Poll

What are your four least favorite Dream Theater studio albums? (VOTE FOR 4)

When Dream and Day Unite
Images and Words
Awake
Falling into Infinity
Scenes from a Memory
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Train of Thought
Octavarium
Systematic Chaos
Black Clouds and Silver Linings
A Dramatic Turn of Events
Dream Theater
The Astonishing
Distance over Time

Voting closes: December 17, 2026, 07:51:26 PM

Author Topic: What are your FOUR least favorite Dream Theater studio albums?  (Read 5933 times)

Offline robbob

Re: What are your FOUR least favorite Dream Theater studio albums?
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2021, 12:36:54 PM »
1. The Astonishing - I respect what John and Jordan were trying to do, but falls extremely flat for me. Boring story that felt like it's been done before, too much music in 1 release in which most of it is just blah!! There are some decent songs there, think i've listened to this a total of 2 times and that's it. No desire to relisten.

2. Dream Theater - Same as above, I understand the direction they attempted but with shorter, more concise songs, but most are just boring, nothing that really grabs your attention. Feels very bland, which is saying something for a DT release. Illumination Theory is a decent epic but definitely not near their best.

3. Black Clouds and Silver Linings- Like mentioned by others, this feels like a tired band that "phoned" it in. ANTR is way too long, 1st half is good, second half- not so much. TSF and TCoT are decent, but rest of the album is not IMO.

4. When Dream and Day Unite - The obvious - production and Charlie's vocals doesn't fit with the band. Love most of the tracks on this, but prefer to hear the live versions with JLB.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2021, 01:58:51 PM »
The Astonishing: 2 hours long, barely any songs I like, would probably fill up nearly every slot in my bottom 10 DT songs. Do not like.
WDADU: Very amateurish compared to what came after, nothing terrible but nothing too good either.
Awake: I just can't get into this one like most people on here can. 6:00 and The Mirror are excellent. Lie and Space Dye Vest are pretty good. The rest is just kinda okay.
SC: It was a tossup between this and FII - both are wildly inconsistent albums with some of the band's best and also some of their worst. But I went with this one because outside of ITPOE, Constant Motion and I guess Repentance there's just nothing else I ever feel the need to return to.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2021, 03:41:40 PM »
1) Metropolis part 2
2) Scenes From A Memory
3) SFAM
4) Metropolis pt 2: Scenes From A Memory

When I'm old enough, I hope dementia makes me forget this album ever existed

Offline Trav86

« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2021, 04:19:56 PM »
1) Metropolis part 2
2) Scenes From A Memory
3) SFAM

I think it’s already set in.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2021, 04:28:11 PM »
1) Metropolis part 2
2) Scenes From A Memory
3) SFAM

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen SFAM cited as someone's least favorite album...care to elaborate?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2021, 04:38:56 PM »
Falling Into Infinity
A Dramatic Turn Of Events

uhh... I can't think of any others I dislike :lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2021, 08:29:33 PM »
1) Metropolis part 2
2) Scenes From A Memory
3) SFAM

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen SFAM cited as someone's least favorite album...care to elaborate?
Yeah, this seems extremely odd to me. Tastes! :dunno:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2021, 11:54:54 PM »
When Dream and Day Unite
Systematic Chaos
The Astonishing
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2021, 11:55:25 PM »
1) Metropolis part 2
2) Scenes From A Memory
3) SFAM

I think you may already have dementia.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2021, 12:47:08 AM »
I get that it's a disagreeable opinion but let's at least hear her out if she wants to elaborate. Hating a well-liked album doesn't necessarily make someone bad or misinformed.

