Author Topic: 2021 Summer Olympics thread  (Read 12882 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
2021 Summer Olympics thread
« on: July 25, 2021, 09:56:47 PM »
No thread?  ???

Anyhow:

1.  WOW, what a win for Austria in women's cycling today.   :tup

2.  US Women's gymnastics team and men's basketball team deserved to not dominate as expected.  Both looked flat and unfocused.

3.  Japanese women's street skaters are SO CUTE!  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Anguyen92

Re: 2021 Summer Olympics thread
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 10:02:40 PM »
Well, I've watched Day 1 of the Rugby 7s event and I'm had a good time watching that.  Currently watching sailing, and holy cow.  I don't even know how the heck these guys train themselves for this.  So many variance and if you miss a turn on a buoy, you got to reposition yourself to even reattempt to make the turn, which takes a lot of time, and on top of that, you got like 5-6 other guys trying to do the same thing around you.  Heck, I'm looking at the sky view shots and I don't know how they know they are still on course.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 10:06:30 PM »
I am so rooting against the men's basketball team.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 10:23:51 PM »
My daughter thinks the skateboarders fall down too much. And they should be wearing helmets.

That's all I got.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 10:26:55 PM »

Can't bring myself to do that, but I get it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 10:37:10 PM »
I realize Guershon Yabusele (former Celtic) is no Jason Tatum, but watching him dive for the ball going out of bounds...yeah, that's what I'm rooting for.

Jason Tatum cannot leave town (Boston) fast enough.

This tournament really doesn't seem all that important to the players. I'd rather see some college kids playing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 05:10:23 AM »
I'm usually an Olympics junkie, watching two weeks of any sport that's on.  I just can't do it this year, and I'm not 100% sure why.  Some of it is COVID, some of it is the coverage (EVERY STORY has to have some current events angle; it's just too much at this point), some of it is my personal circumstances.   

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 06:51:21 AM »
Best thing I've seen so far was the brother/sister Japanese judo gold medalists. Great story, and the little sis was so charming watching her big bro win gold.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2021, 07:05:55 AM »

Well after that performance against France, I can see why......

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2021, 07:21:18 AM »
The tmother one that got me was watching the American fencer win the first gold in that sport.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2021, 07:26:01 AM »

It pleased me as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2021, 09:03:04 AM »

It pleased me as well.

Same here. And here's the thing.....with the amount of attention that the Simone Biles, Katie Ledecky and Megan Rapinoe's get.....how they're just the next best thing since sliced bread.....that type of attention and them being placed on pedestals really irks me and I inherently just start to root against them. I don't find Ledecky or Biles 'cocky' in anyway and I don't have anything 'personal' against them....they're incredible athletes, but even last night after Ledecky lost her race....she gets interviewed?? Not Ariarne Titmus who just won the gold and beat her.....they still focus on Ledecky??  And the American Media has place SO much pressure on Biles to utterly dominate that she admittedly felt the pressure and couldn't perform at her best.

I LOVE watching dominant athletes, that's why I like(d) Tiger Woods for all those years....but I detest cocky, arrogant athletes who reek of self importance and that's how I view the majority of the Mens Basketball and Womens Soccer athletes. So, if/when they fail or lose I take a small amount of satisfaction out of it. But the chances are both those teams win gold and they and the media will continue to self inflate their importance but when they do lose I find it funny and gratifying.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2021, 09:06:28 AM »
Well, I agree Gary, but the NBC probably feels that personalities sell. People get engaged with the stars. The NBA has been doing it for years.

All sports basically promote that way.

Coming up, Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins take on Alex Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals.
I hate those kind of promos and graphics.

But they're reaching to casual fans that might recognize the name.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2021, 09:43:42 AM »
Gotta love the Philippine weightlifter winning her country's first ever gold.

Fuck the men's basketball team, that's the stuff I love about the games.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2021, 10:30:23 AM »
No thread?  ???

Anyhow:

1.  WOW, what a win for Austria in women's cycling today.   :tup

2.  US Women's gymnastics team and men's basketball team deserved to not dominate as expected.  Both looked flat and unfocused.

3.  Japanese women's street skaters are SO CUTE!  :lol

I have a feeling that the US Women's Gymnastics team are going in a bit too confident. The last 2 teams were phenomenal, they have more to live up to than they think.

