Author Topic: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread  (Read 113222 times)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Re: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread
« Reply #1295 on: March 04, 2023, 11:58:10 PM »
Wacken, Madison Square Garden and Distance Over Time Demos CDs arrived today.  All 3 are good. 

Wacken has a nice thick, rich mix - and it's interesting to hear Jordan's take on some of Derek's sounds and solos in Burning My Soul. 

Madison Square Garden has an unexpected reverb to the vocals - likely due to the massive size of the venue.  Like listening to DT from a new angle.  Interesting.

Distance Over Time demos as very cool mostly because they don't have the compressed/blocked sound of the final album. Mostly the same songs, but has a looser feel.  Just my thoughts.

Offline JeopardousRaven

« Reply #1296 on: March 08, 2023, 12:56:36 AM »
Gave MSG 2010 a few good listens to day and jeez Mike, is it really necessary to yell "FUCK YEAH NEW YORK CITY" every 5 minutes? I get that it was their first time ever playing at the actual MSG but it seems like he got a little overexcited. Also what happens at 2:37 in Constant Motion where he yells something to Jordan? It sounds almost like MP was scolding him. I'm impressed LaBrie didn't lose his place in the song since they were singing co-lead vocals. Other than that it's a pretty good release, very fast-paced and heavy.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1297 on: March 08, 2023, 02:49:39 AM »
Gave MSG 2010 a few good listens to day and jeez Mike, is it really necessary to yell "FUCK YEAH NEW YORK CITY" every 5 minutes? I get that it was their first time ever playing at the actual MSG but it seems like he got a little overexcited. Also what happens at 2:37 in Constant Motion where he yells something to Jordan? It sounds almost like MP was scolding him.

He says, "hey Jordan! That's Madison Square Garden out there, man!"

So, not scolding but also probably the most annoying of all his "interruptions" that night.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1298 on: March 08, 2023, 06:16:50 AM »
I didn't find it that distracting.  I think he did it maybe four times?  And I think he explained why at the end: three kids formed a band 25 years ago with that as the dream, and they achieved it.  More power to them.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1299 on: March 08, 2023, 11:51:45 AM »
I didn't find it that distracting.  I think he did it maybe four times?  And I think he explained why at the end: three kids formed a band 25 years ago with that as the dream, and they achieved it.  More power to them.

The others weren't as bad. I thought "I come from Long Beach Long Island!" was funny after "is it something to do with where I come from?"

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1300 on: March 09, 2023, 01:09:31 PM »
My FII demos vinyl finally arrived today after ordering in April of 2022.

They really need to get up to speed with distribution.
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1301 on: March 09, 2023, 05:01:53 PM »

You should post some pics of that vinyl set - I was considering getting that one as well.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1302 on: March 09, 2023, 06:26:52 PM »
My FII demos vinyl finally arrived today after ordering in April of 2022.

They really need to get up to speed with distribution.

Yes they do buuuuuuut I think this is a problem everywhere at this point. 11 months is definitely on the high end of delays though  :-[

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1303 on: March 16, 2023, 09:45:01 AM »
Still no news about May's release? :-[
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1305 on: March 17, 2023, 08:23:24 AM »

https://www.lasercd.com/search_results?fulltext=Lost%20not%20forgotten&sort_by=sell_price&sort_order=DESC

Seems to be When Dream and Day Unite Demos :coolio

Nice! My original had a mastering error and a few tracks have this weird static. My LTE official bootlegs have something similar. This is the only one I'm double dipping on.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1306 on: March 17, 2023, 08:34:55 AM »

https://www.lasercd.com/search_results?fulltext=Lost%20not%20forgotten&sort_by=sell_price&sort_order=DESC

Nice! My original had a mastering error and a few tracks have this weird static. My LTE official bootlegs have something similar. This is the only one I'm double dipping on.

Are there any vocals on these demos, or are they all instrumental?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1307 on: March 17, 2023, 09:05:49 AM »
No there are vocal demos on there too (some that are entirely instrumental too of course)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1308 on: March 17, 2023, 09:58:44 AM »

Nice! Thank you :tup

I really like the '89 version of A Vision with Charlie that comes with this one.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1309 on: March 17, 2023, 12:04:07 PM »
No there are vocal demos on there too (some that are entirely instrumental too of course)

OK.  I might have to check them out that.  Thanks!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1310 on: March 17, 2023, 01:37:33 PM »
This one is honestly one of my favorites. It has instrumentals, some vocal stuff such as To Live Forever, most of WDADU and their little Christmas "ep" that they gave to family and friends. Be sure to read the liner notes on discogs. Fascinating stuff. https://www.discogs.com/release/2906646-Dream-Theater-Official-Bootleg-When-Dream-And-Day-Unite-Demos-1987-1989

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1311 on: March 17, 2023, 03:33:14 PM »

"A Vision" on this release is one of my favs.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1312 on: March 17, 2023, 11:50:17 PM »
Nice! I'll have to re-listen to my Ytsejam release of this. This is the last Demo Series re-releases! One step closer to only having new releases!

