Author Topic: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread  (Read 113211 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread
« Reply #1120 on: January 14, 2023, 07:16:44 AM »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Trav86

Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1122 on: January 14, 2023, 07:36:31 AM »
Well, that settles it. I guess after 3 new releases in a row, taking a month off makes sense. Nice find :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1123 on: January 14, 2023, 08:22:48 AM »
I know this kind of release has its audience, but I barely listen to those "making of" once... and they have almost zero replay value for me. I prefer much more the live releases and, after that, good quality demos and covers, in this order.
By the way, listening to the newer live releases that Jimmy T mixed (Berlin and Wacken), I think he's making a tremendous job, totally nailing it!!
Just comparing with 2010's MSG release, despite JLB not being in his best days anymore, I must admit I'm loving the super tight instrumental performance of DT nowadays.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 08:33:27 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1124 on: January 14, 2023, 08:55:51 AM »
I know this kind of release has its audience, but I barely listen to those "making of" once... and they have almost zero replay value for me. I prefer much more the live releases and, after that, good quality demos and covers, in this order.

Agree. Also, without MP liner notes the Making Of series is almost pointless although I'm not sure if Mike even did notes for the FII release. Can't remember off hand

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1125 on: January 14, 2023, 09:00:58 AM »

Maybe, now that Mike is contributing to these releases, we might get some new liner notes?

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1126 on: January 14, 2023, 09:06:17 AM »

Agree. Also, without MP liner notes the Making Of series is almost pointless although I'm not sure if Mike even did notes for the FII release. Can't remember off hand

For the Making of FII, no. But the Making of Scenes has 6 pages of liner notes on the Official Bootleg. :tup

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1127 on: January 14, 2023, 09:28:34 AM »
The making of FII never made it to the Official Bootlegs. It was a fan club CD in 1997. I think this is the  first fan club CD to make it to the LNF Archives.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1128 on: January 14, 2023, 09:37:03 AM »
No, there was an official bootleg version. Catalog number YTSEJAM016
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1129 on: January 14, 2023, 09:43:06 AM »

For the Making of FII, no. But the Making of Scenes has 6 pages of liner notes on the Official Bootleg. :tup

Yep! That's why I was so exciting for more Making Of boots because of how interesting the SFAM one was (liner notes and all). FII was...good for a listen or two and I guess as a companion piece for the excellent demo cd but just a bunch of random clips without much context.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1130 on: January 14, 2023, 09:50:00 AM »
No, there was an official bootleg version. Catalog number YTSEJAM016

I must’ve completely forgotten that. Thanks for reminding me! It sucks getting old.
Can't we find the minds

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1131 on: January 14, 2023, 10:03:50 AM »
I only have the official bootleg version of it, so I don't know if the original fan club version had liner notes - I believe not, since they were very bare bones releases at its beginning.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1132 on: January 14, 2023, 10:32:08 AM »
Since they have yet to open up the LNF series to anything other than new releases and Official Bootleg CDs... there's only six left that haven't been re-released after April...

WDADU demos
Making of SFAM
Live in Tokyo 1995
Live in LA 1998
Dark Side of the Moon
Uncovered 2003-2005

After that... only speculating, but they could open it up to Official Bootleg DVDs (I can see this happening), the Lazy Tomato Entertainment series (LTE official boots - doubtful), or Fan Club CDs (somewhere in the middle). Otherwise it's all unreleased stuff. Does that mean it slows down to less than 10-11 a year? How long does this series last? I wouldn't mind if it slowed down a bit, just in terms of my wallet. But I will take as much as they want to give! Been waiting over ten years for these to come back, and it's been a great couple years so far.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online javidt

« Reply #1133 on: January 14, 2023, 11:58:24 AM »
Since they have yet to open up the LNF series to anything other than new releases and Official Bootleg CDs... there's only six left that haven't been re-released after April...

WDADU demos
Making of SFAM
Live in Tokyo 1995
Live in LA 1998
Dark Side of the Moon
Uncovered 2003-2005

After that... only speculating, but they could open it up to Official Bootleg DVDs (I can see this happening), the Lazy Tomato Entertainment series (LTE official boots - doubtful), or Fan Club CDs (somewhere in the middle). Otherwise it's all unreleased stuff. Does that mean it slows down to less than 10-11 a year? How long does this series last? I wouldn't mind if it slowed down a bit, just in terms of my wallet. But I will take as much as they want to give! Been waiting over ten years for these to come back, and it's been a great couple years so far.

Speaking of LTE bootlegs, my LA blu ray stop working years ago :(. Anyone have had the same issue?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1134 on: January 14, 2023, 12:08:21 PM »

WDADU demos
Making of SFAM
Live in Tokyo 1995
Live in LA 1998
Dark Side of the Moon
Uncovered 2003-2005

I'm patiently waiting for audio versions of the Bucharest and Santiago shows.

As for what's next, most likely some of the Fan Club CDs (the ones that don't overlap with the re-releases from YJR), but I wouldn't worry too much about this overall. MP said he contributed to *several* new titles and there's also a bunch of MM era stuff they haven't even touched yet: Astonishing live, ADTOE demos, live tracks from 2015-2017 like ACOS and BTV, TA demos, Mangini's full audition, Top of the World tour live...