The tv/streaming format is a bit weird this year. Unless I'm missing something, NBC is not on Hulu TV, only on Peacock or Cable. NBCSP is on Hulu. So to get some sports, including gymnastics, you can't get it all in one place if you're a streamer.

-Tof

Offline pg1067

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2021, 10:53:46 AM »
I watched some of the women's volleyball (both indoor and beach).  Really wish I had gotten into volleyball back when I was single.

I watched some guys kayaking at a manmade whitewater course.  That looks SO cool!  I've been ocean kayaking many, many times and always wanted to try whitewater.  I'm wondering if there are any of those manmade courses anywhere near me and if they are open to the public.

Didn't pay attention to basketball.  I won't say I'm rooting against the U.S. team, but I just don't care.  Olympic basketball was ruined when they started allowing NBA players (same thing with ice hockey, but to a lesser extent).

My wife watched some diving.

I have no interest in skateboarding or gymnastics.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2021, 11:30:49 AM »

It pleased me as well.

Same here. And here's the thing.....with the amount of attention that the Simone Biles, Katie Ledecky and Megan Rapinoe's get.....how they're just the next best thing since sliced bread.....that type of attention and them being placed on pedestals really irks me and I inherently just start to root against them. I don't find Ledecky or Biles 'cocky' in anyway and I don't have anything 'personal' against them....they're incredible athletes, but even last night after Ledecky lost her race....she gets interviewed?? Not Ariarne Titmus who just won the gold and beat her.....they still focus on Ledecky??  And the American Media has place SO much pressure on Biles to utterly dominate that she admittedly felt the pressure and couldn't perform at her best.

I LOVE watching dominant athletes, that's why I like(d) Tiger Woods for all those years....but I detest cocky, arrogant athletes who reek of self importance and that's how I view the majority of the Mens Basketball and Womens Soccer athletes. So, if/when they fail or lose I take a small amount of satisfaction out of it. But the chances are both those teams win gold and they and the media will continue to self inflate their importance but when they do lose I find it funny and gratifying.

Gary, I'm with you, and I'll leave it at that.  You're athletes.  Play the game.  Win. That's it. 

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2021, 12:15:37 PM »
I'm usually an Olympics junkie, watching two weeks of any sport that's on.  I just can't do it this year, and I'm not 100% sure why.  Some of it is COVID, some of it is the coverage (EVERY STORY has to have some current events angle; it's just too much at this point), some of it is my personal circumstances.

Same for me this year. I actually prefer the Winter games vs the Summer ones. But this year I absolutely have no interest in this year's Olympic games.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2021, 12:17:09 PM »
I don't mind a little cockiness. That's what makes sports fun!

Remember Riggo? Neon Deion? Michael Irvin?

The difference was these guys could back it up.

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2021, 12:28:39 PM »
The tmother one that got me was watching the American fencer win the first gold in that sport.

Agree. She was SO excited/happy.

Also the swimmer from...I think Tunisia.....that won gold and was a HUGE upset. And LOTS of taekwondo firsts/upsets. Always fun to see big underdog stories, regardless of whether they beat the USA. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2021, 12:36:56 PM »

Not just that....but for me.....they stuck to the sports and that was that. I'm just not that big a fan of this current era of "superstar" sports figure and how they've been anointed this status of cultural guidance guru's. Not especially given the level of hypocrisy they demonstrate by the way they live their lives. Anyway....that's venturing into a P/R conversation so I'm sorry about that.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline darkshade

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2021, 12:59:56 PM »

Nah, you can say it. The Olympics gone woke, more specifically, just the usual NBC pushing their woke communist agenda for the people who OWN them. Most people aren't into that.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2021, 01:05:36 PM »

Not just that....but for me.....they stuck to the sports and that was that. I'm just not that big a fan of this current era of "superstar" sports figure and how they've been anointed this status of cultural guidance guru's. Not especially given the level of hypocrisy they demonstrate by the way they live their lives. Anyway....that's venturing into a P/R conversation so I'm sorry about that.

That's where I was heading.  I don't mind cockiness on the field when it's between the lines.  Tom Brady.  You want to shut him up?  Win.   After the game, I'm not interested.  Kicking a soccer ball does not make you a qualified social or cultural commentator.   

