Author Topic: 2021 Summer Olympics thread  (Read 13029 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2021 Summer Olympics thread
« Reply #175 on: August 03, 2021, 07:04:59 AM »
Can't wait for Armand Duplantis finals in the pole vault.

And it's a gold!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #176 on: August 03, 2021, 07:11:11 AM »
Happy Biles was able to get up there again and preform, I was kind of worried she might spiral down the lack of self confidence wormhole.

Haven't watched the replay but apparently she chose a different technique to get off the beam (less complicated?) and that cost some points in the overall score.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #177 on: August 03, 2021, 07:52:33 AM »
Happy Biles was able to get up there again and preform, I was kind of worried she might spiral down the lack of self confidence wormhole.

Haven't watched the replay but apparently she chose a different technique to get off the beam (less complicated?) and that cost some points in the overall score.

Wouldn't surprise me.. I'd gather her competing was more to 'get back on the horse' so to speak, than shooting for gold

Offline pg1067

« Reply #178 on: August 03, 2021, 10:49:51 AM »
Did anyone watch the 400m hurdle final?

This was a marquee event in my mind going back to Edwin Moses at the 1984 Los Angeles games.  He was SO MUCH better than everyone else and still holds the 11th best time in history.

Anyway...the two favorites in the final were a Norwegian guy (Karstein Warholm) and an American guy (Rai Benjamin).  Warholm held the world record going in at 46.70.  Benjamin's personal best (and, before the final, fourth best time in history) was 46.83.  Warholm got off the blocks very fast and took an early lead.  Because of the staggered start, it's sometimes hard to tell who's in the lead early, but you could see that Warholm was getting to each hurdle clearly before everyone else.  After they came around the final turn, Benjamin was closing the gap, and the announcers were screaming that Warholm would run out of gas and be caught by Benjamin.  In the end, Benjamin broke the world record by MORE THAN A HALF SECOND (46.17).  Unfortunately for him, Warholm shifted into another gear after the final hurdle and won going away with a ridiculous time of 45.94!

What's even more crazy about this is that 45.94 is less than 3 seconds off the world record for the 400m dash -- i.e., running the same distance but without hurdles!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #179 on: August 03, 2021, 01:06:34 PM »
Did anyone watch the 400m hurdle final?

This was a marquee event in my mind going back to Edwin Moses at the 1984 Los Angeles games.  He was SO MUCH better than everyone else and still holds the 11th best time in history.

Anyway...the two favorites in the final were a Norwegian guy (Karstein Warholm) and an American guy (Rai Benjamin).  Warholm held the world record going in at 46.70.  Benjamin's personal best (and, before the final, fourth best time in history) was 46.83.  Warholm got off the blocks very fast and took an early lead.  Because of the staggered start, it's sometimes hard to tell who's in the lead early, but you could see that Warholm was getting to each hurdle clearly before everyone else.  After they came around the final turn, Benjamin was closing the gap, and the announcers were screaming that Warholm would run out of gas and be caught by Benjamin.  In the end, Benjamin broke the world record by MORE THAN A HALF SECOND (46.17).  Unfortunately for him, Warholm shifted into another gear after the final hurdle and won going away with a ridiculous time of 45.94!

What's even more crazy about this is that 45.94 is less than 3 seconds off the world record for the 400m dash -- i.e., running the same distance but without hurdles!

I cannot even FATHOM breaking the world record and by that much.... and still losing the race.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #180 on: August 03, 2021, 01:12:05 PM »
That was a two man race, basically.  Warholm managed to find that little extra when Benjamin was closing in.  Benjamin didn't get off to a great start, but he closed well, it's just that Warholm found his 6th gear. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #181 on: August 03, 2021, 03:28:44 PM »
I cannot even FATHOM breaking the world record and by that much.... and still losing the race.

Right?!  The announcers were all screaming about how Benjamin was closing and then....

That was a two man race, basically.  Warholm managed to find that little extra when Benjamin was closing in.  Benjamin didn't get off to a great start, but he closed well, it's just that Warholm found his 6th gear. 

Exactly.  I don't follow track and field at all (except for the Olympics), but I've never seen a guy lead such a fast start and then accelerate down the stretch when it looks like the #2 guy is going to catch him.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lethean

« Reply #182 on: August 03, 2021, 09:36:08 PM »
I saw the men's race last night and it was awesome, and then the same thing happened in the women's 400m hurdles today.  Both gold and silver broke the existing world record.  Pretty exciting stuff.