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2021, 01:35:12 AM »
1) Metropolis part 2
2) Scenes From A Memory
3) SFAM

I don't see why not. In general, I just really don't enjoy the music, not a single note played makes me think "yeah, this is why I love music, man", in fact, every second is a negative experience for me. It doesn't help the production is rough and amateurish (all over the place vocals volume, guitar tones sounding like brass instruments, muddy bass, the drum kicks sound like someone sampled static), and the performances I find sloppy and boring.
The overall concept (which is pretty much taken from Dead Again -influence mentioned by the band themselves-) I find rather annoying, with the narration having some important plot holes and awkward exposition (like the BTL to TDOE sequence of songs, or Through Her Eyes which is exposition: the song).
For being an important character, Victoria feels like a 'plot convenience' instead of an actual character, which is a pity because she's the only one I care about in the story.

I tried liking the album, I really did, but my experiences are either me giving up in 2 minutes, or listening to it and disliking it even more. Tried listening to the Distant Memories version of it, but it has many problems by itself too.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2021, 04:32:36 AM »
1) Metropolis part 2
2) Scenes From A Memory
3) SFAM

I don't see why not. In general, I just really don't enjoy the music, not a single note played makes me think "yeah, this is why I love music, man", in fact, every second is a negative experience for me. It doesn't help the production is rough and amateurish (all over the place vocals volume, guitar tones sounding like brass instruments, muddy bass, the drum kicks sound like someone sampled static), and the performances I find sloppy and boring.
The overall concept (which is pretty much taken from Dead Again -influence mentioned by the band themselves-) I find rather annoying, with the narration having some important plot holes and awkward exposition (like the BTL to TDOE sequence of songs, or Through Her Eyes which is exposition: the song).
For being an important character, Victoria feels like a 'plot convenience' instead of an actual character, which is a pity because she's the only one I care about in the story.

I tried liking the album, I really did, but my experiences are either me giving up in 2 minutes, or listening to it and disliking it even more. Tried listening to the Distant Memories version of it, but it has many problems by itself too.

Right on.... hey, different strokes. I could say a lot of what you just said about ‘The Astonishing,’ so I get it.

Don’t mind everyone else (dementia is no joke:/), this place can be a bit, um, judgy.... but there’s some pretty amazing convos every now and then that make it worth it.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2021, 05:04:27 AM »
1) Metropolis part 2
2) Scenes From A Memory
3) SFAM

...and the performances I find sloppy and boring.

That's fascinating and not something I ever thought I'd hear in relation to Scenes from a Memory, nor indeed the majority of DT albums (if not all). Is there any performance in particular you could point to as being "sloppy" (maybe a timestamp?) or is it more a feeling you have?

(Having watched a parent die of dementia-related causes, it wasn't a barrel of laughs for either him or the rest of us... but yeah, at least he'll have forgotten the music he disliked. As well as the music he liked but hey :biggrin: Pros and cons!)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 06:01:12 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2021, 05:37:00 AM »
1) Metropolis part 2
2) Scenes From A Memory
3) SFAM

Can't agree, but fair play.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2021, 05:59:21 AM »
I'm gobsmacked The Astonishing isn't leading this poll by a country mile. Anyway, I voted that, then WD&DU for no other reason than I don't listen to it that often, then DT12 and by a short whisker BC&SL.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2021, 06:12:39 AM »
I'm gobsmacked The Astonishing isn't leading this poll by a country mile. Anyway, I voted that, then WD&DU for no other reason than I don't listen to it that often, then DT12 and by a short whisker BC&SL.

If I could vote for the Astonishing 4 times, I would without question.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2021, 10:11:29 AM »
1) Metropolis part 2
2) Scenes From A Memory
3) SFAM

Can't agree, but fair play.

Same, but I have a hard time understanding how someone could feel that way about SFAM and yet still be a fan of DT.

If I could vote for the Astonishing 4 times, I would without question.

I don't know that I'd go that far, but I'd have given it two votes if I could have.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2021, 08:06:17 PM »
1) Metropolis part 2
2) Scenes From A Memory
3) SFAM

...and the performances I find sloppy and boring.

That's fascinating and not something I ever thought I'd hear in relation to Scenes from a Memory, nor indeed the majority of DT albums (if not all). Is there any performance in particular you could point to as being "sloppy" (maybe a timestamp?) or is it more a feeling you have?

