Author Topic: 2021 Summer Olympics thread  (Read 13066 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: 2021 Summer Olympics thread
« Reply #210 on: August 10, 2021, 12:41:13 PM »
While the ratings were not great at all on the Teli, I thought I heard a stat. that there were more than 8 million streaming viewers over something like 6 streaming platforms. Those numbers have to be taken into account. I heard this on NPR at lunch.

I heard that segment too, and it makes perfect sense when you think about it. Television networks would purposely not run prime time shows during the Olympics because of the competition for eyes. Your choices were either a limited number of commercial filled re-runs or the Olympics. People used to watch the Olympics because of lack of options, not because it was what they found entertaining.

I'm not sure about this streaming thing. As much as I like sports, it makes more sense for me to keep DirectTV rather than sign up for 20 different streaming channels.
I'm going on almost 7 years of streaming only and have no complaints. Netflix, Prime, HBO, and Discovery+ are all I need. I could realistically do without Prime as well, but I have that primarily for music streaming and package delivery.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #211 on: August 10, 2021, 12:41:29 PM »
I'm not sure about this streaming thing. As much as I like sports, it makes more sense for me to keep DirectTV rather than sign up for 20 different streaming channels.

If you try to replicate having cable TV by cord cutting/streaming, it will cast you more money.   Sports is the big roadblock for cord cutting - but there are options that will get you the majority of what you might want to watch.

I have Youtube TV ($65) for standard network/cable tv/sports, Netflix ($14) and Disney+ (Prepaid for 3 years, equalling $3-ish/mo).   Sometimes I'll pick up Hulu for a month or two, or maybe HBO.  Do I miss out on some things?   Yes.  Am I worried about that?  No.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #212 on: August 10, 2021, 02:20:27 PM »
^^ You suppose the time zone differences in live coverage made a difference?  It's rough to watch when an event that's going on a 6:00 PM their time is like 2:00 AM in California.  I mean I could get away with that back in 2014 where I was watching hockey at 2:00 AM at the Winter Games and had a relaxed schedule in community college.  Not so much nowadays with a regular job.

Brazil games was excellent when it comes to timing of watching coverage.

Could have very well been a good reason also. The fact that by the time I could watch anything it wasn't live made it that much less interesting as well.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #213 on: August 10, 2021, 03:08:45 PM »

If you try to replicate having cable TV by cord cutting/streaming, it will cast you more money.   Sports is the big roadblock for cord cutting - but there are options that will get you the majority of what you might want to watch.

I have Youtube TV ($65) for standard network/cable tv/sports, Netflix ($14) and Disney+ (Prepaid for 3 years, equalling $3-ish/mo).   Sometimes I'll pick up Hulu for a month or two, or maybe HBO.  Do I miss out on some things?   Yes.  Am I worried about that?  No.

I'm happy with my streaming... got Netflix, Prime, CBS, D+, Hulu (free with Spotify) and HBO (free with phone), so maybe 40/mo-ish