Author Topic: NCAA 2021 College Football thread  (Read 9393 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: NCAA 2021 College Football thread
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2021, 04:40:09 PM »
But do any of these other teams even matter at this point? Georgia is a MONSTER. Who's going to beat them?

Maybe anyone in the top 10?  They haven't actually played one of the better teams this year (since Clemson ended up not being anything special). They will have their hands full with Bama and who ever else they play in the first round.  Of course, they are no doubt #1 though, but their schedule leaves a lot of question marks as to how good they truly are.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2021, 05:43:11 PM »

And this Hutchinson D-end of theirs...WOW. Kid is an animal! Definitely see him at the next level! And Haskins unstoppable. And Corum with the big cut back run on a gimpy ankle. All heart!

My brother and I were commenting how good he'd look opposite Nick Bosa on the Niners.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2021, 10:01:53 PM »
Seems someone made a quick edit to Haskin's wiki page...

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2021, 10:58:02 PM »
Haskins may have 5 TDs in the books under his name, but from what I saw damn if UM's O-line didn't own the Buckeyes D-line today.

I don't know why but I like Harbaugh, at least as a college coach. I think NCAA football is the one sport that benefits from goofball coaches like him on the sidelines.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2021, 08:18:50 AM »
I'm old enough to have seen on TV Michigan's 24-12 upset of Ohio State in Bo's first year, and those epic games that followed against Woody.  I didn't attend U-M, grew up near East Lansing, eventually attended Central Michigan (which didn't have a losing season for 25 years)...... but that game has always been THE Game for me and so many others.  I read up on the epic 1950 'Snow Bowl', recall Woody's response for going for two in '67 when leading 48-14 ('because we couldn't go for three'  :D )  But they've been hard to really get into, since 'that team from the south' has dominated throughout this century, with too many games being uncompetitive.

I kept waiting for the other shoe to fall yesterday (I remember last week's halftime score of OSU-MSU..), and it wasn't until the 4th and 20 play fell short that I exhaled, turned the volume way up, and savored the moment.

Just feels so weird that the win doesn't mean a trip to the Rose Bowl. 

(not a problem to me if they throw away those blue pants and socks forever)

Moving on....  tuned in off and on to Alabama-Auburn.  What an amazing defensive effort by the Tigers, ruined by a couple of 3rd down sacks that put them out of FG position, and then the running OB late that 'kept' 45 seconds on the clock.  'bama only getting three points would have been the shocker of the year.  Kudos to them for somehow pulling it out.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 08:36:46 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2021, 08:35:09 AM »
Michigan had easily the best single win of the college football season.  Their offensive line just dominated the Buckeyes.

Georgia is the clear # 1, but Michigan was VERY impressive.

And I know that Alabama is going to be ranked in the top 4, but IMO it's for name recognition only.  They have 2 losses, and about 3-4 other games where they looked like ass.  Any other Power 5 team with that resume would be lucky to be in the Top 10.  At least it won't matter after Georgia gives them a third loss.

Unless there are some serious upsets in the conference championship games, I suppose the entrants to the CFP will be Georgia, Michigan, Cincinnati, and either Oklahoma State or Notre Dame.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2021, 08:55:11 AM »
Alabama only has 1 loss and if they beat Georgia, there's no way they should be left out.  If they lose, they are out.

It is also arguable that Cincinnati has the best win in all of college ball this year @ Notre Dame (which is fantastic IMO, keeping them out of the playoffs right now).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2021, 09:23:16 AM »
Alabama only has 1 loss and if they beat Georgia, there's no way they should be left out.  If they lose, they are out.
Holy shit lol

I think I was projecting ahead to them losing to Georgia.  I was already counting that.  :lol

Sure, if they beat Georgia, they should get in.  But they have definitely looked un-Alabama-ish in multiple games.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2021, 09:39:03 AM »
Holy shit lol

I think I was projecting ahead to them losing to Georgia.  I was already counting that.  :lol

Sure, if they beat Georgia, they should get in.  But they have definitely looked un-Alabama-ish in multiple games.

It's just going to suck a bit if Bama beats Georgia, so they both get in, but you have a potential 1 loss Big 12 champ Oklahoma State sitting out. I really want Georgia to win so we can see some more diversity in the CFP. And hopefully Cincy doesn't lose in their conference championship game.

Could get very interesting if these 1 loss teams lose this weekend though, if Iowa beats Michigan, Baylor beats Oklahoma State, and Georgia beats Alabama... could see a 2 loss make it, but that's a lot of if's and likely not happening.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2021, 10:39:24 AM »
There were some fantastic games this weekend!  :metal

But the REAL news was Lincoln Riley to USC?  :omg:

There are major college programs without head coach. LSU, Oklahoma, TCU (soon to be SMU). This is going to be about as fun as the playoffs themselves.  :coolio

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2021, 01:21:27 PM »
I was really surprised by Riley's move.

I read that Bob Stoops will be Oklahoma's interim coach through the bowl game.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2021, 01:27:39 PM »
Let's hope Wilcox's season at Cal is mediocre enough to not warrant attention, I'd really hate to see him leave, I like his style.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2021, 01:33:49 PM »

It does seem kind of shocking, but I think he may actually be making a good move for the future.  I say this because Oklahoma has a nice spot in the Big 12 right now.  They basically have a very easy path to the playoffs every year, but that's going to change.  With Oklahoma leaving for the SEC in a few years, it's about to get a lot more challenging to be at the top consistently.  Winning the Pac12 will be much easier than winning the SEC and the path to the playoffs is basically the same as it is now for Oklahoma.  That, and maybe I'd assume money plays a role too. (I haven't read into the $$$). 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2021, 02:33:40 PM »

It does seem kind of shocking, but I think he may actually be making a good move for the future.  I say this because Oklahoma has a nice spot in the Big 12 right now.  They basically have a very easy path to the playoffs every year, but that's going to change.  With Oklahoma leaving for the SEC in a few years, it's about to get a lot more challenging to be at the top consistently.  Winning the Pac12 will be much easier than winning the SEC and the path to the playoffs is basically the same as it is now for Oklahoma.  That, and maybe I'd assume money plays a role too. (I haven't read into the $$$).
I don't think any money has been announced.  But it would have to be substantial.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2021, 08:32:10 PM »
Brian Kelly leaving Notre Dame to go to LSU as his team is on the verge of being in the playoff.

This should not be allowed to happen.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2021, 08:48:18 PM »
Just saw that he has the most coaching wins in Irish history. I checked out of college football years ago, so this is largely on me, but I never would have thought that.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2021, 07:24:37 AM »
The Kelly move to LSU is even more shocking to me than Riley to USC.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2021, 08:44:15 AM »
The Kelly move to LSU is even more shocking to me than Riley to USC.

Yeah, that is even more shocking.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2021, 09:56:40 AM »
Kelly to LSU is definitely surprising and what I am hearing is that it's probably about the money. Being a private university Notre Dame is not required to divulge salaries but it's speculated that he will double his salary. So maybe it's not that surprising.

Riley was at war with the university because of the conference switch and Riley had certain demands which they met and they thought they had him locked up. You would think the coaches would wait until after the bowl season to make this announcement.

One writer wrote of Riley, 'When coaches enter the portal in September, there probably not going to play good football in November'.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2021, 10:00:24 AM »
Yeah, it must be about the money.  I'd say winning at ND and the path to the CFP is much easier than LSU and expectations will likely be higher.  And of course, ND's current situation just outside the top 4 makes you wonder, why now?

Kelley rubs me off as a complete asshole though.  I don't like him at all.  So I guess him leaving on his players is in line with how I already view him.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2021, 10:10:42 AM »
You would think the coaches would wait until after the bowl season to make this announcement.
They usually don't because of recruiting/early signing day.  If the NCAA moved that date, you would see more exiting coaches stay through the bowls.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2021, 08:59:06 AM »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2021, 10:04:57 AM »
Big win...enjoy.

Lord knows why the fucking Cal-SC game is at 8pm. With requisite commercial timeouts, the only people who will enjoy the end are the alums in Hawaii.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2021, 02:08:25 PM »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2021, 04:42:08 PM »
Were you there, SD?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2021, 04:52:08 PM »
Congrats Podaar for your team, must have been a cool experience to be there

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2021, 06:06:26 PM »
It’s hard to describe, Cram, to someone who doesn’t live in the West and the PAC-12. Oregon, and sometimes their fans, are the most hated program in our conference. To have our team embarrass them twice in two weeks is almost sweeter than being conference champs.

We’re currently buying our Rose Bowl tickets and booking hotels!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2021, 07:56:04 PM »
Oregon, and sometimes their fans, are the most hated program in our conference.

Truth.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2021, 08:54:56 PM »
I’m watching Michigan and Iowa. I admit, I don’t watch Big 10 games much but I’m not impressed. Cool pageantry and tremendous fan traditions but the football isn’t very good, is it. Even Oregon could beat these scrubs!  :biggrin:

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2021, 10:22:42 PM »
Were you there, SD?

I wish! Family life with two kids under three kept me from even watching the game, unfortunately. I just followed the score and caught the tail end of things. Looks like you had a great time!  Bet the atmosphere was electric among the Utes fans!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2021, 11:51:27 PM »
Cal's up on U$C 24-7 with 5 to go. Been a rough season, but any year we take both SC and Stanfurd is a good one.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2021, 06:46:20 AM »
Boy, it's real hard to be an Iowa fan today

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2021, 09:48:18 AM »
For the first time that I can recall, I have no real problem with which four teams were selected for the playoff.

What I had hoped would happen is that Georgia would beat Alabama, eliminating them from contention and opening up a path for Notre Dame.  But since that didn't happen, I like these four, and the seeding thereof.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2021, 11:09:41 AM »
For the first time that I can recall, I have no real problem with which four teams were selected for the playoff.

What I had hoped would happen is that Georgia would beat Alabama, eliminating them from contention and opening up a path for Notre Dame.  But since that didn't happen, I like these four, and the seeding thereof.

Being in the camp that fucking hates both Notre Dame and Bama, I was in quite a dilemma. Bama wins and they're in. Bama loses and ND is in. Wtf man?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2021, 11:53:49 AM »

Being in the camp that fucking hates both Notre Dame and Bama, I was in quite a dilemma. Bama wins and they're in. Bama loses and ND is in. Wtf man?
I have no love for ND.  I just thought it would be neat that since Brian Kelly left them, the new coach's first game could be in the playoff.

But fuck Bama all day every day.