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #183 on: August 04, 2021, 05:58:05 AM »
I saw the men's race last night and it was awesome, and then the same thing happened in the women's 400m hurdles today.  Both gold and silver broke the existing world record.  Pretty exciting stuff.

Agreed. McLaughlin and Muhammad are amazing. So much poise by McLaughlin to be able to track Muhammad down in those last 50 meters.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #184 on: August 04, 2021, 04:47:04 PM »
A glimpse into the 2032 Games:   :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GnBLV5xcdY
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline pg1067

« Reply #185 on: August 04, 2021, 05:15:28 PM »
A glimpse into the 2032 Games:   :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GnBLV5xcdY

That was so good (and for some reason, the Aussie announcers made it better)!  I would totally watch that.  Reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1ZYTQToX9A

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #186 on: August 04, 2021, 11:29:28 PM »
Aussie announcers always make stuff better...Ozzy Man proves that time and time again... his call of Katelyn Ohashi's floor routine in pure gold.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: August 05, 2021, 07:39:10 AM »
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #188 on: August 06, 2021, 09:00:39 AM »
USA women’s soccer team losing  to Canada may have been a shocker but That might have just made my Olympics.

I imagine I feel like many people do when they see Tom Brady lose.  They were so built up, with the commercials and all that, that even though I'm not a schadenfraude kind of guy, I can understand the emotion.

Them losing to Canada is a shocker... Sweden on the other hand is the real deal, that team is crushing it.

Penalty kicks is a crappy way to win, but we'll take it!!!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #189 on: August 06, 2021, 09:37:59 AM »
Italy won also 20 KM march and 4x100, we're the fastest in the world  :metal :metal :metal

National record of medals won in our entire Games history  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #190 on: August 06, 2021, 12:04:03 PM »
USA women’s soccer team losing  to Canada may have been a shocker but That might have just made my Olympics.

I imagine I feel like many people do when they see Tom Brady lose.  They were so built up, with the commercials and all that, that even though I'm not a schadenfraude kind of guy, I can understand the emotion.

Them losing to Canada is a shocker... Sweden on the other hand is the real deal, that team is crushing it.

Penalty kicks is a crappy way to win, but we'll take it!!!

Yes we will!  :tup

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #191 on: August 06, 2021, 04:57:06 PM »
USA basketball for the Gold!!!! Let's do it!  :metal

Offline Lethean

« Reply #192 on: August 06, 2021, 09:40:58 PM »
Italy won also 20 KM march and 4x100, we're the fastest in the world  :metal :metal :metal

National record of medals won in our entire Games history  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

I saw that relay - good stuff!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: August 07, 2021, 05:10:39 AM »

I saw that relay - good stuff!

The way the Italian anchor tracked down GB to win by 1/100th was incredible.  Same with DeGrasse coming from a very distant 5th to overtake Jamaica and China for Bronze.  That was a thrilling 36 seconds.

*awaits someone to quote The Office*
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #194 on: August 07, 2021, 06:31:33 AM »
That was a thrilling 36 seconds.

That's what she said  ;D

Anyway, poor England, they haven't still recovered from the Wembleydoom of Euro 2020 and now they lose for one split moment of a second again against Italy  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #195 on: August 08, 2021, 07:49:03 AM »
I just amazed that the IOC was able to pull it off in the first place. I would have bet money that they would cancel midway through the tourney...

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: August 08, 2021, 08:17:22 AM »
I just amazed that the IOC was able to pull it off in the first place. I would have bet money that they would cancel midway through the tourney...

I'm amazed there were no significant delays, reschedules, or outright cancellation of events.  Kudos to all the planners organizers and everyone involved.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #197 on: August 08, 2021, 09:46:53 AM »
http://twitter.com/i/status/1424305458320392201

Piers Morgan is an annoying prick (objectively speaking).

« Reply #198 on: August 08, 2021, 10:10:12 AM »
Some of the more notable (and often more relatively obscure) things that made a big impression on me.....about these Olympic games in Tokyo (primarily beyond what has already been mentioned in this thread):

- NBC's coverage. Certainly there were some hiccups along the way, but they managed to pull off a wonderful presentation....with multiple channels, and excellent camera work...in a trying, pandemic altered, multi-day event. Also, the connecting to the families so they could congratulate their athletes was a really nice touch.

- So along those lines.....Caleb Dressel, USA men's swimming. Not only his excellence in his events, but his emotions during the esp. the one interview. His entire family/friends watch party was connected and he just completely lost it. Genuine emotion. He couldn't actually speak it was so overwhelming for him. Makes you stop and appreciate what these athletes go through and their level of commitment.

