Author Topic: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread  (Read 113249 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread
« Reply #1155 on: January 18, 2023, 08:21:34 PM »

When he yelled "Hey Jordan!" I expected the show to come to a crashing halt lol. That would have startled the hell out of me if I was performing live.

Betcha $10 Jordan didn't have MP's mike in his monitor mix.
I was thinking about that. Unless Portnoy gave stage directions (doubt it), I don’t really see why JR would need backing vocals in his monitor mix. 

It was obviously an exciting moment for Portnoy, he was having a good time.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1156 on: January 19, 2023, 03:12:52 AM »

I get the excitement. I wish I had been at that show. I was in the city that night - I saw people on the train in DT shirts. But alas, other plans. I wonder if they will ever play MSG again?

Online pg1067

« Reply #1157 on: January 19, 2023, 05:09:35 AM »

I wonder if they will ever play MSG again?

They don't seem to have the ability to play places anywhere near that large, so the only way would seem to be if they signed on to open for someone else.  Since they already opened for Maiden, and since Rush no longer exists, I'm not sure any band on that level exists.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1158 on: January 19, 2023, 05:34:36 AM »
Metallica, maybe?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1159 on: January 19, 2023, 06:53:47 AM »
Metallica, maybe?
That would be the only one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1160 on: January 19, 2023, 07:06:14 AM »
DT opening for Metallica would be odd though, don't you think? (with DT's music largely being substantially more difficult and largely substantially harder to digest for the average Metallica audience as it were), although Rob Trujillo might like DT's work (seemed to be open for lots of things during an interview I watched)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1161 on: January 19, 2023, 07:11:46 AM »
I think you guys are sort of over-estimating the selectivity of some of these pairings.  Now, granted, maybe the band wouldn't want to go on next to certain acts, but the headliner need not be the exact genre or level of skill (whatever that is) as DT.

EDIT:  Amazon says delivery by March 5th; apparently my order was lost but not forgotten.  ;)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1162 on: January 19, 2023, 07:50:12 AM »
I think you guys are sort of over-estimating the selectivity of some of these pairings.  Now, granted, maybe the band wouldn't want to go on next to certain acts, but the headliner need not be the exact genre or level of skill (whatever that is) as DT.

EDIT:  Amazon says delivery by March 5th; apparently my order was lost but not forgotten.  ;)
what a pun :D
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1163 on: January 19, 2023, 09:22:00 AM »
Metallica, maybe?
That would be the only one.

And Metallica may be too big to play the Garden with a known opener.   Last Metallica arena tour had a comedian as the opener and now they are going back to playing stadiums.  I actually think that's a good answer, but still incredibly unlikely IMO.

Yeah, DT could theoretically get paired up with another big band that's not exactly progressive metal.  Like a Disturbed or Smashing Pumpkins?  But the reality, does DT want to open for someone they may not associate with?  I feel like that's a risk they may not want to take at this point in their career.  But without DT maybe bending a little bit, I'd say the likelihood is very low for them to play MSG again.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1164 on: January 19, 2023, 09:31:20 AM »

DT's catalogue is diverse enough that I bet they could craft a setlist that would be complimentary to just about any band.

I would love to see how heavy that set would be if they ever did open for Metallica.

Fall into the Light would be fantastic in that set!

Offline NoFred

« Reply #1165 on: January 19, 2023, 11:46:05 AM »
Muse is one that plays arenas and uses openers, and I think DT could craft a short song and ballad kind of setlist that would play well.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1166 on: January 19, 2023, 11:48:01 AM »
Muse is one that plays arenas and uses openers, and I think DT could craft a short song and ballad kind of setlist that would play well.

Time to play Never Enough again :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline NoFred

« Reply #1167 on: January 19, 2023, 12:01:33 PM »

Time to play Never Enough again :P

Haha yeah, I avoided taking the “very similar setlist” angle. I think a set with Panic Attack, Forsaken, Fatal Tragedy, maybe something from DT12 and The Astonishing could play well to a Muse audience

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1168 on: January 19, 2023, 12:04:15 PM »
Funny enough, I have tickets to see Muse at MSG in a couple months, the opener is Evanescence

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1169 on: January 19, 2023, 02:45:58 PM »

DT's catalogue is diverse enough that I bet they could craft a setlist that would be complimentary to just about any band.

I would love to see how heavy that set would be if they ever did open for Metallica.

i would assume Pull Me Under would be played as it’s the song with the highest chance of being known by the average Metallica fan. As I Am would HAVE to be the opener. I think something like this would work well.

As I Am
Constant Motion
Fall Into the Light
Panic Attack
The Dance of Eternity
The Enemy Inside
Pull Me Under
Awaken the Master

It’s about an hour, and its heavy enough to satisfy the average Metallica fan while being progressive enough to give the fans a taste of what the band is really about.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1170 on: January 19, 2023, 02:49:06 PM »
I'd love to see The Enemy Inside back in the set.  Very underrated single from DT IMO.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1171 on: January 19, 2023, 03:47:02 PM »
I'd love to see The Enemy Inside back in the set.  Very underrated single from DT IMO.

It's a great track.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1172 on: January 19, 2023, 05:47:14 PM »

I wonder how Honor Thy Father would go over with the Metallica fan base? :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1173 on: January 19, 2023, 06:20:44 PM »

Possibly better than Portnoy.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1174 on: January 19, 2023, 06:25:47 PM »

Possibly better than Portnoy.

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1175 on: January 20, 2023, 06:26:31 AM »

i would assume Pull Me Under would be played as it’s the song with the highest chance of being known by the average Metallica fan. As I Am would HAVE to be the opener. I think something like this would work well.