There's just lots of great stuff they can offer for years to come, specially considering they keep taking a couple months off with no releases each year and that they also seem to remove tracks from live shows that have to be released at some point later :lol :facepalm:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1135 on: January 14, 2023, 12:26:27 PM »
I am skeptical that DVDs would sell, but then again if you told me they were going to do (almost) monthly CD/vinyl releases of demos and live recordings, I also would've said that probably won't sell so what do I know? I just hope that if they do release video content, they release it in audio format as well. I really like those Santiago and Bucharest shows but would much rather listen to them than break out a DVD player (which I don't even have anymore).

I actually really like the two making of discs. It makes sense that FII doesn't have liner notes since the FII demos album was really in depth. And, actually, I find the audio really speaks for itself. The band is hashing out the songs in the studio, I don't really feel like that much additional commentary is required.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline jimgolf

« Reply #1136 on: January 14, 2023, 06:16:24 PM »
I am skeptical that DVDs would sell, but then again if you told me they were going to do (almost) monthly CD/vinyl releases of demos and live recordings, I also would've said that probably won't sell so what do I know? I just hope that if they do release video content, they release it in audio format as well. I really like those Santiago and Bucharest shows but would much rather listen to them than break out a DVD player (which I don't even have anymore).

I actually really like the two making of discs. It makes sense that FII doesn't have liner notes since the FII demos album was really in depth. And, actually, I find the audio really speaks for itself. The band is hashing out the songs in the studio, I don't really feel like that much additional commentary is required.

I may be an old fashioned 30 year old, but I still really enjoy buying dvds/Blu-ray’s of concerts. It’s tough to justify buying a cd of a release that is on a streaming platform I already pay for, but buying a dvd I can’t get anywhere else is a different story. Plus my copy of Bucharest is dead and it’s one of my favorite dream theater shows so I am eagerly hoping they release it again.

Maybe they can release something from the chaos in motion tour(I remember Mike saying they filmed every show from that tour and there are definitely better James performances than what ended up on the chaos in motion dvd - conspiracy, I suspect the bad performances that ended up were because of bad blood between James and mike and were maybe going to be used as a justification for moving on from him.)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 07:51:31 PM by jimgolf »

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #1137 on: January 14, 2023, 08:33:29 PM »

Maybe they can release something from the chaos in motion tour(I remember Mike saying they filmed every show from that tour and there are definitely better James performances than what ended up on the chaos in motion dvd - conspiracy, I suspect the bad performances that ended up were because of bad blood between James and mike and were maybe going to be used as a justification for moving on from him.)

I don't think they filmed every show. I do remember hearing they recorded every show. That's one reason why there's a couple different performances on the CDs from that set.
I don't think it was MP having it out for James as much as he was just using what footage he had.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 08:39:02 PM by sfam2112 »
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1138 on: January 16, 2023, 09:14:37 AM »
I really dug the MSG disc. The band was playing with a ton of energy but also super tight. Although I like a lot of what they are doing now, I liked the raw feel of the band playing on stage without backing tracks. I don't think this was one of JLB's better tours, but I appreciated his energy. It's also great to have a live recording of A Rite of Passage, that song went down really well.

The Final Frontier tour was my intro to Dream Theater. I know a lot of folks around here aren't crazy about the setlist, but it was really perfect for trying to introduce Maiden fans to Dream Theater. Keeping it heavy but with enough of the prog zaniness to show that DT had something unique to offer. Also, with Maiden heavily emphasizing their more progressive side during this period, Dream Theater was really the perfect opener. Nice to go back in time!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1139 on: January 16, 2023, 09:19:56 AM »

I don't think they filmed every show. I do remember hearing they recorded every show. That's one reason why there's a couple different performances on the CDs from that set.
I don't think it was MP having it out for James as much as he was just using what footage he had.
Correct on the bolded. That's the reason why the live video footage for Chaos in Motion is limited to 6 shows and isn't as good as the Budokan or Score shows. Actually, the footage was pro-shot but not commissioned by the band, but MP apparently got it licensed for inclusion after the fact.

As for the different performances of BF and Surrounded '07 on the CD versus the DVD, that was purely accidental. Here's what MP said about it when I interviewed him in 2009:
MP: Putting together that set, I had based the song picks on the video footage I had. I looked at what was best represented on video and I picked the Toronto show for Blind Faith and Surrounded. I had my list of all the videos that were being edited for the video and I sent Kevin Shirley the list of what to mix the audio from. And he mixed what we thought was the Toronto show for Blind Faith and Surrounded. We synced it back up to the video, only to find out that it was from a completely different show – somebody sent him the wrong tapes, and we couldn’t find the Toronto audio. So the audio for Toronto was missing and here we were with this mixed audio of Blind Faith and Surrounded, and we had no idea what show it was even from. So even to this day, I have no idea of what show those specific performances are from.

SH: Yeah, because I noticed there’s no credit listed for them!