- THE MOST DOMINANT PERFORMANCE. And I mean not by total medals or even consistency throughout multiple Olympics. The 14 year old diver from China....Quan Hongchan. OMG....did you see this girl? She can't be much over 4 and a half feet tall. She pulls a Nadia Comaneci (if you don't recognize THAT name, look it up!) with THREE PERFECT 10's (EVERY JUDGE) in the 10 meter platform. She comes from a poor farming family.....and her mother needs long term medical care after a bad accident. To see her focus on those dives, and then her elation after she realized she won the gold medal was INCREDIBLE. She nailed ever single dive STRAIGHT into the water EVERY TIME. Virtually NO SPLASH.....and not because she's so small. It's kind of a thing for China to do this....seemingly every one of their female divers is a young teen, and then you won't see them again in the next Olympics. I would not usually watch diving, but in the Olympics it's amazing how much you are drawn to the spirit of the competition. And this girl was just FIERCE.

- Simone Biles getting a medal after doubting her own confidence. The entire situation has been bandied about pro and con ad nauseum....so refraining from re-opening that discussion. But I'm proud of her for coming back like that and getting a bronze medal. Simultaneously, it's the most disappointing (not in her, but in what could have been). If she was on her game, she would have dominated similar to the diver.

- Another thing I would not normally watch. Synchronized (artistic) swimming (team). The ROC won the gold because of their precision/timing. But the ENERGY of the Chinese team was phenomenal. Holy crap. The music was BOSS and intense too. They won the silver, but I thought their routine was more compelling. Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6jEtbwPzVg

- Speaking of BOSS. And not a big fan of his (but don't want to go down THAT rabbit hole here!), but Bruce Springsteen's daughter. Equestrian competition. Won a medal. The boss's daughter gets to be the boss at the dinner table there.

- Allyson Felix. All time most decorated USA track athlete. FIFTH Olympics. 11 medals now, passing Carl Lewis. 35 years old and new mother. Incredible.

- USA heavyweight wrestler Gable Stevenson. Beat multi time Georgian (country not state!) world champion wrestler Geno Petriashvili in literally the last SECOND of the match. He was trailing 8-5 with about 30 seconds left to go....and was able to secure two takedowns, including the last with essentially ZERO time on the clock. Dramatic victory!

- Water polo. Just in general. Sounds a bit prissy on the surface (no pun intended), but it's a bad ass sport. You want to talk about tough? Them and the rugby players get my vote there! The things that go on during those matches....unconscionable.

- All the world records broken, seemingly across every competition. Seemed like perhaps more than any other Olympics?

- All of the FIRSTS. So many countries/athletes breaking through that normally do not medal! Wow! Again, more than any other Olympics?

Yes, I watched a lot of the higher profile sports too. I'm a big basketball fan, so I did enjoy watching the men's team bounce back after some early adversity and winning gold against a tough French team. Though, yes....they are expected to win, so not as awesome as some of the other things mentioned. The American ladies took care of business there as well. Katie Ladecky.....awesome, after losing to the Australian, Titmus, earlier. USA women's volleyball won first gold medal ever. That was very cool.

But by and large it was a lot of those less covered sports during the time away from the Olympics that garnered most of my attention. I think it's because you don't see them, and it's DIFFERENT when the athletes in those sports are representing their country in this way. Despite COVID and all of the political wranglings going on around the world.....athletes united and showed their spirit. Gets me every time.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #199 on: August 08, 2021, 10:37:08 AM »
I was watching the Chinese sync team this morning, just amazing, and that music was so fucking dope.

The Chinese diver was the show stealer though, perfection personified.

Another I enjoyed was the women's karate kumite final, the Bulgarian women trying to hold it together to bow to the mat after winning gold was too much.

« Reply #200 on: August 08, 2021, 12:05:07 PM »
I was watching the Chinese sync team this morning, just amazing, and that music was so fucking dope.

The Chinese diver was the show stealer though, perfection personified.

Another I enjoyed was the women's karate kumite final, the Bulgarian women trying to hold it together to bow to the mat after winning gold was too much.

:tup

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #201 on: August 09, 2021, 07:08:14 AM »
That was a thrilling 36 seconds.

