Poll

What are your four favorite Dream Theater studio albums? (VOTE FOR 4)

When Dream and Day Unite
12 (1.7%)
Images and Words
125 (17.7%)
Awake
108 (15.3%)
Falling into Infinity
24 (3.4%)
Scenes from a Memory
133 (18.8%)
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
102 (14.4%)
Train of Thought
31 (4.4%)
Octavarium
40 (5.7%)
Systematic Chaos
8 (1.1%)
Black Clouds and Silver Linings
12 (1.7%)
A Dramatic Turn of Events
44 (6.2%)
Dream Theater
17 (2.4%)
The Astonishing
25 (3.5%)
Distance over Time
25 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 177

Voting closed: October 15, 2021, 06:36:17 AM

Author Topic: What are your FOUR favorite Dream Theater studio albums?  (Read 12016 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: What are your FOUR favorite Dream Theater studio albums?
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2021, 11:21:02 PM »
Always been a bit surprised by the love shown for SDOIT.  For the longest time, the fan base seemed to be split between loving one disc and being lukewarm on the other.

I’m one of those that think the title track is one of the most amazing things they’ve ever done, but disc one is hit and miss.  But it seemed that for a very long time it was viewed as a somewhat flawed album even though everyone disagreed on which part was the flawed part.

Just surprising to see it now consistently in everyone’s top 4.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2021, 05:43:29 AM »
In order of preference:

1. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
2. Metropolis Part II: Scenes From a Memory
3. Images & Words
4. A Dramatic Turn of Events

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2021, 06:19:59 AM »
In no particular order :

i) Awake

ii) Black Clouds & Silver Linings

iii) 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulence

iv) Train of Thought

Although I&W is what got me in the band and it's a really good record, I find myself not revisiting it as much these days. Also Octavarium is a great one too and if it was a top 5 it would most certainly made the list, but I couldn't leave 6 Degrees.
For Black Clouds, honestly, I love this album. People see Systematic Chaos as underrated (which it is up to a point), but not Black Clouds...I find it very interesting to say the least.

As for the MM era albums, imo of course, they still haven't managed to present an album where there are more memorable songs than just average ones. Will they make it with DT15? Let's see and hope we get an album that the songs will stand out and fare good with the classics.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 10:20:50 AM by IgnotusPerIgnotium »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2021, 07:26:18 AM »

If this was just a MP era poll, I'd go with IAW and AWK too, but the MM era has been so good that I can't decide which ones to pick.

The MM era has been very good, but I don't think any of the albums touch the greatness of I&W, Awake, Scenes or 6DOIT, all of which are legit great albums with no weak or average spots.  Dramatic has a subpar/questionable mix, DT12 lacks anything truly great (IMO), The Astonishing (which I still have much love for) is too long and has a silly storyline, and DoT has a few average tunes.  Time will tell if this lineup still has an album in them that is truly great from start to finish and that features a good or great mix.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2021, 10:48:10 AM »
Always been a bit surprised by the love shown for SDOIT.  For the longest time, the fan base seemed to be split between loving one disc and being lukewarm on the other.

I’m one of those that think the title track is one of the most amazing things they’ve ever done, but disc one is hit and miss.  But it seemed that for a very long time it was viewed as a somewhat flawed album even though everyone disagreed on which part was the flawed part.

I'm still that way, but I still voted for SDoIT - along with SFaM, WDaDU and BCaSL - because for me the first disc ranks that highly. I actually took the time to rate all of DT's individual songs a while back and applied a value to them according to what percentage of the album they took up, in some cases rating individual parts of songs (and not just epics) where I really liked some parts but not other parts. (In other words, if I rated ANtR and TCoT as 10, TSF and TBoT as 5, and Wither and ARoP as 1, the album score would be much higher than if ANtR and TCoT got rated as 1, and Wither and ARoP got rated as 10.)

