Author Topic: He-Man - Masters of the Universe: Revelation now on Netflix  (Read 1584 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline The Letter M

Re: He-Man - Masters of the Universe: Revelation now on Netflix
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 06:06:26 PM »
I just finished the fifth episode, and WOW, what a fun first half of the series/season. I didn't watch the original 80s Filmation series as a kid, but I knew enough about the characters. *My* He-Man was the 200X series that was technically a reboot, but was a great show in its own right.

When Kevin Smith first announced this series last year (or maybe even back in 2019, I forget), I was excited to see what he could do with a modern follow-up to the original series, and with what we've seen so far, I am NOT disappointed. This was the exact sense of style and tone I expected from this kind of modern reimagining of the series. There's still a bit of humor and campiness but nowhere near as much as the 80s series, and it takes those beloved characters and expands their emotional developments more. I loved everything with Teela and Evil-Lyn, and I was not expecting some characters to meet their ends the way they did! I also loved the semi-obscure cameos in the fifth episode.

I cannot wait to see the second half, hopefully we don't have to wait too long before it's uploaded!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 06:38:02 PM »
I might check this out. I never got into He Man in the 80s but I do love Kevin Smith despite much of his recent output being meh. Hopefully not being super familiar with it won’t hurt.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 08:43:48 PM »
Whoa. This was one of my favorite franchises as a kid!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 04:13:03 AM »
Sadly this is the latest show/film to be dragged into the culture wars, review bombed for being woke...

I watched all 5 episodes and it's good stuff.  Some lovely character interactions (Orko/Lyn).  Really good cliffhanger ending of the final episode too.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 04:08:31 PM »
Obviously when I was in school i had no idea that Superman 4 was from the same film makers as the Dolph Lundgren He Man movie.

But seeing them both now - it's so obvious.

Also : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5DaL-7b_wE

Offline PetFish

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 09:41:06 AM »
I'll give the first 5 episodes a B+.

I actually don't think it's "woke", maybe a little, but not really.  The girls are still hot and the guys are even more jacked than in the 80s.

So what if Teela is the focus right now?  We all loved her back in the day and it's great to know more about her today.  What they did to He-Man and Skeletor right away was a shock and I'm sure it'll pay off later.  What's up with King Randor?  I don't remember him being such a dick.

The animation is great although it's a little jarring to see the rendered stuff like the vehicles in the same shot as the more traditional animation they use on the characters.  Family Guy and Simpsons do this as well but it's not as in-your-face.

In terms of the story... what are you gonna do?  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  It feels like people just want all of the old episodes re-mastered and call it a day.  They're trying to keep the cheesy dialog while also taking the characters to new places.

My only real gripe, and this is happening everywhere these days, is that self-contained episodes aren't being done anymore.  Every season/series has a common story thread and that's all they do.  I miss the days when I could watch ONE episode of something (Star Trek, A-Team, etc) and it was all over.  I think it started becoming popular when 24 was a thing.  You absolutely can't just grab any episode and be fulfilled, it's the whole season or nothing.  Now you have Stranger Things which will be the same plot for the entire series.

Now, you can't just pick something like "Episode 3.4" and say "I like that story and I'll watch it again."  Sure, the old shows had things that went on the whole time, such as Data and his brother/origins, but every episode was it's own story.

Same with He-Man.  Every episode is linking to the next one.  No more "something happened over here so let's deal with that and then go home" type stuff.  But it seems all these new shows are doing it this way and it really kills the re-watch desire.

Also, and I'm sure it has to do with rights and licensing and all that crap, but I really wish they would have kept the original Adam-to-He-Man transformation music and voices and introduction.  I loved that little F I L M A T I O N jingle the start of every show.  Sure, re-do the animation, but that was the most iconic thing about the original series.

Finally, I feel like too many people know that Adam/He-Man are the same.  It's even worse with the new She-Ra.  Everyone knows so there's no point in even switching between the two identities.

I love The Critical Drinker but he absolutely hates He-Man (and Kevin Smith):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6GUGatFBLo

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 07:45:16 AM »
Finally watched it, and thought it was fantastic.  Helluva cliff-hanger.  Funny story... I'd inadvertently saved the 'other' He-Man series in my Netflix list (with the more modern/anime-like animation).  I watched the opening sequence like... WTF?!?!?  Then I realized I'd saved the wrong series.

Any word on when S2 is gonna drop?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2021, 06:48:21 PM »
I just finished the fifth episode, and WOW, what a fun first half of the series/season. I didn't watch the original 80s Filmation series as a kid, but I knew enough about the characters. *My* He-Man was the 200X series that was technically a reboot, but was a great show in its own right.

When Kevin Smith first announced this series last year (or maybe even back in 2019, I forget), I was excited to see what he could do with a modern follow-up to the original series, and with what we've seen so far, I am NOT disappointed. This was the exact sense of style and tone I expected from this kind of modern reimagining of the series. There's still a bit of humor and campiness but nowhere near as much as the 80s series, and it takes those beloved characters and expands their emotional developments more. I loved everything with Teela and Evil-Lyn, and I was not expecting some characters to meet their ends the way they did! I also loved the semi-obscure cameos in the fifth episode.

I cannot wait to see the second half, hopefully we don't have to wait too long before it's uploaded!

-Marc.

Four months later and I watched the 2nd half earlier this evening! I enjoyed the first half but the second half was MUCH better. I almost wish they had dropped all 10 at once because it might have been better received by fans. There's a lot of great moments throughout the last five episodes, and an obvious tease towards future episodes at the end, but if this is all we get, I'm glad we got this much.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2021, 07:10:07 PM »
I saw that it just dropped earlier this week, and hope I can get to it later this week.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion