we revisit the uniform/dress code requirement for some sports.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2021, 12:55:54 PM »
As someone who is currently home from work due to his anxiety, I feel very strongly about mental health issues. Watching one of the greatest athletes of my generation regardless of sport walk away from the biggest sporting event in the world to focus on her mental health hits home for me, and for people to criticize her for it and say it makes her less great really strikes a nerve with me. The constant lack of regard for mental health as a serious issue is heartbreaking to me. The brain is the most important part of the body, it literally controls everything, so if it isn’t working right your whole body isn’t working right. People can’t possibly expect you to be ok if your brain isn’t functioning properly, but society treats mental health issues like an afterthought at best and a joke at worst. The stigma that you’re weak if you’re struggling mentally and you just have to get over it instead of address it has caused many people to crack, to have a breakdown, to death. We’re seeing it happen with Simone Biles right now and IMO, anything less than respect and support for her is unacceptable.

Yet another dicey conversation, but I'm your biggest advocate.   I've been saying for years we need to do more in terms of our mental wellbeing.  I've been probably the biggest advocate for therapy as a part of anyone's mental and physical wellbeing - proactively - and that includes the therapists here.   But at some point, our assessments can't be qualified.  Being honest about her place in the pantheon cannot be viewed as "less than respect or support".  It does no one any good to blow smoke up her skirt, and in fact that's perhaps why she even got where she was in the first place.   I get that sensitivity is an important thing, but the cold hard facts still have to control.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2021, 01:02:14 PM »

I am truly sorry you are going through that, and I appreciate your perspective.  But I don't think those that feel differently about "anything less than respect and support for her is unacceptable" are necessarily stigmatizing her condition or criticizing her.  IMO, it isn't that binary.  People can (and, in at least many cases, are) respect and support her while also being disappointed, for any number of reasons.  I wholeheartedly agree that mental health issues should not be stigmatized, and that society at large needs to work hard to overcome any stigmatization.  But I don't see what most of us are saying as that.

All that being said, I am open to hearing more of your perspective.  But I don't think it is likely very productive for me to say much more myself.  I've given my opinion, but I don't want to argue with you or dig in and make you feel like I am being insensitive to what I am saying.  But by all means, feel free to continue to post and share more if you are inclined.  I would love to hear more from your perspective.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2021, 01:25:23 PM »
Not to harp on the Simone Biles situation too much as we’ve all shared how we feel about it, but I do think she’ll be back and when she does come back, she’ll be even better. I’m sure she doesn’t take her decision lightly, and if she puts in the necessary work, she’ll come out of this stronger. I’m not gonna go into details about my mental health here as I don’t think this is the place (if I decide to go into detail I’ll either find or make a thread about it so anyone here who wants to can discuss their struggles in a safe space), but nothing puts a chip on someone’s shoulder quite like their mind not allowing them to do what they normally can. We have not seen the last of Simone Biles, but for now, her focus should be on herself, while our focus should be on the other incredible world class athletes that we have the privilege of watching compete.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2021, 01:58:26 PM »
I'm a winter Olympics guy myself.  But lately, the only sports I watch are PGA and Nascar periodically.  The Olympics aren't anything close to what they used to be.  Of course, that goes for just about anything these days.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2021, 02:42:59 PM »
Not to harp on the Simone Biles situation too much as we’ve all shared how we feel about it, but I do think she’ll be back and when she does come back, she’ll be even better. I’m sure she doesn’t take her decision lightly, and if she puts in the necessary work, she’ll come out of this stronger. I’m not gonna go into details about my mental health here as I don’t think this is the place (if I decide to go into detail I’ll either find or make a thread about it so anyone here who wants to can discuss their struggles in a safe space), but nothing puts a chip on someone’s shoulder quite like their mind not allowing them to do what they normally can. We have not seen the last of Simone Biles, but for now, her focus should be on herself, while our focus should be on the other incredible world class athletes that we have the privilege of watching compete.

And I should have said this in my first post, but thoughts are with you. I hope you find your way forward.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2021, 03:38:57 PM »

If we had a "like" button here, I'd be liking your post.  Thanks for saying this.  FWIW, I agree with your line of thinking about SB.

And in continuing to think about the whole GOAT situation today I found myself musing about how the pandemic has impacted so many people.  A simple Google search shows us that mental health issues including anxiety, depression, and suicide, have all peaked with the pandemic by very significant numbers.  It shouldn't surprise anyone that someone with a history of severe sexual abuse/trauma who has had their plans for competition pulled out from underneath them at almost the last moment (2020) now under a microscope of enormous pressure and trying to perform under very strange and atypical circumstances (no crowd support, constant Covid testing, likely isolation from others) could potentially succumb. 

I actually find myself admiring her even more now because she has the guts to call it what it is and saying this is what she needs to do for herself and her teammates (not bring them down from a chance at a medal).  She is like a beacon of light for people struggling with mental health issues right now.  She's showing the world they can take the stigma attached to mental health issues and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.  Her lack of ego is refreshing.  Would that more athletes had those qualities.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2021, 03:47:56 PM »
You never bothered to look into LeBron's childhood before making that comment, did you?