Honestly, I got up to TA and stopped - never tackled that or d/t, but I did rate everything else, using an Excel document with formulas. SDoIT disc 1 rated the highest and SDoIT disc 2 rated the lowest, but when combining the values together, SDoIT as a whole still rated higher (but not by much) than IaW, Awake and by a minimal fraction over SFaM. Here's the final ratings:
Majesty demos    563.0628622
When Dream and Day Unite    769.8186528
Images and Words    719.9124088
Awake    707.2516115
Falling Into Infinity    639.4028103
Scenes From a Memory    730.1489637
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (in total)    730.4575333
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence disc 1    876.3884627
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence disc 2    541.8814433
Train of Thought    687.5871185
Octavarium    675.9850319
Systematic Chaos    636.1240474
Black Clouds and Silver Linings    767.7324939
A Dramatic Turn of Events    678.6764706
Dream Theater    725.4040157

Was really surprised at how close the ratings were to each other, and especially how I rated the s/t over ADToE by as much as I did, and that it ranked higher than IaW and Awake by a few points. One day will have to go back and re-rate them all, including TA, d/t, Cleaning Out the Closet and the new one, and maybe compare the individual songs to one another to make sure that I haven't skewed my ratings (like rating one song as a 9 and a song from another album as a 5, but that I actually like the second song more than the first - my rating of the songs obviously got improperly skewed somehow).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2021, 12:38:45 PM »
The problem with that system is that concept albums usually have songs that may not work well on their own, meaning if you isolate them and rate them as standalone songs, they might not tally a high score even when accounting for a shorter length and/or limited percentage of the overall running time, thus pulling down the overall score of the album.  Plus, stuff like that doesn't take into account the sound quality, the flow, etc. 

I know if I rate ADTOE merely by rating the songs, it would score pretty high, but for me the mix brings the overall quality down enough to where it gets docked quite a few spots in my own personal rankings. 

Conversely, only one song from Disc 1 of 6DOIT would rank probably in my top 30 at this point, but I would still rate it as one of DT's best standalone discs ever, and the flow of the disc and how good the transitions are from song to song really elevate it as a whole.

Of course, there is no exact science to this, and, to quote Jerry Seinfeld, I don't know how official any of these rankings really are, but I am just spitballing. ;)

Offline nick_z

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2021, 12:55:58 PM »
Images & Words
Awake
When Dream and Day Unite
Falling Into Infinity

Clearly my (very) odd ones in the top 4 are WDADU and FII. As for SFAM and 6DOIT: SFAM is ranked pretty high, although I don't consider it as much of a stone-cold classic as the majority of fans. 6DOIT I enjoy - and some songs are great - but I've never loved Disc 2, so that hurts it a bit in my rankings...

Offline pg1067

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2021, 01:07:59 PM »
Now I shall ponder upon what are my next favorite 4.

The top 4 are easy.

The bottom 4 are also pretty easy:  FII, TA, SC and BC&SL

That leaves WDADU, TOT, 8VM, ADTOE, DT12 and DOT

Out of those six, TOT and 8VM are defintely in the top four (which probably means overall spots 5 and 6).  I'd say the other two spots go to ADTOE and DT12.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2021, 02:20:28 PM »
The problem with that system is that concept albums usually have songs that may not work well on their own, meaning if you isolate them and rate them as standalone songs, they might not tally a high score even when accounting for a shorter length and/or limited percentage of the overall running time, thus pulling down the overall score of the album.  Plus, stuff like that doesn't take into account the sound quality, the flow, etc. 
I follow what you're saying, and you bring up some good points that I hadn't considered.

That said, none of those things have any effect on how I view their albums. As you can see, SFaM still rated pretty highly even though it has Regression, Through My Words and a couple others I didn't rate highly.

MP always had a great handle on how to organize the track listing on each album, and I think JP's got a good handle on it too. As for sound quality, I'm not an audiophile, so that doesn't have the same impact on me as it might for others. A track can be on the best sounding album (YNM for example), but if I don't like it, it's still gonna rate super low; and the converse is also true (like LFaGA).

Nonetheless, if someone wanted to handicap albums to some degree for certain things like album flow, sound quality or mix because it was important to them, then so be it. Like I said, there were a few examples of songs where I graded different parts of songs completely differently because I liked/disliked them that much and I didn't know how to otherwise assign a proper score to them, such as the outros to Lie, March of the Tyrant and Misunderstood, as well as the Zappa section from Beyond This Life and the tail end of the SDoIT Grand Finale.

In any case, my way of doing this helped me (as far as I can tell) take a much more objective look at how their albums rank for me personally.  ;)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2021, 03:11:47 PM »

I didn't care for the album beyond The Glass Prison for a long time, but as I got older, I started appreciating the entire thing. Same with Awake, I used to not care for it, now I think it's one of their best. Part of it was my ears maturing from teen to young adult. Sometimes the best prog doesn't immediately grab you, either, for one reason or another, but takes time to settle in. I didn't even like all of IaW for a while. Whereas SFAM I loved right away, even if I didn't always listen to the entire thing when I was younger, but as I said earlier, it's lust has faded with me over time.

These days, and for a while now, I always worry when I really love new music immediately on first listen, especially with prog rock music, because after the honeymoon phase you might feel it isn't as good as you first thought, whereas my favorite prog music grew on me over time.

In the grand scheme, SDoIT was the last "pure" DT album, where prog, metal, and rock were equals, where other genre mixing was more subtle, before they decided to increase the nu metal sound on ToT, and later increased the modern metal ratio in their music, which only 8vm lowered it somewhat. I disagree that there was less metal on albums like ADTOE and TA, like there was on 8vm.

People's opinions on a new album can also change because expectations may not have been met when the album was first released.

Offline JLa

« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2021, 03:26:36 PM »
I&W, Scenes, Awake and 6DOIT

Yup, those four. Although I struggled a little to decide between I&W and Octavarium. Close call. I&W got the nod this time.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2021, 03:48:10 PM »
I'll vote Six Degrees, Octavarium, A Dramatic Turn of Events and Distance Over Time because that was my top four when I last ranked. However, this is one of those things that could easily be different day to day, which I definitely feel is one of the strengths of the band. I honestly don't think I have major gripes with any DT album, at least to the point where I wouldn't consider it worth listening to for pleasure's sake.

These days, and for a while now, I always worry when I really love new music immediately on first listen, especially with prog rock music, because after the honeymoon phase you might feel it isn't as good as you first thought, whereas my favorite prog music grew on me over time.

I find this line of thinking intriguing. There does feel like there's a certain level of validity to this (I have warmed quite heavily to DT's balladry over the years for instance, despite an initial distaste for them), but at the same time, I think it's a tad more nuanced. To me, I see it as four different things: either the album just doesn't grow on you no matter how hard you try, or you don't like it at first but it begins to grow on you, or it hits hard at first and begins to fade or it makes a great impression and builds on that with further listens. I wouldn't necessarily be worried about music that's a bit more immediate, particularly when it's brimming with nuance and depth even on early listens. I find that this tends to happen with genres I'm more familiar and comfortable with (after all, The Glass Prison's impact I don't think has faded with me, even with its strong first impression), while the growers that take hold after an uneasy first impression seem to usually be from styles I'm not used to.

I disagree that there was less metal on albums like ADTOE and TA, like there was on 8vm.

wut

But like... there was, though? If not ADToE, then definitely TA. Maybe it could be reasonably argued that if ADToE had the production of an album like Black Clouds or Distance Over Time, that it'd be considered a much more metallic release but even then, I'd still say less so than either of those two. With The Astonishing though, metal is pretty much entirely absent for probably well over the majority of its runtime.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2021, 04:27:52 PM »

The top 4 are easy.

The bottom 4 are also pretty easy: 

Yup.

11. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
12. Awake
13. Systematic Chaos
14. When Dream and Day Unite

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2021, 04:39:42 PM »
I follow what you're saying, and you bring up some good points that I hadn't considered.

That said, none of those things have any effect on how I view their albums. As you can see, SFaM still rated pretty highly even though it has Regression, Through My Words and a couple others I didn't rate highly.

MP always had a great handle on how to organize the track listing on each album, and I think JP's got a good handle on it too. As for sound quality, I'm not an audiophile, so that doesn't have the same impact on me as it might for others. A track can be on the best sounding album (YNM for example), but if I don't like it, it's still gonna rate super low; and the converse is also true (like LFaGA).

Nonetheless, if someone wanted to handicap albums to some degree for certain things like album flow, sound quality or mix because it was important to them, then so be it. Like I said, there were a few examples of songs where I graded different parts of songs completely differently because I liked/disliked them that much and I didn't know how to otherwise assign a proper score to them, such as the outros to Lie, March of the Tyrant and Misunderstood, as well as the Zappa section from Beyond This Life and the tail end of the SDoIT Grand Finale.