I agree with the others:  "A Vision" is awesome.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1313 on: March 18, 2023, 10:13:42 AM »
I agree also. That and Your Majesty I think are the two best never recorded properly DT songs

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1314 on: March 18, 2023, 11:28:06 AM »
I believe A Vision is the only one of those songs I ever cared to listen to more than once.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #1315 on: March 18, 2023, 06:38:20 PM »
Hope it includes the Golden Slumbers / Carry That Weight / The End Medley!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1316 on: March 20, 2023, 09:28:55 AM »
A Vision might be the best of those oldest songs.

Which means it is not all that good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JeopardousRaven

« Reply #1317 on: April 07, 2023, 08:57:25 AM »
So it looks like with the WDaDU demos, we'll have gotten the last of the LNF demos (unless we're getting more Mangini-era demos). The original YtseJam catalogue consisted of:

Demo Series:
-WDaDU Demos
-Images and Words Demos
-Awake Demos
-FII Demos
-ToT Demos

Live Series:
-LA 1998
-Tokyo 1995
-WDaDRU
-Old Bridge 1996
-NYC 1993
-Bucharest 2002
-Santiago 2005

Studio Series:
-Making of FII
-Making of SFaM

Cover Series:
-Master of Puppets
-Number of the Beast
-Made in Japan
-Dark Side of the Moon
-Uncovered 2003-2005

(Strikethrough indicates releases that have been rereleased through LNF Archives)

New for Lost Not Forgotten Archives:
-Images and Words 2017
-ADToE Soundboards (technically Happy Holidays)
-...And Beyond 2017
-Berlin 2019
-Wacken 2015
-Madison Square Garden 2010
-Distance Over Time Demos

I'm surprised how far behind they are with the original YtseJam live releases considering they're generally what the fans like the most, although it makes sense that they would wait to release them to keep people invested in the LNF Archives. I'm also looking forward to whatever MP is gonna give us from his archives (hopefully full shows from the CiM and BC&SL tours). I'm curious if there's any chance of them rereleasing the International Fan Club CDs. There was some cool stuff from those like the Prog Nation 2008 release with live versions of Misunderstood and Repentance.

Finally, what else can we expect for live releases from the Mangini-era? I'm thinking an Astonishing Tour show and a Top of the World Tour show are definitely in the cards. For the Top of the World Tour, should they release a show from 2022 or 2023? Or do a compilation album instead of just one show so we get all the songs they've played from both years? Either way, I wouldn't expect a release from this tour until at least 2024. There's a few other cool shows they've done like High Voltage 2011 that they could release.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1318 on: April 07, 2023, 09:19:21 AM »
So it looks like with the WDaDU demos, we'll have gotten the last of the LNF demos (unless we're getting more Mangini-era demos). The original YtseJam catalogue consisted of:

Demo Series:
-WDaDU Demos
-Images and Words Demos
-Awake Demos
-FII Demos
-ToT Demos

Live Series:
-LA 1998
-Tokyo 1995
-WDaDRU
-Old Bridge 1996
-NYC 1993
-Bucharest 2002
-Santiago 2005

Studio Series:
-Making of FII
-Making of SFaM

Cover Series:
-Master of Puppets
-Number of the Beast
-Made in Japan
-Dark Side of the Moon
-Uncovered 2003-2005

(Strikethrough indicates releases that have been rereleased through LNF Archives)

New for Lost Not Forgotten Archives:
-Images and Words 2017
-ADToE Soundboards (technically Happy Holidays)
-...And Beyond 2017
-Berlin 2019
-Wacken 2015
-Madison Square Garden 2010
-Distance Over Time Demos

I'm surprised how far behind they are with the original YtseJam live releases considering they're generally what the fans like the most, although it makes sense that they would wait to release them to keep people invested in the LNF Archives. I'm also looking forward to whatever MP is gonna give us from his archives (hopefully full shows from the CiM and BC&SL tours). I'm curious if there's any chance of them rereleasing the International Fan Club CDs. There was some cool stuff from those like the Prog Nation 2008 release with live versions of Misunderstood and Repentance.

Finally, what else can we expect for live releases from the Mangini-era? I'm thinking an Astonishing Tour show and a Top of the World Tour show are definitely in the cards. For the Top of the World Tour, should they release a show from 2022 or 2023? Or do a compilation album instead of just one show so we get all the songs they've played from both years? Either way, I wouldn't expect a release from this tour until at least 2024. There's a few other cool shows they've done like High Voltage 2011 that they could release.

Given how fairly successful AVFTTOTW was, especially with their Grammy-winning track "The Alien", I think they may do a full live concert video/album for the View tour as a proper release like Distant Memories. They'll have plenty of shows to choose from since this has been a pretty lengthy tour (at least it feels that way).

As far as other Demos, I could see them doing an Astonishing Demos if JP has any that he did before they recorded the album. I just wonder how much of their pre-session demos they actually have saved, or even instrumental demos from during their album sessions.

Of course, I would love to see more Pre-Mangini live shows from MP's archive, just to fill out the gaps in any DT collector's live collection, and I'm sure MP would like to see that as well. I think an Astonishing Show would be perfect for a LFNA release!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1319 on: April 07, 2023, 12:13:26 PM »
An Astonishing live show would be great.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1320 on: April 07, 2023, 12:59:53 PM »
The AVFTTOTW tour is ending next month, right? So, if DT will release an official live Blu-Ray, they already filmed any show or planning to film one of the next? I didn't see anything about it.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline JeopardousRaven

« Reply #1321 on: April 07, 2023, 02:02:45 PM »
The AVFTTOTW tour is ending next month, right? So, if DT will release an official live Blu-Ray, they already filmed any show or planning to film one of the next? I didn't see anything about it.

I believe they have stated they were planning to to some more US dates later this year.

Offline JeopardousRaven

« Reply #1322 on: April 17, 2023, 12:39:40 AM »

For anyone who's been keeping track, when in the month do they typically announce the next release in the series? It looks like the last announcement was March 17 so I was hoping that today, April 17 would be the announcement of the next release. I've been checking the Century Media online store but nothing yet.  :\

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1323 on: April 17, 2023, 07:42:11 AM »

For anyone who's been keeping track, when in the month do they typically announce the next release in the series? It looks like the last announcement was March 17 so I was hoping that today, April 17 would be the announcement of the next release. I've been checking the Century Media online store but nothing yet.  :\

Might be every month's third Friday, as March 17th was the third Friday, so we may not know if there's a June release til this Friday. They may also just skip a month. IIRC, they skipped October and November of 2021.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1324 on: April 17, 2023, 01:50:11 PM »
They usually announce new titles a week after releasing one, so I was surprised/disappointed when they didn't say anything last friday. I really hope they don't take June off, as they just did that in March. I know there's still supply chain issues, specially for vinyl manufacturing, and that might play a big role here, but from a fan perspective it just sucks when they suddenly take months off with this considering that 1. they announced it as a monthly release and 2. not all releases are really worth getting (for me those would be the cover series or the making of, some demos, etc.).

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1325 on: April 17, 2023, 03:38:58 PM »

They way it looks, I don't think they will be filming a show from the A View tour, unless they film one of their Asian shows. I don't think it's worth to film one of the Dreamsonic shows to be honest since it's a short set, maybe one or two songs from the newest album, and the presentation is not going to be the same as the one from A View tour.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #1326 on: April 18, 2023, 12:31:05 PM »
I hope the A Change Of Seasons from the Images, Words & Beyond Tour show in Tokyo sees the light of day at some point.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #1327 on: April 18, 2023, 12:33:14 PM »
I hope the A Change Of Seasons from the Images, Words & Beyond Tour show in Tokyo sees the light of day at some point.

That sucks.  Do you have any idea how short their set will be?  I'm interested in Seeing Animals As Leaders and Devin Townsend, but I only bought tickets because Dream Theater is headlining.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #1328 on: April 18, 2023, 02:01:10 PM »

That sucks.  Do you have any idea how short their set will be?  I'm interested in Seeing Animals As Leaders and Devin Townsend, but I only bought tickets because Dream Theater is headlining.

Maybe if the set is short there will be enough room to append ACOS to a DreamSonic LNF release :)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1329 on: April 18, 2023, 06:09:31 PM »

This AND Behind the Veil from Wacken 2015.