Poll

Which album do you prefer?

ZZ Top - Eliminator
Journey - Escape

Voting closes: December 12, 2026, 06:55:10 PM

Author Topic: Battle of the 80s Rock LP's Volume 5: Eliminator vs Escape  (Read 1838 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Battle of the 80s Rock LP's Volume 5: Eliminator vs Escape
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2021, 10:24:13 AM »
As an aside, check out the beginning of this song...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV5tOtxw0UE

What the  :lol?

But in a good way.   :coolio

Then, check out "Legs"...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUDcTLaWJuo

Ah yes...the '80s...when dorks and rednecks bullied beautiful people.   :rollin
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2021, 10:31:56 AM »

I knew nothing of ZZ Top before Eliminator, and I ALWAYS viewed them as a caricature - those weird old guys who tried hard to be cool but weren't because they couldn't play for shit (again, I knew nothing of their early stuff).  That was honestly a big part of the buzz around ZZ Top was that the bass player couldn't actually play his instrument (because, let's be honest, can you actually hear any bass on any of those well-known songs from Eliminator?).  There was also this thing about them having livestock roaming around the stage at concerts.  No idea if that was true to any degree.  Journey was a bit of a chick band, sure, but at least they were cool and played well.  Of course, Journey went in the toilet with Raised on Radio, but Neal Schon (and, by extension, the band) got a new level of respect when the Hear 'n' Aid video was released and all of the metal guys started talking about how they were blown away by Neal's playing.  Of course, anyone who had followed Journey since the early days (not me) knew what a good player he was, but this made things public.  All the while, ZZ Top were making Eliminator II and III and even titled an album "Recycler" (if I remember correctly).

That is kind of unfair considering Gibbons and the producer or engineer (cannot remember exactly) removed any bass and drums that had been recorded for the album and replaced them with a synthesized bass and programmed drums.  In fact, the drums were all programmed at what was considered the most popular beats per minute at the time.  So if the album sounds like Billy Gibbons singing and playing his guitar while the others are doing nothing, it's because the album is Billy Gibbons singing and playing his guitar while others did nothing (that was left on the final version).

It's the engineer, Lindsey Hudson or something like that. It's an interesting story, and there are claims that Hudson co-wrote the entire album with Gibbons and got no credit (Hill and Beard, who didn't appear much if at all on the record, did get co-writing for all songs).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2021, 10:45:28 AM »
So... when? 

When they came out, ZZ Top would have CRUSHED this poll.   Journey was for your girlfriend, and that one obligatory slow dance at school (and you hoped you could brush up against... ) but otherwise, nah.   ZZ Top was cool as beans, cars, hot babes, and beards.   

Somewhere in the 30-odd years since release, things have changed. 

???  Your anecdotal experience does not match the popular reception of those two albums at all.  Not to take anything away from ZZ Top at all (they aren't my thing, but I don't deny that Eliminator was incredibly well received), but Escape was HUGE.  Like ZZ Top, Journey had 3 of their 5 singles crack the top 10 (#2, #4, and #9), and its two others in the top 20.  That was at the time.  And they were headlining arenas and festival shows at the time, and created their own touring and production company that practically invented the idea of giant scrims and video screens, which they then leased out to other bands.  I'm not sure how you can imply that Journey were just a B-tier band that would have gotten "crushed" by ZZ Top back when the albums were released. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2021, 11:28:35 AM »
The one thing that ZZ Top had an advantage was MTV.  MTV was a hype machine showing videos of ZZ Top every hour.  When Escape came out, MTV was a fledgling station just getting it's feet wet.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2021, 12:50:38 PM »
True.  I don't recall seeing videos for any of the songs from Escape on MTV.  Not sure they even made any.  But given when Escape was released, that would not be a surprise.  They were definitely in the videos/MTV game by the time Frontiers released.  But they were absolutely on radio, and were pretty unavoidable.  Heck, they even had an Atari 2600 Journey Escape video game! 

By the time Eliminator came out, MTV was part of the fabric of society, and those videos with ZZ Top's distinctive look and the distinctive style of the videos made them a household name.  If we are comparing relative success during the same time period, it might be more apt to compare Frontiers.  That album was still massive for Journey.  And I think, at the time, it surpassed Escape in terms of sales.  But I am not 100% sure on that, since I cannot find sales numbers by over time.  I just know that Escape going diamond was helped by that album's staying power, and the fact that it has continued to sell and have songs come back into the mainstream well after the '80s. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 12:58:17 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2021, 12:52:04 PM »
Yeah, Journey didn't really get heavy MTV airplay until they started air keyboarding.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2021, 12:57:47 PM »
Correlation or causation?  Hmm...  :justjen

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2021, 01:34:15 PM »
Is Journey hair metal too Kev?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2021, 01:56:47 PM »
True.  I don't recall seeing videos for any of the songs from Escape on MTV.  Not sure they even made any.  But given when Escape was released, that would not be a surprise.  They were definitely in the videos/MTV game by the time Frontiers released.  But they were absolutely on radio, and were pretty unavoidable.  Heck, they even had an Atari 2600 Journey Escape video game! 

By the time Eliminator came out, MTV was part of the fabric of society, and those videos with ZZ Top's distinctive look and the distinctive style of the videos made them a household name.  If we are comparing relative success during the same time period, it might be more apt to compare Frontiers.  That album was still massive for Journey.  And I think, at the time, it surpassed Escape in terms of sales.  But I am not 100% sure on that, since I cannot find sales numbers by over time.  I just know that Escape going diamond was helped by that album's staying power, and the fact that it has continued to sell and have songs come back into the mainstream well after the '80s.

Coincidentally, Escape was released the day before MTV debuted.

If you look at what MTV played in the early days, you see a lot of live footage videos from American artists and actual concept videos from British artists, because there was already a demand for videos in Britain before MTV existed.

I also don't recall any videos from Escape, and looking at the five singles from Escape, I don't remember a video for any of those songs.  There's a video on YouTube that claims to be an "Official Music Video" for Don't Stop Believing, but once you click on it, it admits to being a fan-made video.  There's an official video of Open Arms, but it's just live footage from the home video they did from the Escape tour.

Journey really got into the video scene with the follow up album Frontiers, which was released about a year and a half after escape.  Separate Ways and Faithfully (and maybe one other song) had videos in heavy rotation in 1983-84, which was around the same time that the Eliminator videos were out there (Eliminator was released seven weeks after Frontiers).  Since Frontiers wasn't nearly as well-received as Escape, the Eliminator videos were more popular than the Frontiers videos.

The one thing Journey had that ZZ Top didn't have was this:

The game play video is hilarious to watch:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2h-bCOI4WU
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2021, 02:11:51 PM »
Separate Ways is, of course, a legendarily awful video.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2021, 02:21:10 PM »
:lol  As much time as I spent in arcades, I wonder why I never knew that existed.  (or maybe just forgot)  Hilarious that they have Herbie Herbert guarding the stage.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2021, 02:30:08 PM »
  Since Frontiers wasn't nearly as well-received as Escape, the Eliminator videos were more popular than the Frontiers videos.

I think it's more that the ZZ Top videos were more memorable (in a good way) and visually striking, with the Eliminator car and the three models.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2021, 02:30:30 PM »

Nope, just full-on gangsta rap.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2021, 02:31:49 PM »

Be good to yo self is amazing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2021, 02:34:33 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2021, 02:54:02 PM »

That's fantastic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2021, 03:38:11 PM »
Stone In Love got played in heavy rotation in the early days of MTV, but it was the live version.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2021, 03:48:37 PM »
Stone In Love got played in heavy rotation in the early days of MTV, but it was the live version.

That was from the Blue Jean Network.   Didnt get the airplay that the 3 big hits got on every day in the mid 80's.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2021, 04:11:20 PM »
What was the Blue Jean Network?

All I know is it seemed like SIL was on constantly. Granted, my parents got cable in early 82, so MTV hadn’t been on long and didn’t have much content yet. Another video that I saw CONSTANTLY at first and later disappeared into oblivion was a song called “My Name is Norman Bates”
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2021, 04:15:58 PM »
My remembrance is that when MTV started airing performances, they seemed to have come from something called the Blue Jean Network. I definitely remember that. I honestly don't know its origins.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2021, 04:45:47 PM »
No is was a show on PBS that showed live concerts.  Since MTV had very little Journey videos the used live cuts of songs from that show.

I remember Quarterflash had a show as well.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2021, 06:39:28 PM »
:lol  As much time as I spent in arcades, I wonder why I never knew that existed.  (or maybe just forgot)  Hilarious that they have Herbie Herbert guarding the stage.

Imagine if they'd done that with Led Zeppelin and Peter Grant!

The list of videos played in the early days of MTV is, I think, rather fascinating.  For example, this was one of the first couple dozen videos ever played on MTV and was played twice on the first day:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufp75XlTp-Q

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2021, 07:07:38 PM »
Wrathchild was the video I remember. I remember them looking like the coolest band ever.  Vendetta was another hard rock band they played quite a bit.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2021, 08:01:48 AM »
Wrathchild was the video I remember. I remember them looking like the coolest band ever.  Vendetta was another hard rock band they played quite a bit.

Dave Murray.  Cool as beans.   I had that guitar, too (it was a Squier, but still....).