Author Topic: 2021 Summer Olympics thread  (Read 12884 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Re: 2021 Summer Olympics thread
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2021, 08:14:21 PM »
I feel like Rugby 7s seems like my kind of game to watch as a healthy medium as a guy that's not a fan of American football and soccer.  You see some solid maneuvering of the ball, there's a fair amount of physicality, and I haven't seen any flopping yet.  The games so far in the qualifying rounds are pretty fast as well. Don't know why Rugby in general isn't a popular sport at all.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2021, 08:15:09 PM »
I'd rather see amateurs in both sports. It's so more enjoyable to root for but the joy of them advancing compared to the pros.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2021, 08:21:56 PM »
You never bothered to look into LeBron's childhood before making that comment, did you?

Darkshades examples were bad, and his wording was poor.  But I mostly agree with his overall point.  But I'll put it another way.  The problem is that athletes and entertainers are often (not always) living in a very sheltered world that does not even remotely resemble the lives of "normal," everyday people.  In some respects, that shouldn't matter.  But in others, I think it really does.  Those that achieve success usually don't experience "normal" life from that point on.  They are typically sheltered, and spend time almost exclusively around those that only tell them how great they are, and they don't have to really deal with responsibility, or consequences for their actions, or the things that, IMO, are often most important and valuable in shaping people to be responsible, productive, functioning members of society.  Again, I'm painting with a broad brush.  It certainly isn't true of all.  But it is true of many.  And while that doesn't necessarily "disqualify" them from being able to speak on important social issues, I strongly feel most of the time that their opinions mean nothing and should be avoided (even when they happen to be right). 

LeBron is an interesting case.  And not because of his upbringing.  There are many athletes and entertainers that come from very difficult, very humble beginnings like him that wind up in the same types of sheltered bubbles that I mentioned above.  And I think LeBron fits that.  BUT he is also one that I think has tried hard to educate himself on issues, and does have credibility in certain respects.  There are many things he speaks out on where, whether I agree with him or not, I feel he is credible and knows what he is talking about.  Other times, I feel he is naive and doesn't understand what he is talking about.  But because he is King James, there are those who will still take what he says as gospel. 

But it is what it is.  I'm not advocating "silencing" anyone.  But I'm not shy about stating my opinion as to why I think it is often very problematic and troubling.  Hope my explanation makes sense.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2021, 08:26:44 PM »
I feel like Rugby 7s seems like my kind of game to watch as a healthy medium as a guy that's not a fan of American football and soccer.  You see some solid maneuvering of the ball, there's a fair amount of physicality, and I haven't seen any flopping yet.  The games so far in the qualifying rounds are pretty fast as well. Don't know why Rugby in general isn't a popular sport at all.

Rugby Union is an interesting case as even the top divisions had strictly enforced amateurism until relatively recently (1995).
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2021, 08:35:34 PM »
On the topic of bringing pros vs guys that are either in college or not playing a pro league, to bring an example, I just don't think the 2010 Winter Olympic men's hockey finals between USA vs Canada would be as epic if the teams were only limited to either guys that are in college or playing in the European league.  To many Canadian fans that watched that game in real time, to them, I think Canada winning gold medal in that particular Olympics meant a lot more than their favorite team (ok, poor example there, since by then it was already 17 years and counting since a Canadian team won the cup)/players winning the Stanley Cup.  On the other hand, if there were no NHL players at that game, Sidney Crosby wouldn't score the OT winning goal and further become the golden child of the NHL and thus hockey media/analysts wouldn't have to keep sucking up to Crosby every chance they get.  Tough trade-off.

I personally like best players on best players if there are enough countries that you see their roster and say, "Yeah, I think they are good enough to win gold," that's exciting enough for me to watch.  I know in hockey, there's like at least 4-5 countries that can be good enough to win gold if NHL players are in it.  Don't know anything from a basketball or soccer perspective though of how bringing pros in various major leagues affect the spirit of the sport.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2021, 08:42:59 PM »
Good points bosk, gonna tap out of that discussion now. This thread should celebrate the stories.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2021, 12:32:13 AM »
That USA vs. China women's volleyball match was pretty epic.  Even though the U.S. got the sweep, it was tight all the way through.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2021, 05:21:28 AM »
I don't mind a little cockiness. That's what makes sports fun!

Remember Riggo? Neon Deion? Michael Irvin?

The difference was these guys could back it up.

Not just that....but for me.....they stuck to the sports and that was that. I'm just not that big a fan of this current era of "superstar" sports figure and how they've been anointed this status of cultural guidance guru's. Not especially given the level of hypocrisy they demonstrate by the way they live their lives. Anyway....that's venturing into a P/R conversation so I'm sorry about that.

That's where I was heading.  I don't mind cockiness on the field when it's between the lines.  Tom Brady.  You want to shut him up?  Win.   After the game, I'm not interested.  Kicking a soccer ball does not make you a qualified social or cultural commentator.

While I agree with your example of Brady athletes  can certainly chew gum and walk at the same time. Do people need a degree in a specific field to be a social or cultural commentator or is that their opinion rubs you the wrong way? There are plenty of popular sports figures that give back to their community far more than anyone else but I will never agree that they "shut up and dribble". That's just plantation talk.

Olympics rock!!!!  :metal

Don't project your narrow-mindedness on me.  I never once ever said or implied "shut up and dribble".  I don't care about whether someone has an opinion or not, and I don't care (well, I do, in a good way) if athletes give back.  It's the reverence placed on those opinions by fans for the simple reason that they CAN kick or throw a ball.  It's the same for any field; playing a guitar doesn't make your opinion matter any more than anyone else's. 

And no, it matters not what the opinion is, and thanks for reading my 1,000 other posts that makes that clear.   :).

EDIT:  What Bosk said.  :)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2021, 05:36:30 AM »
That USA vs. China women's volleyball match was pretty epic.  Even though the U.S. got the sweep, it was tight all the way through.

It was good. I tried to stay up for all of it but was pretty tired. Good to see the USA won it.

One thing that is annoying is this work around that Russia has in place where they essentially still get to compete despite having been busted for doping and supposedly punished for it. It’s clear that was a sham and joke.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2021, 06:15:21 AM »
Lydia Jacoby from Alaska winning gold in 100m breaststroke....big upset over King and the girl from South Africa. They said there's only ONE pool in all of Alaska that is 50 meters long.

Women's Triathlon. First gold medal for the smallest country in the Olympics (not size, but population).....Bermuda. USA girl got the bronze. They did the vast majority of those races in a veritable monsoon.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2021, 06:49:39 AM »
Simone Biles withdraws from competition due to ‘medical issues’

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks this is fishy as it comes on the heels of her admitting the pressure to perform well was getting to her. How can you be the GOAT if you can’t perform under pressure?

If you take it for face value it’s horrible for her to miss this chance because this is what they train for and now she can’t do it. Very sad.

**EDIT**. It’s being reported as a ‘Mental Issue’ now. What the media has done to this woman is completely unfair. While I believe if your the supposed GOAT or whatever you should have the ability to perform under pressure……the lead in and way they placed all the pressure on her to utterly dominate was pretty over the top. I feel for her that it sounds like she basically cracked.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 07:04:08 AM by gmillerdrake »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2021, 06:58:17 AM »
Sucks.. Hopefully she can get back to form for the individual events, she's just so far ahead of everyone else in the field, any competition without her is really one without a top bar.

News just said it was clear there was something wrong after an awkward landing from the vault, she's still slated on the individual events but will be assessed daily.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2021, 07:16:33 AM »
Reading about Biles and the Tennis star who pulled out of Wimbledon makes me wonder how Tom Brady can stay so focused for 20 years at the level he has.  So much circus with the league and he can focus still and preform at the highest level when it matters. I have trouble at work focusing when I'm depressed. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2021, 07:20:52 AM »
Reading about Biles and the Tennis star who pulled out of Wimbledon makes me wonder how Tom Brady can stay so focused for 20 years at the level he has.  So much circus with the league and he can focus still and preform at the highest level when it matters. I have trouble at work focusing when I'm depressed.

Who fucking cares. Let's keep Brady out of the Olympics thread, ok buddy?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2021, 07:42:09 AM »

Who fucking cares. Let's keep Brady out of the Olympics thread, ok buddy?

:lol

No I'm saying in all professional sports you are seeing many breaking down mentally.  You'd think dealing with "the gates" suspension, his mom having cancer that he didn't have that sort of moment.

You see a lot more of athletes not handling the pressure lately.  Maybe it's the added stress of Covid.  Just of late, we are seeing stress for athletes.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2021, 07:42:37 AM »
Or maybe they are more willing to admit it?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2021, 07:46:39 AM »

Probably this. I love that people like Osaka put their mental health first, it goes to great lengths towards normalizing the issue for the masses.

This incident with Biles sounds like it was an actual I jury, maybe not totally debilitating, but where she took herself out to save herself for the individual events maybe.

And you know I have nothing but respect for Brady and am just breaking balls of course.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2021, 07:53:55 AM »
There is some speculation that Simone bowed out because wasn't hitting her jumps like she has been and she's not injured which could be harmful to the team overall. I don't watch gymnastics so I am just passing information along.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2021, 08:24:10 AM »

Probably this. I love that people like Osaka put their mental health first, it goes to great lengths towards normalizing the issue for the masses.

This incident with Biles sounds like it was an actual I jury, maybe not totally debilitating, but where she took herself out to save herself for the individual events maybe.

And you know I have nothing but respect for Brady and am just breaking balls of course.

But of course.  No matter if it's mental stress or an injury it's a shame to go to the highest moment and have to pull out. 

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2021, 08:45:21 AM »
I admire Biles and Naomi a lot. Sucks that they are out. I think Biles had something else going on besides the mental issue. What she does is incredible but there is so much force the body can take with those landings. Specially those moves that she was doing were she was the only one that has ever done it (don't know the name of the move lol).

By the way, Netflix has a great documentary on Naomi that was just released.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2021, 09:09:34 AM »
I admire Biles and Naomi a lot. Sucks that they are out. I think Biles had something else going on besides the mental issue. What she does is incredible but there is so much force the body can take with those landings. Specially those moves that she was doing were she was the only one that has ever done it (don't know the name of the move lol).

By the way, Netflix has a great documentary on Naomi that was just released.

Yeah I just saw one report that said she landed awkward, briefly chatted with her coach to pull out. She left with the medical team and came back with her ankle taped.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2021, 09:27:10 AM »
Biles came out and said she withdrew for mental reasons, stating she wasn't in a good place after facing so much pressure to win.

Damn...

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2021, 09:55:40 AM »
Biles came out and said she withdrew for mental reasons, stating she wasn't in a good place after facing so much pressure to win.

Damn...

While this is sad for her and the sport.....I personally thing this eliminates the talk of her being the GOAT. I'm sorry to sound insensitive.....but plain and simple GOAT's don't fold under pressure. They perform better under it. 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2021, 10:02:31 AM »

Damn...

While this is sad for her and the sport.....I personally thing this eliminates the talk of her being the GOAT. I'm sorry to sound insensitive.....but plain and simple GOAT's don't fold under pressure. They perform better under it.

I completely disagree. Imagine trying to be the best when the voting committee are actively punishing you for being better than everybody else. She’s endured bias her entire career. And let’s look at it another way: one of the things that makes these once in a generation talents so great is the constant work they put in to get better. They outwork all of their contemporaries. Tom Brady was carried his first few starting seasons with the Patriots, but his work ethic is what pushed him to be the greatest quarterback of all time (yes I begrudgingly concede). Maintaining your mental strength is part of that, so Biles withdrawing to work on her mental health is another part of that work ethic and drive to be the very best she can be.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2021, 10:08:27 AM »

Damn...

I completely disagree. Imagine trying to be the best when the voting committee are actively punishing you for being better than everybody else. She’s endured bias her entire career. And let’s look at it another way: one of the things that makes these once in a generation talents so great is the constant work they put in to get better. They outwork all of their contemporaries. Tom Brady was carried his first few starting seasons with the Patriots, but his work ethic is what pushed him to be the greatest quarterback of all time (yes I begrudgingly concede). Maintaining your mental strength is part of that, so Biles withdrawing to work on her mental health is another part of that work ethic and drive to be the very best she can be.

I don't think you and I will agree on this.....which is fine. I'm pretty cut and dried when it comes to sports figures performing. That's the field they've CHOSEN. Unless you're from Russia or China where you're essentially forced to do it your whole life......you've chose that sport and to undergo the constant work and training. You've enjoyed the perks and lavishness that the fame bring you....the sponsorship money and all that comes with it. So, if you're going to be branded and sold as the GOAT or whatever....it's essentially your job to perform like it. When you don't....IMO....you don't deserve the credit for being something you're basically not.

Biles is truly talented and is leaps and bounds more skilled than the other gymnasts. But, she did crack under the pressure and IMO that is not something a supposed GOAT does. The true GOATS....Tiger....Brady.....Gretzky....they perform under pressure....not wilt away.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2021, 10:29:19 AM »

But of course.  No matter if it's mental stress or an injury it's a shame to go to the highest moment and have to pull out.

Phrasing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2021, 10:31:52 AM »

Damn...

Isn't she already the GOAT? It is a definite taint though. I agree with RJ. I just watched the vault and her talking to her teammates. She just fucking quit on them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2021, 10:34:25 AM »

Damn...