In any case, my way of doing this helped me (as far as I can tell) take a much more objective look at how their albums rank for me personally.  ;)

Mr. Keating would describe this approach to judging music as excrement.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2021, 04:50:21 PM »

The top 4 are easy.

The bottom 4 are also pretty easy: 

Yup.

11. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
12. Awake
13. Systematic Chaos
14. When Dream and Day Unite

Bottom four are changing almost as much as my top 4 :D

11: Awake
12: Train of Thought
13: Systematic Chaos
14: When Dream and Day Unite

Sometimes I like WDADU more than SC. Sometimes I like Awake more than DT12 (one position higher probably). And damn, if any music artist's worse release 14 albums in is on the level of WDADU, they must be pretty damn good at making albums. I honestly think there's a pretty big jump in quality from the bottom two to the next two up (by DT's standards of consistency of course -- I still like all of them quite a bit). TOT has ITNOG and ES which are two of my favourite DT songs, and all the other songs are really good too, the only one I'm not as high on being TDS, but even that has the "Now that you can see all you have done" section which I love.

Offline HOF

« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2021, 04:56:44 PM »

I think both discs are hit or miss. You could probably fit the songs I like enough to listen to fairly often on one disc.

Blind Faith
Misunderstood
About to Crash
Goodnight Kiss
Solitary Shell
About to Crash (Reprise)

That’s only like 44 minutes. You could pad it with The Great Debate and Disappear and have a 65 minute single album that I would like pretty well, but the excerpts from SDOIT wouldn’t really work. Maybe find a way to make the About to Crash sections one song and give Solitary Shell an ending.

Actually, what I’d prefer is they just cut out the overblown ending to Losing Time and just fade out on the groove in the verse which is very cool. I think you could run About to Crash into Goodnight Kiss with a little editing just fine, and then just let the rest play out.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 05:25:27 PM by HOF »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2021, 05:10:40 PM »
Yup. Even SC or WDADU are not "shit". A lot of bands would be over the moon to write an album like SC in their career.

Or to spend just 3 weeks writing a new album and it be as good as Train of Thought...

Offline pg1067

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2021, 05:43:47 PM »

Here's the thing:  Even when you remove the weak tracks (for me, that's TGD and Disappear), you're left with a shload of GREAT music.  TGP, Blind Faith, Misunderstood, and the title track totals 75:48 -- a perfect single-CD album length (about a minute longer than Awake and a few minutes shorter than FII).  That being the case, I have no problem ranking it in the top four (despite two very subpar tracks).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline darkshade

« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2021, 06:34:27 PM »
I'll vote Six Degrees, Octavarium, A Dramatic Turn of Events and Distance Over Time because that was my top four when I last ranked. However, this is one of those things that could easily be different day to day, which I definitely feel is one of the strengths of the band. I honestly don't think I have major gripes with any DT album, at least to the point where I wouldn't consider it worth listening to for pleasure's sake.

I find this line of thinking intriguing. There does feel like there's a certain level of validity to this (I have warmed quite heavily to DT's balladry over the years for instance, despite an initial distaste for them), but at the same time, I think it's a tad more nuanced. To me, I see it as four different things: either the album just doesn't grow on you no matter how hard you try, or you don't like it at first but it begins to grow on you, or it hits hard at first and begins to fade or it makes a great impression and builds on that with further listens. I wouldn't necessarily be worried about music that's a bit more immediate, particularly when it's brimming with nuance and depth even on early listens. I find that this tends to happen with genres I'm more familiar and comfortable with (after all, The Glass Prison's impact I don't think has faded with me, even with its strong first impression), while the growers that take hold after an uneasy first impression seem to usually be from styles I'm not used to.

I disagree that there was less metal on albums like ADTOE and TA, like there was on 8vm.

wut

But like... there was, though? If not ADToE, then definitely TA. Maybe it could be reasonably argued that if ADToE had the production of an album like Black Clouds or Distance Over Time, that it'd be considered a much more metallic release but even then, I'd still say less so than either of those two. With The Astonishing though, metal is pretty much entirely absent for probably well over the majority of its runtime.