As I Am
Constant Motion
Fall Into the Light
Panic Attack
The Dance of Eternity
The Enemy Inside
Pull Me Under
Awaken the Master

It’s about an hour, and its heavy enough to satisfy the average Metallica fan while being progressive enough to give the fans a taste of what the band is really about.

I'd go see that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1176 on: January 24, 2023, 11:31:52 AM »
Probably similar to that Grasspop Festival set they did.  Anybody remember that?

It was some time ago, Portnoy was still in the band.  If memory serves, that was (for DT) a brutal setlist, all their heaviest shit at the time.  I have a boot of it somewhere, but I can't put my hands on it right now.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1177 on: January 24, 2023, 11:39:24 AM »
Probably similar to that Grasspop Festival set they did.  Anybody remember that?

It was some time ago, Portnoy was still in the band.  If memory serves, that was (for DT) a brutal setlist, all their heaviest shit at the time.  I have a boot of it somewhere, but I can't put my hands on it right now.

The Graspop Festival (2002 IIRC) DTIFC CD was amazing. I still play it from time to time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1178 on: January 24, 2023, 11:55:45 AM »

The Graspop Festival (2002 IIRC) DTIFC CD was amazing. I still play it from time to time.

That would be this set then:

The Glass Prison
The Mirror
Lie
Peruvian Skies
War Inside My Head
The Test That Stumped Them All
The Great Debate
Act II: Scene Six: Home
Pull Me Under
Master of Puppets (Metallica cover) (second half; followed by " Pull Me Under" reprise)

actually looks like they've done a few Graspop festivals, all with pretty cool heavy sets

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1179 on: January 24, 2023, 12:49:31 PM »

I have it!

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1180 on: January 24, 2023, 02:08:11 PM »

I also have this one. This is actually the first time I ever heard Master of Puppets!

It's been a few years since I spun this one, but I believe Home had an abridged intro that I remember digging.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1181 on: January 24, 2023, 02:28:39 PM »

I also have this one. This is actually the first time I ever heard Master of Puppets!

It's been a few years since I spun this one, but I believe Home had an abridged intro that I remember digging.

I believe you are right about Home but The Great Debate is a killer track on this one. Love the aggressive tone that James' did with this one on this recording.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1182 on: January 24, 2023, 03:23:46 PM »
That's my kind of setlist.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1183 on: January 24, 2023, 03:39:47 PM »
Back around 2005 once I started getting deep into DT, I hunted down the DTIFC discs off eBay and other places, and the Graspop disc was one of the first I got. Great setlist and definitely a precursor for the band wanting to do a more heavy metal album (Train Of Thought). I'm sure them doing Graspop had some influence in wanting to produce an album that was much heavier than anything they had done before, and that set list is a great companion to TOT if you love the heavy side of DT.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1184 on: January 25, 2023, 08:47:59 AM »

That would be this set then:

The Glass Prison
The Mirror
Lie
Peruvian Skies
War Inside My Head
The Test That Stumped Them All
The Great Debate
Act II: Scene Six: Home
Pull Me Under
Master of Puppets (Metallica cover) (second half; followed by " Pull Me Under" reprise)

actually looks like they've done a few Graspop festivals, all with pretty cool heavy sets
:metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1185 on: January 25, 2023, 08:49:34 AM »
I'm pretty sure the beginning of The Glass Prison is used from a patch of a boot. I think I have that right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1186 on: January 25, 2023, 08:55:38 AM »
Back around 2005 once I started getting deep into DT, I hunted down the DTIFC discs off eBay and other places, and the Graspop disc was one of the first I got. Great setlist and definitely a precursor for the band wanting to do a more heavy metal album (Train Of Thought). I'm sure them doing Graspop had some influence in wanting to produce an album that was much heavier than anything they had done before, and that set list is a great companion to TOT if you love the heavy side of DT.

-Marc.

One thing I miss about DT was their desire to be apart of the metal community.  While they still do some festivals, it's not like they used to.  And just touring in general since they mostly tour alone, they just don't seem to be apart of the metal community like they used to.  MP recently shared a picture with some of the guys in Slayer and Pantera saying that those bands played before DT at that festival.  Kind of crazy to think that. 

There's still a part of me that would love to see DT tag along on like a Slipknot Roadshow type of tour or something.  One of those summer 4 metal band amphitheater tours. They likely wouldn't headline but would be the second to last band on the bill.  Get a lot of exposure to gain new fans.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1188 on: January 25, 2023, 09:58:50 AM »
That was pretty interesting, thanks for the link. I agree with MP that it would’ve been nice to have liner notes, the way things are released digitally now makes it logistically tough but I’m curious what JP said to Portnoy when he asked as that has been a head scratcher to me as well. Feels like some of these are quickly slapped together without much thought. It’s awesome that Portnoy has some involvement now.

Anyone know what mistakes he’s referring to? Sounds like some errors in the Mangini era releases.

Btw, man I hadn’t been on blabbermouth in a long time. It’s become quite the tabloid.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1189 on: January 25, 2023, 11:10:11 AM »
That was pretty interesting, thanks for the link. I agree with MP that it would’ve been nice to have liner notes, the way things are released digitally now makes it logistically tough but I’m curious what JP said to Portnoy when he asked as that has been a head scratcher to me as well. Feels like some of these are quickly slapped together without much thought. It’s awesome that Portnoy has some involvement now.

I'm sure, with the decline of physical media, they want to make the package as inexpensive as possible.  The more expensive vinyl releases, though, I would think could include liner notes, at least. 

Anyone know what mistakes he’s referring to? Sounds like some errors in the Mangini era releases.

More likely the stuff previously released under Ytsejam Records, as MP would have more knowledge about them.