I don't think you and I will agree on this.....which is fine. I'm pretty cut and dried when it comes to sports figures performing. That's the field they've CHOSEN. Unless you're from Russia or China where you're essentially forced to do it your whole life......you've chose that sport and to undergo the constant work and training. You've enjoyed the perks and lavishness that the fame bring you....the sponsorship money and all that comes with it. So, if you're going to be branded and sold as the GOAT or whatever....it's essentially your job to perform like it. When you don't....IMO....you don't deserve the credit for being something you're basically not.

Biles is truly talented and is leaps and bounds more skilled than the other gymnasts. But, she did crack under the pressure and IMO that is not something a supposed GOAT does. The true GOATS....Tiger....Brady.....Gretzky....they perform under pressure....not wilt away.

I'm kind of with you on this Gary.  I have deep sympathy for her, and I hope she gets all the care - physical, mental, emotional - that she needs, as a human being, to be as healthy as she can be. That goes without saying and is just simple human compassion.  But we have to realize that not all options are open for all people.  We don't give her the GOAT just to be nice or to be sympathetic.  That's a participation trophy at that point.   Who was the guy who popped the landing and his ankle snapped, but he still landed it?  Tim Daggett?  Some people can persevere more than others, and to be the "GREATEST OF ALL TIME" means exactly that:  you have persevered more than ANYONE, EVER.   She's really, really, REALLY good, maybe even really, really great, but not THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME.  No harm no foul in that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2021, 10:45:21 AM »
^Or Kerri Strugg.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4um3YEX51k  I remember watching that when it happened, and I couldn't help but tear up.  One of the most amazing things I have ever seen.

As far as Biles, my kneejerk reaction is along the lines of what Gary posted.  But that being said, I can't pretend to know what is actually going on with her, or what happened, or why.  She doesn't need or deserve my half-baked judgment, so I'm not going to play judge.  If she up and quit on her teammates when the pressure became too much, that's between her and them, and not really my business. 

But I am hoping we get to see some more cool stories come out of these Olympics.  That's one of the things that can make them so fun to watch.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2021, 10:50:23 AM »
"Cracking under pressure."  There are probably a lot of definitions for that phrase.  Would substance abuse count?  Would skipping the US Open to enter rehab be "quitting?"  I mean, it could even be possible that the biggest GOAT you can think of can tell you of a time when they "cracked under pressure" but don't really want to have that out there in public sphere.

Is it fair to compare athletes against one another when their backgrounds and life experiences could potentially be VASTLY different?

Yeah, sure - those "GOATs" (I really hate that term TBH) probably all had some sort of adversity to overcome in their lives.  They all probably have stories we'll never even know about.  But someone once said, "Don't judge another person until you've walked a mile in their shoes."

I don't know what is truly going on with SB and neither does anyone on this thread.  Is she a GOAT?  Why does it truly even matter?  I respect her abilities, her training, her perseverance, her commitment, her grace, and her style.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2021, 10:58:36 AM »
"Cracking under pressure."  There are probably a lot of definitions for that phrase.  Would substance abuse count?  Would skipping the US Open to enter rehab be "quitting?"  I mean, it could even be possible that the biggest GOAT you can think of can tell you of a time when they "cracked under pressure" but don't really want to have that out there in public sphere.

Is it fair to compare athletes against one another when their backgrounds and life experiences could potentially be VASTLY different?

Yeah, sure - those "GOATs" (I really hate that term TBH) probably all had some sort of adversity to overcome in their lives.  They all probably have stories we'll never even know about.  But someone once said, "Don't judge another person until you've walked a mile in their shoes."

I don't know what is truly going on with SB and neither does anyone on this thread.  Is she a GOAT?  Why does it truly even matter?  I respect her abilities, her training, her perseverance, her commitment, her grace, and her style.

We're veering into pretty dice-y territory here, because I'm not sure how "absolute" I want to be here, but that's one of the great things about sport for me.  Between the lines, it's all the same.  I've already written that I'm not a huge fan of every athlete now having a "back story".   You pitch, I hit, and may the better person win, and it doesn't matter IN THAT MOMENT whether I came from poverty or not, or whether I overcame scoliosis or not, or whether my mom was a crack whore or not.   I still had to put in the work I had to do to get there, and I still either hit the ball or I didn't. 

Sport is the ultimate metaphor in so many ways, and one of those ways is that it doesn't always reduce down to what we would think of as "fair" in the cosmic sense of the word.  If sport (life) was fair, the Yanks would have won the World Series in 2001, yet they didn't on a heartbreaking flair hit off the greatest relief pitcher in the game.  But they didn't.  If sport (life) was fair, Mike Mussina would have a perfect game and at least one no-hitter (unlike Clemens).   But he doesn't.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2021, 11:01:29 AM »
Yeah, sure - those "GOATs" (I really hate that term TBH) ...Is she a GOAT?  Why does it truly even matter?  I respect her abilities, her training, her perseverance, her commitment, her grace, and her style.

Yeah, it's an interesting phenomenon.  I think we're (collectively) just in love with the idea of being eyewitness to "once-in-a-lifetime" phenomena, and as a society, seemingly can't help chasing that ideal.  Not sure what else to say about that, other than that it is sort of fascinating that humans do that, and that it is a rather odd obsession.

"Don't judge another person until you've walked a mile in their shoes."  ...

I don't know what is truly ​going on with SB and neither does anyone on this thread. 

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was trying to say.  :tup

Offline pg1067

« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2021, 11:01:46 AM »
Philosophically, I think amateurism fits best with the Olympic ideal of the world coming together through sport, whereas pro athletes flips the balance a bit more towards the inter-nation genital measuring contest. But that's just my preference.  I think there are pros and cons to both sides, especially in todays modern climate where even the amateurs are getting massive amounts of state funding in certain key sports.

I think part of my problem with having pros in the Olympics comes from the historical perspective.  Traditionally, the modern Olympics were about amateurs.  Then, in the 1970s, Americans began bitching about the fact that Soviet and and other Warsaw Pact countries were fielding teams of professionals disguised as amateurs.  If anyone doesn't know this, what was happening is that the best players were given ranks in the armed forces but, instead, of working as soldiers, they spent all their time training and practicing.  One of the big reasons the U.S.'s victory over the USSR in ice hockey in 1980 was such a big deal was because the U.S. team was truly a team of amateurs (mostly college players) playing against professionals from the Soviet Union.  In 1984 and 1988, things returned to "normal," with the Soviet Union winning gold both years with a 17-1 record and allowing only 23 goals over 18 games.

At the same time, the Soviet Union was breaking up, and the 1988 games were the last time that the Soviet Union competed at the games (they competed as "the Unified Team" and the "Commonwealth of Independent States" in 1992 and won gold in ice hockey).  Also at the same time, the United States had a long streak of gold medals in basketball (broken only by the farce that occurred in 1972, which is a different subject entirely).  However, in 1988, the Soviet Union managed to beat the United States for the gold, and this was an outrage that could not be tolerated.

The U.S. Olympic Committee "lobbied heavily to get the rules changed" (i.e., demanded a rule change) to allow professionals so that the U.S. could again be dominant in Olympic basketball.  These efforts succeeded, leading to such compelling and iconic games as the U.S.'s 116-48 win over vaunted powerhouse Angola.  NHL players didn't end up in Olympic ice hockey until 1998 (needless to say, that wasn't as much of a priority for the U.S. as basketball).

So...given that the reason why professionals came to play in the Olympics was not a result of simply wanting the best players to complete, I still have a bit of a problem with it.  But I recognize that my view is rather jaded and may not be popular.

Two other things:

- Apparently some internet bozos were triggered by the Australian swimming coach's spontaneous celebration, which they have characterized as "toxic masculinity."   :facepalm: :facepalm:

- My son shared something with me about how the U.S. apparently didn't do well in the skateboarding competition.  He said, "well...that's what happens when you have to send skateboarders who can pass the Olympic drug tests.

Damn...

I completely disagree. . . .

I don't think you and I will agree on this.....which is fine. . . .

I'm with G on this.  Putting aside all the fluffy, puffy stuff (and I don't know thing 1 about gymnastics), you can't be the GOAT if you don't actually compete (regardless of the reason).  I also agree that, in addition to having talent, true GOATs handle the pressure that comes with being the best.  They thrive under the pressure and don't succumb to it.  A true champion doesn't quit in the middle of a competition "to work on her mental health."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2021, 11:03:05 AM »
Well, entering rehab would definitely not count as quitting, so we'll see. I'm never married to my opinions and I am definitely open. But to me, whose opinion is not likely off base, but doesn't matter in the slightest, it seemed like she had a bad vault and quit. Like she couldn't handle it.

I look at the pro golfer who blows a tournament on the front 9. But they have to trudge on. ON THE SURFACE, it just seemed like she didn't want to do that.

Sorry RJ, but did Tom Brady quit when they were down 28-3, and tell his teammates that he's been to other Super Bowls, and that this was their first and to go enjoy it? Nope. He led his team to victory. Something Biles (at east for now to me) wasn't willing to do.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2021, 11:05:16 AM »
GODDAMMIT NO BRADY TALK IN THIS THREAD