Author Topic: Antique Info?  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Antique Info?
« on: July 18, 2021, 10:06:24 AM »
Any antique people here?   I have a GE fan circa 1917, 1918 that needs restoration (though it works), as well as a Zenith cabinet radio (Model 8S463) that might work, though I'm scared to plug it in.  I want to sell both.  I'm not listing it here for sale, I'm looking for any advice on where to start.  Local antique shops?   The inter webs (though I tried that, and I'm leery about being taken for a ride).  Any thoughts/ideas/tips?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Antique Info?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 10:12:12 AM »
I say this as good-naturedly as I can without judgment or malice: You have a 100 year old fan.... why?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 10:15:29 AM »
I say this as good-naturedly as I can without judgment or malice: You have a 100 year old fan.... why?

I used to work for GE and I would periodically get things with the GE logo on them.  Either given to me, or for cheap. That one came from my ex-wife's aunt who was running an estate sale.  I had fantasies of fixing it up and putting it in my office, but that's not where I'm at right now.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 10:23:19 AM »
Oh yeah I forgot the GE connection. I'll give you a pass.  :)

I said in the exasperated thread I hate when my wife takes me to antique stores, and especially when she thinks we have something of value that someone will pay for when it is really garbage. So I wouldn't want you to waste time and energy trying to sell something that has little to no value to anyone else.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 11:21:06 AM »
I was going to call you a pussy for being afraid to plug the radio in. Then I saw the inside of one of those things, and I wouldn't even be willing to keep one in the house.  I'm not sure if you need to call a restoration company or the bomb squad.  :lol

I reckon it's going to come down to how much time you want to invest. Restoring it and then selling it will probably be more profitable than selling it to somebody else to do the same, but the latter gets it over and done with fast. While you may not trust the online people to buy it, they could probably tell you what the likely outcomes of those two options will be, including time, effort, and dough. That picture came from a thread detailing the actual restoration of that radio, BTW.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 08:11:17 AM »
I believe that; I'll take some photos, but it's an old tube radio, so it's not far off that.  Plus the wires look like they're insulated with grass and/or rolling papers, so there's likely to be some live wire action in there too.  The outside is a sweet looking wood case, though (this isn't mine, but the same model):

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 01:31:21 PM »
I don't know squat about antiques but I do own a Magnavox AM/FM Stereo with Turntable that was built in 1961.  It still works too  :hat