I knew what his upbringing was long before making that comment.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2021, 05:13:54 PM »

That's how I feel.

Yeah...  And I also think it is understandable and "fine" to simultaneously feel sympathetic for her and want to not be judgmental while also feeling disappointed in her that she let her teammates down.  That's about how I feel, and I don't think that is even remotely "jumping down her throat," as Grappler put it.  But, again, on the latter point, I am also fine with letting that go and realizing that, ultimately, it is between her and her teammates.

Well, sure of course it is, and at the end if the day I guess that's all that matters. But she is quitting on them. But these are young girls compared to the highly decorated veteran Biles, so I'm pretty sure no one is going to speak up if she feels differently.

If we had a "like" button here, I'd be liking your post.  Thanks for saying this.  FWIW, I agree with your line of thinking about SB.

And in continuing to think about the whole GOAT situation today I found myself musing about how the pandemic has impacted so many people.  A simple Google search shows us that mental health issues including anxiety, depression, and suicide, have all peaked with the pandemic by very significant numbers.  It shouldn't surprise anyone that someone with a history of severe sexual abuse/trauma who has had their plans for competition pulled out from underneath them at almost the last moment (2020) now under a microscope of enormous pressure and trying to perform under very strange and atypical circumstances (no crowd support, constant Covid testing, likely isolation from others) could potentially succumb. 

I actually find myself admiring her even more now because she has the guts to call it what it is and saying this is what she needs to do for herself and her teammates (not bring them down from a chance at a medal).  She is like a beacon of light for people struggling with mental health issues right now.  She's showing the world they can take the stigma attached to mental health issues and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.  Her lack of ego is refreshing.  Would that more athletes had those qualities.

So you guys truly believe Biles is suffering from "mental health issues"? I'm not buying it.

But if she is dealing with a confidence issue, or a self doubt issue, I can get on board with that because that is definitely on the "mental" side of things rather than the "physical" side of things.

I know most teams employ a sports psychologist, but if she's not mentally up to competing, I just don't feel like she should be championed for it. I don't know. I don't see it as brave at all. I think she wasn't up to it and quit.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2021, 05:18:37 PM »

Sorry to hear about your state Count.

If we are equating this episode of Biles as the mental equivalent as "pulling a hammie", then I guess I can understand that. I would never call her not mentally tough. But this pull out just rubs me the wrong way. Sorry, being a dick I guess.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2021, 05:25:25 PM »

Ugh..

If there's one thing she doesn't lack, it's ego.

This is the narrative that will drive me crazy.

Are we having this conversation if she stuck that vault? I doubt it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2021, 05:26:22 PM »
I wouldn't say it's a specific mental health issue, but she is prioritizing her mental health, just as did Osaka. I for one welcome it, we got enough sports to last all of us a lifetime, whave a grave dearth of people putting their mental health ahead of fame and fortune.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2021, 05:28:46 PM »
I wouldn't say it's a specific mental health issue, but she is prioritizing her mental health, just as did Osaka. I for one welcome it, we got enough sports to last all of us a lifetime, whave a grave dearth of people putting their mental health ahead of fame and fortune.

I don't see this on the same level as Osaka in any way shape or form.

And Simon Biles already has fame and fortune...

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2021, 05:39:52 PM »

I beg to differ, I'd guess both situations were centered around tremendous anxiety, so much that the thought of going forward was crippling. One was facing the media, the other was not living up to tremendous expectations.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2021, 05:43:54 PM »

I beg to differ, I'd guess both situations were centered around tremendous anxiety, so much that the thought of going forward was crippling. One was facing the media, the other was not living up to tremendous expectations.

Would she have quit if she scored a 10 on that vault?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2021, 05:55:13 PM »
Who the fuck knows.

I will say this much, as armchair observers it's not our place to place judgements on her. If her teammates want to, sure, they understand the pressure and were most affected by the decision. I think most of us are just trying to assert our own measly understanding into a situation we're grossly unfamiliar with.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2021, 05:59:56 PM »
I believe that once she blew the vault, she cracked.

And I don't think there's anything heroic or symbolic about it. She's a perfectionist, and couldn't deal with the result.

OK, I'm done with this thread, except to come in and laugh at the basketball team.

I'm going to to go P/R to cool down..

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2021, 08:30:21 PM »
This conversation had me intrigued.  I'm not following the Olympics at all and had to google who this girl was.  Eh, none of us are to judge anyone, their mental health or the reasons behind decisions they make, but this screams 'cop out' to me.

You don't get to the Olympics, the world class elite sporting event where the best of the best around the world compete against each other and then pull out due to mental health.  You don't get to that level and then let your team mates and your country down.  People dedicate their lives to get to where she is to compete, people would give anything to get her opportunity and this seems a bit of a spit in the face.  Again, who knows what's going on behind the scenes.  I don't find it heroic at all.  You get through it and lose if you have to, you don't pull out at the start of the race.

Reading the articles annoyed me, but whatever, hopefully she gets the help she needs.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.