Talking specifically about prog, I can totally enjoy a first listen as an experienced prog rock listener. If I don't wrap my head around all the music on the first go, and realize I'll need to dig deeper and explore more to 'get it', that is good. However, there has to be something that catches my ears on first listen to help remind me of why I need to go back and listen again. If I enjoy it the first time, but nothing particularly stood out, or I get bored on subsequent listens, that is not good. The Flower Kings are a good example. It took me years to get into them, after sampling some of their music here and there for a while, but I knew there was something about what they did that I liked, what with being into Yes, Genesis, Zappa, Crimson, ELP, etc... and liked their take on the genre. At some point, the planets aligned and I got it. Then I couldn't stop collecting their albums. I knew I'd like TFK, it's just I hadn't had that "a-ha!" moment yet. Whereas with other bands where I get it right away, I lose interest fast. Stuff like Porcupine Tree or Steven Wilson's solo albums, or Riverside, don't get me wrong, it's not the mood of their music, it's that I don't find anything that keeps me wanting to come back, aside from a song or two here and there.

Mangini-era DT albums are like that, too, especially ADTOE. I listened to that album a million times when it came out, and I still like it, production aside, but I don't hold it in high regard as I did in the months after its release. I really got into DoT when it first came out, too, but shortly after, I realized I only liked, not loved, two or three of the songs...

As someone who knows metal well, but barely listens to metal anymore, The Astonishing is definitely metal. Maybe not as much as the releases surrounding it, but it's still metal, and more metal than Octavarium the album. 8vm has only 3 songs that are metal, (TROAE, These Walls, Panic Attack) While it has its moments, Sacrificed Sons is closer to heavy rock than actual metal IMO, same with Never Enough. The title track is not metal AT ALL, unlike all their other epics.

Sure, there's more piano, more balladry, etc... than the average DT album on The Astonishing, and sure, there are lots of other songs and non-metal moments on the album, no doubt, and sure, it's more whimsical and flamboyant than the usual DT fare, but pound for pound, the album is loaded with distorted guitars, low tuning chugging riffage, hard hitting drums, you know, the band doing metal things, even if it's just power chords. It's more that the band falls back on that sound more than anything else throughout the album and kind of makes the listen a chore, among other reasons, when they aren't doing the other things that are on the album, like leading so many tracks with slow, lone, sad piano.

Offline HOF

« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2021, 07:11:10 PM »
Just listened to The Great Debate for the first time in forever. I definitely appreciate the Rush-like aspects of it more than I did 19 years ago when I mostly thought of it as a Tool pastiche (though it is that too). I think it’s probably one of the stronger songs on the album even. That said, I think there me a really strong 6-8 minute instrumental piece to be made of it by cutting out the lyrical passages, and if you kept the news clips it would still make the same point and probably be a bit more poignant without the somewhat awkward lyrics.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2021, 07:21:41 PM »

Here's the thing:  Even when you remove the weak tracks (for me, that's TGD and Disappear), you're left with a shload of GREAT music.  TGP, Blind Faith, Misunderstood, and the title track totals 75:48 -- a perfect single-CD album length (about a minute longer than Awake and a few minutes shorter than FII).  That being the case, I have no problem ranking it in the top four (despite two very subpar tracks).

I remember doing something similar when the album came out. Back when “ripping a copy for the car” was a thing, I discovered that omitting TGD, and using the edited version of Misunderstood from the 4-song pre-release we got from the fan club (I think that’s where it came from) made it so everything else fit on a single disc. And I like the edited version of Misunderstood much better than the album version anyway.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2021, 07:46:50 PM »
The pointless long fadeout at the end of the titular suite notwithstanding, the expansive and sprawling nature of 6DOIT works to its advantage in a big way.  I also did one-disc car version way back in the day and it wasn't nearly as enjoyable, even with that CDR having only what I considered the best material. You really do need it all to get the full album experience.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2021, 09:09:29 PM »
I'm probably in the minority here, but I love that fadeout at the end of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Offline HOF

« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2021, 09:41:16 PM »
So what I hate on Losing Time/Grand Finale is the finale part itself. The song is great up through where James sings “a behavior that kept her alive.” Then it goes off the rails and comes off like a Broadway number or something. If I could play producer on that track, I’d have JP come in with a solo at that point instead, and then have the band jam out on the groove from the verse with a fade out. Let the whole thing quietly fade off into something a little darker.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2021, 12:29:22 AM »
As someone who knows metal well, but barely listens to metal anymore, The Astonishing is definitely metal. Maybe not as much as the releases surrounding it, but it's still metal, and more metal than Octavarium the album. 8vm has only 3 songs that are metal, (TROAE, These Walls, Panic Attack) While it has its moments, Sacrificed Sons is closer to heavy rock than actual metal IMO, same with Never Enough. The title track is not metal AT ALL, unlike all their other epics.