(Having watched a parent die of dementia-related causes, it wasn't a barrel of laughs for either him or the rest of us... but yeah, at least he'll have forgotten the music he disliked. As well as the music he liked but hey :biggrin: Pros and cons!)

Yeah, that was a pretty dark joke thinking about it; also my grandma has it, and it's really sad (a bit of coping through dark humor one could say...)
As for the sloppy performances, I don't have any timestamp, it's more of a general thing. The first things to come to mind is the drumming, to me it sounds like it's done by inertia, rather than consciously deciding how to hit the drums, where and when (the intro to One Last Time comes to mind, all snare hits sound completely different from the previous ones, very uneven and it doesn't feel intentional).

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2021, 10:10:58 PM »
1) Metropolis part 2
2) Scenes From A Memory
3) SFAM

SFAM is my second favorite record, but I don't like the story/concept. In fact, every year I feel a little more disgusted, which makes me a little worried for, I don't know, 2041 (if I'm alive.... but the spirit carries on, right?  :biggrin:).

In fact, by 2021 I completely hate this part:

"If I die tomorrow
I'd be all right
because I believe
that after we're gone
The spirit carries on"

But apart from that "mere detail", it's a wonderful record  :)

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2021, 10:59:32 PM »
Yeah. They're not my favourite lines, either.

I find the story itself vastly more interesting than The Astonishing's, though. And it bugs me that an adjective was used as a noun for that particular album title although it's obviously not without precedent. (I studied linguistics: self-confessed pedant.) "The astonishing what, exactly?"
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2021, 01:01:42 AM »
Yeah. They're not my favourite lines, either.

I find the story itself vastly more interesting than The Astonishing's, though. And it bugs me that an adjective was used as a noun for that particular album title although it's obviously not without precedent. (I studied linguistics: self-confessed pedant.) "The astonishing what, exactly?"

It could using astonish as a verb, like The Shining :justjen

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2021, 01:12:06 AM »
Interesting point. Never thought of that. Still don't like it :biggrin: And it would still be odd. The Shining, though? Yeah, that's cool.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2021, 12:07:57 AM »
I’ve given up on the whole album ranking thing. They have so many albums that are pretty much equal in my mind that it’s easier to just group them.

Perfect:
Images and Words
Awake
Scenes From a Memory

Great:
Train of Thought
Octavarium
Systematic Chaos
Dream Theater
Distance Over Time

Not So Great:
When Dream and Day Unite
Falling Into Infinity
Black Clouds and Silver Linings
The Astonishing

I like this format! I will steal it.

Perfect (or damn near close):
Distance Over Time
Octavarium
Falling into Infinity

Great:
Scenes from a Memory
The Astonishing
Dream Theater
Train of Thought
Images and Words

Not So Great: (but honestly still really good):
Systematic Chaos
Black Clouds & Silver Linings
When Dream and Day Unite
Awake

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2021, 10:17:04 AM »
Of all the albums released I'd have to go with these as my least favorite.

1. When Dream and Day Unite isn't a bad album, but the production on it leaves a lot to be desired. Musically it's amazing, but the production (specifically the volume -- or lack thereof) kills it for me.

2. The Astonishing. For me, this album was good when it came out. I like a lot of the tunes, but it's true what I've heard people say about it. It's their disney album. It didn't hold up for me over time. The songs now sound a bit generic. Musically, nothing really stands out.

3. Falling Into Infinity is another good album with some great tunes, but it's a departure for them. It's clear they made this at the request of their label at the time. As a result they don't have the same passion behind the songs. I can't say the songs are "generic" but it's clear that if they'd been given their heads, these songs aren't what they would have written.