MP: You guys could probably go through the [audience bootleg recordings of the] shows and figure it out, but I have no idea. But we already had the video edited and so it was either cut the songs – which I didn’t want to do for the video – or we just go with the live audio mix for the video and we’ll use these mixes for the CD.

SH: The reason why I was asking was because I was thinking “if you’re picking out different performances for those songs, why didn’t you go ahead and hand pick each song for the CD as opposed to the DVD?”

MP: No – it was a total mystery. The Toronto tapes were missing, Kevin Shirley mixed the show, we lined it up, and I was like “why isn’t this matching?” We were trying to move the video and ultimately found out that it was a completely different show.
Incidentally, a few years back when I was listening to the various shows from that tour, I discovered that the performances of BF and Surrounded '07 on CD are from May 9, 2008 in Calgary, Alberta.  :)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TheRich13

« Reply #1140 on: January 16, 2023, 09:49:52 AM »
So looks like we’re getting an April release but no March release… wonder what the difference is between Falling into Infinity Demos and Making of Falling into Infinity ?
My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
My Mother irons and my Father steals.
There are more horse’s asses in the world, than there are horses.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1141 on: January 16, 2023, 09:55:18 AM »
So looks like we’re getting an April release but no March release… wonder what the difference is between Falling into Infinity Demos and Making of Falling into Infinity ?
The demos are complete songs but not in their final versions. The making of features many different excerpts of each song as they are recording them in the studio, with varying amounts of orchestration (sometimes just a single instrument, sometimes full band, etc.). There's only one complete track, which is an alternate version of TAMP while I think they were trying to rework the arrangement, but IIRC, it doesn't feature a guitar solo or anything like that. Probably the most interesting thing for me was hearing part of YNM in its original key before they tuned it down (probably because it would've been too high for JL to sing vocally, and it was pegged to be a single and therefore probably performed live often until it failed miserably).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1142 on: January 17, 2023, 08:26:08 AM »
Probably not going to happen, but if they re-release the videos as well, I hope they upgrade to Blu-Ray instead of putting out DVDs.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1143 on: January 17, 2023, 08:38:04 AM »
Probably not going to happen, but if they re-release the videos as well, I hope they upgrade to Blu-Ray instead of putting out DVDs.

Not happening. They re-released Budokan on Blu-Ray and then didn't even bother to do Score (though maybe there were some behind the scenes issues with that?), no chance they'll do it with the bootlegs.

Best thing we can hope for is the official audio versions of those DVD only older releases.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1144 on: January 17, 2023, 12:42:40 PM »
Not happening. They re-released Budokan on Blu-Ray and then didn't even bother to do Score (though maybe there were some behind the scenes issues with that?), no chance they'll do it with the bootlegs.

Best thing we can hope for is the official audio versions of those DVD only older releases.
Agreed. And given that they are doing digipaks for all of these, it would be much easier to release a triple CD set than when YJR was releasing them in jewel cases (tho I absolutely hate digipaks). Maybe it will happen, maybe not. I guess time will tell...

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1145 on: January 18, 2023, 09:35:35 AM »
Awesome. Latest release is delayed on Amazon  ::) :angry:

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #1146 on: January 18, 2023, 02:11:00 PM »
Just picked up a copy of the Madison Square Garden release. I'm a big fan of the setlist from this gig and James sounds on good form!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1147 on: January 18, 2023, 03:04:25 PM »
I wasn't following to even know they released the MSG show, I was there and listening now  :metal

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1148 on: January 18, 2023, 03:08:00 PM »
Just listened to the MSG show. Mike talked too much during the songs, IMO.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1149 on: January 18, 2023, 03:09:42 PM »

Yeah, and it was a bit cringey.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1150 on: January 18, 2023, 03:34:52 PM »

I'm just laughing they actually left them in there. Well, at least we know they're not cutting out anything with these recordings.  :lol

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1151 on: January 18, 2023, 04:18:01 PM »

When he yelled "Hey Jordan!" I expected the show to come to a crashing halt lol. That would have startled the hell out of me if I was performing live.

Also, the part where James sings "Is it something to do with where I come from?" and Mike shouts out "I come from Long Island!" or whatever it was... Ugh. He wanted the crowd to eat it up but it was almost puke inducing.

I still love Mike.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1152 on: January 18, 2023, 06:16:50 PM »

When he yelled "Hey Jordan!" I expected the show to come to a crashing halt lol. That would have startled the hell out of me if I was performing live.

Betcha $10 Jordan didn't have MP's mike in his monitor mix.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1153 on: January 18, 2023, 06:48:00 PM »

Betcha $10 Jordan didn't have MP's mike in his monitor mix.

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #1154 on: January 18, 2023, 06:56:34 PM »

Also, the part where James sings "Is it something to do with where I come from?" and Mike shouts out "I come from Long Island!" or whatever it was... Ugh. He wanted the crowd to eat it up but it was almost puke inducing.

Yeah. Some of his interjections were a little off-putting. But I get it. He was excited. He couldn't help himself sometimes.  ;D

I still love Mike.

Yep :)
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie