Author Topic: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread  (Read 117780 times)

Offline Trav86

Re: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread
« Reply #1260 on: February 11, 2023, 08:27:20 AM »
This new one is pretty cool. I find them more enjoyable than the TOT and Awake demos. I agree with everyone else on the keyboards. You can definitely see how Jordan is writing a ton of the vocal melodies.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1261 on: February 11, 2023, 08:53:00 AM »
It feels like they have five different people in charge of naming these releases and none of them talk to each other.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1262 on: February 11, 2023, 02:20:56 PM »
It feels like they have five different people in charge of naming these releases and none of them talk to each other.  :lol

But that’s what makes it fun. Every release is a surprise!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1263 on: February 13, 2023, 05:51:11 AM »
The new D/T demos are quite cool! Mostly interesting to hear what Petrucci talked about; how the demos was played together and even solos wasn't finished but just some temporary stuff to finish of later, like Barstool.

I really wish Spotify could categorize these differently however since they bloat the albums view a lot. If they release a new album it will honestly be hard to find between all the bootlegs. Right now I have to scroll quite a bit to get to albums I want without searching for them.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1264 on: February 13, 2023, 02:06:55 PM »
The demos are killer. Practically sounds like album quality. I see what people were saying about the keyboards. So many cool sounds I've never noticed or they decided not to do on the final release. I had a moment where I was thinking the mix of DoT should be more like this and then I remembered how happy I was with the album mix. Just wish there was some stories behind the writing included in the liner notes.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1265 on: February 14, 2023, 06:28:42 AM »
It was a fun listen, but I can't imagine listening very often.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1266 on: February 14, 2023, 06:55:14 AM »
I feel like the demos are the most interesting ones in general, really enjoyed this release.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1267 on: February 14, 2023, 07:35:55 AM »
It was a fun listen, but I can't imagine listening very often.

This is my take as well. Enjoyed my listen, but won't be coming back to them anytime soon.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1268 on: February 16, 2023, 06:53:51 AM »
Do we know what the next release is going to be? Apologies if I missed it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1269 on: February 16, 2023, 08:39:17 AM »

Making of FII, coming in April. https://dream-theater.lnk.to/LNFA-TheMakingOfFalling-Into-Infinity-1997
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1270 on: February 16, 2023, 09:44:57 AM »
Thank you.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1271 on: February 16, 2023, 11:36:29 AM »

Making of FII, coming in April. https://dream-theater.lnk.to/LNFA-TheMakingOfFalling-Into-Infinity-1997

One of my least favorites. If you think the demo series doesn't have very much relistenability, you're in for a one and done listen.

The SFaM making of was better with the liner notes and also really hearing a progression of some songs mixed in with some killer vocal demos by Petrucci.

This one has a few interesting moments and that's it.

Wonder what's after that one

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1272 on: February 16, 2023, 11:42:11 AM »
The Making Of FII is kind of lame; I have two versions of that already.  The Director's Cut of FII, on the other hand, is essential listening, IMO.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1273 on: February 16, 2023, 11:44:34 AM »

One of my least favorites. If you think the demo series doesn't have very much relistenability, you're in for a one and done listen.

The SFaM making of was better with the liner notes and also really hearing a progression of some songs mixed in with some killer vocal demos by Petrucci.

This one has a few interesting moments and that's it.

Wonder what's after that one

The Making of SFaM also has the full album original mixes on the second disc.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1274 on: February 16, 2023, 11:45:56 AM »

All the rest have been one and dones.  I don't expect anything different on this one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1275 on: February 16, 2023, 11:55:55 AM »
The Making Of FII is kind of lame; I have two versions of that already.  The Director's Cut of FII, on the other hand, is essential listening, IMO.

Is that a real thing or something you cobbled together from the actual album, the demos and COTC?

I think the making of SFAM is fantastic and a lot of fun.  RIP Bongo.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1276 on: February 16, 2023, 12:19:22 PM »

Is that a real thing or something you cobbled together from the actual album, the demos and COTC?

I think the making of SFAM is fantastic and a lot of fun.  RIP Bongo.

It was a Ytsejam release.  The Official Bootleg, Falling Into Infinity Demos 1996-1997

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1277 on: February 16, 2023, 12:47:29 PM »
Those two "making of" titles are the least interesting things they're offering besides the cover series which I don't care about either... BUT, they're re-releasing the whole YJR catalog, so these had to come at some point anyway.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1278 on: February 16, 2023, 03:38:40 PM »
I would be interested in hearing a "Making Of" of The Astonishing. And also include an instrumental version of the album. That's a lot, but I also wouldn't mind if they released an Instrumental Demo of The Astonishing through this label.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1279 on: February 16, 2023, 03:44:52 PM »
I wonder if The Making of Scenes and the Scenes Original Mixes will be split up as two separate releases this time around.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1280 on: February 17, 2023, 10:21:19 PM »
I wonder if The Making of Scenes and the Scenes Original Mixes will be split up as two separate releases this time around.

Interesting thought. I could definitely see that happening just to get another month out of the old releases. They could do the same separating Dark Side of the Moon with the Saucerful of Floyd bonus disc.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1281 on: February 18, 2023, 06:42:33 AM »
I’m pretty much only in this to hear extended AWE jamming. I’m assuming it’s probably a bit longer and doesn’t do a fade out just to fade back in.

You would be wrong then.  :-\ They even do the fade thing in the demo

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1282 on: February 18, 2023, 01:05:58 PM »
I would be interested in hearing a "Making Of" of The Astonishing. And also include an instrumental version of the album. That's a lot, but I also wouldn't mind if they released an Instrumental Demo of The Astonishing through this label.

The Astonishing novel came with stems featuring 6 demos and rough drafts of Gift of Music and 4 completely unused song ideas.  Interesting to check out, especially to see if the unused ideas will ever end up in an official track down the road.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1283 on: February 18, 2023, 02:48:17 PM »

The Astonishing novel came with stems featuring 6 demos and rough drafts of Gift of Music and 4 completely unused song ideas.  Interesting to check out, especially to see if the unused ideas will ever end up in an official track down the road.

Yup, I have the novel and I have heard them. It would be neat to hear them work on the themes of the album, and hear how those formed into the different songs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1284 on: February 21, 2023, 01:09:17 PM »
So the Making of FIi is an April release and there's nothing announced yet for May. I wonder if it'll be a new Portnoy curated release.

If they do release the Making of SFAM with the alternate mix and the mastering is improved, I may double dip. Anybody with the originals feel the sound lacked (not just the mix)?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1285 on: February 21, 2023, 01:20:28 PM »
So the Making of FIi is an April release and there's nothing announced yet for May. I wonder if it'll be a new Portnoy curated release.

If they do release the Making of SFAM with the alternate mix and the mastering is improved, I may double dip. Anybody with the originals feel the sound lacked (not just the mix)?

I think the making of SFAM is awesome, and it never really occurred to me to fuss over the sound quality of JP doing (hilariously) crappy vocals on TSCO while being accompanied by Bongo the dog.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1286 on: February 21, 2023, 01:34:28 PM »
I'd like to see the bonus tracks from the Bucharest DVD (excerpts from their show in Mexico City 2002) available as a separate release too, but I'm not too positive about that.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1287 on: February 21, 2023, 01:42:53 PM »

I think the making of SFAM is awesome, and it never really occurred to me to fuss over the sound quality of JP doing (hilariously) crappy vocals on TSCO while being accompanied by Bongo the dog.

That's legendary. No qualms about that. I think the original mix of the album needed a better mastering job though

Offline JeopardousRaven

« Reply #1288 on: February 21, 2023, 02:12:23 PM »

Speaking of which, isn't it a bit strange that they haven't announced what the next release will be? Seems like they typically announce the next release within a day or so of the current month's official release. Maybe we'll find out in March since we're still about three months away instead of the usual 2 month window between announcement and release? Anyways, I'd love a drop from the Portnoy Archives. Obviously a full show from the BC&SL tour is a big want for a lot of people but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a full show from the Chaos in Motion tour. There's a lot of stuff they played on that tour that didn't make it onto CiM 2007-2008 like Misunderstood, Never Enough, Erotomania, and Voices. They could also release one of the shows they did for the Images and Words 15th Anniversary since James sounded incredible on those shows.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #1289 on: February 21, 2023, 02:21:59 PM »
So still no word on the Images and Words demo U.S. release?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1290 on: February 21, 2023, 02:43:52 PM »

I mean this in the nicest way, simply as a counterpoint, but honestly I never had any issues with the sound of the Ytsejam releases.  They aren't big production, big label releases, and for me they sound just fine.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1291 on: February 21, 2023, 09:47:47 PM »

I mean this in the nicest way, simply as a counterpoint, but honestly I never had any issues with the sound of the Ytsejam releases.  They aren't big production, big label releases, and for me they sound just fine.

But the SFAM alternate Mixes were supposed to be the big production, big label release. That's the only one I'm talking about. The rest are fine for what they are

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1292 on: February 22, 2023, 06:30:09 AM »

But the SFAM alternate Mixes were supposed to be the big production, big label release. That's the only one I'm talking about. The rest are fine for what they are

Gotcha; that's my bad, I missed that part!  :).  Sorry.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1293 on: February 27, 2023, 02:48:04 PM »
Really digging the Distance Over Time Demos.   Mangini hasn't ever sounded so good (in Dream Theater anyway).  Love that organic sound.  The first part of "Out Of Reach" is just gorgeous.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1294 on: March 01, 2023, 08:29:59 AM »
Really digging the Distance Over Time Demos.   Mangini hasn't ever sounded so good (in Dream Theater anyway).  Love that organic sound.  The first part of "Out Of Reach" is just gorgeous.
That's true.  He sounds great.