Anyway, poor England, they haven't still recovered from the Wembleydoom of Euro 2020 and now they lose for one split moment of a second again against Italy  :D

Yeah but it turns out we are awesome at BMX (who knew...)  ;D

Offline pg1067

« Reply #202 on: August 09, 2021, 12:30:14 PM »
I agree that NBC's coverage was good, and the easy ability to flip between big NBC, USA, NBCSN and the Olympic Channel made it easy to find something I wanted to watch.

As a result, for probably the first time ever, I didn't see a single second of gymnastics.  At one point, I flipped to water ballet (still can't believe they call that an Olympic "sport") and immediately switched to another network.

I watched a lot of volleyball - mostly women's.  The gold medal game was pretty rad.  Not particularly close, but I'm definitely more of a fan of indoor volleyball than I was before.  As I think I posted above, the beach volleyball was kind of boring.  Also, the libero on the U.S. women's team went to the high school my kids attend.  Hoping she makes an appearance with her medal.

Also watched more water polo than ever.  That is, indeed, a brutal sport, and I'm amazed there aren't more bloody/broken noses.

I wasn't able to catch as much track and field as I would have liked (especially the field events).  I don't think I saw any javelin or discuss or triple jump, and I only saw a small bit of high jump and pole vault.

I also thought it odd that they kept the "Tokyo 2020" label.

Only six months until the winter Olympics!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #203 on: August 10, 2021, 11:10:32 AM »
This was the first time I can remember where I had little to zero interest in the Olympics. I don't know if it had to do with no crowds so the excitement wasn't there or that I just don't particularly care about the majority of the summer events.....but when I did watch I was bored to death. The only excitement I gleaned from these games were a few of the swimming races but outside of that the rest didn't captivate me at all.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #204 on: August 10, 2021, 11:29:08 AM »
^^ You suppose the time zone differences in live coverage made a difference?  It's rough to watch when an event that's going on a 6:00 PM their time is like 2:00 AM in California.  I mean I could get away with that back in 2014 where I was watching hockey at 2:00 AM at the Winter Games and had a relaxed schedule in community college.  Not so much nowadays with a regular job.

Brazil games was excellent when it comes to timing of watching coverage.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #205 on: August 10, 2021, 11:33:00 AM »
The ratings took a nose dive too.  Something like 45% down.  This article correctly points to the negativity as a part of that, but limits that negativity to that of the pandemic. Most of the mainstream press has avoided any other rationales for the decline, though Jay Busbee (I think accurately) allows that politics accounts for some of the decline.

It shouldn't surprise anyone but as you move from left to right in terms of media sources, the reasons become more varied and nuanced than just "pandemic".

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #206 on: August 10, 2021, 12:10:06 PM »
While the ratings were not great at all on the Teli, I thought I heard a stat. that there were more than 8 million streaming viewers over something like 6 streaming platforms. Those numbers have to be taken into account. I heard this on NPR at lunch.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #207 on: August 10, 2021, 12:13:56 PM »
^^ You suppose the time zone differences in live coverage made a difference?  It's rough to watch when an event that's going on a 6:00 PM their time is like 2:00 AM in California.  I mean I could get away with that back in 2014 where I was watching hockey at 2:00 AM at the Winter Games and had a relaxed schedule in community college.  Not so much nowadays with a regular job.

Brazil games was excellent when it comes to timing of watching coverage.

The time zone difference caused me to not watch as much.  I'd wake up to a ton of news alerts on my phone telling me who won or medaled, so why even bother turning it on?  We caught some of the weekend daytime broadcasts that were live, but that was it. 

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #208 on: August 10, 2021, 12:14:39 PM »
While the ratings were not great at all on the Teli, I thought I heard a stat. that there were more than 8 million streaming viewers over something like 6 streaming platforms. Those numbers have to be taken into account. I heard this on NPR at lunch.

I heard that segment too, and it makes perfect sense when you think about it. Television networks would purposely not run prime time shows during the Olympics because of the competition for eyes. Your choices were either a limited number of commercial filled re-runs or the Olympics. People used to watch the Olympics because of lack of options, not because it was what they found entertaining. 

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #209 on: August 10, 2021, 12:34:36 PM »

I heard that segment too, and it makes perfect sense when you think about it. Television networks would purposely not run prime time shows during the Olympics because of the competition for eyes. Your choices were either a limited number of commercial filled re-runs or the Olympics. People used to watch the Olympics because of lack of options, not because it was what they found entertaining.

I'm not sure about this streaming thing. As much as I like sports, it makes more sense for me to keep DirectTV rather than sign up for 20 different streaming channels.