4. A Change of Seasons. I know I'm likely to get some hate for this, but hear me out. I LOVE the song. It's one of my all time favorite songs DT has ever done. However, I think it should have been released as a single. Maybe it is, but the other songs on it are a wasted listen to me. If they'd released CoS as just the one song, I'd be happy with it. The only flaw the song has in my opinion is that, again the production is lacking. It sounds tinny to me. Lacking in bottom end. Otherwise, it's a damn near perfect song.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2021, 05:35:01 AM »
When Dream And Day Unite - I like it but it's a bit inconsistent.
Black Clouds And Silver Linings - One of the bottom DT albums for me, bloated, bad lyrics with glimpses of greatness.
Dream Theater - Probably the worst sounding DT album after WDADU, while i like many songs on it, but i can't stand the mix
The Astonishing - I enjoy it a lot and i admire the band for trying this, also one of the best performances from James. Just doesn't stack up to the rest of the discography, and has a bit of "fat" that could be trimmed down.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2021, 07:38:23 AM »
I half wanted to take a page out of BeatriceNB's book and be like:
1. The
2. Astonishing
3. TA
4. The Astonishing

I know there are plenty of people who like/revere the album.  Unfortunately, I loathe it.  I've beat this dead horse silly.  So, I'll leave it at that.  Nobody cares, anyway.

My other 3 were:
WDADU
DT
SC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2021, 10:23:56 AM »
4. A Change of Seasons. I know I'm likely to get some hate for this, but hear me out. I LOVE the song. It's one of my all time favorite songs DT has ever done. However, I think it should have been released as a single. Maybe it is, but the other songs on it are a wasted listen to me. If they'd released CoS as just the one song, I'd be happy with it. The only flaw the song has in my opinion is that, again the production is lacking. It sounds tinny to me. Lacking in bottom end. Otherwise, it's a damn near perfect song.

It was officially released as an "EP," although it's longer than every Van Halen studio album except VHIII and every Rush studio album until Vapor Trails.

But let me get this straight...other than the production, you're bothered by the fact that you got too much material on the ACOS EP?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2021, 02:37:49 PM »

It was officially released as an "EP," although it's longer than every Van Halen studio album except VHIII and every Rush studio album until Vapor Trails.

But let me get this straight...other than the production, you're bothered by the fact that you got too much material on the ACOS EP?

I think the other songs on the ep didn't need to be released. The only thing I listen to on that EP is ACOS. I don't need a bunch of live covers. Same thing with BC&SL. That could have been a single cd release in my view. I don't need a whole cd of covers. Not my bag.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2021, 02:43:53 PM »
I don't even hate Sons of Apollo as much as some people hate The Astonishing.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2021, 02:54:38 PM »

I think the other songs on the ep didn't need to be released. The only thing I listen to on that EP is ACOS. I don't need a bunch of live covers. Same thing with BC&SL. That could have been a single cd release in my view. I don't need a whole cd of covers. Not my bag.

Honestly, "A Change Of Seasons" should have just been released with "To Live Forever", "Don't Look Past Me" and "Eve" as an EP of early B-Sides.

Back when I made CD-r compilations of DT songs, I did exactly that (along with the FII B-Sides), and they all fit onto one disc.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2021, 03:05:04 PM »

That's fine.  I don't often listen to the covers, but it doesn't devalue ACOS or BC&SL that they exist on those releases (and, if memory serves me correctly, BC&SL was available without the covers and instrumental mixes -- the latter of which I don't think I've ever listened to).

Honestly, "A Change Of Seasons" should have just been released with "To Live Forever", "Don't Look Past Me" and "Eve" as an EP of early B-Sides.

For me, that would have made ACOS an inferior release to what we actually got.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2021, 05:37:55 PM »
Falling Into Infinity, The Astonishing, Octavarium, Black Clouds & Silver Lining are my four least favorites in that order. The first two are albums I don't really like listening to and the last two are all right.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2021, 06:19:33 AM »
When Dream & Day Unite
Dream Theater
Distance Over Time

I couldn't decide on a 4th one. I actually find Falling Into Infinity a little more "sympathetic" (if that makes sense) than many other albums by the band that are considered classics or among their best (I think I listen to it more than Awake). Systematic Chaos has a bonus for me because it was the first album that was released when I was a fan.
any rock can be made to roll