I mean...

There was definitely a reduction of metal on The Astonishing and that's what I was contradicting there. There is metal on the album, yes. However, it's much more of a textural thing and I'd argue is still used relatively sparingly. There's a few songs without any heavy guitars at all and plenty more where it's only used at key points. Just because it's used for dramatic effect at the end of a song like A Life Left Behind I don't think makes the album overloaded with metal, given that the textures tend to be on the lighter side. It's kind of like claiming Six Degrees is overwhelmingly metal because technically, every full song other than Disappear has heavy guitar riffs.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2021, 05:02:21 AM »
Let me put it this way, TA is a Broadway metal album with a lot of lighter moments.
Octavarium is a rock album, with some proggy stuff mixed in, and with some metal flourishes on a few tracks.
Thinking about it more, I think TROAE is more heavy rock than metal.

Let's not forget that TA is over 2 1/2 hours long, so there's more metal pound for pound compared to 8vm. I mean, Overture opens with some heavy, low tuned guitars. There's a handful of tracks that are straight metal or prog metal.

Octavarium is probably their lightest album in their whole discography, and was meant to be a contrast to the previous album, ToT.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2021, 07:33:18 AM »
I'm probably in the minority here, but I love that fadeout at the end of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Me too, brings a beautiful ending to an unbelievable epic. It - to me - feels like catching a breath after being in all these mental experiences three quarters of an hour long.

The Great Debate is'nt my cup of tea, but that's more because of the endless speeching going on. I don't like it on Repentance either, althought that's in the light of the Twelve Step suite better to handle.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2021, 08:25:49 AM »
Let me put it this way, TA is a Broadway metal album with a lot of lighter moments.
Octavarium is a rock album, with some proggy stuff mixed in, and with some metal flourishes on a few tracks.

Let's not forget that TA is over 2 1/2 hours long, so there's more metal pound for pound compared to 8vm. I mean, Overture opens with some heavy, low tuned guitars. There's a handful of tracks that are straight metal or prog metal.

Octavarium is probably their lightest album in their whole discography, and was meant to be a contrast to the previous album, ToT.

I mean idk, if Sacrificed Sons and The Root of All Evil aren't metal and most of The Astonishing is just because of a few loudly rung chords here and there, I sorta don't know what to tell you. Like yeah, Dystopian Overture, A Better Life, Lord Nafaryus, Three Days etc. have highly prominent metallic elements, but moreso than the highly aggressive palm mutes of The Root of All Evil or the distorted chromaticism of Sacrificed Sons' break, or its percussive, contemporary-metal-inspired final verse riff? I'm not sure about that. I will probably agree that Octavarium is overall less metal than The Astonishing, but I'll also say that TA is probably just behind Octavarium and Falling Into Infinity and probably about level with Six Degrees in that regard, these albums being more anomalous in the DT discography than most of the ones that veer heavier, other than of course Train of Thought. I mean, if that's how you feel though, then that's how you feel. Just seems a bit of an odd and arbitrary distinction to make imo, especially given that most complaints about TA from a genre perspective seem to be that it's not metal enough, which I can understand the perspective of a little more.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2021, 08:46:48 AM »
Images & Words
Awake
Scenes From A Memory
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2021, 01:06:35 PM »

I mean idk, if Sacrificed Sons and The Root of All Evil aren't metal and most of The Astonishing is just because of a few loudly rung chords here and there, I sorta don't know what to tell you. Like yeah, Dystopian Overture, A Better Life, Lord Nafaryus, Three Days etc. have highly prominent metallic elements, but moreso than the highly aggressive palm mutes of The Root of All Evil or the distorted chromaticism of Sacrificed Sons' break, or its percussive, contemporary-metal-inspired final verse riff? I'm not sure about that. I will probably agree that Octavarium is overall less metal than The Astonishing, but I'll also say that TA is probably just behind Octavarium and Falling Into Infinity and probably about level with Six Degrees in that regard, these albums being more anomalous in the DT discography than most of the ones that veer heavier, other than of course Train of Thought. I mean, if that's how you feel though, then that's how you feel. Just seems a bit of an odd and arbitrary distinction to make imo, especially given that most complaints about TA from a genre perspective seem to be that it's not metal enough, which I can understand the perspective of a little more.