Offline darkshade

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2021, 01:08:19 PM »
Sports! is basically dudes (and gals) playing with their balls in front of TV cameras. Unless they play hockey, then they're playing with their fat disc.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2021, 01:32:56 PM »
Also, what about the table tennis player from Syria who's fucking 12 :omg:

How does one rise to that level of play, in that tore up of a country, at such a young age? Just amazing.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2021, 03:21:32 PM »

That's where I was heading.  I don't mind cockiness on the field when it's between the lines.  Tom Brady.  You want to shut him up?  Win.   After the game, I'm not interested.  Kicking a soccer ball does not make you a qualified social or cultural commentator.

While I agree with your example of Brady athletes  can certainly chew gum and walk at the same time. Do people need a degree in a specific field to be a social or cultural commentator or is that their opinion rubs you the wrong way? There are plenty of popular sports figures that give back to their community far more than anyone else but I will never agree that they "shut up and dribble". That's just plantation talk.

Olympics rock!!!!  :metal

Offline darkshade

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2021, 05:29:51 PM »

While I agree with your example of Brady athletes  can certainly chew gum and walk at the same time. Do people need a degree in a specific field to be a social or cultural commentator or is that their opinion rubs you the wrong way? There are plenty of popular sports figures that give back to their community far more than anyone else but I will never agree that they "shut up and dribble". That's just plantation talk.

Olympics rock!!!!  :metal

Most celebs really shouldn't make comments in regards to politics or social issues, mostly because they tend to not know what they're talking about, and having a huge outlet that they have through the press and social media, means their nonsense spreads faster and harder, for longer, than average schmoes'. They also tend to push the agendas their handlers want them to push, if we're talking plantation talk.

Not every celebrity is a Frank Zappa. Would you have told Frank Zappa to "shut up and play yer guitar" when making social or cultural analysis when he (often) did? Because much of the establishment during his lifetime did. Unlike LeBron, Johnny Depp, Madonna, and that 'nasty woman' who used to be an actress, FZ's background was growing up in a military-industrial family, grew up to have no faith in government, was wrongfully arrested and jailed by police as a young adult, which further showed how corrupt government is, and saw the parallels in the music industry with the government-media complex. If LeBron had this kind of background, I, and others, might give him the benefit of the doubt.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2021, 07:18:23 PM »
You never bothered to look into LeBron's childhood before making that comment, did you?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2021, 07:19:43 PM »
Sports! is basically dudes (and gals) playing with their balls in front of TV cameras. Unless they play hockey, then they're playing with their fat disc.

And what's wrong with this?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2021, 07:31:01 PM »
I saw that XJD.  Awesome story.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2021, 07:46:31 PM »
I don't spend any time thinking about it, and don't really care, but I can't really decide where I come out on pro athletes competing in the Olympics. If a nation wants their best competitors to represent them, shouldn't they send their best? Or should it be reserved for amateur athletes?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2021, 07:54:35 PM »
Philosophically, I think amateurism fits best with the Olympic ideal of the world coming together through sport, whereas pro athletes flips the balance a bit more towards the inter-nation genital measuring contest. But that's just my preference.  I think there are pros and cons to both sides, especially in todays modern climate where even the amateurs are getting massive amounts of state funding in certain key sports.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2021, 08:02:20 PM »
Good point about the continual blurring of the line between pro and amateur. Didn't even occur to me when I wrote my post.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2021, 08:11:04 PM »
Philosophically, I think amateurism fits best with the Olympic ideal of the world coming together through sport, whereas pro athletes flips the balance a bit more towards the inter-nation genital measuring contest. But that's just my preference.  I think there are pros and cons to both sides, especially in todays modern climate where even the amateurs are getting massive amounts of state funding in certain key sports.

I completely agree with this.  BUT I also get why the Olympic basketball and hockey teams tend to be different from most other Olympic sports in having big name professional athletes.  And it boils down to how the NHL and NBA are structured within society.  What I mean by that is, unlike a sport like swimming, or gymnastics, or track and field, for example, if you are good enough to play on the world stage at the Olympics in basketball or hockey, you have already begun a career in the NBA or NHL.  Kids growing up in those sports train themselves to be able to enter the league as soon as possible and make that their primary career for their working life.  Contrast that with, say, gymnastics or swimming, where they train like crazy to have an early career into their late teens and early 20s, and then move on to something else to actually earn a living later on.  It's just...different.  And I don't like it, but I get why it is that way.