Those 2 songs have metal moments like some of the TROAE riffs or the chromatic riff in SS. I was just trying to explain that they're closer to heavy prog rock than the heavier moments on TA, which to my ears are more metal sounding.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2021, 01:46:39 PM »
Those 2 songs have metal moments like some of the TROAE riffs or the chromatic riff in SS. I was just trying to explain that they're closer to heavy prog rock than the heavier moments on TA, which to my ears are more metal sounding.

I think that TA having heavier peak moments is kind of a given, it's a pretty dynamic album with peaks and troughs over 130 mins, some of those peaks are probably going to be higher than an album that's only just over half its length. I mean, I suppose I can see how if you have an active distaste for a more modern metal sound (in terms of a union of both composition and production values), that's going to probably stick out more. It's also kinda missing the point, because I wasn't disputing that The Astonishing was overall more metal than Octavarium, but that it supposedly wasn't a significant shift away from a more defined metal presence.

When you say "I disagree that there was less metal on albums like ADTOE and TA, like there was on 8vm", it feels like a pretty bold statement, considering that Octavarium isn't the only album you're comparing it against when you say something like that. Again, if you feel like both albums are just as predominantly metallic as SC, BC&SL and DT12, then you're welcome to do so, but I can't necessarily see the logic in it. Maybe that's not what you meant to imply, given that you haven't disputed that particular part. Did you mean to say "I disagree that there was less metal on albums like ADToE and TA than there was on 8vm"? If that was the case, then I'm not going to contest that.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2021, 02:00:22 PM »
Did you mean to say "I disagree that there was less metal on albums like ADToE and TA than there was on 8vm"? If that was the case, then I'm not going to contest that.

This

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2021, 03:00:23 PM »
Ah, well apologies then. I probably should've asked to clarify that first. Going back a little though, I think that some of the DT albums that hit me the most nowadays are ones that I didn't necessarily feel that strongly towards before, like with Octavarium and A Dramatic Turn of Events. Weirdly though, DT12 still hits me just as hard as it did back in 2013, if not more. Somewhat ironically, I feel my opinons on the older (90s) material actually becoming slightly less positive over time. I don't know if it was just the mood I was in when I listened to them, but Awake and Scenes in particular just kind of left me cold last listen, which is a pretty sudden change from before. It may very well be a mood thing though, because I ended up enjoying Live Scenes a lot more.

The pointless long fadeout at the end of the titular suite notwithstanding, the expansive and sprawling nature of 6DOIT works to its advantage in a big way.  I also did one-disc car version way back in the day and it wasn't nearly as enjoyable, even with that CDR having only what I considered the best material. You really do need it all to get the full album experience.

Absolutely agreed. Disappear feels more like a mid-album piece than a definitive closer, even if I love the song. Six Degrees as a song/suite/song cycle just really serves to complete that album experience, even if it's arguably album length in its own right. An album with a bunch of sprawling, progressive tracks feels just right to be concluded by their most sprawling and progressive track rather than something that feels like a break from that.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2021, 03:40:22 AM »
No order. Plus, it is hard to specify four as many of the albums have equal weight as well as distinctive difference in output. Hence, top four for me is a moving target and changes in preferanse with time and  taste. Ask me next year, and the list is probably different. Currently, top four: DOT, Octavarium, Awake, and Falling Into Infinity. Could easily be swaped with the rest except Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds as these for me are the weakest albums, though by no means bad, in the DT catalogue.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2021, 06:52:20 AM »
Images & Words
Awake
Scenes From A Memory

Also my choice! 90's DT is just magical (even FII with its flaws) and 6 Degrees is still their most adventurous (and well succeed in doing so) album. :heart
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)